Poll

Which TG-16/CD game should RFN crew and listeners play and discuss?

Bonk's Revenge
11 (27.5%)
Ninja Spirit
13 (32.5%)
Military Madness
2 (5%)
Cho-Aniki
12 (30%)
Chew Man Fu
2 (5%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Voting closed: July 02, 2009, 12:44:25 PM

Author Topic: RetroActive #7 Poll - TurboGrafx Edition!  (Read 26920 times)

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
RetroActive #7 Poll - TurboGrafx Edition!
« on: June 21, 2009, 08:32:16 PM »
All of these games are available on Virtual Console, with prices ranging from 600 to 900 Wii Points. All were nominated by RFN listeners in the RetroActive game nomination thread! Voting results will be hidden until the poll ends on the morning of Thursday, July 2.

Please use this thread to lobby for your favorite game or to learn more about the games, if you are undecided.

Note: Both Ninja Spirit and Cho-Aniki have appeared in two previous polls. A "three strikes and you're out" policy will be applied for these games, win or lose, after this poll, meaning they will not be eligible for any future RetroActive polls in the foreseeable future.

Bonk's Revenge is a 2D platformer, the sequel to Bonk's Adventure. (600 points) Video

Ninja Spirit is a 2D action game. (600 points) Video

Military Madness is a turn-based strategy game with hex-based maps. Hudson is currently developing a follow-up to this game for the WiiWare platform. (600 points) Video

Cho-Aniki is a horizontal shoot-em-up with CD-based music. (900 points) Video

Chew Man Fu is a top-down, character-based puzzle/action game, similar to the Lolo series. (600 points) Video
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 08:38:57 PM by Jonnyboy117 »
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
Re: RetroActive #7 Poll - TurboGrafx Edition!
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2009, 09:07:35 PM »
no Neutopia or Super Star Solider ??
 >:( >:( :-\
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 09:10:12 PM by Mr. Adolph Vega »

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 09:17:13 PM »
OHBOYOHBOYOHBOYNINJASPIRITNINJASPIRITNINJASPIRIT

I'll honestly be happy with any of these games, but I gotta go with Ninja Spirit.  It's something I've been meaning to play for the past year but just haven't gotten around to it.

Since I'm the one who nominated Ninja Spirit, I feel I should talk it up at least a bit.  ;)  Here's my original pitch:

I'd like to nominate Ninja Spirit.  It's a platformer for the TG-16 meaning it's perfect because no one's ever played it before.  ;D  It's fairly similar to Ninja Gaiden, but much more playable from what I hear (read:  it doesn't have a batshit insane difficulty level).

It has been recommended by Jeremy Parish as well as our own Steven Rodriguez.

Fun fact:  It was the first game to ever receive a perfect 10 from EGM.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2009, 09:17:49 PM »
I would have loved Super Star Solider in it, but since it's not:

GO CHO ANIKI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ninja Spirit did not get a perfect 10 from EGM. Only 14 games have gotten that honor:

Metal Gear Solid
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Soulcalibur
Gran Turismo 2
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2
Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec
Halo: Combat Evolved
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
Metroid Prime
Halo 2
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
BioShock
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 09:27:02 PM by TJ Spyke »
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline adadad

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2009, 09:54:22 PM »

I'd like to nominate Ninja Spirit.  It's a platformer for the TG-16 meaning it's perfect because no one's ever played it before.  ;D  It's fairly similar to Ninja Gaiden, but much more playable from what I hear (read:  it doesn't have a bat**** insane difficulty level).

It may not have the difficulty in the main gameplay but that falling through the sky with the ninjas coming up at you...jesus christ. I must've tried that 50 times before looking it up on the internet and finding out how to get into the perfect position to not get hurt. Talk about money guzzling arcade games, that bit is cheaper than chips.

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2009, 10:49:55 PM »
Ninja Spirit did not get a perfect 10 from EGM. Only 14 games have gotten that honor:

Wrong.  Your list reflects "Platinum" awards (i.e. a 10 out of 10).  However, the Platinum awards didn't exist until the late 90s.  Do you really think that no game prior to 1998 earned a 10 even though the magazine had been around since 1989?
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2009, 11:27:25 PM »
It's certainly possible. PC Gamer has been around since 1993 and have never given a game a perfect score, Game Revolution since 1996 and also no perfect scores. GameSpot has only given out 4 perfect scores.

