Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 692244 times)

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #450 on: July 22, 2014, 12:55:13 AM »
Devil May Cry (Xbox360, HD Collection):
Disaster.

As a part of test run for the final mission i beat it and without giving it a thought saved OVER my main save. The game started over on hard difficulty and upgraded Dante and now my save that starts from final mission is gone.

And i worked so hard for it, doing one life run (no yellow orb continues)! And it saved that i used one continue, so i didn't get achievement for doing it in one life.

Thankfully, not all is lost, i found my save from Saturday which is four levels and two bosses before the final level. Better than nothing. I guess i will continue from that.

I tried out hard difficulty, it's rather easy now that i have Dante upgraded with most of the moves. Got S rank on mission 1, just for kicks.

Then started the game on normal and got S rank with "new Dante" (blank slate, no moves except for the most basic ones).

I can see myself doing this, S ranking entire game. I definitely enjoy this game way more than Viewtiful Joe, maybe it's 2d/3d thing. Even with horrible fixed camera angles and a rather limited moveset i just like playing DMC1 more.

Actual ending is surprisingly melodramatic. Dante who before that was a rather generic character with some rare flashes of amusing cockiness, suddenly became all feely-touchy. Whatever. Game is still cool.

Devil May Cry 2 (Xbox360, HD Collection):
Oh wow.

Game still has some of the combat complexity of the first game, but you don't have the chance to use it properly because enemies fall apart if you as much as fart in their general direction. There is no reason to use anything. Just walk around and press sword button from time to time.

RPG levels on swords and guns are baffling. Why would i upgrade them if i already one hitting all enemies in this game? And in general i find that RPG progression where you just boost your stats has no place in action games. It's much more rewarding to get new moves and weapons to diversify combat rather than just get stupid +20% to your attack.

Prince of Persia-style parkour is weird. It's cool that i can run up the wall and jump from it and shoot monsters below me when i am in the air, but what's the point?

I am starting to get why this game is so loathed.

Sengoku Basara 3 (Wii):
Played a bit. Combat system is solid but it feels like it's completely wasted during the main combat where you just mash buttons killing thousands of helpless soldiers.

You have guard, evasive rolls, air recovery, light and heavy attacks but you don't NEED any of that to slaughter armies of nameless minions.

Boss fights at the end of the missions are cool though and definitely feel very well designed.

I definitely like outrageous characters more than sour, serious dudes. The contrast is very striking compared to rather restrained Dante of DMC1 (i know he got way more cuhrrazee in DMC3 and i love it). Maedas are hilarious.

Cutscenes and graphics are very impressive for a Wii game. Game plays great and smooth. Even local splitscreen looks decent enough.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: July 22, 2014, 08:59:52 AM »
Shadow of the Colossus (PS3 Remaster)

I don't know if I'm going to finish this game. It's just 16 boss battles in a row (after a long and pointless run on your horse with no enemies anywhere), and every boss is basically the same thing. This game gets way too high of reviews as far as I can tell.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: July 22, 2014, 11:34:23 AM »
But what about the feeeeels the game gives you on your ride to your boss battle? ;)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: July 22, 2014, 11:50:41 AM »
Okay, so Shovel Knight is very good. I seem to like these modern retro-styled games more than the old games they're "inspired" by.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: July 22, 2014, 01:15:00 PM »
It's like modern silent movies. Mel Brooks did a silent movie comedy in 1976 called Silent Movie and then there was The Artist in 2012 as another example. In both cases, those movies are much better than the actual silent movies made in the early 20th century. And that's because there has been so much learnt in film technique, acting, direction, cinematography, effects, you name it. So, when these modern design techniques are applied to a silent movie, the result is that they are more engaging than the earlier films they are doing an homage to.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: July 22, 2014, 01:43:47 PM »
That makes sense.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #456 on: July 23, 2014, 12:25:49 AM »
It's like modern silent movies. Mel Brooks did a silent movie comedy in 1976 called Silent Movie and then there was The Artist in 2012 as another example. In both cases, those movies are much better than the actual silent movies made in the early 20th century. And that's because there has been so much learnt in film technique, acting, direction, cinematography, effects, you name it. So, when these modern design techniques are applied to a silent movie, the result is that they are more engaging than the earlier films they are doing an homage to.

