Author Topic: Hey! DC's got stuff too... (Official Thread for the DCU of Movies and TV)  (Read 269135 times)

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
Re: Hey! DC's got stuff too... (Official Thread for the DCU of Movies and TV)
« Reply #750 on: January 15, 2020, 07:55:35 AM »
What was the surprise cameo?  Also, I am still curious about it.  Is it remotely possible to watch it and understand without watching any of the shows?

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: January 15, 2020, 03:12:09 PM »
What was the surprise cameo?

Ezra Miller's movie Flash

Also, I am still curious about it.  Is it remotely possible to watch it and understand without watching any of the shows?

Oh most definitely.  The only other shows I would suggest you watch for prep would be the Elseworlds crossover from 2018.  Not necessary, but it will shed light on one of the major points from this one.  But by no means do you need to watch all the shows.  In fact in order to save your sanity I would recommend against it.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 03:18:26 PM by Shorty McNostril »

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: January 15, 2020, 09:59:14 PM »
In fact in order to save your sanity I would recommend against it.

I can agree with this. If you are going to watch one of the shows I recommend Legends of Tomorrow. It's a fun adventure show with a ship full of Losers/C-List heroes that doesn't take itself seriously at all. There is a Unicorn that eats hearts, so yeah not serious. Then there is Rip, he is brilliant asshole, Duvuel carries the show until it can stand on it's own.

A warning I do give is the supporting character of the first 2 seasons are "Please go away". It still suffers from "TV" fighting where somehow it's hand to hand despite guns and there is a bit of shoehorning. It bad enough that at times I rather not have a fight at all, less can be more.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: January 16, 2020, 04:09:39 PM »
In fact in order to save your sanity I would recommend against it.

I can agree with this. If you are going to watch one of the shows I recommend Legends of Tomorrow. It's a fun adventure show with a ship full of Losers/C-List heroes that doesn't take itself seriously at all. There is a Unicorn that eats hearts, so yeah not serious. Then there is Rip, he is brilliant asshole, Duvuel carries the show until it can stand on it's own.

A warning I do give is the supporting character of the first 2 seasons are "Please go away". It still suffers from "TV" fighting where somehow it's hand to hand despite guns and there is a bit of shoehorning. It bad enough that at times I rather not have a fight at all, less can be more.

It feels like somewhere in late Season 1 / Early S2 they decided to stop trying to spend money on the characters' powers and go in another direction. Not entirely a bad thing given we wound up with Beebo.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: January 16, 2020, 05:08:18 PM »
I'm watching Part 5 of Crisis now and the best lines of the entire crossover are, unsurprisingly, in the Legends ep.

"Is this what all the crossovers are like?"

Offline Shorty McNostril

• View Profile
« Reply #755 on: January 16, 2020, 10:18:45 PM »
I'm watching Part 5 of Crisis now and the best lines of the entire crossover are, unsurprisingly, in the Legends ep.

Yeah, Legends is the only one out of the lot of them which doesn't take itself seriously.  It's a dumb show and it knows it.

All the other ones think they are some kind of hard core insightful analytical commentary on society.  I think this is my biggest gripe with them.  If I'm watching a superhero show (especially one from CW for goodness sake) I don't want to be preached at.  I want to switch my brain off and watch superhero nonsense happen.  I think it's the irony that makes them so damn forgettable.   The complete nonsense happening on screen taken so seriously.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: January 18, 2020, 12:30:30 PM »
All the other ones think they are some kind of hard core insightful analytical commentary on society.  I think this is my biggest gripe with them.  If I'm watching a superhero show (especially one from CW for goodness sake) I don't want to be preached at.  I want to switch my brain off and watch superhero nonsense happen.

Granted, I haven't watched any of the Arrowverse shows in a few years (the last episodes I watched were the crossover with the Nazi Arrow/Supergirl universe) and I've never watched (and never will watch) Black Lightning, but I feel like only Supergirl thinks it's some kind of hardcore, pretentious, analytical commentary on society. That's the reason I stopped watching it.

