Author Topic: Um, Apple thread  (Read 249295 times)

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
Re: Um, Apple thread
« Reply #675 on: October 19, 2020, 11:22:26 PM »
Do you have the type-c blocks?  I literally have none, except for one of those covert Switch docks.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: October 19, 2020, 11:40:21 PM »
That's true, all my various things use regular USB. Most of my devices are usually plugged into larger setups that don't have USB C ports on them, though, so I doubt I'll be using the cable that comes with the phone anytime soon.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #677 on: October 20, 2020, 12:41:24 AM »
Yeah, that's kind of the annoying part of the whole thing.  Apple removing 2 accessories because they presume you have plenty of them and it's better for the environment.  But then they package an accessory that you can't use.  If you want to use it, you need to buy a separate plug, which will probably waste more packaging that Apple will save, so the environment suffers.  It also puts an unnecessary hurdle between the consumer and a marketed feature of the device: fast charging.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: October 20, 2020, 12:59:41 AM »
I think they're trying to push people toward the MagSafe wireless charging thing. I'd definitely be interested in fast charging, since I've loved having that on my new Apple Watch, but that allows it even with a regular USB plug, which it comes with.

J.P. Corbran

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #679 on: October 20, 2020, 01:14:07 AM »
I thought the fast charge needed a higher output than the standard bricks provide.  Also, I thought I saw the MagSafe charger Apple is selling uses type-c and not type-a.

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #680 on: October 20, 2020, 01:56:13 AM »
I should inform this thread that I bought myself the latest and final intel iMac 27inch. I got the stock CPU/GPU but with 1TB SSD and 16GB of RAM.
Overall I'm really pleased with it. I know these 5k screens have been around for quite some time now but it truly is incredible having all these screen real estate. On the other hand, I haven't used a desktop Mac regularly since... well since the old CRT iMacs really. In that time I had forgotten how fucking horrible APple's mice are. I've bought a white Razor DeathAdder to plug in instead but I'm wishing I had ordered one of those oversize trackpads instead.

It also means I now have a USB-c out port in case I ever bought a new iPhone but Dad just rang to say he wants to get a 12 Mini and is offering me his SE2 so I'll probably just take that since it's only a few months old.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 01:58:09 AM by RABicle »
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: October 20, 2020, 04:28:07 AM »
I'd really like to get a new MacBook Pro before they move away from Intel but I'm not sure I'll have the money for it. I've got a 2014 model right now, and it's still pretty good since it was the absolute best one you could buy at the time, but it's showing its age in places.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: October 20, 2020, 10:00:06 PM »
I don't really need to upgrade my iPhone this year, but I skipped last year too. I'm primarily concerned about battery life as my iPhone 8 needs to be charged a couple times a day now. At the same time, I'm mostly at home and not returning to the office until sometime next year so it isn't as if I'm often far from an outlet. I've also noticed some lag when texting (sometimes takes a second or two for words to appear). I couldn't give fewer fucks about 5G. 120Hz refresh rate would have been nice this year, but I only notice it on my iPad Pro when I'm paying attention. I think it's mostly for the Apple Pencil anyway which I don't use or have.

I've been trying to figure out which case to buy. I'm between Apple's silicone case, Mous Limitless 3.0, and Caudabe Sheath. I'm leaning toward the Limitless 3.0. I'm open to recommendations. I used an Anker Karapax on iPhone 8. It seems Anker has been out of the phone case/screen protector game since 2017.

Yeah, that's kind of the annoying part of the whole thing.  Apple removing 2 accessories because they presume you have plenty of them and it's better for the environment.  But then they package an accessory that you can't use.  If you want to use it, you need to buy a separate plug, which will probably waste more packaging that Apple will save, so the environment suffers.  It also puts an unnecessary hurdle between the consumer and a marketed feature of the device: fast charging.
Full disclosure: I fall into the category of people who don't need an included power adapter. I bought Apple's USB-C 29w power adapter in 2017 for the iPad Pro which also came with a USB-A 12w power adapter. I previously bought a 12w power adapter in 2015 for my iPhone 6S.