Fantastic answer.

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #457 on: July 25, 2014, 02:20:19 AM »
DMC HD Collection (Xbox 360):

DMC1:
I didn't take shotgun on my first normal run, so it made some enemies and bosses a bit harder than it should. It can be replaced somewhat by grenade gun but there are some tricks you can only do with shotgun.

I finished final boss on one life and still didn't get achievement for completing the game with no continues. I am guessing i accidentally used one continue somewhere and saved it.

Ah well. I guess i will do "one continue" run on hard now. Also trying to get S ranks, collect blue orbs and do secret missions. S ranked first two missions so far, not sure if i will commit to S ranking the whole thing because i know next missions will be much harder even though i am sufficiently upgraded now.

Stupid thing is i forgot to take shotgun again.

DMC2:
Did second mission. Game is still rather boring.

Fighting the temptation to unlock hard mode with cheats and play on that, because otherwise enemies just stand there looking at me without even trying to attack.

DMC3:
Played first few missions again to dissolve aftertaste of 2. This time even got to first boss. Still fantastic.

These first missions are very relaxed even if there are more enemies and they're more eager to swarm you, they don't actually do much. I barely have to roll. So far it's big contrast from DMC1 and Ninja Gaiden Black where enemy pressure is much more harsh and you generally have way less freedom to do combo styling.

Fantasy Zone II (MAME):
This is tough. And weird. Addictive though. I can only get to second zone and then i die because new enemies have weird patterns and stuff.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: July 25, 2014, 07:38:19 PM »
New Super Mario Bros U I got the game free for buying MK8. I seems a little ho-hum so far. I don't like the jumping physics, bring back the crispness of SMB1 jumping.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: July 28, 2014, 09:11:57 AM »
... I don't like the jumping physics, bring back the crispness of SMB1 jumping.

I said something similar recently and was nearly crucified for it. The NSMB jumping physics don't feel good to me at all - they feel mushy and a bit floaty - but apparently many people love them.  Guess it depends on what you are used to.
NNID: ejamer

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #460 on: July 31, 2014, 04:04:16 AM »
Ninja Gaiden 3 (360 demo):
What a mess of a game... After a few minutes it quickly devolved into me just pressing random buttons, and not even touching left stick.

And that battle in the fog... What was that about?

Dragon's Dogma (360 demo):
Messy, but charming. Climbing on top of bosses is pretty fun but again messy and i don't understand how coop with pawns works. Combat system is kinda interesting.

Ghost and Goblins (MAME):
Playing a bit again. Can consistently get to 4th level on one life and then i start to fall apart, usually lose one life on 4 and then lose the rest on 5. I still can't break through that chokepoint where i have to climb the ladder with ogre walking around right near it.

DMC HD Collection (Xbox 360):

DMC1:
S ranked up to mission 10 (hard). Tenth was pretty hard to S rank, because of short time restriction you don't have enough time to get enough red orbs, so your only chance is to get through mission unharmed and get bonus from that. That is problematic because there are two Shadows -- one of the hardest enemies in entire game.

DMC2:
Killed monkey boss just by shooting it to death. Hydra boss in the next mission was harder to deal with, you first have to deal with it's tentacles and then come up close to it's head, it was kinda sorta neat actually. Demonic tanks (sic) in the next level were pretty easy, but demonic helicopter killed me and then i fell asleep because it was 2AM.

Super Mario Deluxe (3DS):
Ridiculously small screen is a big problem, so you have to be very cautious or just memorize all the levels.

Got to 5-1 on one life, i guess i am now trying to to beat it on one continue then. I might even try to do the same with Lost Levels when i will unlock it (yeah no, fat chance of that without grinding 1ups).

