Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*  (Read 3141075 times)

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*
« Reply #4875 on: September 08, 2011, 12:28:54 PM »
Not only would people need a 3DS but the peripheral too.

The peripheral is only $10 and it will be bundled for free with many games, so getting it isn't going to be a major obstacle for anyone. Plus by the time the WiiU comes out there will probably be a 3DS revision which incorporates it into the system anyway.
is your sanity...

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #4876 on: September 08, 2011, 12:43:24 PM »
So? Four Swords Advantures was bundled with a link cable. That didn't save GCN-GBA connectivity. It made things a bit easier but extra hardware is still extra. It's one more thing in the way of actually playing the game. And a redesign will likely cost more than the current model and that's only attractive if you want a 3DS. Based on the pieces the tablet controller is using, Nintendo could conceivably sell it for less than $80, maybe as low as $60.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #4877 on: September 08, 2011, 01:09:28 PM »
So? Four Swords Advantures was bundled with a link cable. That didn't save GCN-GBA connectivity.

A $2 cable wasn't the reason why GCN-GBA connectivity failed to take off. One of the main reasons it failed was because the GCN was basically a flop, even though the GBA did okay. Plus few games supported the connectivity anyway. Assuming both the WiiU and 3DS sell well and assuming the software support is in place then there's no reason it can't succeed this time around.

And a redesign will likely cost more than the current model and that's only attractive if you want a 3DS.

I doubt it would cost Nintendo more than $1-$2 at most in manufacturing costs to integrate the dual slider. It would cut into the amount of profit they make on each 3DS sold, but there would be no reason to increase the MSRP over the current $169.99 and if anything manufacturing costs should have dropped by that point in time anyway which should more than offset whatever the extra slider costs to integrate.

However, that's just assuming the next 3DS revision is just the slider and nothing else. If they also increase the size of the screen and put in a better quality battery then all bets are off because that could raise the price in a significant way. But the slider alone? That's just some plastic and a small amount of metal.
is your sanity...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #4878 on: September 08, 2011, 01:15:50 PM »
I have to wonder how viable the 3DS would be as a Wii U controller anyway.

According to the patents, the Wii U stream is broadcast using a WirelessN signal and 3DS doesn't support WirelessN to my knowledge. Also the Wii U stream has zer0 lag. Just surfing the internet on the 3DS is much slower than even on my phone. I don't see how it would work just like the uMote with out a revision that included extra hardware, such as the stream receiving hardware or maybe it's a wireless N antenna.

But the real reason I was posting was because I jut updated Rumor Consolidation 2011

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4879 on: September 08, 2011, 01:39:52 PM »
I believe the link cable was $20 individually. GCN may have sold poorly but Nintendo had trouble selling a Zelda game to a lot of Zelda fans because it required so much. What you're suggesting is here is paying over $500 to play a 4-player game. How is this not ridiculous to you? How do you think Wii U is going to fair against the competition if Nintendo asks people to pay that much money? And, more importantly, that much more money than Sony and Microsoft because they sure as hell are not requiring that much from consumers. And their consoles are far more widespread.

And DSi launched at $169.99. DSLite was, what $129.99 at that point? Maybe they'll launch a redesign at the same price as 3DS currently is now, but that's still $169.99 vs. a much cheaper tablet controller. If Nintendo wants to have a chance against 360 and PS3 with the same games, they can't be peddling completely separate hardware at the same time. They're going to have a hard enough time selling Wii U without trying to sell 3DS along with it.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #4880 on: September 08, 2011, 01:53:29 PM »
I believe the link cable was $20 individually.

Was it really? That's a lot more than it needed to be. In any case though, the 3DS and WiiU will communicate wirelessly so the cost and hassle of dealing with a cable is eliminated. Maybe that will help this idea succeed this time around.

What you're suggesting is here is paying over $500 to play a 4-player game. How is this not ridiculous to you?

