Author Topic: Nintendo CEO Discusses Wii Successor, Plans for Video Downloading  (Read 8215 times)

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo CEO Discusses Wii Successor, Plans for Video Downloading
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2011, 05:23:08 AM »
How about the Super Wii? It is easy enough for casuals to understand and denotes a sense of power over the current Wii that ay very well attract hardcore fans to Nintendo's system once again. I imagine people called the Super Wii "SWiit" or "SWiity" when it comes out similar to how people cracked jokes about the Wii's name at first.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2011, 10:51:49 AM »
Only name that could make everyone happy is Nintendo Wooo!

:-O
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2011, 11:35:46 AM »
Nintendo would be smart to name their next console in likeness of the 3DS to make customers have an automatic link between the two.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2011, 12:20:00 PM »
I think the name should reflect the direction Nintendo wants to go with the console.  "Super Nintendo Entertainment System" was a good name because it clearly continued the legacy of the "Nintendo Entertainment System".  Same with all the Game Boys and the DS becoming the 3DS.  You associate the name with a certain style and identity.

The Wii was just too different from the Gamecube to use the same sort of naming convention.  Not just because the Cube wasn't very successful but because the Wii was a totally different type of videogame console.  If they want to continue with the same identity next gen then they should use the Wii naming convention.  But if they want to do something different they should go with something else.

The "Playstation" brand has a pretty clear identity.  It makes sense for them to go with the naming convention that they did.

However does the blue ocean group have any brand loyalty to "Nintendo" or merely to "Wii"?  If Nintendo doesn't continue with that naming convention can they continue to use the Wii Series or the Miis?

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2011, 03:55:16 PM »
accidental repost

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2011, 03:55:50 PM »
I think the name should reflect the direction Nintendo wants to go with the console.  "Super Nintendo Entertainment System" was a good name because it clearly continued the legacy of the "Nintendo Entertainment System".  Same with all the Game Boys and the DS becoming the 3DS.  You associate the name with a certain style and identity.

The Wii was just too different from the Gamecube to use the same sort of naming convention.  Not just because the Cube wasn't very successful but because the Wii was a totally different type of videogame console.  If they want to continue with the same identity next gen then they should use the Wii naming convention.  But if they want to do something different they should go with something else.

The "Playstation" brand has a pretty clear identity.  It makes sense for them to go with the naming convention that they did.

However does the blue ocean group have any brand loyalty to "Nintendo" or merely to "Wii"?  If Nintendo doesn't continue with that naming convention can they continue to use the Wii Series or the Miis?

I agree.  Expect the next generation console from Nintendo to have "Wii" be in part of the name.  It's simply about brand recognition, and Wii is a household term now.  Gamecube and Nintendo 64 didn't have the market presence that the Wii does, and like you state, you can keep concepts like Miis and the Wii Shop Channel without having to re-name them.  But I suppose it's a matter of whether or not the Marketing division of Nintendo makes that choice, as well as if Nintendo has a new play mechanic in mind for their future console that would benefit from a re-naming.

On a side note, I'm completely thrilled that Iwata openly admitted that they have not done enough to make Wiiware and online services flourish, citing Microsoft as an example of proper investment into online channels.  Maybe an indication of better online support from Nintendo products in the future?

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2011, 04:44:43 PM »
However does the blue ocean group have any brand loyalty to "Nintendo" or merely to "Wii"?

Does the blue ocean group have any loyalty to anything?
is your sanity...

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2011, 05:44:20 PM »
I don't know if I'd call it loyalty, but people who have had positive experiences with the Wii would be more likely to check out a new system with the name Wii in it before they'd consider other options.