Author Topic: Super Smash Bros DS, Can it be real??  (Read 21697 times)

Offline Pikkcuber

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:Super Smash Bros DS, Can it be real??
« Reply #50 on: September 08, 2004, 02:49:25 PM »
I thought of a good idea to do with the second screen.  You could be fighting and then a bunch of items come up on your second screen, you pick one and the item appears on the first screen.  And you can do this when you knock someone off, for a reward.
PikkCuber

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #51 on: September 09, 2004, 04:28:13 AM »
Hey that Item idea isn't such a bad idea.

You get a single item reward for kills and such.  It can quickly pop up on the map screen to select or something.  

I like it.  Specially if you make this special character specific items that may not be available to everyone in game.  This promotes aggressive fighting and rewards players for knockouts.

Offline MaleficentOgre

• View Profile
RE: Super Smash Bros DS, Can it be real??
« Reply #52 on: September 09, 2004, 11:11:08 AM »
NO, both screens should be used for gameplay, and without a stylus.  Using just one screen would just be too small for real smash brothers action.  Having two screens could be cool for gameplay.
P.S. They should let Tomonobu do it.  how badass would having Tomonobu Itagaki make a smash brothers game on any console.  Hell I'd take anything he does.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 10, 2004, 09:31:28 AM »
Last I heard Itagaki wasn't exactly a master of gameplay. DOA3 is generally considered inferior to both Soul Calibur 2 and Virtua Fighter 4E.

Besides, SSB constantly zooms in and out, how do you define "two screens"?

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #54 on: September 10, 2004, 09:48:08 AM »
KDR_11k:  You bring up some great points.

What do you need two screens of gameplay to do that you can't do one?  I know people really don't like the idea of the map because you are thinking I want something more original...something truely special...but what is something truely special you can do with that second screen?

A map Idea is really just one single element to "How the map can be used."  

Like my idea, the map would be default, but it would also allow you to get information on players (a bulletin could scroll across and you can read who is in first, and damage levels of players.)  

You could click on the map and get a view of the enviroment or watch others fight.  Very cool.  This would also allow for larger levels with more interesting fighting enviroments.  Levels won't have to be floating islands if you design the levels to have pitfalls, hidden switchs and other traps.  The ability to look at a map an know what the enviroment contains and where everyone is helps you plan your attack.

Map specific attacks.  These aren't just for aiming projectiles, but can be used to teleport, hide yourself from the map, disable others maps, auto teleport other players somewhere, I am sure you can think of alot more.

I would say don't look at the second screen as a map, but think of it as a user HUD that allows you to access several types of information not able to be done in a Smash Brothers Game.

Offline Zach

• Bad Title
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 10, 2004, 10:41:26 AM »
SSBDS has to use two screens for play.  One screen is so small  that if it shows the whole level, you would have trouble seeing what you are doing, but if it zoomed in on your character you would not be able to see where the other players are, and it would make you vunerable to a sneak attack.  The solution, one screen zoomed in on the player, the other screen showing the whole level, that is the only way I can think of to do it.  
WiiCode: 2469 4326 9885 9257

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 10, 2004, 09:14:31 PM »
The second screen could be used for stats only. Maybe a minimap, but not interactive (not every game needs to use the touchscreen!). With 16 players in a game you'd have a lot of numbers to display, one screen might have trouble with showing them all AND leaving enough room for the gameplay itself.

Offline MaleficentOgre

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 12, 2004, 05:25:58 PM »
Don't want to be burdened with stats during gameplay.  The only way I'll accept a map is if there's a way to watch games online without participating in it.  Or maybe gamers not playing can use a map to deposit items and what not about the stage.

Offline kurst_chao3030

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 12, 2004, 07:18:10 PM »
that watching people play online thing sounds fun, espescially if u could here them talking....CS anyone? I said this before but, i really think it would be cool if it used the 2 screens as one big level, in which, when you fell off the top screen, you'd end up landing on the bottom. i'm sure it would be a lot of fun!
Banned

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 12, 2004, 11:15:40 PM »
Ogre: What, you're not interested in your enemies' damage levels and scores?

Offline MaleficentOgre

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 13, 2004, 06:09:49 AM »
You can superimpose them like everyother game does. I like my eyes working the way they are, and trying to squint superhard to watch 16 people go balistic on on screen.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 13, 2004, 06:54:19 AM »
You don't want 16 sets of stats on a screen with that res showing the gameplay, do you?

Offline MaleficentOgre

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 13, 2004, 08:39:00 AM »
not all sixteen, maybe just yours and the three guys closest to you.  sixteen stats even by themselves is too much to take into account and actually play the game.  Especially if all the characters from the same game use the same icon, if your fighting two links a young link zelda and ganandorf it might be very confusing.

Offline kurst_chao3030

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 13, 2004, 12:32:48 PM »
DOESN"T ANYONE HAVE AN OPINION ON WHAT I SAID!!!! WHY DO U JUST IGNORE ME!!!!
Banned

Offline MaleficentOgre

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 13, 2004, 01:27:53 PM »
If the stage took up both screens then characters might fall through stages in some areas, and in other areas it would be seemless.

Offline Zach

• Bad Title
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 13, 2004, 05:04:01 PM »
Kurst _chao, sounds like an interesting level idea.

There you happy now???
WiiCode: 2469 4326 9885 9257

Offline kurst_chao3030

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 13, 2004, 06:49:47 PM »
W00T!!!!!!! THANKYOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Banned

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 13, 2004, 09:07:34 PM »
Playing near the screen break would probably be a strategy since it'll be harder to see wehat's going on there.

Offline MaleficentOgre

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 15, 2004, 01:29:45 PM »
I just hope that if this game comes around there will be more diverse characters.  No more clones.  And more overall characters, that'd be nice.