Extra modes in this game are as much if not more fun than actual game:
  • collectathon levels where they hide special coins and yoshi egg all over standard SMB levels and you need to find them AND hit the score.
  • boo races with all new levels

Very fun.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: July 31, 2014, 01:44:34 PM »
Final Fantasy VII (PSOne Classic)

Wow. This game is supposed to be a classic... but I'm totally not feeling it.  I'm about 2 hours in for the third time. Both previous attempts to play through were abandoned because the script/translation is terrible, and neither the plot nor characters are the least bit compelling early on. Instead, everything (plot and character development) feels forced and completely linear.

I keep coming back to FF7 because of how often people rave about it, but every time my conclusion is the same: people raving must be viewing the game through rose-colored glasses or just have very different taste in games than I do.

Can anyone give some encouragement?  Will this game improve dramatically if I keep playing, or should I cut my losses and move on?

(For reference, I do enjoy classic JRPGs. I have played through and enjoyed all prior Final Fantasy games, the majority of the Dragon Quest series, and many others like Breath of Fire and Suikoden. It's not an issue with genre - just with this particular game.)
NNID: ejamer

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #462 on: July 31, 2014, 01:48:33 PM »
VII is one of the most overrated games of all time. Second and third only to Ocarina of Time and Goldeneye 007.

If you aren't enjoying the beginning of VII, it's all downhill from there. The game only gets worse and worse.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: July 31, 2014, 02:02:15 PM »
VII is one of the most overrated games of all time. Second and third only to Ocarina of Time and Goldeneye 007.

This is the part where I make a crack about your age and then you get all angry and defensive.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: July 31, 2014, 03:25:59 PM »

BigLebowskiYeahWellThat'sJustLikeYourOpinionMan.jpeg
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #465 on: July 31, 2014, 05:54:53 PM »
You had to play Final Fantasy VII back in that generation to appreciate it. I didn't play it until 2000 which was pushing it. I played Final Fantasy IX first which made a few important changes (like not forcing you to watch summons every time). And I didn't care until the end of disc one when Sephiroth kills Aeris. If I was trying to play it today, I'd never get anywhere.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #466 on: July 31, 2014, 08:29:11 PM »

This is the part where I make a crack about your age and then you get all angry and defensive.

*gasp* I am not THAT predictable...

;D

Offline Triforce Hermit

• This title doesn't make sense.
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: July 31, 2014, 10:15:18 PM »
You had to play Final Fantasy VII back in that generation to appreciate it. I didn't play it until 2000 which was pushing it. I played Final Fantasy IX first which made a few important changes (like not forcing you to watch summons every time). And I didn't care until the end of disc one when Sephiroth kills Aeris. If I was trying to play it today, I'd never get anywhere.
Disagree. I played it around 2011 when I finally found a copy cheap enough. It is a magnificent game. Better then most of the other titles. But I'll agree that disc 1 is boring. I hate the entire beginning of the game, particularly everything about Aerith and Midgar.
Sometimes, you just want to play a video game.
NNiD: Triforcehermit09

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: July 31, 2014, 11:01:08 PM »
Watching my son play Sin & Punishment 2 is like baking a pie with fruit from a tree you planted.

Currently playing Sin and Punishment 2 and remembering why Treasure was/are the best at what they do.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: August 02, 2014, 08:16:28 AM »
Mario Kart 8.

**** my face, this **** is insane. The courses just want to **** with you on every level. Anybody who says this is stagnant need some brains beaten into them. I can't believe that after so many years, over so many games they can still surprise. The speed and tension is in your face. I find myself constantly over gripping like I am trying to break the laws of physics.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: August 03, 2014, 04:17:19 PM »
I said something similar recently and was nearly crucified for it. The NSMB jumping physics don't feel good to me at all - they feel mushy and a bit floaty - but apparently many people love them.  Guess it depends on what you are used to.
Much as I like the NSMB games (for the levels and multiplayer), I agree that they don't control too well. I miss the sharp control of Super Mario World, and I have no idea why that didn't become the standard of control for not just Mario, but all platformers to follow.