It only sounds ridiculous if one person is spending $500 to buy all the equipment. I would expect each person to account for their own 3DS/Tablet and then bring it along whenever there is a get together. One person buying everything means that person is either dumb or has a lot of money to blow.

How do you think Wii U is going to fair against the competition if Nintendo asks people to pay that much money? And, more importantly, that much more money than Sony and Microsoft because they sure as hell are not requiring that much from consumers.

Sony has already announced plans to link the Vita up with the PS3 in a similar manner.
is your sanity...

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4881 on: September 08, 2011, 02:47:00 PM »
1. The point is that you would need a 3DS AND slide pad peripheral. Like the link cable, the slide pad is another part Nintendo is asking people to buy. Sure, it's $10 less than the link cable but Nintendo is still asking people to buy it. The more you ask of consumer, the less likely it is to succeed. Of course, a redesign with the 2nd slide pad doesn't require the add-on but they're still putting hurdles in front of enjoying the game. Nintendo has been trumpeting simplicity and ease of use and this isn't. It's needlessly complicated and more expensive.

2. I wasn't suggesting that 1 person supply everything. Bringing $500 worth of additional hardware just to play locally is a lot to ask when the alternative is potentially paying less than $200 with more features and a larger screen.

3. The Dual Shock 3 doesn't cease to be just because Sony is planning on linking PS3 and Vita. And I've posted my thoughts on this before and it's no different with using 3DS as a controller for Wii U. It costs too much. I'm curious how many people Sony thinks will actually take advantage of this. It's not the same thing as the Wii U and tablet controller which is cheaper and built for this exact purpose. However, Sony is offering it as an option, not a requirement. They aren't asking anyone to support this. If (and that's a big if) Nintendo makes 3DS a requirement, I have a hard time believing that can be successful. I think it's great as an option and should definitely be one for people who want to do that. It just can't be their multiplayer solution.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #4882 on: September 08, 2011, 03:09:42 PM »
I don't know what Nintendo's plans are, but I don't think the 3DS will be a requirement for local multiplayer. I just think it should be an option.
is your sanity...

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #4883 on: September 08, 2011, 11:58:19 PM »
[...]Nintendo had trouble selling a Zelda game to a lot of Zelda fans because it required so much.

Citation needed, please.
Four Swords Adventure required nothing more that hasn't been required out of virtually every other console game before it.  The game, the system and a controller.  What are these outrageous requirements that FSA had?
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #4884 on: September 09, 2011, 12:08:36 AM »
Game Boy Advances and GameCube-Game Boy Advance cables for every player you wanted to add.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4885 on: September 09, 2011, 12:21:53 AM »
4 GBAs and 4 link cables. That's a lot more than most multiplayer games asked. Four Swords Adventures sold considerably less than its console predecessor, The Wind Waker.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4886 on: September 09, 2011, 12:26:27 AM »
4 GBAs and 4 link cables. That's a lot more than most multiplayer games asked. Four Swords Adventures sold considerably less than its console predecessor, The Wind Waker.

Wait, now...  you said "Zelda" fans.  Not multi-player fans.

Any Zelda fan could enjoy single player FSA in the exact same fashion they enjoyed single-player every-single-console-Zelda-game-before.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4887 on: September 09, 2011, 12:46:26 AM »
I never said the game couldn't be enjoyed by Zelda fans. I said Nintendo had trouble selling the game to Zelda fans. Considering how poorly Four Swords Adventures sold (for a Zelda game), I'd say it didn't reach a great deal of the series' devoted fan base. I contribute that in large part to the game's ridiculous requirement to play as intended: with 4 players each with his/her own GBA and link cable.

I've played the game single player. Ehh... It was much more fun the second time around with my brother once I got official link cables in a bargain bin at Gamecrazy and a second GBA for $20. I can only imagine it'd be more fun with 4 players. A girl ca dream....

