Author Topic: Wii U - e3 is over... now what?  (Read 1572171 times)

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U
« Reply #1925 on: January 11, 2012, 03:43:20 AM »
Adrock, I have owned every Nintendo system ever made and that includes the Virtual Boy. I may not have owned every single game on them and at full price like you suggest, but to do so would have cost no doubt many 10s of thousands of dollars. But isn't it enough that I owned the systems and the games I was interested in? There are collectors out there who try to own every game in existence, but that takes more money than I have. Maybe by your logic I am not as loyal as those collectors, but you know what? Since these collectors want to own every game in existence that means they want to own the Operation Rainfall games too, so I'm sure they agree with me.

That makes you every other consumer ever

No it doesn't. How many people can say they've owned every Nintendo console since the beginning? That fact alone puts me ahead of most consumers, and it sure as hell puts me ahead of the casuals who jumped on the Wii bandwagon only because it was a 15 minute fad. Where were these "loyal" casual gamers during the dark days of the Gamecube years when Nintendo needed them most? They were no where to be seen then, but I was there. I owned a Gamecube. I didn't own every game ever made for it, but I had a good 30 games or so. Doesn't that count for anything?
is your sanity...

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #1926 on: January 11, 2012, 03:51:14 AM »
Looking at the Vita I kind of wish that the Wii U had returned to cartridges.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Lithium

• disparaging user title
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #1927 on: January 11, 2012, 07:47:08 AM »

i totally realize that by this chart i have a dick rating of 1 but it was worth it.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #1928 on: January 11, 2012, 08:05:17 AM »
That chart is accurate. I'm a dick rating of 2. A message board is meant for discussion and I'm arguing because I disagree with something.

@Chozo

So, like every other consumer, you bought the things you wanted and not the things you didn't or couldn't afford. Is that right? Most of those things just happened to be Nintendo branded. You didn't support Nintendo out of the goodness of your heart. You didn't donate to a cause. You paid for a service Nintendo provided and you did so gladly because you deemed Nintendo's products and services worthy of the money you paid them. Clearly, you got something out of each and every transaction. That's just regular consumerism.

I know what a loyal customer is in the business sense. I'm merely disagreeing with your definition of it. You put yourself on this "loyal customer" pedestal. However, you're not doing anything more than many other long-time Nintendo fans have done. We've all spent thousands of dollars on Nintendo things. The difference is that out of those long-time Nintendo fans, the majority is not throwing tantrums. This isn't about casual gamers. I don't know why you keep bringing them up. The fact of the matter is that the vast majority of long-time core Nintendo fans have accepted the reality of the Rainfall games and they don't except preferential treatment either.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 08:15:49 AM by Adrock »

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #1929 on: January 11, 2012, 08:20:51 AM »
Adrock, I didn't just buy Nintendo products; I ONLY bought Nintendo products. I never owned a Sega, Playstation, Xbox, or anything else until last year when I bought a PS3 only because the Wii was such a huge disappointment. So that means I was loyal to Nintendo through the N64 and Gamecube era and even the first half of the Wii era and I didn't buy the product of competitors even though it had stuff I wanted. When I bought a PS3 last year I didn't see it as me betraying Nintendo, but rather an acknowledgement that Nintendo has betrayed me so it was time for me to move on.

So now thanks to this casual focus this generation they have to win me back with the Wii U, and with the name "Wii U" that already puts them on thin ice as far as I'm concerned. They better not withhold the games I want to play on it like they did on the Wii, otherwise they can count me out. Its going to take something more substantial than Wii U Sports and Wii U Fit and Wii U Music to win me over. If that ends up being all the system is going to have on it then what is the point? It would just gather dust like my Wii is now doing.

I'm not the only gamer who has been severely disappointed in the Wii and felt that it nowhere near matched hype and expectations. Maybe you are satisfied with it, and if so that's great... but not everyone else is.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 08:26:18 AM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #1930 on: January 11, 2012, 08:43:36 AM »
You do realise it's virtually impossible not to have a dick rating when discussing anything on the internet based on that chart. Although there are things that break that chart like actual facts, figures and well researched expert opinion like white papers, but then I have seen idiots get into heated arguments over middle school level maths.

I have been donged...
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1931 on: January 11, 2012, 01:30:11 PM »
People that crap on the concept of arguments on the internet do so entirely because they're wrong and subconsciously know it and the only way to maintain the illusion of being right is to prohibit all discussion of the issue.

I'm sort of joking.

Sort of.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1932 on: January 11, 2012, 01:49:51 PM »
People that crap on the concept of arguments on the internet do so entirely because they're wrong and subconsciously know it and the only way to maintain the illusion of being right is to prohibit all discussion of the issue.

I'm sort of joking.

Sort of.
Exactly the same for politics.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #1933 on: January 11, 2012, 02:31:07 PM »

I'm sort of joking.

Sort of.

there is another word for that it starts with a T and ends with an L
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Retro in crunch time? Hires some HD talent!
« Reply #1934 on: January 11, 2012, 07:07:30 PM »
Retro hires ex-Naughty Dog Artist (Uncharted), ex-Darksiders Designer & 1 other
game supposedly coming this year as "crunch time" is upon them.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=34161262&postcount=1

GAFfers stalk one of them on twitter and forces him to kill his account...
all the details at the link

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1935 on: January 11, 2012, 08:26:45 PM »
Yikes. A lot of heavy discussion going on, here.

