Gaming Forums > Nintendo Gaming

Game Boy: Finally time to Play It Loud!®

<< < (2/4) > >>

UncleBob:
>Super Mario Deluxe is probably the best version of Super Mario Bros out there and there is so much unlockable content and ways to play.

I have a love/hate relationship to this game.  I agree, with all the unlockables (including the majority of Lost Levels, although they've been modified to be easier), the hidden Yoshi eggs. red coins, etc... oh, and the Multi-Player mode is soooo much fun (but it requires two copies of the game and two GameBoys, of course)... it is a great version of the game.

All that said, the way they handled the screen size is... ugh.  It's a terrible way to play Mario.  I would love a re-release that keeps all the unlockables (perhaps some changes to the GameBoy Printer stuff, obviously), but fixes the screen ratio.  It will absolutely never happen, but it would be great.

Adrock:
@Discord.RSS
I only played the first level of Perfect Dark. It's okay. I mainly bought it because of the rumble cartridge, and the graphics impressed me. I never got into the Tony Hawk games on consoles. They may be EverDrive games for me.

I had Pokémon Blue back in the day so I wanted to play Yellow for the slightly different experience and references to the anime which I enjoyed back then. I kind of want to run through the third version of first few Pokémon generations. Crystal and Emerald are stupid expensive right now though.

There are a few games I bought primarily because they're technically impressive for the time and hardware though I'm angling for ones that I heard are still decent to good games. Velez and Dubail's GBA games look great but also reviewed fairly well. I just snagged another one of their titles (Stuntman) for like $7 on eBay today so I'll update the OP. I now have three of their four GBA games. I think Asterix & Obélix XXL is out of my price range, and I've never seen it on eBay. I'd love to try it. Asterix & Obélix XXL is, to my knowledge, the only 3D platformer on GBA.

That said, I will likely pass on 007: Nightfire. The frame rate is apparently appalling. I also still have issues with FPS games. If I were to get one, I read Doom II is one of the better ones. While impressive on GBA, if I really want the game, I’d probably be better off getting it on Switch.

@BeautifulShy
There's a GBA+games lot I'm eyeballing that includes Super Mario Land 2 and Super Mario Bros. Deluxe. He listed it as "$350 OBO". I offered $300, and he replied he's looking for $350. I don't think he knows what "OBO" means. Still, it might be my only legitimate chance to get Pokémon Crystal for under $100 any time soon. Playing chicken with him right now. I finally added up how much I've spent on Game Boy systems, mods, and games. It's too embarrassing to admit.

I'll look into Balloon Kid. I'm admittedly not super familiar with OG Game Boy titles (hence the recommendation thread). Dr. Mario looks relatively cheap. I’m surprised there’s no Color version. I flip-flop on the Final Fantasy Legend series. They're a little pricey so I won't go out of my way. I've overpaid on a few games, but they were ones I really wanted. I'm mildly interested in the Donkey Kong Land games.

I was eyeing up all the Dragon Warrior games on GBC. I may wait until online prices calm the heck down. Resident Evil Gaiden is definitely out of my price range right now. The only North American cartridge on eBay right now is $200, and the label is damaged. Gaiden has EverDrive written all over it.

I will probably pass on the entire Super Mario Advance line. I have better versions on the Super Nintendo Classic Edition. Also, I don't have an e-Reader, and those cards aren't especially easy to get. There are reproduction cartridges that include the e-Reader levels.

I have Final Fantasy I & II: Dawn of Souls somewhere. My brother might have it. I will look into Final Fantasy Tactics: Advance.

@UncleBob
I hope Nintendo doesn't re-release Super Mario Bros. Deluxe. For your sake. You don't need another copy of that game.

Order.RSS:

--- Quote from: Adrock on April 10, 2021, 07:42:51 PM ---I intentionally left Shantae (GBC) and Ninja Five-O (GBA) off that list. Those cartridges go for hundreds of dollars so nope, not going to happen. I missed the Limited Run Games re-print of Shantae last year. My preference for all these retro games is to have the physical cartridge.
--- End quote ---

For what it's worth, Shantae is releasing on Switch in a week or two. Includes both the GBC version and the improvements you would get if played on a GBA. See trailer here if you're interested.

Adrock:
I saw the trailer the other day. I’m conflicted. While I like the Shantae games, my favorite one was Shantae and the Pirate’s Curse. I haven’t played Shantae and the Seven Sirens because Shantae: 1/2 Genie Hero felt like a step back to me. Going all the way back to the original (which is apparently hella difficult) seems like an even further step back. I still want to play it. However, the main draw for me would be playing the game on original hardware. I want that authentic old school feel. It’s part of the reason why I’m stubbornly insisting on also modding GBC instead of merely using backwards compatibility on GBA.

Have you played the original Shantae? If so, what did you think of it? Will you get it on Switch? Questions!

Order.RSS:

--- Quote from: Adrock on April 13, 2021, 06:35:18 PM ---I saw the trailer the other day. I’m conflicted. While I like the Shantae games, my favorite one was Shantae and the Pirate’s Curse. I haven’t played Shantae and the Seven Sirens because Shantae: 1/2 Genie Hero felt like a step back to me. Going all the way back to the original (which is apparently hella difficult) seems like an even further step back.
--- End quote ---

Basically feel the same way. Pirate's Curse was my fave (although the final dungeon was too difficult for my liking), with both Risky's Revenge and Half-Genie Hero falling a bit short. The series is just very iterative, recycling everything from level lay-outs to music, so going back to the original will probably mostly trigger a "huh so that's where this all started" thought.

I did enjoy Half-Genie Hero though, and the new style looks much nicer than the pixel art ones. Might grab this one for curiosity's sake (I'm never buying a 300$ cartridge), or try out Shantae Seven Sirens one day. It's at least cool they're making the original more available, and afaik the series has never really been bad, just kinda average with one major outlier in the great Pirate's Curse.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version