Author Topic: What Do we want from the wii successor  (Read 39151 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Re: What Do we want from the wii successor
« Reply #150 on: February 20, 2010, 02:32:11 PM »
Not really, because if you still have your original purchases and the system they work on, then you can always play it that way. All they did was offer the same games to a potentially new audience and in no way tricked you into thinking it was something different than what it was. It's more like you ripped yourself off for buying the same game so many times. Oops, your bad.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: February 20, 2010, 02:48:23 PM »
It isn't a rip-off when you know exactly what it is you are buying. If you bought a game that was advertised as being a new Mario game and ended up being Super Mario Brothers, that would be a rip-off.

No, its still a rip-off because if I want to play these old games again I have to re-purchase them, even though I had already purchased them several times before.
Why did you have to repurchase them? Who forced you to do that? What happened to the other versions that you bought?

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #152 on: February 20, 2010, 03:23:33 PM »
It isn't a rip-off when you know exactly what it is you are buying. If you bought a game that was advertised as being a new Mario game and ended up being Super Mario Brothers, that would be a rip-off.

No, its still a rip-off because if I want to play these old games again I have to re-purchase them, even though I had already purchased them several times before.

BS. That's like saying "I bought this movie on VHS, so it's a rip-off having to buy it on DVD or Blu-ray Disc" or "I bought this album on cassette, it's a rip-off having to buy it on CD". There is nothing stopping you from playing the original versions of a game on their systems. Don't complain because you want a game without having to pay for it.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: February 20, 2010, 03:28:57 PM »
I wish I could take my Wii Music videos and send them to people without Wii Music, or at least post them to Youtube easily or something.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: February 20, 2010, 06:37:52 PM »

BS. That's like saying "I bought this movie on VHS, so it's a rip-off having to buy it on DVD or Blu-ray Disc" or "I bought this album on cassette, it's a rip-off having to buy it on CD". There is nothing stopping you from playing the original versions of a game on their systems. Don't complain because you want a game without having to pay for it.

The only thing that makes these scenarios a rip-off is that the media cartels would like you to believe that format shifting is a crime.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: February 21, 2010, 01:55:03 PM »
Don't complain because you want a game without having to pay for it.

LOL
is your sanity...

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: February 22, 2010, 01:29:50 PM »

I don't consider it a rip-off unless Nintendo broke your NES or your NES cartridge.  With the Wii for example you might not have enough storage space but Nintendo allows you to re-download titles you have already purchased.  It becomes a rip-off when Nintendo disables that service and thus you can no longer re-download the game you bought.  Allowing this to transfer to the new console prevents this "remote off switch" and that's why I would consider anything but that to be unacceptable.  But this is precisely why I don't trust downloads to being with.  With physical media no company can decide I was just "renting" their product and can disable it.

Super Mario Advance was a rip-off though since unlike the other GBA ports it was named in a way to suggest it was a new game.  Same with Animal Crossing: City Folk.  There was clear intention to deceive.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: February 22, 2010, 05:15:48 PM »
With physical media no company can decide I was just "renting" their product and can disable it.

Well, actually Circuit City once had these DVD things called "DivX" which you could only play for so long and then you got locked out, and if you wanted to play them again you had to pay. The concept was shot down by angry consumers almost immediately, and CC lost a lot of money from that. Nowadays I've seen they have something similar in the form of regular DVDs that have some dye or something in them that degrade 24 hours after the disc is opened and rendering it useless.

Now, considering games are produced on this same sort of optical media, I don't think its out of the question that companies like Sony/Nintendo/MS might start pulling something like this at some point.
is your sanity...

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: February 22, 2010, 05:18:12 PM »
That'll never happen. EVER.

And I think you're talking about the digital copy that comes with DVD's now a days.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: February 22, 2010, 05:37:02 PM »
Now, considering games are produced on this same sort of optical media, I don't think its out of the question that companies like Sony/Nintendo/MS might start pulling something like this at some point.

They won't if they want to stay in business.  Videogames are not a necessity.  No one has to put up with unreasonable bullshit with videogames so they won't.  If it becomes too expensive or too much of a hassle or whatever people will just stop buying games.  And there is also nothing preventing a new competitor from coming in without all the bullshit and taking all the market share.

It's funny that the music industry and such try to pull all this Gustapo crap when the entertainment industry have by FAR the least clout of any major industry.  We need clothes, we need shelter, we need food, we need transportation, we need medical treatment, we need energy.  Industries that provide us with these necessities have clout.  The entertainment industry truly has NONE.  Make it too big of a pain in the ass to get your product then we'll either steal it or go without.  No one needs videogames.

And the funny thing is the industry with the least clout also is the easiest to steal from.  It's hard to steal gas for your car but you can easily copy any videogame or movie or song.  They got nothing.  I DARE them to try bullshit like decaying DVDs.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #160 on: February 22, 2010, 06:04:54 PM »
Don't complain because you want a game without having to pay for it.

