Author Topic: who likes hot sauce?  (Read 3882 times)

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
who likes hot sauce?
« on: January 03, 2020, 01:23:17 PM »
I'm on a big hot sauce kick. I don't drown my food in it or anything, and want good flavor over pure heat, but am having a lot of fun trying some different domestic brands.

Right now my favorite is a black cherry with reaper peppers sauce from a Canadian company (Pepper North) that is sweet and mixes deliciously with beef tacos/burgers/nachos/etc... They also make another sauce with blueberries and scorpion peppers that is nice and tastes good with ice cream (although you lose a lot of the heat that way).

If you like spicy foods/sauces, what brands do you currently enjoy and what recipes do you use it with?
NNID: ejamer

Online Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Re: who likes hot sauce?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2020, 03:48:21 PM »
Well, since I made this the topic of the day, I guess I should participate in it.

I like spicy foods but I'm rarely adding any sauce to stuff to make it hot. I'll get a pizza that already has a spicy sauce to it or a burger that the company\restaurant has put hot sauce on already. I do have a bottle of Tabasco sauce that I've used to dabble stuff on a bit like macaroni and cheese or fried chicken but I don't find it the same as when a hot sauce or spice is incorporated into the food and cooked with it. I mainly just use it (or cayenne pepper) if I'm making something and it calls for hot sauce. I've never really thought about looking into what varieties are out there or what they made add to something.

Now if you want to take about spicy foods that one can buy from fast food / restaurants then I've got more to chime in on.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2020, 08:03:10 PM »
I like hot sauce, hot sauce doesn't like me.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2020, 07:35:00 PM »
I adore hot sauces!

I used to make my own until things got busy with school. Now that things have settled down I want to get back into it more seriously.

I tend to have different sauces for different meals.

Sriracha = most asian cuisine
Thai chili sauce = Thai, other asian cuisine (dumplings come to mind)
Buffalo = fried chicken, breakfast, fries, some burgers
Chipotle (Tabasco) = Tacos, Burritos, Latin/Mexican cuisine
Tapatio/Valentina = Mexican/Latin cuisine, tacos, breakfast, fried chicken
Classic Tabasco = breakfast, variety fallback at restaurants (since that tends to be the only option some offer)

I experiment the most with fried chicken, so I'll throw my extreme sauces on those when I want some real heat. I have a nice Carolina Reaper sauce. Also got an awesome pepper medley sauce from a market that I just affectionately refer to as my "Bomba Sauce" since I've long forgotten its real name. It came in a small glass bottle in the shape of a bomb, the cap has a wick coming out of it to add to the imagery. That is a mixture of habanero, Carolina Reaper, and Ghost Pepper.

I've tried hotter, and can enjoy them, but for general consumption I don't really go higher than Carolina Reaper.

My personal sauces tended to either be jalapeno and Serrano based with branches into habanero and chipotle peppers.

The one mixture I tend to not like is the adding of sweetener agents to hot sauces. Only exception is Spicy BBQ sauce, but I don't really consider that a hot sauce. I don't want Mangos w/ my Habanero and I don't want Pineapple with my Jalapenno unless they are toppings on a Hawaiian pizza, not in a sauce. Its just a pansy hot sauce at that point.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2020, 12:31:45 AM »
Unlike Stratos, I'm a huge fan of the sweet-hot combo. I've never been big on the super hot sauces, but a bit of heat to go with the sweetness is a great mix for me. Sweet chili sauces, or honey hot sauces, are among my favorites. There's also a homemade sauce that I make sometimes that's a honey-based sauce that I absolutely adore.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2020, 02:11:50 AM »
I am surprised there isn't any Hot Ones videos in here yet.   

As for myself I am half Mexican from my dads side so I do tend to enjoy spicy food be it Thai and Mexican.  I haven't really tried Indian food but I am interested.     

When Sriracha sauce was a thing a few years ago I put that on everything.   It is pretty common knowledge but whenever I am under the weather I go have spicy food to get my nose cleared up. I need to eat more spicy food in the future.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2020, 08:07:53 PM »
I like hot sauce!

I mostly use Sriracha, Tobasco (most varieties), and Crystal.  The context usually depends on what I'm eating/what was on sale last time I ran out.  But Sriracha goes with most things I like to eat/cook anyway.  I like spicy foods and season with hot spices pretty liberally.

I will add the caveat that I stopped eating the pepper flakes you get at pizza places because one time an errant one ripped me a new gall bladder ONCE, and now I get acid reflux from time to time.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 08:11:15 PM by nickmitch »
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2020, 08:47:50 PM »
I will add the caveat that I stopped eating the pepper flakes you get at pizza places because one time an errant one ripped me a new gall bladder ONCE, and now I get acid reflux from time to time.

That sounds nasty. :(
I've always been curious about trying the flakes, but am consistently too lazy to use them.
NNID: ejamer

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2020, 09:42:47 PM »
I used to really enjoy the extra heat they gave, especially when the place also had a garlic shaker.

It was actually not that bad, it just hurt a bunch.  The full story was that I was in NYC, and we were done early for the day but our flight wasn't until the evening.  We decided on some pizza for the road, so we stopped by a place close to the hotel shortly after checking out.  I had an ABYSMAL night's sleep.  I kept getting up out of bed and was constantly hurting too much to sleep.  I get to work the next day, and my boss looks at my face and more or less says "You look like **** and should go home".  I tell her I wasn't feeling well, and she suggests seeing a doctor.  I call up a buddy of mine, who is a doctor, and he tells me it sounds like my gall bladder is acting up and that I should just take some tums and see if it helps.  If it didn't, I needed to see a doctor in person.  I honestly was a little pissed the solution was so simple because I was seriously hurting.  So I go CVS on the way home and eat some, feeling almost immediately better.  After a day or two of eating tums almost non-stop, the pain went away and I felt normal again.  However, too much drinking or overdoing it on the hot sauce on the wrong day will give me acid reflux.  In fact, for the first couple months, I would get it any time I drank at all.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline SpiritMask

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2020, 04:21:03 PM »

If you like spicy foods/sauces, what brands do you currently enjoy and what recipes do you use it with?

I like Sriracha on pizza, potato salad, and pasta with Alfredo sauce. Tobasco for omelets and hash browns. Crystal cayenne pepper sauce on just about anything else. Frank's Red Hot has great flavor but lacks kick.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2020, 02:00:39 AM »
i love spicy souce and food ??? ???
Any particular kind?
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2020, 02:56:01 AM »
I like Sriracha on my nachos.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post