Are you sure you aren't thinking Ninja Spirit got 10 from 1 reviewer? A game does not count as having a perfect score if only some of its reviewers give it a 10 (i.e if 2 reviewers give a game a 10 and another gives it a 9, the game does not have a perfect score).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2009, 12:03:50 AM »
If games cannot be perfect, then review scores DEFINITELY can't be perfect. All of my reviews and scores are extremely imperfect. ;-)
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2009, 12:34:13 AM »
Ninja Spirit is terrible from what I played, it is pretty much run forward and hit the same enemies with some of the lamest boss battles ever.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2009, 08:28:59 AM »
This is going to be a war between Cho Aniki fans and Ninja Spirit fans.

MAN BEAMS A GO GO, BABY!!!! GO CHO ANIKI! RAH RAH!
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline NovaQ

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
    • dudeldopp
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2009, 08:38:05 AM »
Ninja Spirit. It's got to be Ninja Spirit.
I like to do drawings.
Blaarg
Wii: 7332 2646 9948 9927

Hello new job, goodbye life...

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2009, 10:43:16 AM »
We might almost need to TG-16 polls. I love Lords of Thunder way to much for this. It's one of my most played downloaded anythings on Wii.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2009, 03:38:32 PM »
Chew Man Fu may have an awful title but it's my favorite TG-16 VC game and is one of the best games I've bought on the VC that I'd never previously played, and that list includes two games that are now in my personal all-time top ten. I know it has no chance, but I voted for it.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline NWR_Karl

• Red Velvet
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2009, 03:40:34 PM »
Anyone who doesn't choose Ninja Spirit is in league with global terrorism.
----
Karl Castaneda
Associated Raconteur

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2009, 03:42:34 PM »
Anyone who doesn't choose Ninja Spirit is in league with global bearrorism.

fixed.
Your conversational partner has disconnected.

Offline NWR_Karl

• Red Velvet
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2009, 03:48:07 PM »
It's a very real threat that needs to be taken seriously.
----
Karl Castaneda
Associated Raconteur

Offline gojira

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2009, 05:56:07 PM »
I voted for Ninja Spirit.  It's been a game that has very much drawn my attention since I saw a review of it on Retroware TV.  The game having elements of Metal Storm definitely helped my interest. 

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2009, 10:03:38 PM »
I'm leaning towards Ninja Spirit or Bonk's Revenge, but I think Chew Man Fu looks really good too. I already have Cho Aniki but don't think there's much real (serious) discussion to have over that one -- it's included because so many people voted for it previously. I thought there might be Iran-level protests if I left it out of the poll.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2009, 10:28:07 PM »
I don't have a Turbo-Graphix-16 so I'll have to skip this RetroActive. See you all next time!

I'm actually not finished with the last RetroActive. Don't lock it yet!

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2009, 11:19:15 PM »
I thought there might be Iran-level protests if I left it out of the poll.

Political discuss is not allowed on the forums.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2009, 08:28:26 PM »
Wow. I was dead set on voting Ninja Spirit until I saw that Military Madness was on there. I am very curious about that game.

What to choose, what to choose...
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2009, 11:39:51 PM »
Ah, the TG-16...now you're stepping into my territory.

Firstly, yes, Ninja Spirit did receive a 10.  I actually have/had that issue of EGM, now that I think about it.  I may have tossed them all, but I used to have crazy issues of GamePro/EGM back in the day.  Ninja Spirit was a virtual replica of the arcade game, which was highly sought-after back in the day.

Bonk's Revenge is a really good platformer, Ninja Spirit is a bad-ass action platformer but hard as hell, Military Madness is a cool little strategy game (kind of a dumbed-down Advance Wars), Cho-Aniki is legendary, and Chew Man Fu is ass.

Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2009, 11:46:52 PM »
Are you voting, Lindy?

I still can't decide. I'm leaning towards Ninja Spirit because I was a big supporter of it last time. I'm also thinking that Ninja might be a better game for disscussion purposes. Military Madness is more of a personal choice because I love those types of strategy games. I may just get both when I D/L the one for the feature.
My Game Collection

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2009, 11:51:11 PM »
I would really like to play Military Madness, but a strategy game just doesn't have a good chance of winning a RetroActive Poll.  It's the least-known of the games (except maybe for Chu Man Fu) and it's a niche genre.  Your vote will be more appreciated if you go with Ninja Spirit.  ;D

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2009, 11:58:17 PM »
I would really like to play Military Madness, but a strategy game just doesn't have a good chance of winning a RetroActive Poll.  It's the least-known of the games (except maybe for Chu Man Fu) and it's a niche genre.  Your vote will be more appreciated if you go with Ninja Spirit.  ;D

It's not a matter of what will win for me. I weigh what I actually want to play, what I am most curious about and also which game would spur our conversation and the crews discussion best.

In that regard, I think Cho-Aniki already has had any compelling and relevant conversation on multiple podcasts. So that is out in my mind. All we'd get from that game would be inuendo and jokes. Though I could be proven wrong.
My Game Collection