That said, I'm still of the mindset that an at least 18w power adapter should have been included with the entire iPhone 12 line this year. I have no doubt Apple actually cares about the environment (though, to be fair, it also likes to brag about caring about the environment). However, as you alluded to, Apple had been encouraging people to buy a higher wattage power adapter for years. As of last year, Apple included a 5w power adapter with every iPhone since forever except the iPhone 11 Pro and iPhone 11 Pro Max which included an 18w power adapter. On a 5w power adapter, the iPhone 11 Pro Max apparently takes about three and a half hours to charge.

Apple not including a power adapter with the iPhone 12 line is almost defensible. Everyone upgrading from a previous generation iPhone already has a method to charge an iPhone. The included Lightning-to-USB-C cable is there mostly for anyone new to the ecosystem. Chances are, most people have access to at least one USB-C port. No one needs a power adapter; it's just infinitely more convenient. Still, if removing the power adapter was the plan, it really should have been a three to four year plan that started with including a higher wattage power adapter for a few generations and switching to USB-C years ago. I know, I've been thumping that card for years. Apple could have helped standardize USB-C in like 2015, and I'm still salty about it.

Anti-Apple folk have been quick to point out greed. Maybe? That's hardly exclusive to Apple. Samsung is trolling Apple again but will probably drop the power adapter in the next year or two. The real savings are in shipping as the boxes are like half the height now. I don't think Lightning licensing fees are really a primary motivator here. First, Apple has actually reduced the cost of licensing fees over the years. Second, Apple's endgame here seems to be to nix Lightning altogether and going port-less which would partially explain its refusal to embrace USB-C. The iPad gets USB-C because it's supposed to be a computer. Fine. Maybe that three to four year plan starts now to ultimately phase out Lightning, giving Apple's hardware engineers a little more internal space to work with.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #683 on: October 21, 2020, 12:14:11 AM »
Full disclosure: I fall into the category of people who don't need an included power adapter. I bought Apple's USB-C 29w power adapter in 2017 for the iPad Pro which also came with a USB-A 12w power adapter. I previously bought a 12w power adapter in 2015 for my iPhone 6S.

That said, I'm still of the mindset that an at least 18w power adapter should have been included with the entire iPhone 12 line this year. I have no doubt Apple actually cares about the environment (though, to be fair, it also likes to brag about caring about the environment). However, as you alluded to, Apple had been encouraging people to buy a higher wattage power adapter for years. As of last year, Apple included a 5w power adapter with every iPhone since forever except the iPhone 11 Pro and iPhone 11 Pro Max which included an 18w power adapter. On a 5w power adapter, the iPhone 11 Pro Max apparently takes about three and a half hours to charge.

Their "encourage people to buy" was problematic when they could've had the better brick in the box with the 2018 iPhones (or earlier), but chose not to.  3.5 hours is pretty quick, but it's kind of a pain to know that would always be better if you spend more than you already have after you've spent ~$1000.

Apple not including a power adapter with the iPhone 12 line is almost defensible. Everyone upgrading from a previous generation iPhone already has a method to charge an iPhone. The included Lightning-to-USB-C cable is there mostly for anyone new to the ecosystem. Chances are, most people have access to at least one USB-C port. No one needs a power adapter; it's just infinitely more convenient.

Having a way to charge your iPhone is fine, but I still don't have the best way to charge my iPhone, not out of the box.  I personally don't have ay free type-c ports.  My laptop has one, and I use it to connect to a dock, which doesn't have any.  My only other type-c plug is a Switch travel adapter.  I've never had a reason to invest in having them either.  Heck, I just bought some surge protectors with type-a ports on them.

It's certainly not a "need" but it would've been great for Apple to include one.  That way, I could buy a MagSafe charger or any other new charging accessory without needing to buy a plug.  Which, I'd need to do.

Still, if removing the power adapter was the plan, it really should have been a three to four year plan that started with including a higher wattage power adapter for a few generations and switching to USB-C years ago. I know, I've been thumping that card for years. Apple could have helped standardize USB-C in like 2015, and I'm still salty about it.