In any case, I hope that the launch of the Wii U has some strong titles- guaranteed hits, if I may- because I would hate to see Nintendo fail this late in the game.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #1936 on: January 11, 2012, 09:58:36 PM »
I've been a Nintendo-only gamer all my life when it comes to consoles and handhelds (My psx and gamegear were gifts! Gifts I say!). However, Nintendo doesn't have to win me back for the Wii U. They never lost me in the first place.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
uMote screen better than iPad...
« Reply #1937 on: January 11, 2012, 11:24:58 PM »
uMote gets praise @ CES

The new controller is an impressive thing to hold in your hands. It feels solid and comfortable, and nothing about it marks it as a weak link. The screen itself is bright and beautiful, much clearer than the screen on an iPad, and even small details of the games are able to be seen clearly. The controller's speakers also do a good job of delivering information to the player via audio clues. I could easily see playing entire games without a TV, using just the screen on the controller. I asked about the possibility of playing Wii games in high definition, and was flatly told that the hardware will not be able to improve the resolution of Wii games.

Some GREAT news and some expected reconfirmation.
Better than an iPad screen though!? ;D

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1938 on: January 12, 2012, 12:01:09 AM »
Tokyo/Street Demo revealed
http://www.theverge.com/2012/1/11/2700613/nintendo-wii-u-video-walkthrough
about 2:30 in

Likened to a realtime Google streetview. Graphics look pretty damn good (assuming it is rendered at all).

« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 12:11:14 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1939 on: January 12, 2012, 01:01:48 AM »
That was a great vid! Is there any other recent video that does such a clear and close-up job of showing the Wii U in action? I'm excited!

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1940 on: January 12, 2012, 01:11:57 AM »
Here is one from CNN and it's guest staring Reggie
http://money.cnn.com/video/technology/2012/01/10/ts_ces_wii_u.cnnmoney/?iid=HP_LN

(no new onformation.... as expected)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 01:13:30 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1941 on: January 12, 2012, 01:36:11 AM »
Nintendo spokespeople have been giving no-new-information for years. The only difference with Reggie is that he does it while so obviously giving the company PR line. In contrast, true Jedi masters like Perrin... *swoon*... They gave you no-new-information, but they did it with style and fun and with a twinkle in their eye.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #1942 on: January 12, 2012, 01:43:16 AM »
Don't remind me of Perrin, she can braid my hair any day.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1943 on: January 12, 2012, 05:52:25 PM »

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #1944 on: January 13, 2012, 12:45:07 PM »
I'm not sure this info came up in any of the previous links.

One thing that was clear with the 3DS was that the launch titles didn't have the impact of Super Mario 3D Land or Mario Kart 7, and that software was the biggest reason the 3DS did well over the holidays. Software drives hardware; we found that out with 3DS. There was great anticipation of course for Zelda: Ocarina of Time, but a lot of consumers were waiting for two or three other Mario titles so that when they bought the hardware they had great high-quality games that they were dying to play right out of the gate.

We expect to have great first party titles but also great software support in general for Wii U when it comes out later this year. I think with Wii U we want to make sure we have great software right at launch.

They seem to say this every time, and maybe this time they really will deliver with an awesome game at launch. But it shouldn't be a lesson that has to be learned, it's a given. Though I guess TP was a fine launch game, though moved from the GC makes it count less in my book. 

http://www.n-europe.com/news.php?nid=16710
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #1945 on: January 13, 2012, 01:04:03 PM »
Yeah, I'm not believing it. I remember Nintendo made similar assurances that the Wii wasn't going to have lengthy software droughts like the Gamecube and N64, but here we are...

Its the same story every time. At this point its like the boy that cried wolf. Maybe this time they are telling the truth and there really is a wolf (good software lineup), but after hearing them say that for so long you can't help but be skeptical.
is your sanity...

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1946 on: January 13, 2012, 01:43:06 PM »
Everybody WANTS a great software lineup at launch. But can they actually get one? Only the market can really decide how good a software lineup is, just look at the PSP Vita. It purportedly has an amazing launch lineup.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1947 on: January 13, 2012, 03:34:50 PM »
There will never be a  "good" Launch lineup.  Never.
Think back.  All launch lineups are not really that great.  Without the backlog no single point in any game systems life could really make a good launch.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #1948 on: January 13, 2012, 04:15:17 PM »
The GameCube launch lineup was amazing if you count games that came out two weeks after the hardware as launch games. Accepting that, there were at least five games in that lineup still worth playing to this day.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #1949 on: January 13, 2012, 05:25:27 PM »
Everybody WANTS a great software lineup at launch. But can they actually get one? Only the market can really decide how good a software lineup is, just look at the PSP Vita. It purportedly has an amazing launch lineup.

This really depends on what your definition of a great software lineup is.  Some people wouldn't mind having just one really good game, some want a half-dozen (even if they wouldn't play or even buy them all at launch), and of course everyone has their own favorite genres, which may or may not be represented.  Regardless, no matter how good a launch lineup is, or at least appears to be, there will be someone that complains about it...

I personally fall into the "one good game" category, though what I think would be more widely considered to be a good launch lineup is one where Ninty drops a single AAA game and tries to get as much third party variety (and effort, if possible) as they can.  I would think they have learned from 3DS' launch that they need to be a bit more proactive in getting third parties to have product ready, because even when they gave them a chance to shine third parties just twiddled their thumbs...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~