Community Forums > NWR Mafia Games

Mafia 84:RE:CV Neighbor Wrapup thread and MVP Voting thread

<< < (13/13)

Khushrenada:
Hey, the majority vote got me on Day 4. There was only 1 vote from Steefosaurus when I last saw the thread and when I came back the next morning, I had been voted out a few minutes earlier. Would have been nice if I'd had more a chance to counter that but not sure townies would have been swayed at that point having done it once before on Day 2.

The majority vote can be good or bad but it still falls on the players and their choices so I've got no problem with it even though I had to fight against it once and with very little time to do so. I think this is the first game where players really started utilizing the vote more even in the earlier days which I liked. Even with the MV, so many games still went a full voting period that could have been ended sooner so I began to wonder what the point was if players were never going to take advantage.

That said, I always felt the majority vote was more for the endgame then the start. In the first few days, people are going to be more divided in how they vote and choose but this gives more time to think. In the end, with fewer players, the game can stretch but the majority vote can keep it moving along quickly as often a good chunk of the players will know what is what by that point. That's why I was shaking my head a bit when BeautifulShy wanted to suddenly remove the majority vote near the end and require everyone to vote. That's when I thought the majority vote rule was most useful to move those days along.

Thatguy can say the last day was an argument against the majority vote but I disagree. That is the mafia taking a bold chance to use it to their advantage and they almost succeeded. If players want to vote quickly to end a day like that then it is their call but if they regret it later based on the results then that is also on them. Personally, I liked that it was used more this game. It gave the game more of an urgency this time around to make your case fast or you may never get to make it.  Act fast to control the vote.

BeautifulShy:
On the Majority vote I was weighing what would be the best option for ending the day early with this setup and not be to penalizing to the players at the same time.   Be it Majority, just the standard vote however you want but each day would be 48 hours and whoever had the most votes would be voted out or just having everyone in the game vote to end the day early.   All of those have their pros and cons.  Majority with no discussion time would give players votes the most importance since once majority is reached that is it no more discussion to be had and they are stuck with their choice.  It also felt like with majority everyones voice wasn't heard because not everyone got to vote before majority was reached.     Majority with the hour discussion time could give players votes a choice with a chance to back out if they felt it wasn't the right choice or to use it to get more info on that player within that hour.  Standard voting for 48 hours and at the end of the day I would tally things up and it would be familiar to players.  Finally having everyone vote to end the day early could be used in multiple ways.  It is kinda like everyone is a jury member and their voice matters so much more and to allow much more discussion amongst players like "why should I put my vote towards this player over another" and there would be much more discussion at the start of the game since there would be 15 players and there would be lots more voices and participation and every voice would count.

Then on top of all that I had to decide if I was going to have a voting requirement or not like I usually do with these games.  Like you must vote once every 3 game days.  I have noticed players, usually on the mafia side,  do the bare minimum of voting when that is in effect so they can skirt away from any action or playing at all unless it is that 3rd day vote.  With the neighborize role I was kinda forced away from that because what if Alexia doesn't sign in for 3 days or the randomizer game Alexia to Stratos and he wasn't voted out the first 3 days.  Wasted role in that instance or if a player like say lolmonade this game missed the voting requirement because they missed out on voting because Majority was reached too fast in 3 consecutive days and that role is lost. 

Yes this is what I think about when planning a game. Sad I know huh?

that Baby guy:

--- Quote from: Khushrenada on January 25, 2020, 08:03:03 PM ---Hey, the majority vote got me on Day 4. There was only 1 vote from Steefosaurus when I last saw the thread and when I came back the next morning, I had been voted out a few minutes earlier. Would have been nice if I'd had more a chance to counter that but not sure townies would have been swayed at that point having done it once before on Day 2.

The majority vote can be good or bad but it still falls on the players and their choices so I've got no problem with it even though I had to fight against it once and with very little time to do so. I think this is the first game where players really started utilizing the vote more even in the earlier days which I liked. Even with the MV, so many games still went a full voting period that could have been ended sooner so I began to wonder what the point was if players were never going to take advantage.

That said, I always felt the majority vote was more for the endgame then the start. In the first few days, people are going to be more divided in how they vote and choose but this gives more time to think. In the end, with fewer players, the game can stretch but the majority vote can keep it moving along quickly as often a good chunk of the players will know what is what by that point. That's why I was shaking my head a bit when BeautifulShy wanted to suddenly remove the majority vote near the end and require everyone to vote. That's when I thought the majority vote rule was most useful to move those days along.

Thatguy can say the last day was an argument against the majority vote but I disagree. That is the mafia taking a bold chance to use it to their advantage and they almost succeeded. If players want to vote quickly to end a day like that then it is their call but if they regret it later based on the results then that is also on them. Personally, I liked that it was used more this game. It gave the game more of an urgency this time around to make your case fast or you may never get to make it.  Act fast to control the vote.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, if you take a look at my post, I started considering it a little more. If townies want to act quickly and make decisions, rash or reasoned, I suppose that's up to them, right?

Khushrenada:
Yes but that didn't mean you then altered you first statement about it being a reason against the Majority Vote even if you mentioned at the end the counter argument. I just punched up the counterargument a bit more.

Khushrenada:

--- Quote from: BeautifulShy on January 25, 2020, 08:39:40 PM ---Yes this is what I think about when planning a game. Sad I know huh?

--- End quote ---

No. Good host planning requires running scenarios like that in your head and asking questions about the roles and rules decisions you are making. I do it myself to determine what I think will be most beneficial to the game I'm about to launch.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version