Poll

Which one of these Game Boy Advance games (all included in the 3DS Ambassador program) should RFN crew and listeners play and discuss together?

Wario Land 4
51 (40.8%)
Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones
52 (41.6%)
Kirby & The Amazing Mirror
22 (17.6%)

Total Members Voted: 125

Voting closed: January 12, 2012, 09:17:26 PM

Author Topic: RetroActive #21 Poll: GBA Ambassador Edition  (Read 31744 times)

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Re: RetroActive #21 Poll: GBA Ambassador Edition
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2012, 04:07:30 AM »
... I kind of hope Wario Land 4 doesn't win, though, only because it would make it less likely that Wario Land 2 or Wario Land 3 (better entries in the series) would be selected in the future.

Having recently played Wario Land 3, I strongly prefer the pacing and design changes they made in 4. But maybe it's better not to discuss until finding out which game wins the poll. Do you talk about your preference on one of the Radio Trivia or NWR podcasts?
I touch on what I don't like about Wario Land 4 in Episode 102, but I really haven't delved into why I think WL3 is great on Radio Trivia. WL3 was used in Episode 2, but the discussion isn't noteworthy. You might want to check out WL2 in Episode 21.
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2012, 10:59:36 AM »
... I kind of hope Wario Land 4 doesn't win, though, only because it would make it less likely that Wario Land 2 or Wario Land 3 (better entries in the series) would be selected in the future.

Having recently played Wario Land 3, I strongly prefer the pacing and design changes they made in 4. But maybe it's better not to discuss until finding out which game wins the poll. Do you talk about your preference on one of the Radio Trivia or NWR podcasts?
I touch on what I don't like about Wario Land 4 in Episode 102, but I really haven't delved into why I think WL3 is great on Radio Trivia. WL3 was used in Episode 2, but the discussion isn't noteworthy. You might want to check out WL2 in Episode 21.

Always nice to have a reason to go back and listen to old episodes. Will gladly check out the episodes you mentioned. Thanks!

PS - Kind of hope Wario Land 4 does win. Talk about just Wario Land 4 might be somewhat limited, but hearing a discussion about this game in context of the whole series could be really interesting.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Oreanta

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2012, 10:49:29 PM »
I voted Fire Emblem... I played the one on Wii and really got into it both through the gameplay and the story, but I didn't feel engaged by the story at all in this game. I want to see what the RFN crew thinks about it.
Check out "The Other Side of the Flagpole", featured on the site! --> http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/feature/28260

Offline hoho23

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2012, 11:29:37 AM »
Went with Wario Land 4. I'm always in the mood for some 2D platforming. WL4 is a very good game that strays from the classic Mario formula. You can also see that the WarioWare games originated from this.

Offline marty

• Score: -96
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2012, 12:34:30 PM »
Never played any of them.

I tell myself I like TBS games but I never end up finishing them.  I love the idea of main characters dying and still being able to progress (that's the hook of FE, right?).  I guess I'm just worried that the game will play out like Advanced Wars where missions become trial and error until you find the one and only way to win...

I like kirby fine, I just find I don't think the games are all that interesting or worth discussing.

Voted for Wario Land 4 since I think I'd like it best (of the 3) or hate it.

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2012, 02:28:32 PM »

I tell myself I like TBS games but I never end up finishing them.  I love the idea of main characters dying and still being able to progress (that's the hook of FE, right?).  I guess I'm just worried that the game will play out like Advanced Wars where missions become trial and error until you find the one and only way to win...

To answer your questions,

1) nearly any character can die (save for your main character, or the two main characters in this game) and the story will still progress, although for some of the more important characters "death" gets demoted into "too injured to fight, but still there for story segments."

2) The games are generally open-ended. The developers know there isn't any way to know what characters you'll have recruited or still alive, so there's never just one way to approach any given level. So there's not much trial and error. There is, however, a lot of times where bad luck will hamstring you, especially after you've played the stage for half an hour...

Offline marty

• Score: -96
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2012, 04:31:18 PM »

1) nearly any character can die (save for your main character, or the two main characters in this game) and the story will still progress, although for some of the more important characters "death" gets demoted into "too injured to fight, but still there for story segments."

2) The games are generally open-ended. The developers know there isn't any way to know what characters you'll have recruited or still alive, so there's never just one way to approach any given level. So there's not much trial and error. There is, however, a lot of times where bad luck will hamstring you, especially after you've played the stage for half an hour...
Thanks, that actually sounds pretty good.  I've often considered buying one of the FE games but figured that it was going to be like playing advanced wars which I thought were ok, but never really got into.

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2012, 04:43:51 PM »
I voted for Sacred Stones, as I've actually already started playing it. Can't wait to hear what you guys think... that is, IF it gets chosen!
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2012, 05:04:31 PM »
Sacred Stones looks to be a done deal at this point, so I wouldn't be imprudent to start now.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2012, 08:51:20 AM »
Sacred Stones looks to be a done deal at this point, so I wouldn't be imprudent to start now.

Is this based on insider knowledge or just from the comments here? I've seen a good number of Wario votes, so without counting anything it seems like this could still be up in the air...

