Author Topic: Treyarch Puts Specialized Team in Charge of Next Call of Duty  (Read 18053 times)

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
The team is working to include Wii specific control schemes, strong graphics, and a compelling online experience to create "the best shooter on Wii."
 http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/newsArt.cfm?artid=16223

In an interview with CVG, Treyarch, the developers of the upcoming Call of Duty: World at War, revealed a number of new details about the Wii version of the game. According to Treyarch, a special internal team of Wii experts have been assigned to the title and "live, eat and breathe Wii." Even at this point in development, Treyarch believes that Call of Duty: World at War "looks better than any Wii game on the market so far."    

The specialized Treyarch team is also "doing a lot of control work and developing a lot of special technology" to create a well designed set of Wii specific controls, which will include support for the Wii Zapper. And just as with the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 versions of the game, the Wii version will feature an extensive online multiplayer mode.    

Even though the Wii doesn't feature the same computing power as its competitors, Treyarch is pushing the system to its limits to match the other versions of the title. In some instances where the Wii version experience requires a different approach, Treyarch assures that they are looking for solutions without sacrificing the experience for players on the Wii.

Check out PixlBit!

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
Re: Treyarch Puts Specialized Team in Charge of Next Call of Duty
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 02:22:35 PM »
Good I'm happy they are trying to make something worthwhile.

The problem is I am SO OVER World War II games and even if they do make the best shooter on Wii it will be hard to overcome that aspect.

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 02:26:02 PM »
Good I'm happy they are trying to make something worthwhile.

The problem is I am SO OVER World War II games and even if they do make the best shooter on Wii it will be hard to overcome that aspect.

I completely agree. WWII games are such a turn off for me that it doesn't matter how good this is, I'll probably overlook it. They do deserve to be commended though for actually putting effort into a Wii game. Props to that.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 02:28:59 PM »
a special internal team of Wii experts have been assigned to the title and "live, eat and breathe Wii."

That's hot
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline AV

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 02:31:57 PM »
Right now it's a rental for me if I have extra time.

Other wars happened. Civil War might work really well under the right developer, (have to compensate for slow muskets and impatient gamers)

War of Texas Independence might be fun too.

Vietnam doesn't interest me nor does Gulf War

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 03:23:35 PM »
The Gulf War was actually pretty fun in Conflict Desert Storm... 4-player co-op totally made it worth it. Oh wait... that wasn't an FPS. More of a squad cooperative tactical third-person shooter.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2008, 03:35:58 PM »
At least its the Pacific side of WWII, which is something that hasn't gotten too much exposure in the FPS genre. Jungles and flamethrowers, oh my!

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2008, 03:40:25 PM »
a special internal team of Wii experts have been assigned to the title and "live, eat and breathe Wii."

That's hot

lol, I was telling Kairon before I posted the story that someone would instantly pick up on that quote. Though, I thought that it would've been Pro666 to pick up on it first.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2008, 05:27:54 PM »
I suppose he couldn't figure out a way to turn it into a Caps-locked indictment of Nintendo ruining gaming?
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2008, 07:31:38 PM »

Other wars happened. Civil War might work really well under the right developer, (have to compensate for slow muskets and impatient gamers)

There are morality problems with those wars though. Pretty much everyone can agree about the Nazis being dickheads. On the opposite side however, the American Civil War was always morally skewed from both sides anyway, with one wishing to legally secede and the other suppressing that for many reasons (some justifiably right if true). Vietnam was a poor attempt to cash in on the Communist boogeyman "threat" by killing lots of civilians. The Gulf War was ripe with the same backroom deals and scheming bureaucrats as any modern conflict. And only a bunch of redneck Texans would ever think of the Texas Revolution as patriotic. Stealing already stolen land through even more bloodshed doesn't exactly make for heroes.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2008, 08:03:10 PM »
Wow, that's not political at all...

How about a FPS where you play as an oppressed Vietnamese freedom fighter circa 1970? that would be politically correct, right?

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2008, 08:27:45 PM »

That's hot

lol, I was telling Kairon before I posted the story that someone would instantly pick up on that quote. Though, I thought that it would've been Pro666 to pick up on it first.

GoNintendo-class jokes are beneath me.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2008, 08:47:32 PM »
Wow, that's not political at all...

How about a FPS where you play as an oppressed Vietnamese freedom fighter circa 1970? that would be politically correct, right?

