Author Topic: Um, Apple thread  (Read 249350 times)

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
Re: Um, Apple thread
« Reply #650 on: October 26, 2019, 09:41:06 AM »
I dont like how often im triggering the swipe keyboard
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #651 on: October 26, 2019, 12:58:08 PM »
I prefer swipe keyboards, and use gboard. I didn't realize that apple added swipe to the default keyboard. That's a big plus for me since time and again I have issues with gboard either not loading when it should be or not being an option at random times.

I'm also typing this on a touch screen keyboard that I just realized has it too. I was actually struggling to type until I just tried it. It's this a common feature now ?
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: October 26, 2019, 09:11:51 PM »
Or you can be an old fogey like me and rock a physical keyboard in 2019.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #653 on: October 27, 2019, 01:35:49 PM »
Honestly, I like swipe more than I liked physical keyboards I felt like my thumbs bumped into each other, and it's easier to type one handed with swipe.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #654 on: October 27, 2019, 02:23:13 PM »

Where's the fun in that when you can take your chances with a London-based startup because it's literally the only slider to come out in almost four years.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #655 on: October 28, 2019, 12:19:15 AM »
Touché. Putting all your faith in startups is the most exciting way to live. Just ask SoftBank.

Though I'm honestly surprised the demand is that low.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #656 on: October 28, 2019, 12:47:30 AM »
There is still interest, it's just that attempts to cater to that demand have either been halfhearted (see phones like the LG mach) or incompetently handled (The Blackberry Priv falls in that category).

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: October 29, 2019, 09:54:48 AM »
AirPods Pro shipping 10/30 for $249.

For BNM

I recently lost my last Bluetooth headphones from SoundPEATS and bought a new pair from Anker. I spent about $40 on them (vs $22 for the old pair). They get the job done. There’s just no f-ing way I’m dropping $249 on headphones considering my clumsiness and propensity for losing things.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #658 on: October 29, 2019, 01:20:08 PM »
Yeah, unless it's some $20 thing that i can take with me, I want a full headset. It's less likely to get lost, it probably has better sound quality than the airpods*, and I can get features like an option for a 3.5mm connection that Apple can only dream of.

*This of course is ignoring the possibility that Apple is really digging into some dark magic when it comes to sound quality on the airpods.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2019, 01:21:57 PM by pokepal148 »

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: October 29, 2019, 02:43:19 PM »
Yeah, unless it's some $20 thing that i can take with me, I want a full headset.
I get it, and I do have decent noise canceling, over the ear headphones that I use at home (TaoTronics, on sale for $40). For the gym, I’m not going to be that guy.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #660 on: October 29, 2019, 02:47:00 PM »
I like my current airpods. Haven't lost them yet. But $250 is just way too much. The sound quality in the current model is ok, and the main feature they're touting is the noise cancellation and waterproofing? I'd need more emphasis on sound quality from the marketing. Also marketing above "it's available now!".

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: December 13, 2019, 09:19:26 PM »
I have an Apple power adapter and Lightning to USB-C cable. I was charging my iPhone then unplugged the cable and immediately plugged it into my iPad. The following message pop-up appears on my IPad:

“This accessory may not be supported.â€

I eventually got it to work. That’s... really f-ing stupid though.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #662 on: December 15, 2019, 11:48:00 AM »
Yeah, the plugs and cables are all universal. . .until they're not.  There could be some dust and debris in the port though.  That happened to one of phones before and I just had to clean it out.

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: January 19, 2020, 03:59:02 PM »
Due to a combination of some leftover Christmas money and an Amazon sale, I finally broke down and bought AirPods. So far I like them, particularly how well they're integrated with the system. I'd had some cheap generic bluetooth headphones before and I love how these just automatically kick in when I put them in.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Online NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: September 16, 2020, 03:16:43 AM »
I just ordered an Apple Watch Series 6 after the event today, although I should have done it earlier in the day because it's not scheduled to arrive until the 30th. I'm currently using a Series 3, so this should be a big upgrade for me. I'm definitely looking forward to the always-on display they introduced in last year's model.

J.P. Corbran

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #665 on: September 17, 2020, 05:32:41 AM »
I'm interested in upgrading, but not really compelled to just yet.  However, with iOS 14, I was forced to upgrade my WatchOS which I couldn't do prior because there wasn't enough space on it.  Deleting all the apps that I could didn't help.  So, I had to do a factory reset.  It's updating now.