Edit:
Having counted the "confirmed" votes from this thread, the tally look roughly like:
Fire Emblem -- 11
Wario Land -- 8 (my vote was here, although not specified in the thread)
Kirby -- 4

There are several people who don't specify a vote, the possibility of people voting without leaving a comment, and the potential that votes could change from what was originally listed. However, Fire Emblem probably will be the winner based on current trends.

Edit 2:
The comment below is worth more than mine.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 09:03:56 AM by ejamer »

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2012, 09:01:24 AM »
Speaking as someone with insider knowledge, I assure you that it is most certainly not a done deal at this point.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2012, 03:19:53 PM »
Speaking as someone with insider knowledge, I assure you that it is most certainly not a done deal at this point.
Insider Trading.  Where the police.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2012, 03:24:32 PM »
Insider Trading.  Where the police.

At the risk of this comment being marked as political...

It's ok, he's a congressman. 

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2012, 04:12:40 PM »
Also, don't put too much stock in people's posts in this thread. Over three times as many people have voted so far than are counted in ejamer's post. So don't let other people's votes sway yours.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2012, 04:40:32 PM »
Also, don't put too much stock in people's posts in this thread. Over three times as many people have voted so far than are counted in ejamer's post. So don't let other people's votes sway yours.

Good to hear there is a strong voting turnout. I'm eager to play all three games, hopefully others are too.

Offline bhurak

• Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2012, 06:35:19 PM »
Blast my inexpensive non-ambassador 3DS. Retro games on a handheld just feels right. Hopefully another retroactive will be on 3DS.

Offline evolution4life

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2012, 10:40:13 AM »
I have voted Fire Emblem as it is the series I know the least about, so naturally I would love to know more. Sucks that I cant play along with any of these as I only have a 3ds and did not purchase it during the time before the ambassador program.

Looking forward to to playing along with a non GBA retro active or hopefully nintendo will hurry up and put these games on the eshop I would buy a few of them in a heartbeat. I love retroactive and as a long time listener its a great feature which really adds to the depth of the RFN show helping it to satisfy all my modern and retro needs.

Offline Lithium

• disparaging user title
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2012, 10:54:13 AM »

I've only played Radiant Dawn, but if that game is any indication there's very little in the way of strategy in the game as most maps were very choke pointy so all you needed to do was control those areas. Then again I'm someone who very much prefers the strategy heavy advance wars to the more RPG-like fire emblem. So maybe I'm just more used to having a chess mindset while playing these kinds of games.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 10:55:49 AM by Lithium »

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 07, 2012, 05:10:53 PM »
I voted for Wario Land 4, though I have never played any of the three so I'll probably participate regardless of what is selected. I'm most interested in Wario Land 4 though, as I own every other Wario Land game except this one, for some reason. Maybe it's because I could never seem to find a copy in good condition for a decent price...

Offline NintendoFanboy

• Score: -15
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2012, 07:42:40 AM »
I voted for Fire Emblem. I think the game will allow for a More in depth discussion, then Kirby or Yosh or Wario, for that matter, There is a lot More to discuss then a Mario platformer.
I think its the Best choise for a Retro active, Bassed on Indepth discussion potential.

Offline dococtorok

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2012, 02:45:24 PM »
I'm definitely hoping for Kirby - out of my Ambassador games it's the one I'm most willing to jump in to.  I've never touched the Fire Emblems, and I'm not sure going to start now (with the second one, even if it is more playable than the first), and I've played enough Wario games to know that I'm not a huge fan.  But since I have them all for free, I'll play whichever gets picked!

I don't post much here but I'm always hoping that RetroActive coincides with something I plan to play in the future anyway.  Great idea for a category.

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2012, 10:14:34 PM »
I played all them quickly and Fire Emblem seems like a great game, just right now I don't want to get involved with it. Maybe in a slow period.
Kirby was really confusing and not very interesting gameplay wise.

I actually bought Wario Land 4 a few years ago used for a few dollars and couldn't get into it. I might try it again.

I think Fire Emblem would be a boring podcast, and not much to say about Kirby besides its confusing so I voted for Wario Land 4. I didn't give it a fair chance before and I might try again now.

However I think Wario Ware Micro Games should be on the list, that game holds up really well after all the sequels. So much fun to play around in.

Offline MegaLegends3

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2012, 01:40:26 AM »
Fire Emblem, all the way. I've heard a lot of bad things about Kirby and I am annoyed with it myself, and Wario Land 4 is just confusing to me. Plus, I LOOOOooooOOOooOooOOoVE strategy games.

Offline leahsdad

• This title stolen by Rhythm Thief
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2012, 05:36:29 AM »
Blast my inexpensive non-ambassador 3DS. Retro games on a handheld just feels right. Hopefully another retroactive will be on 3DS.

Next retroactive:  VC Gameboy games?  Oh, yes.
[Showing off game collection]

Oh yeah, I know I have 2 sealed copies of that game.   1 is for trading.  But people who collect Amiibos?  They really have a problem!

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2012, 11:38:53 AM »
I've got a feeling Micro Games isn't on the list because there saving for a different categoried Retroactive.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.