I'm completely with you that Legends is the most fun one of the bunch, and I REALLY need to catch up on the Arrowverse just so I can watch the season where the awesomeness that is Constantine joins the show. Arrow and Flash shared the issue of redundancy: both did 1-2 kinds of story really well, and then spent the next 5-6 seasons repeating them. Flash was one of the most entertaining shows I'd ever seen when it 1st released, and then it started pulling towards Arrow's brooding. Meanwhile, Arrow never stopped brooding. It got old. Plus, Arrow really wanted me to care about Felicity, who is just The Worst by that point in the show.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 12:38:03 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: January 18, 2020, 12:44:56 PM »
I'm glad we all pretty much agree about Legends.

It started out bad.  It tried to play things straight and serious and I spent so much time yelling at the TV that what they were doing made no sense in the context of the show.

Then, at some point, I feel like someone involved actually heard me and was like "You know what?  **** this.  We have a group of low-tier idiots running through time just fucking stuff up - let's just have fun." and the show got good.  It's not high value, philosophical, meaningful, or even particularly well written/produced/acted the vast majority of the time.  But it's just fun.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: January 18, 2020, 03:31:57 PM »
The show's overall sense of lunacy (NOW, that is) brings enough fun that i can ignore all the issues simply to see Mick get mad that a giant Beebo interrupted his book signing as Rebecca Silver - i'm glad Mick has got much more interesting development since the start of the series. He's now easily one of my favourite characters

My only complaints is how Legends, both the show and its characters is treated as a child series to everything else; stories never actually go BACK to Flash or Arrow, but plenty go TO Legends in the early days. And in the crossover Sara mentions how Oliver is the last person to remember him before she got on the boat - has she forgotten her mother is still alive?

I've never watched (and never will watch) Black Lightning

I think you should give it a try. Even though it is Arrowverse adjacent - don't let Crisis fool you into thinking its in the Arrowverse now, all the shows (bar bits of Batwoman) is in Vancouver while Black Lightning is in Atlanta. Crossover opportunities, in terms of production, are limited. Unlike all the other shows, this one looks at superheroes through a different lens. Whether that's successful or not is another story, but it at least makes a strong effort to do that.

Plus Jefferson and Lynn have better chemistry than Iris/Barry, Oliver/Felicity and even Ava/Sara.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 03:47:20 PM by Plugabugz »

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: January 26, 2020, 04:28:37 AM »
I finally watched Joker.

Damn, this was a great movie.

People who were complaining about the "message" of this movie missed the point.

Do recommend.  Best DC movie in a long time.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #760 on: January 26, 2020, 09:02:14 AM »
I finally watched Joker.

Damn, this was a great movie.

People who were complaining about the "message" of this movie missed the point.

Do recommend.  Best DC movie in a long time.

I also watched it recently for the 1st time after it hit BluRay.

Yeah, it was alright. I'm not thrilled with the pacing of the movie, with its fondness of lingering on sequences that don't seem to have any particular purpose. What specifically comes to mind are those moments where the movie will just stop so Phoenix can do one of those extended arm flailing "dancing" sequences with himself. Honestly, I'm not sure I understood what he was doing for a fair amount of the film.

There are also a plot point in the movie I don't think is explained particularly well: how the pseudo-Occupy Wallstreet clown mob know that someone specifically dressed as a clown killed those 3 Wallstreet thugs to begin with. It feels like there was a scene cut where it revealed that someone saw that last Wallstreet guy get killed & reported it.

Overall, I quite like the movie, but there are elements of it that bug me a bit.

I really need to catch up on my Superhero stuff. Aquaman and Shazam were cheap on Amazon the other day, so I ordered those. Haven't watched a Marvel film since...Guardians 2?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 09:03:51 AM by broodwars »

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #761 on: January 26, 2020, 09:18:27 AM »
Incidentally, along with Shazam & Aquaman, I also picked up a DC movie I've always been morbidly curious about: Superman: Brainiac Attacks. It's an animated Superman movie that uses the art style & most of the voice cast from Superman: The Animate Series, so it's kinda...sorta...a "lost" DC AU movie, but...not really.

I went into this movie expecting a total trainwreck that based on its reputation, but it's not actually that bad. In fact, I'd say it's about on par with a C-Tier Superman: TAS/Justice League episode. The animation is typical DCAU-caliber work, the voice acting is excellent, and the story is not all that far off what you'd see in a typical Superman episode of the DCAU.

