Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
$ega?!
« on: August 07, 2003, 08:05:19 PM »
Sega announces a profit for its first quarter of its fiscal year!

It seems Sega is slowly lifting itself out of the gutter.  Thursday Sega announced a profit of 1.89 billion yen, or 15.8 million dollars, and 42.4 billion yen ($353 million) in sales between April and June.  Although it is hard for analysts to make projections on the rest of Sega’s year, as this is Sega’s first quarterly earnings report publicly released, it is safe to say any profit is good for the company, whose reports have historically been in the red.

Sega attributes this pleasant surprise to key titles such as Sonic Adventure DX: Director's Cut, an updated GameCube port of the signature Dreamcast title, and the quirky Let's Make a J-League Soccer Club 3 for the PS2, both of which sold above Sega’s expectations.  Sega reports it is still on track to meet its goal of 7.5 billion yen ($1.6 billion) in profit by the end of March 2004.  

::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE:$ega?!
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2003, 09:02:09 PM »
I gotta thank those who came out for Sonic DX, even though it was a wishy-washy port. Its a shame Sonic can't stay exclusive to Nintendo, as he's been getting a lot of love over there, but you gotta bring home to the sushi hmmm? Here's to Sonic Heroes giving him the respect he deserves. And can they PLEASE start pushing their best stuff around (Panzer Dragoon, Jet Grind/Jet Set Radio and Shenmue) to a console that can bolster sales? I might have to pray for that one...

In another interesting trend, both Sega and Nintendo are starting to release Quarterly reports as opposed to yearly. Is it to calm investors and the public? To reassure itself?
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline Knoxxville

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2003, 10:22:37 PM »
I've said this forever...since the days of the Genesis.  Sega is a highly innovative company....arguably the most innovative next to/right beside Nintendo.  I mean, if Sega's 8-bit had the exclusive 3rd party agreements Nintendo had, Nintendo might be a software-only publisher right now!  Sega's innovation has always been a double edged sword.....on one hand, you have all of these great concepts, new play mechanics, and inspired content.  On the other hand, they were usually so far ahead of their time that by the time the average human being caught on, the fiscal reports were out.

I don't know how many times I've said, "Sega should just publish and that's it".  It's almost like I could see the future or something.  This way, they can experiment all they want, especially since CD/DVD media costs are negligible compared to carts.  It's a win/win situation for everyone, as evidenced by the plus column on their fiscal reports.

Welcome Back, Sega!

Offline Nik Jam

• View Profile
RE: $ega?!
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2003, 01:17:19 AM »
To comment on what TYP said. Sonic Adventure DX didn't really get good sales. At least not compared to SA2:B.
Nik Jam - I don't know. You tell me.

Offline Internet Nomad

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2003, 07:21:40 PM »
A quick look at Sega's TGS game list shows that the Xbox love is running dry. I think they're about done with that console, except for the sports games. I'm not sure what they have against releasing some of their more "serious" games for GC. Give me Billy Hatcher AND Panzer Dragoon, and I'm a happy man.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Sonic Heroes sell through 2 million copies on GC. It will no doubt be the hugest third party game on the console.

Offline DRJ

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2003, 07:32:32 PM »
I still want them to partner with Nintendo to make an exclusive Sonic game for the cube. Not a port, and not a multiplatform game.

Sega does make some really good games, its nice to see them making money so they will be able to continue releasing games.
Ralph: Hi, Principal Skinner! Hi, Super Nintendo Chalmers!

Offline Ness_the_Mess

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2003, 01:23:37 AM »
Blargh.  I like sega.

If I had 3 apples, I would give one to sega.  YAY SEGA.
EarfBOWND

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: $ega?!
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2003, 01:32:38 AM »
if I had three apples i would bake them a pie! if they agreed to make me a sequel to skies, or another cool RPG (set in the future perhaps?) or another game set around pirates, cause pirates are cool, YARRRRR