Author Topic: Fluidity: Spin Cycle - Review Revisit  (Read 1129 times)

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Fluidity: Spin Cycle - Review Revisit
« on: May 01, 2013, 04:42:35 AM »

We look back at Curve Studios' second Nintendo title.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/feature/34071/fluidity-spin-cycle-review-revisit

Fluidity (or Hydroventure, asit is called in Europe) is a young series that a lot of us atNintendo World Report hold near and dear to our heart. The originalgame, coming out on WiiWare at the tail end of 2010, came out duringa time when seemingly no one gave a crap about downloadable games onthe Wii. Despite Fluidity's astoundingquality, it was missed by a large part of the gamingpopulace. Woefully, the 3DS eShop follow-up, Fluidity: Spin Cycle,also came out at the end of the year. In Neal Ronaghan's 8.0-scoringreview, he noted: "The charm and quality ofthe original shines through even in Spin Cycle’s abbreviatedlevels, but in some ways, the game falls short, specifically in themany 360-degree rotation stages." He elaborated on his disappointment by still lauding the game's quality, despite missing the heavier exploration elements: "Theexperience is still fun and definitely worthwhile, but it’sdisappointing after the strike of lightning that was the firstFluidity."

While the fact that only threeother staffers felt like they could contribute to this feature says alot about the reach of Spin Cycle, we have many different opinions,all coming from people who really dug the first game. So join us aswe revisit Curve Studios' late 2012 3DS eShop release, Fluidity: SpinCycle.

And hey! Fluidity: Spin Cycle is on sale until May 9 in North America! Get the game for $7.99 instead of its normal $10.99 price tag! Nintendo must have heard Jonny's plea below...

You can also checkout our Review Revisits for GunmanClive and PaperMario: Sticker Star, and chime in if you want us to talkabout any other recent release in this manner.

Review from Jonathan Metts,Radio Free Nintendo Host

It's easy to claim thatSpin Cycle eschews the popular exploration aspects of itspredecessor, but that is simply not true. Instead, this portable gamefeatures far more total real estate, and although each level isrelatively smaller than the interconnected chapters of the originalFluidity (which was still segmented, on a different scale), secrets,alternative routes, and speed run tricks are abound that rewardskillful play and observant traversal. The variety of environments iseven greater in this sequel, and the controls are more forgivingoverall, including button-based jumps and optional touch features. Infact, my only serious gripes with this wonderful game are a middlingsoundtrack and repetitive boss battles. It is an overlooked,underplayed treasure of the eShop that will hopefully receive asecond chance when Nintendo finally puts it on sale to enticeadditional players.

Review from Tyler Ohlew,Features Editor

In its move to the 3DS, Fluidity:Spin Cycle's bullet points got shuffled and tinkered with. Mostnotably, players were forced to bid goodbye to the larger scope ofits predecessor's world. Suddenly, our Wetroid game wasn't so 'troidanymore.

Well, concessions were made,but I'm still over the moon for Spin Cycle. While the vastness isabsent, exploration is still the focus. Curve Studios shrunk down theexperience, but managed to keep what made it special. The levels areindeed smaller, but they make great use of the space provided. Expectto slosh around every corner in hopes of finding each and everysecret. The controls work splendidly, and while the idea of tiltingyour 3DS around in public seems silly, do you think it's any morecool to own a 3DS at all? Let them judge you as you tilt the machine,commanding your H2Her0 in the new stages that have you flipping itupside down and all around! A few control issues aside (accidentalpresses of the Home button, less than ideal touch screen functions),I'm just as happy with Spin Cycle as the original. Different, yes,but no less delightful.

Review from GuillaumeVeillette, Radio Free Nintendo Editor

I was a hugefan of the original Fluidity, which was about as close to a perfectWiiware game as I could imagine. Spin Cycle is very clever in the wayit adapted the gameplay to a handheld platform, but I have toquestion if bringing the series to a handheld was wise in the firstplace. The form factor of the 3DS just doesn't make motion gamingvery comfortable, for instance. You end up not being able to reachcertain buttons, and you've got the screen weighing down the top ofthe system. It doesn't feel right.

Plus, while I can understandwhy the game was divided into discrete bite-sized challenges with anextra emphasis on arcade platforming and time trials, I just neverfeel like it's the "right time" to play some Spin Cycle. Inpublic, it's unlikely I'll start playing this game that asks theplaying to twist the 3DS every which way. When I got a few minutes tospare and crave some arcade action, I'll go to a couple dozen gamesthat can scratch that itch. And when I'm at home and want to losemyself in a game for a couple of hours, Spin Cycle doesn't fit thebill, whereas the original would have.

As a result, I've ended upplaying very little of the game. Objectively, I can tell that it'swell made and that it has some clever puzzles, but a combination ofcertain design choices and the platform the game make Spin Cycle fallinto a weird space where there's always something else I'd ratherplay. Because I can't think of a score that can tell this story, I'mwithholding giving it one.

So now we turn it toyou: what did you think about Fluidity: Spin Cycle? Share it in thecomments and we might use it for a follow-up to this feature! Also,stay tuned for our next Review Revisit on Professor Laytonand the Miracle Mask! In the month of May, we'll also coverLittle Inferno and 999 is allgoes well.

THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
Re: Fluidity: Spin Cycle - Review Revisit
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 12:07:24 PM »

Sadly, I'm more in line with Guillaume's opinion than that of Mr Metts. Fluidity: Spin Cycle is a high quality game, and one that I would still recommend to most people... but there were just too many decisions that didn't work for me to give it the same glowing recommendation that the original Fluidity received.

Short, discrete levels allow the developers to play with a wide variety of themes and concepts, but made the overall style and design feel less cohesive to me. Losing the ability to explore and try different challenges or routes without going back to a menu screen is also disappointing. Finally, I dislike how the "incentive" for replaying levels comes down to making it nearly impossible to get all the stars in your first playthrough (but relatively easy on your second) and having puzzle pieces or other secrets locked behind artificial gateways that require power-ups you haven't received yet.

Controls are mostly a wash. Having the screens linked to your motion controls is inconvenient at times and the context sensitive touchscreen buttons aren't something I loved,  but switching the jump action to a button press (instead of a jerking motion) is a noticeable improvement.

In the end, Spin Cycle felt like a step back from the larger scope of the original game on WiiWare. Luckily that is more a compliment to the first game than a complaint about the second. Despite finding the game a personal disappointment due to high expectations, I played to completion and do feel that Spin Cycle is one of the most interesting games available through the 3DS eShop and well worth trying. Here's hoping that this great series continues with a Wii U release!
NNID: ejamer

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 01:14:50 PM »
I said it already and will keep repeating.

Don't control levels with 360-degree rotation by actually rotating your handheld. Keep it horizontal, like a plate with drop of water on it and then move this drop around by tilting a bit.

Even Iwata in Nintendo Direct was doing it wrong...

Original WiiWare game had way worse controls, and i'm not even talking about waggle to jump. Cloud controls were very imprecise and made the final levels extremely frustrating to beat.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 01:16:29 PM by azeke »
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPixâ„¢
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 03:23:44 PM »
I'm with Metts. This game is a gem.
Gouge away.