I agree that it should've been a multi-year plan and that the plan should've started years ago. I'm also salty about Apple not supporting type-c in 2015.  I could've replaced some of my type-a plugs gradually, but now that'll be something I end up putting off until absolutely necessary.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: October 21, 2020, 12:17:14 AM »
I don't really need to upgrade my iPhone this year, but I skipped last year too. I'm primarily concerned about battery life as my iPhone 8 needs to be charged a couple times a day now. At the same time, I'm mostly at home and not returning to the office until sometime next year so it isn't as if I'm often far from an outlet. I've also noticed some lag when texting (sometimes takes a second or two for words to appear). I couldn't give fewer fucks about 5G. 120Hz refresh rate would have been nice this year, but I only notice it on my iPad Pro when I'm paying attention. I think it's mostly for the Apple Pencil anyway which I don't use or have.

I've been trying to figure out which case to buy. I'm between Apple's silicone case, Mous Limitless 3.0, and Caudabe Sheath. I'm leaning toward the Limitless 3.0. I'm open to recommendations. I used an Anker Karapax on iPhone 8. It seems Anker has been out of the phone case/screen protector game since 2017.

Apple not including a power adapter with the iPhone 12 line is almost defensible. Everyone upgrading from a previous generation iPhone already has a method to charge an iPhone. The included Lightning-to-USB-C cable is there mostly for anyone new to the ecosystem. Chances are, most people have access to at least one USB-C port. No one needs a power adapter; it's just infinitely more convenient. Still, if removing the power adapter was the plan, it really should have been a three to four year plan that started with including a higher wattage power adapter for a few generations and switching to USB-C years ago. I know, I've been thumping that card for years. Apple could have helped standardize USB-C in like 2015, and I'm still salty about it.

Anti-Apple folk have been quick to point out greed. Maybe? That's hardly exclusive to Apple. Samsung is trolling Apple again but will probably drop the power adapter in the next year or two. The real savings are in shipping as the boxes are like half the height now. I don't think Lightning licensing fees are really a primary motivator here. First, Apple has actually reduced the cost of licensing fees over the years. Second, Apple's endgame here seems to be to nix Lightning altogether and going port-less which would partially explain its refusal to embrace USB-C. The iPad gets USB-C because it's supposed to be a computer. Fine. Maybe that three to four year plan starts now to ultimately phase out Lightning, giving Apple's hardware engineers a little more internal space to work with.

I do think you're right that Apple's long term plan is to not have a port at all and that's why they haven't bothered to switch to USB-C. They introduced the Mag-Safe setup this year, they'll work the kinks out of it for a bit, and then in two years that's the only way to connect to it.

J.P. Corbran

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #685 on: October 21, 2020, 12:18:26 AM »
It better be 100% water proof by then.  If I can't have hours long facetime calls underwater, then what is the point??

Offline RABicle

• View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #686 on: October 22, 2020, 10:27:02 AM »
Regarding the environmental impact of not including the charger: This is less about packaging waste (Apple packaging is predominantly cardboard therefore recyclable/compostable) or even the excess unused chargers. It's about the size of the package. The iPhone 12 box is less than half the volume of the iPhone 11 box. That means they can physically fit twice as many of them in a single shipping container/truck/pallet etc. In a way, it's half the carbon emissions in transport costs and that's a big deal when they're planning on selling ~100,000,000 of these.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #687 on: October 22, 2020, 07:47:20 PM »
That's a fair point.  But how much of that is offset by an increase in sales of a plug?  That box is a different size and shape so the packing logistics change quite a bit.  And if consumers go to third parties, now those 3rd parties are revving up production and shipping to fill a demand Apple created.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #688 on: October 23, 2020, 12:32:31 AM »
Yes, this seems like one of those, look we are doing a good thing, without weighing in the unintended consequences.  Apple is kinda good/bad at doing this.  Getting rid of the headphone jack caused a new market of headphones, which can't be good for the environment.  Now this.  I get wanting to save the environment, but if this was my first apple product or first handphone it would turn me away that I couldn't charge it easily outside the box without another purchase.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: November 02, 2020, 03:15:58 PM »
Questions for anyone who has an Apple Watch (just insanolord?):

1. What size did you get? I have tiny, baby wrists, but the 40mm Apple Watch looks small. I didnā€™t get to try it on because Best Buy and Target have them wrapped around a stand dealie.