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4888 on: September 09, 2011, 01:16:12 AM »
I think there's a plethora of reasons as to why FSA didn't sell all that crazy - to Zelda fans or anyone else.

The fact that it was marketed primarily as a multi-player adventure didn't help.  There are probably still people out there who don't know you can play it solo.
Heck, all things considered, I'd say the million-ish that bought the game *were* the Zelda fans.  I didn't hear about too many casual players reviewing the game.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #4889 on: September 09, 2011, 08:37:06 AM »
The problem with FSA was that it was multiplayer, and Zelda and Multiplayer is entirely unheard of except for that one game. As Yamauchi said, people who play RPGs are boring losers who hide in the basement. Zelda is kinda like an RPG so its not really a MP friendly sort of game. It was just a bad combination, but in no way does it debunk the whole connectivity idea.
is your sanity...

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4890 on: September 09, 2011, 10:08:49 AM »
I'm in the minority of people who like to play FSA single player.

Though to be honest the game really is the equivalent to Link Crossbow Training.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #4891 on: September 09, 2011, 10:30:57 AM »
See, I never knew you could play FSA single player. I never actually played the game and I thought based on what little I knew about it that the GCN-GBA connectivity was a requirement to play it rather than an option. Maybe it only would have taken a little bit of research for me to figure out that wasn't the case, but I didn't.

So maybe that's why it didn't sell very well. Maybe most people made the same assumption I did and just dismissed it?
is your sanity...

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4892 on: September 09, 2011, 10:55:20 AM »
I could see that.  When playing single Player you put your links into formations.  Which is frankly easier then trying to direct someone.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4893 on: September 09, 2011, 01:32:03 PM »
There are probably still people out there who don't know you can play it solo.
See, I never knew you could play FSA single player.

Tee-hee. :D

The game has two modes (three in the original Japanese version).  The primary mode, Adventure mode, can be played with 1-4 people.  One person can play using either a GameCube controller or a GBA/Cable.  2-4 people require each having a GBA/Cable.

The second mode is a "battle mode" that requires 2-4 players, each with a GBA/Cable.

Anyway, the adventure mode is a pretty awesome game.  It doesn't quite have the spirit of exploration that a regular Zelda game has (it's structured in levels), but it still has all kinds of items, puzzles, enemies, etc.  It's a fun game, even single player.  As mentioned by Ceric, depending on who you're playing with, single player can even be more fun. :D

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #4894 on: September 09, 2011, 01:56:27 PM »
I got the Japanese version so that we could play Navi Trackers. I still don't understand why they removed that in the US version.
Language only came up as a problem in the forest where they ask you about certain items.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4895 on: September 09, 2011, 02:04:19 PM »
I got the Japanese version so that we could play Navi Trackers. I still don't understand why they removed that in the US version.
Language only came up as a problem in the forest where they ask you about certain items.

I got both versions so I could play Navi Trackers. :D

It's an interesting game that I was able to figure out with the help of a guide...

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #4896 on: September 09, 2011, 06:31:13 PM »
I knew that Zelda Four Swords had a single-player mode, but I thought it still required the link cable. Not that I would have bought the game if I knew that, since I likely wouldn't have ever had the chance for multiplayer, though if I ever see it cheap I'd get it just to have it. I'm still hoping to find the mythical link cable at a GameStop, as well...

As for using the 3DS as a controller, I think it would be neat as optional functionality, but it shouldn't be a requirement for any multiplayer games. I don't think it will be, since it was said that Wiimotes and Nunchuks can be used for multiplayer, but I still hope to see multiple screen controllers supported.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 06:39:36 PM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #4898 on: September 09, 2011, 06:49:15 PM »
Not bad, but they'd be only 99 cents at GameStop!

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #4899 on: September 09, 2011, 08:09:50 PM »
Not bad, but they'd be only 99 cents at GameStop!

A $7 bird in the hand is worth two 99cent birds in the bush.
is your sanity...