Author Topic: Um, Apple thread  (Read 249366 times)

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
Re: Um, Apple thread
« Reply #625 on: October 31, 2018, 09:25:44 PM »
So what is this amazing technology that is going to replace the 3.5mm jack? Because as somebody who has used Bluetooth headsets for about a decade now that certainly isn't it. There is a simplicity to just plugging in your headphones directly into your phone and not having to deal with pairing or the headset not playing your music because it's only connected via phone audio for some reason so you have to either turn the headset off or you have to turn Bluetooth off on your phone. Most likely you will have to do both multiple times before it connects properly.

Most customers don't have the patience to deal with that ****. It's as simple as that.

Now if the headphone jack was being replaced by some other type of functionality (like maybe a second USB C port, that would honestly be more useful than a built in 3.5mm jack AND take up less space.) I wouldn't mind it so much but that's not what's happening.

Considering how much **** BlackBerry was able to cram into the Priv I just can't buy the "There isn't enough space" argument.
2 mm of depth over the height and width of the Priv is a lot of area you're downplaying.
No, it really isn't. 2 mm converts to 0.0787402 inches. That's nothing. I will never understand the obsession that phone manufacturers have with thinness. What matters is how comfortable the phone is to use and what kind of functionality is contained within, not that next years Galaxy S11 is thin enough to give somebody a paperclip.

Edit: The thing is, and I'll get into this more sometime, is that nobody seems to be making the phone I want anymore, and to be honest that includes the BlackBerry/TCL partnership thing that's going on now.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 09:36:54 PM by pokepal148 »

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: October 31, 2018, 10:03:57 PM »
So what is this amazing technology that is going to replace the 3.5mm jack?
Anecdotally, I have not had a problem with bluetooth headphones. I use it every time I go to the gym. I turn on bluetooth, my iPhone remembers the headphones, and I hold a button to pair it. That takes five seconds. The only downside for me is remembering I have to keep it charged which is why I previously said I didn't love the idea of giving up the headphone jack. Like all things, there are pros and cons.

I'm not really interested in arguing personal experience. If you don't like bluetooth, I'm not going to try to change your mind.
No, it really isn't. 2 mm converts to 0.0787402 inches. That's nothing.
You just converted millimeters to inches. I'm referring to volume (L x W x H). That's a lot of room to work with considering how small everything has to be to fit into devices this small.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 10:13:13 PM by Adrock »

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #627 on: November 17, 2018, 01:10:24 PM »
So fair warning to anyone who got the new iPad Pro: Apparently Apple beat Samsung to the punch and created the first Tablet with a foldable screen.

I can only hope that the comments on that video become half as entertaining as the time he snapped a Nexus 6P in half and than did it again to piss off the Google fanboys.

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #628 on: November 19, 2018, 08:44:06 PM »
Vicious and cruel video.

And it's just your bluetooth headset that sucks Pokepal. Wireless audio is fine and has been fine for years and doesn't involve tanged cords. Airpods are like magic. they always pair to my iMac, MBA and iPhone and they always seem to know which one I'm listening to.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 08:48:00 PM by RABicle »
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: November 19, 2018, 09:13:44 PM »
It's Bluetooth.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #630 on: November 19, 2018, 09:22:14 PM »
Vicious and cruel video.
Not as vicious and cruel as charging $1000 for something that can break that easily due to a hardware fault and than charging an arm and a leg to get it officially repaired while you are actively trying to prevent third party repairs of your devices altogether.

Now that's vicious and cruel.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 09:24:00 PM by pokepal148 »

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: November 20, 2018, 08:48:55 AM »
That video is so f-ing stupid. Dude is actively trying to break the iPad. In what situation would the average person ever need to do that? Most things can be broken if enough force it applied. If I slash my tires, I can’t blame Michelin for supposedly making faulty tires. I’m not supposed to be slashing my tires so if I do, that’s on me. When used appropriately, these things will work as expected.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #632 on: November 20, 2018, 06:54:45 PM »
Adrock:  The waste on the internet frustrates me.  When you see people actively destroying products that are expensive and made from limited resources in the world just for clicks is annoying.  It makes it more frustrating when you think, the money wasted just to break an iPad Pro could have been donated to help people. 

That said, I think he was trying to show that Apple's design choices are making the iPad Pro vulnerable to breaking with minor stress.  The video does tell us though how much force he used though.  It seems to me to actually be a video to ultimately sell the protective covers he was advertising on the video, which means he is not being that honest to the audience.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #633 on: November 21, 2018, 04:55:18 AM »
It seems to me to actually be a video to ultimately sell the protective covers he was advertising on the video, which means he is not being that honest to the audience.
Actually those are skins. there is absolutely no structural reinforcement to them. They can probably protect the ipad from scratches pretty well though and it's pretty easy to infer that's what he was talking about.

He also does videos on repairs of smart devices and the one on the back glass repair for the newer iPhones is really interesting because of what an absolute nightmare it is to do (it's widely believed that apple themselves just replace the entire chassis.)

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #634 on: November 21, 2018, 11:42:46 AM »
Good to know my iPhone can survive extreme temperatures.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #635 on: November 21, 2018, 09:24:08 PM »
Also there are some really entertaining comments on the Ipad video if you dig a little for them.

