Author Topic: Capcom arcade stick plug-and-play: what are your thoughts?  (Read 2718 times)

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
Capcom arcade stick plug-and-play: what are your thoughts?
« on: April 17, 2019, 11:04:01 AM »
Wow, this looks swaggy.

The game selection is pretty sweet, with a couple of interesting exclusives that will definitely help boost interest.
The novelty shape and appearance still looks functional and attractive.
But man oh man, that pricing...

On a per-game basis, pricing doesn't sound that bad - but there is no way I'd buy all of these games, and many are available at inexpensive rates elsewhere. Despite having interest, it's strictly outside of my budget - if I was planning to drop that much money on video games, it would probably be to get an (expandable) home console.

That does bring up an interesting point though: if this was expandable, would it be more attractive?
Maybe... Having the ability to add extra games for $5-15 a pop would be pretty killer. Piracy would be a concern, but frankly, people are going to hack things anyway so I'm not sure it matters.
NNID: ejamer

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
Re: Capcom arcade stick plug-and-play: what are your thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2019, 11:27:09 AM »
If the two joystick CAPCOM set-up was splitable so you could have them separated when you're actually playing, i'd be a LITTLE more interested. 

Otherwise, I kind of like the idea of a plug-and-play thing like this.  I'm guessing there's going to be plenty of people who find their own ways to "expand" the library.  It kind of comes off as a "we don't feel we can sell these games at prices we'd want so we'll force people to buy a $230 peripheral" move.

And does Capcom have an agenda against the Street Fighter Alpha series?  I'd really like to see those included on more of these collections instead of constantly dumping Street Fighter II.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2019, 12:53:46 PM »
I overall think this is a cool.  It looks like a high quality stick and it has some awesome games like Alien vs. Predator!  I would never assume that game would get an official release.  I want one but I won't buy it because the price is too high.

But it's only too high because of the minimal amount of games.  16 games is too few when similar products have at least 20.  I get that to have a good arcade stick there is going to be a higher price but that can be balanced out with more games.  The games are already made and many of them used the same arcade boards that the included titles use so they should run the same with emulation.  It is essentially no cost to Capcom to double the amount of titles on this thing and make it a better value.

If I won one in a contest or it flopped and I could get it in clearance for half-price I would be thrilled.  But other than that I can't justify buying it unless they increase the amount of titles included.  This is SO close to a product I want.  Why is Nintendo the only company to have pulled this off correctly?  The mini Neo Geo and PlayStation could have easily been must-own products if not for incredibly boneheaded decisions.  Nintendo's biggest flubs on this stuff was the cord length and not making enough NES Classics.

Though one thing that is cool about this is that it shows that you can make a similar mini-console product without an actual retro console to your name.  Why shouldn't Namco or Taito make a similar product for their arcade games?

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2019, 10:49:02 PM »
$260 for 16 games can promptly get right the **** out of my face.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2019, 11:04:32 PM »
I was kinda excited about this until I saw the price.  For $260 Capcom should be putting as many arcade games as possible. Seriously, there is no reason not to.  Why not have the at least one representative of very classic Street Fighter Game.  2, Alpha, 3?  And why not pick the most definitive best version of those games.  Super Street Fighter 2.  Street Fighter 3 3rd Strike, and Street Fighter 2 Alpha 2.  Also why not include more of their funky strange games?  Or one of the SNK vs. Capcom game series?  Or for that price one of the Marvel Vs. Capcom games?  Seriously, this is a horrible list of games.  I think if Capcom wanted to be serious they would have at least put 25 to 30 games on the thing easy. 

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2019, 12:12:57 AM »
It's absolutely hideous, in my opinion. Cool idea, but $260 is ridiculous, even for Sanwa sticks. This should be right around $150. The hardware for the emulator most likely doesn't cost more than $20 or so (and doesn't need to), and you and I can get that full set of sticks and buttons for $96 from Sanwa, so I'm sure Capcom can get them *much* cheaper than that. There should definitely be more games on there too. 16 seems like a lot, but these are Capcom games being sold by Capcom...they've already made their money on them. This is basically their answer to something like a Pandora's Box, but it's not a good answer.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2019, 10:39:02 PM »
Apparently Capcom is illegally using FB Alpha for this too, which forbids commercial usage for their emulator. One person from FB Alpha says "Capcom has licensed it" but every developer says otherwise. This could end up being vaporware.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2019, 02:24:34 AM »
I Googled this thing. It's kinda UUUUUUGGLY

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2019, 02:40:40 AM »
Apparently Capcom is illegally using FB Alpha for this too, which forbids commercial usage for their emulator. One person from FB Alpha says "Capcom has licensed it" but every developer says otherwise. This could end up being vaporware.

They've released emulated arcade games on other platforms before.  I figure they could switch to using one of those.