Author Topic: i took the plunge X...  (Read 8216 times)

Offline StRaNgE

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
i took the plunge X...
« on: June 04, 2003, 11:32:45 PM »
i went out and picked up a used Xbox today.
you'd think the price would be lower then it is seeing that a new one is lower now.

anyway i got it and 3 games, silent hill 2, odd world, and marrowind.

those 3 games seem pretty decent so far, i got a feeling i will enjoy silent hill quite a bit.

i then went next door and borrowed, Halo, Max Payne, and Metal gear 2.

i am very impressed with the AI in Halo, Metal Gear has some looooooong damn movies before you can even attempt gameplay, and  max seems like it will be a fun shoot em up bullet time game.

i am considering fatel frame, splinter cell, the hulk, and a few others.

anyone have any suggestions of things i should look into, hoping to bring the library of games up to 10-20 in the next  couple weeks if i can.

thanx

oh and  i was shocked at how damn heavy the system really is, i always just thought those were just jokes but  it turns out it is a pretty heavy console compared to what i have owned till now.

Offline Uncle Rich AiAi

• Abandoner
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
i took the plunge X...
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2003, 11:38:44 PM »
Jet Set Radio Future, Panzer Dragoon Orta and Shenmue II

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
i took the plunge X...
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2003, 11:39:15 PM »
I suggest using it as an anchor for your yacht.

As for games, you've already played the best available.  Now go back and play some GC.  

QUIET YOU!
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline StrikerObi

• BanEditLockDelete Podcast Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
    • Pixel du Jour
i took the plunge X...
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2003, 01:50:45 PM »
Max Payne is among some of my favorite games. It's totally awesome, I can't wait for the sequel. I hope they add some hand-to-hand combat in, but I'll be just as happy if I can blast away with my dual Ingrams.

If you've got broadband, get Xbox Live. It's some of the best online gaming you can partake in. Mech Assault is great over Xbox Live, and Midtown Madness 3 (out in 2 weeks about) looks awesome as well.

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
i took the plunge X...
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2003, 10:23:13 PM »
Max Payne was too cliched for me.  But if you really like the game, get the PC version.  Better controls, and it has some VERY cool mods.

Silent Hill 2 is awesome though.  I have the PC version, and I really have no complaints about the game, other than it's more storybook than game, as the game is pathetically easy, and gets very repetitive.  It's the story that really makes the game great though.  I can't wait for Silent Hill 3.

Although I would really have to say that you made a poor choice in your second console.  The PS2 runs circles around the Xbox IMO.  (Hell, the Dreamcast runs circles around Xbox)
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline StRaNgE

• View Profile
i took the plunge X...
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2003, 07:50:32 AM »
a poor choice huh>? matter of opinion.

PS2 had less then 30 games i wanted to own and Xbox had over 65 games out or soon out that i wanted. the cube has over 100 out or soon out.

getting the box  and 10-20 games for 200 dollars makes the x-box the perfect second system as far as i am concerned. i love being a tattooist, i get all the hook ups that way. oh and i normally  do not like playing games on my PC, i hate keyboards.

finished halo last night,  there are certain things about it that i feel live up to the hype  and other aspects of it  that let me down a bit.  the repetitive rooms in  new areas  is sorta a let down, wish  that they would not have just recycled rooms. some of the enviromets ware great though.

started silent hill and the controls are just like resident evil which surprised me because i always hear everyone bitch about resident evils controls but never hear them bitch about silent hill.  so far it seems pretty good, i hope the fog lifts to some degree though in the game.  the story seems a little slower the RE as well so far.

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
RE: i took the plunge X...
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2003, 07:33:36 PM »
I have had it since its release and unfotunelty if you are not in an area that can get the correct broadband the Xbox have few pickings that are good stand alones. (I have a few games, looking forward to Fable, and Sudeki)
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline AERO

• View Profile
i took the plunge X...
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2003, 07:45:47 PM »
Pick up Conflict Desert Storm. The squad shooting gameplay has kept me playing and I got in in november and its the only shooter I've seen to support custom soundtracks. A very nice feature that just isn't the same expirience as trying to play a cd player in the background.

Definatly go for Splinter Cell next. If you pick up the next months issue of OXM, you can get the kola cell, the next level on the demo disc. That is if you don't plan on getting xbox live, were you can download it there. Check out Morrowind as well. Or wait until october, and you can pick up the orginial game, and the two expansion packs all in one for $30. What genres do you enjoy, maybe I can help you more?

Tons more games out there anyway. Just gotta look people who's only knowledge of the xbox is that its made by microsoft and that "halo's the only good game".