LOL

I'm glad you realize how wrong you were. You want something for free and are bitching that you can't get it.

Ian, those discs were not copies sold for keep. They were basically marketed as rental movies (and sold for like $5), they even said right on the box that they could only be played a certain amount of times before the disc stopped working.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: February 22, 2010, 07:04:58 PM »
i think that was the original idea for red-box like machines in Fry's and whatnot, but that im sure got out competed by redbox. It eventually becomes more expensive to replace degradable DVDs than it does to just recycle them from user to user. They were worried no-one would return their dvd, but is easier to tie your credit card to a rental to keep you from stealing, but geniuses like Kashogi will find a way around that even.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 07:09:23 PM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: February 22, 2010, 07:24:28 PM »
How most credit machines should work(if they already don't) is that they will place the charge on a hold status and won't activate the charge until a certain date.

basically a charge for $30 will show up on your statement, but it's only there to make sure you have $30 worth of room on the card. Lets say your rental is $2 but if you return your movie within the required days, then they charge will refund $28 and your actual bill will only show that you owed $2. If you're late then you get charged the full $30, but if you eventually return the movie then late charges apply and the remainder is refunded.

This will eliminate the ability to use credit gift/pre-paid cards that are either not valid or don't have a sufficient amount of credit on them.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 07:26:22 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: February 23, 2010, 01:30:59 AM »
That'll never happen. EVER.

And I think you're talking about the digital copy that comes with DVD's now a days.

Nope. There are DVDs you can get at Staples for just a few bucks and they are burned in a certain dye that deteriorates within 24 hours of when you open the disc.
is your sanity...

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: February 23, 2010, 01:34:01 AM »
if all dvds were 5 bucks i would constantly buy them. Blu-Ray take prominence soon so the price can go down!

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #165 on: February 23, 2010, 01:43:31 AM »
if all dvds were 5 bucks i would constantly buy them. Blu-Ray take prominence soon so the price can go down!

That isn't going to happen. Studios might stop making DVDs if the format starts to die out, but one thing they will never do is lower the price. Of course, the DVD format is in no danger of dying out within the next 5-10 years, so its a moot argument.
is your sanity...

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: February 23, 2010, 02:26:31 AM »
yes and no, DVD is really in no danger of dying like VHS did, but if Blu-ray grabs enough market share, retailers might mark them down. I do remember all the video stores and rental places selling all their tapes in mass when DVD took over, but your right. As much better as Blu-Ray is, its not as much better than DVD as DVD was better than VHS. Still, manufacturers can get more money out of Blu-Ray than they can DVD. So, what will likely happen is DVD versions will just get discontinued all together as br-players become more available. Whether the market wants this or not, an artificial pricing game can be played to force people into submission as time goes by. This would take about 5-10 years though, as you said.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: February 23, 2010, 02:31:57 AM »
blu-ray is just a small step. It'll never become the norm. Once SD cards become big enough and cheap enough. They will take over.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: February 23, 2010, 02:34:43 AM »

That isn't going to happen. Studios might stop making DVDs if the format starts to die out, but one thing they will never do is lower the price. Of course, the DVD format is in no danger of dying out within the next 5-10 years, so its a moot argument.

There are PLENTY of DVDs available for 5 bucks already, and there's sure to be plenty of movies to love in that mix. *Goes to level up his shopping skills*
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: February 23, 2010, 06:12:39 AM »
yes and no, DVD is really in no danger of dying like VHS did, but if Blu-ray grabs enough market share, retailers might mark them down. I do remember all the video stores and rental places selling all their tapes in mass when DVD took over, but your right. As much better as Blu-Ray is, its not as much better than DVD as DVD was better than VHS. Still, manufacturers can get more money out of Blu-Ray than they can DVD. So, what will likely happen is DVD versions will just get discontinued all together as br-players become more available. Whether the market wants this or not, an artificial pricing game can be played to force people into submission as time goes by. This would take about 5-10 years though, as you said.

Yeah, stores might discount old stuff to clear out inventory and make room for newer stuff. But that's just a one time thing. You have to be quick and jump on it when they start clearancing stuff off.

But then again, even if dead formats no longer exist in retail stores you can always get them cheaply enough at places like fleamarkets and at thrift stores. VHS is like that now. No one wants it, and you can't really even give it away to people, so it sells for real cheap. But of course, it is a dead format and nothing new is being made for it. The last VHS commercial release was Borat back in 2005 (according to wikipedia).

I don't think DVD will end up the same as VHS, though. DVD offered a huge leap over VHS in terms of quality of picture and not having to reward or have tapes wearing out or being eaten up by the player. Blu-ray is just an incremental upgrade over DVD. So it is better, yes, but its not better in a huge enough way that really makes people trip over themselves to upgrade to it. Plus its reverse compatible with BRD players, so its probably going to be around for a long long time to come.

Let's see... DVD came out in 1996 (I think) and the last VHS movie was in 2005. So that's 9 years I guess. I'm sure DVD will last at least that much longer, and probably more. Something will kill it someday, but whatever it is won't be BRD. It will probably be whatever comes next, like HVD or whatever. The next thing will also kill BRD off.
is your sanity...