2. Do you have the GPS only model or the GPS and cellular model? How do you like it? Iā€™m considering getting the GPS and cellular model and only having the plan when I can actually use it (still not back to the gym). $100 extra is steep though especially when the SE GPS and cellular model is $50 more. $10 per month for the plan is also šŸ˜’. I read that you currently canā€™t stream Spotify with the GPS and cellular model (but thatā€™s in beta) so Iā€™d have to sign up for Apple Music if I want to leave my phone at home or in the car. Not sure if I can download music from Spotify to the Apple Watch.

3. Do you use a screen protector and/case? Iā€™ll probably get both because Iā€™m clumsy. Just curious how often others bang their wrists against things.

4. Have you tried the solo loop? Iā€™m leaning toward that band.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #690 on: November 02, 2020, 05:57:10 PM »
1. I currently have the 44 mm version of the series 6, but Iā€™ve had 38 mm and 42 mm versions of older models in the past. The smaller ones are still perfectly usable, but the extra space, even if itā€™s just a few mm, is nice.

2. I donā€™t have the cellular model, since I canā€™t think of any times where Iā€™m really going to use it and not have my phone with me.

3. I had a case on my old one, but I havenā€™t yet bought one for my new one, and Iā€™m kind of tempted to keep it that way.

4. I havenā€™t explored any of the fancy bands, right now Iā€™m just using a third-party leather band I got on Amazon.

J.P. Corbran

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #691 on: November 02, 2020, 11:15:32 PM »
1. Series 3, 42mm. It feels about right on my wrist.  It's small, but the UI makes efficient use of the space, wouldn't mind going larger.  I have medium/large hands.

2. GPS only. Same boat as insano.

3. Started with no case.  Bumped into a concrete wall and cracked it.  Got a case after that, but it started holding sweat inside the case (gross), so I ditched it.

4. Have not.  I primarily use Apple's athletic band, but I also have some 3rd party leather ones.  If I were to upgrade, I'd definitely like to try the loop, but I'd have to try the sizes out.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: November 03, 2020, 07:28:56 PM »
Thanks for the responses!

Did either of you get Applecare+ for Apple Watch or iPhone? I always got Applecare+ with the iPhone, but it rubbed me the wrong way on the iPhone 8 Plus. There was some burn in on the screen (top left corner where the cellular bars are), and it wasn't covered. I flat out told the Apple Store clerk, "I don't know why I paid for Applecare+ then..." I cracked the screen once ever on the iPhone 5S. Hardly seems worth it now especially with the case and screen protector I already bought for the iPhone 12 Pro Max.

I committed to 44mm since I bought a case (RhinoShield CrashGuard NX) and screen protector (Flolab NanoArmour) for that size. A YouTube tech reviewer I like (MobileReviewsEh) recommended both. The NanoArmour causes mild sensitivity issues so I think the larger screen might be useful for that. The CrashGuard NX leaves the entire Apple Watch back exposed which prevents (or at least greatly reduces) sweat and grime from getting caught between the case and the watch. I don't know if RhinoShield makes the CrashGuard NX for the Series 3. It cost me about $18 after shipping and a 10% discount code. Might be something to look into, nickmitch.

I'm leaning toward the GPS only model as I'm having trouble justifying the cost of the GPS and cellular model, both entry and monthly plan. My use case is very situational: literally the gym and running, neither of which is happening right now. Before quarantine, I was taking my phone with me when working out. The iPhone 12 Pro Max dimensions are pretty close to my current iPhone 8 Plus (slightly taller and heavier) so I have an idea of what to expect. The Mous Limitless 3.0 case is definitely bulkier than my current case.

I'm definitely getting a solo loop as the included band. I'm considering an extra Sport Loop, but they're hella expensive. I suppose if I'm already spending nearly $1700 on a new phone, watch, and accessories for both, I should stop complaining about an extra $50. No idea what I'll get for the iPhone 8 Plus trade-in, but I expect under $100 as it's three years old.

Offline RABicle

• View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #693 on: November 06, 2020, 12:23:17 AM »
1. I have the 38mm Gen 2 watch. I prefer the smaller size and I am also a wristlet.