Offline StRaNgE

• View Profile
i took the plunge X...
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2003, 09:10:53 AM »
i did pick up marrowind but have not had time to get into it yet, was looking at Enclave as well, is that any good?

a buddy of mine rented midnight madness 2 or something like that last night, i think it is multiplatform but it was a ton of fun.

Offline Big_Pimp

• View Profile
i took the plunge X...
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2003, 10:19:42 AM »
I'm thinking of taking the "plunge" too, damn that Halo 2 looks tempting.

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
i took the plunge X...
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2003, 04:14:26 PM »
well, you have a PC, don't you?
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline Big_Pimp

• View Profile
i took the plunge X...
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2003, 06:15:54 PM »
Well, do you think that Halo for PC will be a good game and not some halfassed port?  Will they charge to play online?

Offline AERO

• View Profile
i took the plunge X...
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2003, 07:06:21 PM »
Its will probably on par with the xbox version. However I would take that comment with a grain of salt as it was brought up becuase of the dislike of the xbox. Halo 2 will be just a grasp away by the time the pc version is out. Late summer unless something has changed.

Anyway, I don't know about Enclave havent played it.

Ghost Recon is supposed to be alot of fun over Live. I've heard alot of good things about Project Gotham Racing, Moto GP, if you like racers, that is I'll name a few more.

Offline StRaNgE

• View Profile
i took the plunge X...
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2003, 09:20:19 PM »
i just don;t understand why or how  some gamers can be so blind as to hate a system so badly.
the only thing i have seen that  does not compare about the system itself is slower load times and  odd menu set ups.
the games i have played so far seem to play well and it's up to the developer not the system  to  get rid of the glitches.

anyway,  how is baulder's gate?

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
i took the plunge X...
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2003, 09:26:51 PM »

Originally posted by: Big_Pimp
Well, do you think that Halo for PC will be a good game and not some halfassed port?  Will they charge to play online?

Word has it that it's better than the Xbox version in every way.  As for Pay to Play, come on.  This is a PC game.  Unless it's a MMORPG, PC gamers are not accustomed to paying to play online.

Some things I have heard about the PC version.

-Better framerate in most cases.
-Better graphics.
-Better net play.
-Better controls.  (seriously, who wants to play an FPS with a controller when a mouse and keyboard is available?)

Strange, I don't like the Xbox because it shares a lot of things in common with Windows.  Nothing about it is exceptionally bad, but nothing about it is exceptionally good either.  It's simply mediocre, but MS sells it as being high end.  I remember a quote I read in someone's sig once.  I can't remember how it went, but it went something like this:

"It's not Microsoft's monopoly I have a problem with.  It's the mediocrity of their products"
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2003, 10:54:52 PM »
Microsoft has a free online-gaming service for PC.

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
i took the plunge X...
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2003, 02:26:04 AM »
Once again Grey Ninja makes the most sense.  I wasn't bashing the XBOX, though i was having a little fun with it.  I don't agree that its a worthwhile buy at the moment, simply because its best games are available elsewhere.  Why buy Morrowind for the X if you could have it on your PC?  I have it , and its pretty good.  As for Halo 2, damn you people live in the future more than any other group of gamers...we realize its good, but geezOs, at least wait until it comes out to award it the game of the year..

I also must say i agree with the Ninja in terms of M$ products...they get you by, but barely

by the way, take this with a grain of salt, as AERO put it..Enclave isnt too good.  But i guess i'm being unfair, right?  I should overlook any mediocre titles on the XBOX so i won't be labled a hater........BLAH!!!

Offline thecubedcanuck

• View Profile
i took the plunge X...
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2003, 05:03:04 AM »

simply because its best games are available elsewhere. Why buy Morrowind for the X if you could have it on your PC? I have it , and its pretty good.

BECAUSE I HATE PLAYING GAMES ON A PC!!!
Why doesnt this sink in for some of you. A lot of people dont like playing games on a PC.
I sit infront of an 8 monitor set-up from 7 am till 7 pm most nights looking at numbers and so on.

I like to play games on my TV while sitting in my couch.

This utter hatred so many have for the X-box is laughable, to say it is a crappy system just stinks of fanboyism.
I have all 3 systems and the X-box has become my favorite, hands down. I think it has better games, in better I mean, games I personally prefer, since this is all that matters to me. My PS2 is a dust collector, other than the odd run through Vice city I dont touch it anymore. As for the cube I play ED a lot. My X-box on the other hand is always on the go.