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #170 on: February 23, 2010, 10:27:58 AM »
I think I just want Progress and moving forward with the ideas of the Wii with better technology and better interface.

I think the Wii had many amazing things with its design, but its interface could have been more robust...and I hope Nintendo thinks about the small things.  Voice Chat channel always running in the background would be nice...so all games have chat feature with friends.

The Store needs major upgrades and allow for you to bring your already bought digital games to the new console would be nice.  As for technology and graphics I don't care.  I know Nintendo will give me something wonderful for both...and that is enough for me.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: February 23, 2010, 10:51:28 AM »
I'd definitely want to see a way to carry over virtual console stuff, but I don't even think that should be a part of the discussion.  Really, everyone wants to be able to use whatever they purchased to as great an extent as possible.

We've had a thread like this before, and a lot of people actually said they'd like to see the use of solid state media, or basically anything that wasn't optical media, for a variety of reasons.  Some ideas were that non-optical media, like an SD card-based format, is more difficult to damage, and can easily contain game saves.  Personally, I think utilizing a secondary media drive would be useful in providing "lock-on" capabilities more often.  I loved that aspect of Sonic & Knuckles, and I really think providing games on both a primary and secondary format would encourage expansion titles, in a method similar to DLC, but make retail releases much more possible and visible to all consumers.  I know that a second disc could be released, like with Super Street Fighter IV, but still, I think this method would encourage an expansion system.

That said, a lot of people also want more built-in storage, or a simple way to increase storage on the console.  I know if someone told me they could safely and quickly switch out the half-gig NAND on the Wii for something that could hold 8, or even four gigs for a reasonable price, without causing me to switch to over-complicated homebrew, I definitely would take it.  I'm literally nearly out of space with JUST game saves, VC saves, and VC game suspensions.  That's after I removed all the Wii-Ware and VC games, themselves, off my Wii.  Running out of space will soon grow to be a scary thing, and soon, I'll be forced to switch to an alternative, anyways, unless I want to lose gamesaves.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: February 23, 2010, 11:46:22 AM »
I'd definitely want to see a way to carry over virtual console stuff, but I don't even think that should be a part of the discussion.  Really, everyone wants to be able to use whatever they purchased to as great an extent as possible.

We've had a thread like this before, and a lot of people actually said they'd like to see the use of solid state media, or basically anything that wasn't optical media, for a variety of reasons.  Some ideas were that non-optical media, like an SD card-based format, is more difficult to damage, and can easily contain game saves.  Personally, I think utilizing a secondary media drive would be useful in providing "lock-on" capabilities more often.  I loved that aspect of Sonic & Knuckles, and I really think providing games on both a primary and secondary format would encourage expansion titles, in a method similar to DLC, but make retail releases much more possible and visible to all consumers.  I know that a second disc could be released, like with Super Street Fighter IV, but still, I think this method would encourage an expansion system.

That said, a lot of people also want more built-in storage, or a simple way to increase storage on the console.  I know if someone told me they could safely and quickly switch out the half-gig NAND on the Wii for something that could hold 8, or even four gigs for a reasonable price, without causing me to switch to over-complicated homebrew, I definitely would take it.  I'm literally nearly out of space with JUST game saves, VC saves, and VC game suspensions.  That's after I removed all the Wii-Ware and VC games, themselves, off my Wii.  Running out of space will soon grow to be a scary thing, and soon, I'll be forced to switch to an alternative, anyways, unless I want to lose gamesaves.

Do you not play your games off of the SD card. It saves a lot of memory for your wii. How many games do you have?
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #173 on: February 23, 2010, 11:53:48 AM »

Do you not play your games off of the SD card. It saves a lot of memory for your wii. How many games do you have?
That said, a lot of people also want more built-in storage, or a simple way to increase storage on the console.  I know if someone told me they could safely and quickly switch out the half-gig NAND on the Wii for something that could hold 8, or even four gigs for a reasonable price, without causing me to switch to over-complicated homebrew, I definitely would take it.  I'm literally nearly out of space with JUST game saves, VC saves, and VC game suspensions.  That's after I removed all the Wii-Ware and VC games, themselves, off my Wii.
He addressed your concern before you even stated it. and if he is out of space with just channels, VC saves and save-states, I'm gonna guess that he owns quite a few VC/WiiWare games.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: February 23, 2010, 02:21:34 PM »
I'm literally nearly out of space with JUST game saves, VC saves, and VC game suspensions.  That's after I removed all the Wii-Ware and VC games, themselves, off my Wii.
I think that might be impossible.  Game saves aren't that big.  Unless you have dozens of copies of large game saves (e.g. Madden) you shouldn't be anywhere near maxing out the space.

You know you can run a lot of the channels off your SD card, right?  I'm talking about Everybody Votes, Check Mii Out, the Nintendo Channel, etc.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!