Author Topic: Speculate new game ideas for mobile platform  (Read 5851 times)

Speculate new game ideas for mobile platform
« on: March 18, 2015, 06:04:27 PM »
Its still a new announcement but why not. Post your ideas for game ideas you would like to see.

I do not play games on my phone so I have no idea what that market is even like so I am going in blind here.

What I am imagining would be like the mini games they used to have in DS games like the Mario games had. Maybe a Wario Ware type game not a straight port but a collection of the most "mobile" friendly mini games or something like that?

I am thinking some stuff along the lines of NES Remix would be doable but they would have to do more than just pick out challenges from the existing games they would have to really tweak them for touch controls.

A new Mario vs. DK similar to the one they just released would be fine too.

Any other ideas?

All I read about online are endless jumpers and candy crush clones. I don't really know what either of those mean so have no comment but they do not sound fun to me.

Make a virtual Nintendo land theme park or something where you can store all your trophies and achievements from past games in one place in a virtual world similar to Animal crossing or PS Home something like that?

A new touch Dr. Mario game would be fine too.

How about a simple Zelda dungeon crawler done in NES style graphics but you use only the touch screen and the game puzzles are all touch related? I am not sure how this would work but it would be interesting to see them come up with something.

There will need to be a "New Super Mario Touch" or something that is tailored for this device that sells you on the Mario game play, or reminds you how awesome it is, and entices you to try out the real deal latter maybe?

In App purchases that tie to your unified account connected to your console and DS device is also mandatory I would think.

They could do a really neat Ice Climbers game that goes on forever.

I am out of ideas at the moment who else wants to speculate? Also would we move discussion of these games, platforms into the hand held forum or is it okay to leave here? This is going to be an interesting few months.
Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Re: Speculate new game ideas for mobile platform
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 06:24:16 PM »
They need to do another Elite Beat Agents. Those games were built around touch control, and could easily be packaged in a way conducive to the low price points on mobile.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 06:35:00 PM »
Endless runner starring Rambi.

* Shaymin kicks back and awaits the billion dollar royalty check
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Dan Laser

• Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 08:55:56 PM »
Game Boy Camera App!!

Offline famicomplicated

• The OG Japan Correspondent
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2015, 09:06:01 PM »
Off the top of my head:

1) A Pokemon trozei type game, but with IAPs.
2) Some really short baseball minigames, IAPs to unlock more.
3) A cut down version of a 3DS game, but make it online, IAPs to unlock skins
4) Puzzle and Dragons, but just add a Mario skin
I am your (Fami)father.
Follow me on Twitter for some #hypertrollGET fun.
Troll with love, not hate.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2015, 09:33:08 PM »
A Mario game!
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2015, 10:10:33 PM »
I think the problem is that everyone is trying to compare it to games Nintendo already makes or popular games on mobile devices. If Nintendo is going to be successful in this market, it has to do what Nintendo has always done and think outside the box. Give people something no other company else is giving them. It's easier said than done, but Nintendo has been doing that for decades so if any company is equipped to do so, it's Nintendo.

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2015, 10:18:04 PM »

Go to the App Store, Search Disney, Replace Mickey with Mario and Minnie with Peach, Pete with Bowser and that about it.

Other than that, I expect a bunch of "Smash Bros. Presents: Tower Defense" and "Mario Solitaire".

*Blind Hope Entry*Tetrisphere HD and AR. Why has this not happened yet? Not even a knock-off game or any bootleg concept.
  "Who is responsible for this! I... demand you show yourself!"

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2015, 04:13:27 PM »
mario is missing

warioware

metroid pinball
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2015, 04:30:35 PM »
A new 3D Mario platformer that uses touch screen controls for intricate platforming, gyro for camera control, and IAP for power-ups!

Nah, I'm really excited about the prospects of Nintendo doing mobile games, and I don't think it'd be like what I said at all.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2015, 01:44:13 AM »
mario teaches texting

Endless runner starring Rambi.

* Shaymin kicks back and awaits the billion dollar royalty check

<3 it
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Kwolf

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2015, 03:00:54 PM »
Of the top of my head, an animal crossing match 3 type game. 