2. GPS only, would love cellular just for the ability to listen to music while exercising without my phone.

3. No although I might consider a screen protector in the future.

4. I haven't tried it, I'm actually a little sceptical about how long it will hold it's stretches since you'll be taking it on an off each day to charge. I have a Nike sport band and a Milanese stainless steel band. Both I highly recommend.

ļ»æ

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: December 25, 2020, 06:34:11 PM »
I ordered the iPhone 12 Pro Max through Apple's website which had a T-Mobile special promotion with a trade-in. I got that earlier this week: $226.80 for my iPhone 8 Plus then a $150 e-gift card from T-Mobile. I don't believe I would have gotten all that had I traded in at the Apple Store so I guess it worked out.

Anyway, I've been using the iPhone 12 Pro Max for about two and a half weeks. It took a few days to get used to the gestures as I kept moving my thumb to press the non-existent Home button. The only notable thoughts I have are:
  • Touch ID > Face ID. Neither were perfect. Face ID seems like it fails more. Additionally, in a COVID-19 world, masks disrupt the utility of Face ID. I read a workaround is to set up an "Alternate Appearance". I haven't yet.
  • The side-button not being strictly being a power button was an adjustment. I thought something was wrong. I had to google how to turn off the phone.
  • The Lightning port in 2020 is hella dumb, and I don't know how Apple plans on nixing it in the next few years. The general consensus I've read about the MagSafe charger is that it's kind of cool, doesn't stay on with most cases, and charging times are slow.
  • The iPhone 12 Pro Max is noticeably heavier than the iPhone 8 Plus. I thought 16 g would be negligible. It isn't. Not uncomfortable, merely required more time to get used to than expected.
  • I don't hate the notch. I wish there were more options though, notably displaying the battery percentage. In time, I expect Apple to find a way to shrink it.
Otherwise, it's an iPhone. It does what I need it to do, and the learning curve for the post-Home button functionality was not steep. I'm trying to take better care of this iPhone as I will not be buying AppleCare+ this time. I opted for the Mous Limitless 3.0 case which has been great. Also, I read that it's better to charge at 24w or under. Since working from home, I was charging the iPhone 8 Plus primarily with the 29w power adapter. I bought some new 20w power adapters.

The Apple Watch Series 6 has been mostly extraneous so far as I only bought it to be on the same timeline as the iPhone (which I plan to keep for three years from now on), and I'm not returning to the gym any time soon. It's fine though. I'm glad I opted for the 44 mm. The hand washing timer dealie doesn't always work so I still just sing happy birthday to my one cat then my other cat. I highly recommend the RhinoShield CrashGuard NX case. The way it's shaped as not held dirt and grime.

I was in the market for a new MacBook Pro, but COVID-19 threw a wrench in those plans. I wanted to do some writing at the library or a cafe. I'll kick the can down the road until more apps natively support Apple's ARM-based M-series SOC. I'm thinking 2022 for the MacBrook Pro and 2023 for the iMac. It's hard to believe it's already been three and a half years since I bought my current one. Just marching toward the sweet release of death.

The AirPods Max had been rumored for a while. I thought it would be under $400. I mean, I wouldn't have bought one anyway, but my guess was $399, not $549. Wrong again, idiot.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: December 26, 2020, 10:33:03 PM »
If you're having trouble with Face ID failures you can try disabling Require Attention for Face ID in Settings. It's quicker and more reliable that way, though it is theoretically easier to fool.

J.P. Corbran

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #696 on: December 28, 2020, 11:51:50 AM »
Thanks for the responses!

Did either of you get Applecare+ for Apple Watch or iPhone?

I did not. My Apple Watch was a gift, and I missed the window to get the Applecare plan.  I will say that I did regret it after cracking the screen, but other than that I've had no issues, particularly none that would've sent me to the Apple Store.  The physical repair was kinda expensive (to the point where I considered buying a new one instead, but decided to save the money), and there aren't a ton of 3rd party options.  Now, I will say that I walked pretty hard into a concrete wall, which is not something I did twice.  The Apple Store person also said there was water damage, but I'm not sure if it was from the crack or something else.  I think I've swam with it on since the repair, so I think that's fine.

The Apple Watch Series 6 has been mostly extraneous so far as I only bought it to be on the same timeline as the iPhone (which I plan to keep for three years from now on), and I'm not returning to the gym any time soon.

