Author Topic: Zach's Gaming Stuff: K'nex Mario Kart  (Read 4312 times)

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
Zach's Gaming Stuff: K'nex Mario Kart
« on: August 08, 2011, 11:21:34 PM »

Mario on a motorcycle? Ridiculous!

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/blog/27384

I didn't realize that K'nex was in the Mario Kart business, but there this was one day at Target. Mario and Luigi were both available on little motorcycles, and they also had larger, more expensive Karts (Yoshi also got a Kart). There were also K'nex-based course building kits involving fireballs and Thwomps. You can even go online and print out tracks pieces. Well, I wasn't going to let this fad pass me by. I played with K'nex like crazy as a kid and I was curious to see how the brand had survived in a land ruled by LEGO and, sadly enough, Mega Bloks. I also got a nifty Mario motorcycle out of the deal. All for $8!

The back of the box is nicely illustrated, showing other things you can buy and where you can print out those track pieces. One wonders how sturdy a paper ramp is. Probably not very.

Ah, this set contains Mario in sort-of-but-not-really minifigure form, and a bunch of K'nex blocks. And apparently LEGO blocks.

"Damn those Blue Shells!"

Five minutes of construction later, and we have Mario sitting on a bitchin' red motorcycle made up of 10% K'nex spokes and bars, and 90% LEGO knockoff pieces! Whoo!

It's actually a pretty sweet deal, and I might spring for the Luigi bike just to have both brothers. Target is constantly having sales, so maybe I'll get Yoshi's Kart one of these days. Cool, huh?

This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Zach's Gaming Stuff: K'nex Mario Kart
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 11:33:37 PM »
I was expecting a Mario Kart and a crazy track to go with it.  Always liked the K'nex crazy tracks.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline DanielM

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 01:42:44 PM »
This would be cool to have. Nice addition to the rest of my Nintendo collectables.
Daniel Mousseau
Web Programmer

Offline Goldmund

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 04:17:32 PM »
Neat.

Offline TheFleece

• K.K. Slider Vinyl Collector
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
    • I Draw Machine Foods
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 09:49:25 AM »
Very cool. I recently went to the Nintendo World Store and tok pictures of all the huge sets. If I had the space I would get them all. Maybe the K'Nex deal can go further we can get more sets. How cool would a full Mushroom Kingdom or Hyrule set be?
Handhelds at Heart
---
It's like a finger pointing away to the moon....
You don't want no part of this ***!
Animal Crossing New Leaf Pics

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 10:16:47 AM »
Very cool. I recently went to the Nintendo World Store and tok pictures of all the huge sets. If I had the space I would get them all. Maybe the K'Nex deal can go further we can get more sets. How cool would a full Mushroom Kingdom or Hyrule set be?
Lord.. Knowing Kinect you have to dedicate half a room to one of those.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline johnn

• View Profile
    • Super Mario Toys
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2011, 05:22:23 AM »
Those are indeed very cool. The small track building sets retail for around $30 each. I believe the full room-filling K'NEX Mario Kart set might be a few hundred, great holiday gift when you've got that much to spend.

Update: I did a post on my blog on the K'NEX Mario Kart Building sets.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 04:37:18 AM by johnn »