Where the movie falls flat with me is how it fails to commit to a particular style. The movie may LOOK like S:TAS, but it has none of the musical theme from that series. Instead, it seems to rely on an odd variation of the John Williams Superman theme. Luthor is not only voiced by Powers Boothe instead of Clancy Brown (the best Lex Luthor), but his character seems to be modeled after the Gene Hackman Luthor. He just has a lot of goofy dialogue and bad jokes that just don't work for the character. Likewise, Brainiac is now voiced by Lance Henrickson instead of Corey Burton, and his character seems more emotional than we've ever seen the character. Meanwhile, Lois; Superman: Jimmy Olsen; Perry White; etc. all DO have their Superman:TAS voice actors and are very much in character with those versions. The two styles just don't fit together.

Overall, eh...it's alright. We DCAU fans are spoiled when it comes to great storytelling, and by comparison to the proper DCAU this film does not hold up well. However, on its own I thought it was OK.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 09:20:03 AM by broodwars »

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: January 26, 2020, 01:12:46 PM »
>There are also a plot point in the movie I don't think is explained particularly well: how the pseudo-Occupy Wallstreet clown mob know that someone specifically dressed as a clown killed those 3 Wallstreet thugs to begin with. It feels like there was a scene cut where it revealed that someone saw that last Wallstreet guy get killed & reported it.

The woman who was being harassed by the three guys surely went to the cops after she heard about the murders.  I imagine she was all "Yeah, they were harassing me at x:xx and I left when they started harassing this clown freak instead." and the cops had already figured out the murders happened around x:xy due to information from the medical examiner combined with two of the bodies being on the train and the third having got off at a particular stop and leaving a bloody trail from the train and through the stop.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: January 26, 2020, 06:47:56 PM »
Harley Quinn continues to own.

A corporate orientation VHS fronted by Lex Luthor for the Legend of Doom? Yes please.

Bain: I am still trying to get a chair...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: February 01, 2020, 01:00:41 AM »
a new clip of Birds of Prey.....

https://twitter.com/TheDCEU/status/1222758423453847552

:|

I didn't get to watch with sound, but this ain't the scene that selling me on anything.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #765 on: February 01, 2020, 10:22:20 AM »
The action is just too slow and the fight just doesn’t seem to have any power or weight to it. In theory I like the camera work and the clear action shots but something is off.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: February 01, 2020, 02:21:24 PM »
Several positive reviews are in but that looks like a Joel Schumacher Batman clip.

Though there is some appeal to the Joel Schumacher Batman movies if you don't take them seriously.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: February 01, 2020, 04:07:52 PM »
Who is the cinematographer for this BOP film???? They should be fired.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: February 10, 2020, 02:12:36 PM »
I've been checking out DC Universe. That Harley Quinn cartoon is heinous trash. I'm halfway through the first episode of Doom Patrol, it could be something.

Offline Shorty McNostril

• View Profile
« Reply #769 on: February 10, 2020, 03:00:01 PM »
I've been checking out DC Universe. That Harley Quinn cartoon is heinous trash.

Another Oohhboy argument in 3, 2, 1.....

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: February 10, 2020, 06:23:49 PM »
Birds of Prey appears to have under-performed.

Good. It looked like crap.

Good why? I don't judge things until I've got more than just a trailer. The general consensus has the movie squarely as a B rating. But I also can't go by that either. I have to actually watch it. The only reason I haven't watched it is I'm not that fond of going to the theater anymore. I have a free voucher and some gift cards, but it's a lot of trouble to go get a ticket when I can watch something else on VOD.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 06:25:59 PM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: February 10, 2020, 08:52:42 PM »
I've been checking out DC Universe. That Harley Quinn cartoon is heinous trash.

Another Oohhboy argument in 3, 2, 1.....

The trailer was very representative.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #774 on: February 10, 2020, 09:29:06 PM »
Birds of Prey appears to have under-performed.

Good. It looked like crap.

Good why? I don't judge things until I've got more than just a trailer. The general consensus has the movie squarely as a B rating. But I also can't go by that either. I have to actually watch it. The only reason I haven't watched it is I'm not that fond of going to the theater anymore. I have a free voucher and some gift cards, but it's a lot of trouble to go get a ticket when I can watch something else on VOD.

The trailers look awful, and the general consensus online seems to be that the trailers are fairly representative of the final product. It looks like a film that was rushed out the door to pander to a very particular subset of the fandom, and now it is failing as a result. It's not even a proper Birds of Prey film, since the Birds of Prey are traditionally Batgirl/Oracle, Huntress, and Black Canary.