I like using the watch with Fitness Boxing and Ring Fit Adventure (and Just Dance).  The "Fitness Gaming" option works well there.  The watch really helps me stay motivated to do my at-home Switch workouts.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: April 20, 2021, 02:42:13 PM »
Lots of new Apple things today.

AirTags finally got officially announced after being rumored for 37 years. They're also cheaper than I thought they'd be ($30 for one) though still $10 more than I want them to be. I would have bought one for my keys prior to March 2020. Due to my own negligence and someone breaking into my car, I keep my key fob dealie in a faraday case (which is then placed in a faraday box when I'm home). Out of habit, I always know where my keys are so I probably don't need this.

Something something Apple Card something.

I signed up for the one year free trial of AppleTV+ and have yet to actually watch anything. I keep forgetting it exists. AppleTV got an update with 4K. The new remote looks neat-o.

Nice to see the iMac get its first real redesign in forever. Looks good though the white bezel is a bit surprising. Four USB C ports is kind of weak. I don't like that Apple placed the Ethernet port on the power brick. Then again, I don't and like will never use the Ethernet port so šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø.

I bought my iMac in July 2017. I'm sticking to a five year upgrade cycle since that was about how long my first MacBook Pro lasted before it started feeling slow/dated for my usage. I've noticed some instances in which my current iMac is like "Bruh, I don't have enough RAM to do what you're asking me to do." Google Chrome eats a lot of resources. Microsoft Office is also hella slow to start up. I will upgrade next year. For realsies (barring getting fired or something). It'll be 2022 before we know it so I'll just be over here contemplating my mortality until then.

Apple was frustratingly vague on details of the new Magic Keyboard, Magic TrackPad, and Magic Mouse. Do they still charge via Lightning? How much do they cost? I like the keypad so I'm particularly curious how much extra that is.

The new iPad Pro is about as expected. I'm in the market for a new iPad since I shattered the screen on my iPad Pro a couple months ago. Replacing the screen costs like $400 so I might as well just upgrade. 12.9" is too big so I'm eyeing up that 11" model. I don't care about Liquid Retina XDR. I don't know how that would benefit me for my purposes though I will (finally) benefit from ProMotion. I was hoping for an Apple Pencil 3 announcement. I would like to get back into drawing/revisit my comic (comedy, not superhero... maybe some superhero) instead of merely talking about it so this is as good a time as any try the Apple Pencil. Maybe that will be announced at the fall Apple Event. I'm sure the Apple Pencil 2 is fine for my needs. I'm just a mark for new things.

I'm hoping libraries open up again soon. I meant to buy a new MacBook Pro last year. It worked out. I might have bought one right before Apple switched to the ARM-based M1 chip. If Apple finally redesigns the MacBook line this year, I'll doubly benefit.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 02:57:51 PM by Adrock »

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: April 24, 2021, 08:18:41 PM »
From the sound of it they are redesigning the MacBook Pro for the new models that will be launching later this year. They're bringing back MagSafe for the power adapter as well as dedicated HDMI and SD card ports. I've been planning to buy one of those once they come out for a while now, my MacBook is a 2014 model, and while it was the absolute best one you could buy at the time, it's definitely showing its age. I was originally going to buy an Intel one before they stopped making them, but the M1 impressions have been so good I decided to go with that.

I signed up for the one year free trial of AppleTV+ and have yet to actually watch anything. I keep forgetting it exists.

Watch Ted Lasso. That's not just me being a soccer fan, it's really good and definitely the best thing on there. Mythic Quest is pretty good too.

J.P. Corbran

Offline RABicle

• View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #699 on: April 27, 2021, 03:28:13 AM »
I signed up for the one year free trial of AppleTV+ and have yet to actually watch anything. I keep forgetting it exists.

Watch Ted Lasso. That's not just me being a soccer fan, it's really good and definitely the best thing on there. Mythic Quest is pretty good too.
Ted Lasso is like... it's a sitcom where they forgot to make it funny but did make it warm and fuzzy.

What i found most fascinating about the Spring Loaded event is that Apple are now basically selling the exact same hardware, the M1, in 4 different form factors. Is this the future of personal computing?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2021, 03:30:11 AM by RABicle »