Basically you just have a house, there is no real world.    The game play is playing a simple match 3 type game.  You unlock some kinda currency to get house upgrades and items for your house.

Can have special daily goals or what not, to earn extra currency or special items.    Perhaps there are only a couple items available to "buy" for your house each day, to keep you checking daily.

A bit cliche, but match 3 games work well, combining it collecting of animal crossing might be appealing.

Offline rlse9

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2015, 03:56:27 PM »
Of the top of my head, an animal crossing match 3 type game. 

Basically you just have a house, there is no real world.    The game play is playing a simple match 3 type game.  You unlock some kinda currency to get house upgrades and items for your house.

Can have special daily goals or what not, to earn extra currency or special items.    Perhaps there are only a couple items available to "buy" for your house each day, to keep you checking daily.

A bit cliche, but match 3 games work well, combining it collecting of animal crossing might be appealing.

This could be interesting if they made it so that the game communicated with the console version of Animal Crossing and bells and furniture that you earn in the mobile game can be used in the console game.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2015, 02:09:23 AM »
This is honestly the last thing I want to talk about in regards to Nintendo and depresses me greatly.

Just saying.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2015, 02:18:57 AM »
I dunno, unless they're not being truthful about the extent of it it seems like a net positive for us. None of their current resources are being diverted away from traditional games, and they're gaining talent that could significantly improve their online infrastructure.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2015, 05:57:04 AM »
I dunno, unless they're not being truthful about the extent of it it seems like a net positive for us. None of their current resources are being diverted away from traditional games, and they're gaining talent that could significantly improve their online infrastructure.
Except they said their mobile games will be worked on by Nintendo devs, which means "Check out this new title... FOR iOS!" is going to become a thing in future Nintendo Directs.

I am happy about the online infrastructure, and I think that was a wise choice. But I don't want to imagine a world where people are trying to get excited about a Nintendo mobile release.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2015, 06:57:08 AM »
I don't think people are getting excited for them (not here at least, I've seen a bunch of iPhone sites ecstatic about it) as much as just curious. We enjoy baseless speculation, and this is great fodder for that.

J.P. Corbran

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2015, 09:21:48 AM »
Plus there isn't a whole lot else to talk about at the moment. But I have a few other ideas for topics that might be more interesting.
Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2015, 01:13:28 PM »
Obligatory Mario Paint suggestion. 

In all seriousness though, I'd guess Art Academy has a lot more cache as a brand at this point than Mario paint, so I'd wager a game from this series makes sense, at least for tablets.  Have some basic colors/paintbrush types, a few introductory pictures, and then a free paint mode.  Offer extra paint tools & new paintings for extra.

Those Mario Vs. Donkey Kong games are perfect for mobile, although i'd guess they'd do that as a "free" app with a few starter levels, and then offer "level packs".

Brain Age also seems like an obvious choice for mobile, and I don't recall seeing anything from that series for a long time.   

I'm waiting now for them to produce a game similar to Simpsons: Tapped-out.  They could just have you create your own Mii character, and have you build your own city with themed buildings/characters from the various Nintendo properties.  I'm sure a bunch of people grimace at the thought if you played these games, as they're filled with gated items that you can only feasibly get by paying money to get the premium currency, but they gotta reel in the whales somehow.

What i'm really curious about is if there's opportunity for there to be cross-over, cross-play, or cross-buy potential for some of these, because I'd be surprised if some of these games didn't also end up with a 3DS version at some point.  I'm guessing not though, I'm fairly pessimistic about Nintendo's current ability, much less interest in doing so.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2015, 10:45:36 PM »
Pokemon Puzzle League
Brain Age
Mario Endless Runner
Zelda Mini Dungeons (Randomly created Dungeon crawler game. Creates 8 random levels that require you to use items to solve puzzles and beat a boss.)
Donkey Kong, King of Swing (Endless Runner Type game on Vines and Barrels)
Mobile Mario Kart
Wii Play Mobile

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2015, 01:19:10 PM »
Instead of it being a "phone" with "video games" it should just have an alarm and Tamagotchi. "Another blue ocean success!" --Iwata
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.