The problem is that FPS games limit us to war with guns. There's probably a slew of wars we could tap into if we didn't have to worry about that.

Offline Smoke39

• Smoking is only bad for you if you're not made of smoke already
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2008, 10:14:40 PM »
First person shooters don't have to be about historical wars.  They can be about made up wars.  Or they don't even have to be about wars.  Make a sci-fi shooter that doesn't involve a generic space marine, like Deus Ex.  Or do something weird like Turok.  The first Turok, that is.  Not the latest stupid generic space marine re-envisioning.
GOREGASM!

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2008, 10:36:16 PM »
We need a Bow-and-arrow FPS then. It'd be awesome. That opens up the medieval ages, or hunting cultures. Maybe even... a game about a feudal Samurai who specializes in the Bow?

Or do something weird like Turok.  The first Turok, that is.  Not the latest stupid generic space marine re-envisioning.

Turok. In spaaaaaaaaaace.... &P

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2008, 10:42:04 PM »
We need a Bow-and-arrow FPS then. It'd be awesome. That opens up the medieval ages, or hunting cultures. Maybe even... a game about a feudal Samurai who specializes in the Bow?

Or do something weird like Turok.  The first Turok, that is.  Not the latest stupid generic space marine re-envisioning.

Turok. In spaaaaaaaaaace.... &P

Yes it would be great to have some non-gun wars in games.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Bartman3010

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2008, 10:43:08 PM »
Oh good. Treyarch. I knew there was a reason this sequel was coming up so quickly. They're the same folks behind CoD2, which was another sequel that came up too soon. At least its not World War II themed this time, I think. But come on. This IS too soon after CoD4, which is supposed to be this grand daddy of shooters.

Then again, I heard the same thing about Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2 and I hardly hear anyone talk about that anymore...
- Bartman

Mario Kart DS - 111728-668174
Metroid Prime Hunters - 3866-1460-2555
Tetris DS - 105680-429364

(Send PM if interested, you probably arent)
Better yet, check out #mariokartds on Esper.net, featuring the FriendCodeBot!

Offline Smoke39

• Smoking is only bad for you if you're not made of smoke already
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2008, 11:25:07 PM »
I could go for that.
GOREGASM!

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2008, 01:14:02 AM »
I'm very happy that I've only ever played one WWII game and because of that I'm not tired of them, because this one is sounding good.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2008, 02:48:37 AM »
Back on GameCube, Ubisoft had a special team dedicated to produce all the Tom Clancy games.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2008, 03:01:40 AM »
Back on GameCube, Ubisoft had a special team dedicated to produce all the Tom Clancy games.

Oh dear god...

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2008, 03:40:12 AM »
It's a winning strategery, yes.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2008, 09:22:56 AM »
I'm very happy that I've only ever played one WWII game and because of that I'm not tired of them, because this one is sounding good.

I can top that. I've NEVER played any of these WW games. If this one turns out as polished as they say i might just pick this up to see what all the fuss is about with the genre
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline AV

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2008, 10:33:51 AM »

There are morality problems with those wars though. Pretty much everyone can agree about the Nazis being dickheads. On the opposite side however, the American Civil War was always morally skewed from both sides anyway, with one wishing to legally secede and the other suppressing that for many reasons (some justifiably right if true). Vietnam was a poor attempt to cash in on the Communist boogeyman "threat" by killing lots of civilians. The Gulf War was ripe with the same backroom deals and scheming bureaucrats as any modern conflict. And only a bunch of redneck Texans would ever think of the Texas Revolution as patriotic. Stealing already stolen land through even more bloodshed doesn't exactly make for heroes.

EXCUSE ME PRINCESS.

Just trying to come up with some new ideas. The problem with shooters is that current technology could really make you feel like your at war and is possible to make a game where you shoot peoples guts out and such. My friend said he wants to play that, I am the other way around I would so be turned off on FPS's if they went to that degree. 

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2008, 11:31:37 AM »
Soldier of Fortune was doing immense amounts of gore with the Quake 2 engine. The technology has always been there (and is actually pretty fun, regardless of how much SoF2 sucked), developers just don't want to alienate audiences. They apparently just don't have the vision that Steven Spielberg does. I mean, E.T. to Saving Private Ryan? :P

Maybe if war games were truly realistic, people would stop signing their lives away at recruitment offices. I'd be all for that. Wake up all the little kiddies that think war is just a game with free college packed in.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality