Author Topic: Gameboy Advance Attachment  (Read 35320 times)

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
Official Game Boy Player Discussion
« Reply #100 on: July 12, 2003, 02:32:12 PM »
errrm, didn't Nintendo say the GBP CANNOT substitute for a GCN-GBA link cable?  
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: Official Game Boy Player Discussion
« Reply #101 on: July 12, 2003, 02:48:03 PM »
Yeah, they did.  There's no reason for it though.  It works just fine.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline TAYREL713

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 15, 2003, 11:28:31 AM »
What do you mean it works fine Bloodworth? Do you know something we dont?  
"I put my foot so deep in your ass the water in my knee will quench your thirst." (Ras Kass 'Miami Life')

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 15, 2003, 08:09:54 PM »
I mean we've tried it and it works fine.  We're guessing the "warning" should be taken just as lightly as the warning not to use rechargeable batteries in a Game Boy or Wave Bird.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline penfold

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 16, 2003, 04:33:58 PM »
I went ahead and bought a Game Boy Player for my GameCube last night along with the Donkey Kong Country cart for the GBA (I have about 30 games for the GBA). I have to admit that I have always hated the lighting on the GB and had to get the GBP because I wanted to see the GB games clearly. Afterall, I didnt do very good on the Mario Kart game for the Cube thanks to the lighting. Guess what? First place on the 50 and the 100 races with Wario and Toad (my fave characters on all the Mario Kart games for the SNES, N64, and the GBA) on my first races with the GBP.

My only gripe with the GBP is the packaging. Why did Nintendo have to put the adapter in all that plastic? It would have been better, IMHO, to package it just like the GameCube. It took me 6 minutes to get the GBP out of the plastic with sharp scissors. Other than that, the GBP is truly a masterpiece. Okay, the games dont always show up clearly (afterall, the games are not designed for viewing on a television screen), but its better than looking at a certain way on a GBA trying to figure out whether or not Toad is actually in the lead, or in last place.

Congrats to Nintendo for creating another masterpiece and adding over a thousand games to the Cube library.

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: July 17, 2003, 03:35:51 AM »
Because Nintendo must like to waste resourses.  I wish they would just put everything in a damn box, all that plactic is just too much especially for a freakin' memory card.
Currently Reading:  Odd Apocalypse ~ Dean Koontz
Currently Watching:  ?

Offline Soundworks

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 18, 2003, 11:34:38 AM »
I love the GBP, a good piece of hardware.

I did a review on a small but cool Gamecube site. Please check it out and give me your thoughts on it.

http://www.gamecubeland.com/hosted/thamozz/

Offline ruby_onix

• Obsessive Sailormoon Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 18, 2003, 12:24:39 PM »
Asimov - "I was just thinking....now that the GBP is out couldn't developers add like more button functions or analog control or something?"

Cooolcorey - "Yep, it's possible. They can also do online GBA games or use the GBP as a substitue for a GCN-GBA link cable for linkage."

KnowsNothing - "errrm, didn't Nintendo say the GBP CANNOT substitute for a GCN-GBA link cable?"

Bloodworth - "Yeah, they did. There's no reason for it though. It works just fine."

TAYREL713 - "What do you mean it works fine Bloodworth? Do you know something we dont?"

Bloodworth - "I mean we've tried it and it works fine. We're guessing the "warning" should be taken just as lightly as the warning not to use rechargeable batteries in a Game Boy or Wave Bird."

I just noticed this and thought I should try and clarify it. I think Bloodworth mistook the question, or was answering something completely different.

The GBP currently can't substitute for a GCN-GBA link cable. You can't get GCN/GBA connectivity out of just a GameCube with the GBA Player. If you put Metroid Prime in your GCN, and Metroid Fusion in your GBA Player, the Fusion Suit in Prime won't unlock. Even if you do something weird like connect a GCN-GBA cable from one of the controller ports to the Player's game link port.

It's supposed to be completely possible that future games might include that feature, and others (by simply including the GBP's Boot Disk instructions inside a GameCube game). But it currently doesn't exist, so Nintendo says you can't do it.

What I think Bloodworth was commenting on was a line in the GBP instruction book that says you can't hook up two (or four) GBP-connected GameCubes to play multiplayer GBA games. It says you should only hook up one GameBoy Player, and then you can attach up to three regular GBA's.

That's not true though. If you have enough TV's and GameCubes, you can play all the big screen GBA multiplayer games that you want. I don't think anyone knows why Nintendo included that line.

Although I can understand Nintendo not endorsing rechargable batteries, because I've seen my GBA get picky, and refuse some of my cheaper third party GameBoy Color power packs (used through one of those third party GBA adaptors). Even though it's supposed to be all the same voltage, and they work on my GBC just fine.
Poor people should eat wheat!
I'm about to go punk up some 3rd parties so they don't release games on other hardware, ciao!
- Ken Kutaragi

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 20, 2003, 12:09:46 AM »
Thanks Ruby.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 20, 2003, 02:02:00 AM »
About the rechargeable batteries...
My dad found a silver recarchable battery kit from Pelican (2 rechargeable battery "packs" [2 AA's fused together] and a charger) for 3 dollars at some store and bought it...And it works perfectly on my Platinum GBA, and even matches the color...

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 20, 2003, 11:43:07 AM »
I had one of those, Gamefreak- it worked great for a long time, but eventually the problem that plagues all nickle cadium batteries (or whatever they're called) reared it's ugly head. After a while it would only last for a few minutes and just became impracticle. I use regular batteries for my GBA now.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Stimutacs Addict

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 20, 2003, 07:33:42 PM »
my batteries went dead.. and i am too lazy to go to the store.. so WarioWare has to wait.

good story, eh?
I'll shut up now...

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 20, 2003, 11:16:35 PM »
We've been telling people about this for years, but here we go again: http://www.thomas-distributing.com/ko-k2000-c+4.htm

The initial investment may seem a little steep, but I've been swapping out the same two sets of batteries since GBA was released in Japan.  It's certainly worth your money to buy enough of these batteries for every device you have.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline ruby_onix

• Obsessive Sailormoon Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 22, 2003, 02:47:04 PM »
Just curious, has anyone tried using the old PSX controllers on the GameBoy Player through the PlayCube adaptor?

Like, one of the ones before the N64 came out, back when they didn't come with analog or rumble?

Those ones are much closer to what the Hori Pad offers. It could just be that the GBP has problems with the rumble, or analog, or something like that.
Poor people should eat wheat!
I'm about to go punk up some 3rd parties so they don't release games on other hardware, ciao!
- Ken Kutaragi

Offline VoodooMerlin

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 22, 2003, 02:53:26 PM »
Finally got my hands on one of these little wonders for my Cube and it's worth every penny.

Look at all of the RPGs that the Cube has now!!! I gave up my beloved XboX (which strangely is lacking in the genre) and bought a second Cube with Player because of that fact. I notice no real degradation of the GBA games on a big screen at all. They give you enough options to make any game look great.

Hats off to the innovators at Nintendo.

Offline TAYREL713

• View Profile
RE:Official Game Boy Player Discussion
« Reply #115 on: July 28, 2003, 05:52:37 AM »
double post sorry
"I put my foot so deep in your ass the water in my knee will quench your thirst." (Ras Kass 'Miami Life')

Offline TAYREL713

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 28, 2003, 05:54:09 AM »
So I can finally purchase this little number Thursaday, and was wondering how Metroid Fusion looks and plays on the big screen.I found it used at a phenomenal price. It's the game they seem to advertise with player but I was wondering what experience has proven in this regard? Basically is it more suited for the handheld?

Offline VoodooMerlin

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 28, 2003, 05:18:31 PM »
It's better on the TV. Be sure to choose the right filter.

You can see what you're doing!!!

ALL of the games are better. If not for it's portability and use as a connective controller, you could now ditch your GBA for good. You won't WANT to play games on it any more. Trust me.

Offline Twisted Halo

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 29, 2003, 02:57:51 AM »

If you ask me, it's still now as good as the Super GameBoy for SNES. From what I hear, they didn't add the cool backgrounds to the GBP like they did on SGB! Of course, it's still worth the money, but they could've done that to make the GBP more interesting. I actually liked beating games and watching the credits while there were people on the screen sitting in a movie theater watching it, sleeping, or even playing gameboy. Ahhhh, memories!
Adapt or Die.

Offline Giolon

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 29, 2003, 11:01:22 PM »
I bought a Gameboy Player 2 weeks ago to get my through my shoulder surgery (I couldn't move the Gameboy around to get light, but I could hold a Gamecube controller) and I am extremely pleased with my purchase.  I've been playing mostly on the little 13" TV in my room (although it's quite a bit bigger than the GBA), but I have had some time on a nice 29" TV too.  Here's how the games I own faired on the GBP:

Metroid Fusion -- This game looks and plays great on the GBP.  It's almost like playing Super Metroid again.  The sound is spot on as well.

Mario Kart: Super Circuit -- Ugh!  This game looks BAD.  It's not such a biggie if you don't use full screen mode but those jagged edges on the rendered 3D models are horrible and you notice how low res the game really is.  The game controls, plays, and sounds just fine though.

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past -- The game looks and plays fine, but I'm sorry guys, I can't play this one on the TV.  Why?  Because the sound is all wrong!  After years of playing LttP on the SNES, I know what the game should sound like and everything is too hollow, high pitched, and tinny compared to the sound from the original version.

Super Mario Advance 2: Super Mario World -- Exactly the same comments as Zelda.

Megaman Zero -- Gorgeous.  Sounds and plays well too

Golden Sun & Golden Sun: The Lost Age -- OH    MY    GOD!  These games were made for the big screen!  They look and sound absolutely fantastic!  My little stereo system nicely pulls the bass right out of the midi line and pumps it into my room, nice and full.  The top notch music is great to hear with a niced balanced orchestration.   And FINALLY!!!! I can see the excellent artwork that makes up the summons in this game without having to squint and get closer to my GBA.  The artwork in the game really shines on a television screen and the sound is there to back it up.  The only place that is not quite so nice is the overworld, but it never looked that great on the GBA in all it's Mode 7 scrolling glory.

¤~Giolon~¤

Offline mojorizin

• View Profile
« Reply #120 on: July 31, 2003, 04:55:34 PM »
Regarding the Filter:

I fiddled with the settings in Fusion, but didn't see much difference.  Is there a general rule regarding which filter fits certain games, does it default, or does anyone have suggestion for best setting for Fusion or the Castlevania series?

Offline Giolon

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 03, 2003, 12:51:44 PM »
Mojo, according to the little manual book thingy that came with the player, the different filter settings are just to stop "flickering" and other graphical oddities that may appear in some games.  For example, if you use the "Sharp" filter on Golden Sun: The Lost Age, the overworld map will sort of flicker or shimmer while you're walking around on it outside.  Switching to the "Soft" or "Normal" filter alleviates this problem.
¤~Giolon~¤

Offline mojorizin

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 04, 2003, 05:19:14 PM »
Thanks for clearing that up.  Honestly I never thought to use the MANUAL!  After playing these things for a few decades I don't think I've read a manual for a console or peripheral since.....hell, I can't remember ever reading a manual for any of them.  Probably why after buying a nailgun I put the first one through the living room window.   Read the manual, kids.  A little tip from your Uncle Mojo.

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 05, 2003, 04:17:06 AM »
hahaha geez, that reminds me of one of the few 'home improvement' episodes where they had the 21 nailgun salute

regarding the filters, i dont really notice a difference in any of the 3, but that was on my horible old as i am tv that was worse quality than my GBA screen now i have my NEW tv i should probably try them out.

Offline VideoGamerJ

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 05, 2003, 10:51:47 PM »
I'm pissed, my last GCN broke and I bought a new GCN just days before this deal (or actually, my friend did) and the next few days later, he saw the bundle.