Online NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: September 17, 2020, 06:09:06 AM »
I’m having the same issue with mine. It says it’s full even though the apps only seem to be taking up a small amount of space. I’d do the reset but I figure I can just hold out a couple weeks and get the update with the new hardware.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: September 17, 2020, 10:30:15 PM »
Pretty sure I'm getting the Apple Watch this year despite the main reason I wanted one was for the gym, and there's no way I'm going back to the gym any time soon (i.e. enclosed space full of recycled air, mofos not wearing masks). I want my Apple Watch upgrades to coincide with the iPhone which is usually every two years. I didn't pre-order the Apple Watch. I'll just pick it up when I buy the iPhone 12 Pro Max (or whatever it's called).

I'm mentally preparing for iPhone to still have a Lightning port even though iPad Air now has USB-C.

Does anyone use Apple's service apps? I don't really care about iCloud or Apple Arcade, but Apple One might be something to explore because Apple News+ and Apple Fitness+ interest me. I currently use Spotify and have been considering updating to Premium for quite a while now. It doesn't matter to me how I get my music so I could move to Apple Music. At that point, I'd be getting the other apps in the Premier bundle.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 10:53:22 PM by Adrock »

Online NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: September 18, 2020, 02:06:56 AM »
I use Apple Music, which I like a lot. I've bounced between several different music streaming services over the years, but I think I like Apple Music best, especially with how well it integrates with Apple devices.

J.P. Corbran

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #669 on: September 20, 2020, 04:04:47 PM »
I use Apple Music as well.  iTunes housed all my music in the before time, and it's pretty much all moved with me since.  Like Insanolord, I like that it integrates with all my apple devices (specifically the Apple TV and Homepod).  I don't want to listen to commercials when I listen to music, so free options like Spotify and Pandora don't interest me.

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #670 on: September 21, 2020, 08:18:19 AM »
Pretty sure I'm getting the Apple Watch this year despite the main reason I wanted one was for the gym, and there's no way I'm going back to the gym any time soon (i.e. enclosed space full of recycled air, mofos not wearing masks). I want my Apple Watch upgrades to coincide with the iPhone which is usually every two years. I didn't pre-order the Apple Watch. I'll just pick it up when I buy the iPhone 12 Pro Max (or whatever it's called).

I'm mentally preparing for iPhone to still have a Lightning port even though iPad Air now has USB-C.

Does anyone use Apple's service apps? I don't really care about iCloud or Apple Arcade, but Apple One might be something to explore because Apple News+ and Apple Fitness+ interest me. I currently use Spotify and have been considering updating to Premium for quite a while now. It doesn't matter to me how I get my music so I could move to Apple Music. At that point, I'd be getting the other apps in the Premier bundle.
Well good news is that you'll get 3 months of Fitness+ with your Apple Watch so that should give you a good idea if it's worth bundling with everything else.
Apple Music is great, I can't speak to the otehr ones but there are a few nice games on Apple Arcade that would cost a fair bit to buy individually on Switch, I've only heard bad things about Apple News+.
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Online NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: September 25, 2020, 11:36:35 PM »
My watch got here today, and my first impression is I'm surprised by how much bigger the screen seems. In one of the last few models they moved from 38 mm and 42 mm to 40 mm and 44 mm, with the body staying the same size but the screen covering more of the face with less of a bezel. 2 mm doesn't seem like a lot, but it feels like a big jump.

J.P. Corbran

Online NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: October 16, 2020, 08:44:42 AM »
And after trying and trying to get an Xbox Series X preorder and coming up short, I got my iPhone 12 Pro preordered quickly and painlessly. Yet again, Apple > Microsoft.

J.P. Corbran

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #673 on: October 18, 2020, 01:32:47 AM »
The color palette and the lack of a plug really turned me off during the iPhone 12 reveal. The color more than anything since I already wasn't leaning towards buying one anyway.

Online NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: October 18, 2020, 02:57:12 AM »
I was still on an iPhone X, so I was pretty set on getting one this year. Never cared much about the colors and I've got a thousand of those little power adapter blocks.

J.P. Corbran