So please understand that the PC is not for everyone, and the chance to play PC style games on my TV is a very welcome occurance.
Having sex when your 90 is like shooting pool with a piece of rope

Offline AERO

• View Profile
i took the plunge X...
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2003, 05:20:28 AM »
Well then this isn't the right topic for you to go on a rant about microsoft products.

He already owns an xbox. You efforts to try and reverse that descision arn't worth it. Just call him mainstream like everyone else and you can be on your way. By the way, am I the one your talking to about Halo 2 being so awesome or something as I don't recall saying anything.

Anyway, I try to stay away from that side of things anyway strange. Sometimes I get a little jumpy when I see stuff about the console of my choice that are otter crap. But I try and steer away when its no where in site and I would only be making a cheap shot. I've never had a problem with load times personally. The only games that I've might for instance change the channel for about 30 seconds to keep me entertained are usually first party and exclusive games, since they tend to need more juice, for obvious reasons. Any ports usually load up in about 5 seconds or so. Yeah I think that game glitch and quality attitude is sort of odd. Other systems seem to not be judged for poor qaulity third party games. As it should be. Xbox seems to get alot of abuse about this stuff strangely. First party games are open are fair game for abuse, but when someone thinks halo is the only worth while game, I start to wonder if they have ever played xbox. Or if they have, they wanted it to be a bad expirience, so thats exactly what they got out of it.  

Offline StRaNgE

• View Profile
i took the plunge X...
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2003, 08:58:34 AM »
i gotta admit before i got this i was not  into the xbox, i did not hate iut i could care less.

after i searched through game list of each system and the x-box  came up with the second largest list  of games i wanted after the cube  and i came across  a deal to get it and a ton of games it was a sure thing. after playing it more i think it's games are  pretty good , as good as any other games on any other system just a litter higher graphics is all.

as far as playing on a PC ninja. i hate gam,es on a PC, i just bought alice for my mac about a month ago and  as much as i wanted to play that game i just can not bring myself to sit in a chair and have to use a damn keyboard and mouse. i just despise it for games. (notice i said mac and not windows)

seeing i have always disliked the happenings between apple and microsoft  from years ago it was  a strange  thing getting a microsoft product but will be more then worth the money especially with my hook up.

Offline AERO

• View Profile
i took the plunge X...
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2003, 09:36:27 AM »
Controllers all the way.

I don't play pc games often. Maybe just red alert. But I tried playing the demo of Battlefield 1942 and I couldn't stand having to constantly holding down the arrow key to go forward. It just got to uncomfortable. I don't think the keyboard is the prevailing good aspect of gaming on a pc. The mouse is the only worthwhile element.  

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
i took the plunge X...
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2003, 12:04:49 PM »

This utter hatred so many have for the X-box is laughable, to say it is a crappy system just stinks of fanboyism.
I have all 3 systems and the X-box has become my favorite, hands down.

I didnt say anything about it being a crappy system, merely giving my opinion as to why I wouldnt buy one right now.  I do enjoy playing some games on my PC, like Morrowind and other RPGS.  I have my controllers hooked up to my PC, that is not a problem.  The difference is in size of the display, which i'll agree isnt great, but you do sit closer to your PC, so its not horrendous.  To each his own, i suppose

Offline aoi tsuki

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2003, 05:46:49 PM »
[delete me]
"Snake felt a hunger for Meryl blossom within his loins."

Offline aoi tsuki

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2003, 05:57:25 PM »
If you like a good, old-school shoot 'em up, try GUNVALKYRIE. Mastering the unique control scheme is essential to getting far into the game, but once you do, it's an experience few new third person shooters can match. There's a lot more technique to it than meets the eye, and the gameplay is challenging, but very rewarding.

Rent Hulk first -- i played it EB for a half hour (maybe more), and it felt like rental. A good game that's not too deep but fun for a couple of days.

Preference in gaming systems is pretty much all opinion, although there's sometimes logical reasoning behind it. PS2 makes a better second system than Xbox for me. It's the lack of Japanese support that hurts the Xbox in my eyes. Outside of Sega games, there's not too much i want on the system. Most of the games i buy and play are Japanese-developed, and i my taste in games is more in line with the Japanese than other Americans. Just my personal preference.

Congrats on your purchase, and regardless of what people say, enjoy your Xbox.
"Snake felt a hunger for Meryl blossom within his loins."

Offline penfold

• View Profile
i took the plunge X...
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2003, 07:47:39 PM »
The only other important thing besides getting a XBOX system is warrenty protection. I do recommend anybody who is even planning on getting a XBOX to get this.