Can anyone give some encouragement?  Will this game improve dramatically if I keep playing, or should I cut my losses and move on?
Myself, I felt the first 8 or so hours were the best part of the game. After you leave Midgar is when I felt things started going downhill. On the opposite end, some people feel the game gets better as you go, so who knows, maybe you'd be one of them.

There's also that you may want to beat the game just so you can say you beat it, and then be able to talk about one of the most influential games of all time. If you're into something like that.

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #471 on: August 04, 2014, 12:27:33 AM »
Ninja Gaiden Black (Xbox):
I come back to it after not playing for a few month and it still feels great.

Technically you can get through most of the encounters just by holding block and spamming izuna drops and flying swallow but it's so much more satisfying to pull off counters and just being more offensive even if the game severely punishes you for it.

Beat eel min-boss and then did it again only with two eels -- have to keep track on both eels at all times, but they're not too bad, apart from forcing to multitask they have an easy pattern. Then beat claw monster.

And now underwater sequences. Ugh. Of all things to copy from DMC1 they could have at least cut THAT, but no-o-o-o...

New Super Mario Bros U I got the game free for buying MK8. I seems a little ho-hum so far. I don't like the jumping physics, bring back the crispness of SMB1 jumping.
I find the NSMB series the closest to SMB1. I find myself overshooting and having to adjust my position constantly in all other 2d Mario games. In SMB1 and NSMB i jump and land exactly where i wanted to.

Devil May Cry 2 (Xbox 360):
Lucia controls faster than Dante but the combat is still clunky. Mainly because dodge button is B instead of a trigger and on top of that you can't even dodge out of the middle of combo, so it's doubly worthless.

I literally fell asleep during Lucia's mission 5. Seeing Armor of God 2 reference with aerodynamics test plane was cool though.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: August 04, 2014, 12:41:56 AM »
Playing a bit of Wind Waker HD which I finally picked up and honestly, eh, it may be the weakest of the 3d Zelda's I've played (excluding Skyward Turd.)

So far I only have Majora's Mask left to play but I'm not paying for the VC release if there is still talk of a remake.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 01:08:45 AM by pokepal148 »

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: August 05, 2014, 05:08:37 AM »
With all the excitement about the announement of Renegade Kid's new project, I thought I'd go back and play the last thing of theirs I bought and then proceeded to never play: Moon Chronicles. It's certainly a neat little game: an old-school corridor shooter, but that's something I've been kind of in the mood for. My issue is I'm having trouble getting a good feel for the controls, even with the behemoth of the Circle Pad Pro XL strapped on. Not sure if that's the game, the hardware, or me.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Eiksirf

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: August 08, 2014, 01:36:45 PM »
Super Mario Deluxe (3DS):
Ridiculously small screen is a big problem, so you have to be very cautious or just memorize all the levels.

Got to 5-1 on one life, i guess i am now trying to to beat it on one continue then. I might even try to do the same with Lost Levels when i will unlock it (yeah no, fat chance of that without grinding 1ups).

Extra modes in this game are as much if not more fun than actual game:

• collectathon levels where they hide special coins and yoshi egg all over standard SMB levels and you need to find them AND hit the score.
  • boo races with all new levels[/l][/l][/l][/l]
I missed this one, this game sounds awesome. 3DS eShop, I assume?

Etrian Oddysey Untold: The Millennium Girl

I'm playing through the story mode of Etrian Odyssey for the first time. A unique hook is that you use the touch screen to map out the labyrinth levels where the game's RPG combat takes place. There are lots of little quests to take for extra XP, but the combat tends to fall somewhere between grinding and tedious. I'm not sure how far into the game I am, but I've already sunk hours going back and forth between the first 8 similar levels and the village. The anime is cool and there's more voice acting than I expected.
[/list]
« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 10:52:16 AM by Eiksirf »