Vicious and cruel video.

And it's just your bluetooth headset that sucks Pokepal. Wireless audio is fine and has been fine for years and doesn't involve tanged cords. Airpods are like magic. they always pair to my iMac, MBA and iPhone and they always seem to know which one I'm listening to.
The headset I'm using is a Bose soundlink headset. it's stupidly high end, costed an arm and a leg to get at the time, is also capable of connecting through a 3.5mm connection through an adapter for Nintendo stuff, and I can guarantee you that it isn't the problem here.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 09:27:35 PM by pokepal148 »

Offline RABicle

• View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #636 on: November 24, 2018, 07:36:03 PM »
Bose
Terrible brand. Bloody hell, you troll up an Apple thread and then turn around and confess to fully swallowing Bose's premium sound for boomers nonsense. My Bose Soundlink Mini broke exactly 2 months out of warranty. The support lady blamed me for not charging it properly and wanted $129 for a repair. It's absolutely your headphones.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #637 on: November 24, 2018, 08:06:51 PM »
I've used multiple other headsets with the exact same problems though. If airpods work well than that's great, but based on my experience they're the outlier and not the norm.

And to be clear they were a gift, they've also lasted around 4 years now and they're still going strong. Probably wouldn't do bose again because of the price but still.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: September 10, 2019, 02:51:33 PM »
Pretty aggressive pricing for both Apple Arcade and AppleTV: $4.99 per month for each. And if you buy a new Mac, iPhone, or iPad, you get one year of AppleTV included. Not a bad deal. Granted, I still don’t particularly care because I just signed up for three years of Disney+ for even less, and it already has content I want. However, I am admittedly impressed with the pricing because most analysts had AppleTV at $9.99 per month.

The other announcements weren’t especially interesting to me. This year’s iPhone was hella leaked months ago. For the first time, I’m going to hang onto my current iPhone for an extra year because next year is expected to be a major refresh year. I’ll probably have the battery replaced on my iPhone 8. I’m also holding off on the Apple Watch Series 5 since I want to get one at the same time as a new iPhone so I guess I’m stuck with this custom title for another year.

I was hoping for a MacBook Pro refresh. It got a spec update in June, but there are rumors that Apple plans to refresh the line again in late 2019, returning to scissor-switch keyboards but with reinforced keys. I’m not fucking with that butterfly keyboard nonsense Apple has been trying to make happen for like four years now. My last MacBook Pro still turns on and works (just hella slow now), and I want that kind of durability.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 03:13:12 PM by Adrock »

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: September 10, 2019, 04:39:41 PM »
I'm probably holding out for next year's iPhone as well. I've still got the X, which I've been extremely happy with. As for AppleTV+, I'm not that interested in another streaming service even at that price, but they're making a series based on Isaac Asimov's Foundation series, which are my favorite sci-fi novels ever, so I'm sure I'll cave and get it for that.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #640 on: September 10, 2019, 09:18:44 PM »
I for one am shocked that Apple has decided to stick with making probably **** tons of money on Lightning adapters and accessories instead of switching to USB C like some pundits thought they would for some reason.

Also, that 11 pro's camera setup looks like a metroid.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: September 10, 2019, 10:09:21 PM »
Apple was an early adopter of USC-C on the Mac side of things, so I'm a little surprised they haven't taken iPhone and iPad that way as well.

J.P. Corbran

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: September 10, 2019, 10:41:32 PM »
... they're making a series based on Isaac Asimov's Foundation series, which are my favorite sci-fi novels ever, so I'm sure I'll cave and get it for that.

Nice! I was wondering earlier in the day what content Apple TV might have to make me care about another streaming service - frankly, there is more content on any one service than I have time to watch. However, if there is something really cool like this, I might be in for a month to binge my way through.
NNID: ejamer

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #643 on: September 11, 2019, 11:34:39 PM »
I'm also not interested in the new iPhone lineup.  I'm surprised the baseline model is more based on the XR than the XS, but I guess the 11 Pro is more XS.

I currently have a XR, so I'm in no rush.  But if next year is the redesign year, then the year after would be where I'd normally strike.  However, I'm back in school so my phone budget ain't what it used to be.

Glad to see prices are trending back down a bit?

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #644 on: September 11, 2019, 11:56:48 PM »
Apparently 3D touch is being phased out which is a real shame. I feel like the only way that was ever going to take off is if Apple had been willing to license it out to other manufacturers. Basically as long as that tech was exclusive to Apple devices it was always pretty much doomed.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #645 on: September 12, 2019, 12:00:21 AM »
3D Touch was such a good feature.  I honestly miss having it.  Wasn't sure I would since I didn't use it all the time, but those times when I would've used it really stand out now.

Offline RABicle

• View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #646 on: October 12, 2019, 08:04:37 PM »
Apparently they couldn't get it right on the iPad so thought it best to keep the user experience consistent. Long touch provides the same functionality.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #647 on: October 12, 2019, 11:57:31 PM »
I don't like long touch.  I seem to be triggering it accidentally a lot, even when I don't even realize I'm making contact with the screen.  Honestly, I'd probably turn it off if I didn't need it to delete/rearrange apps.  Or if I knew how.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: October 13, 2019, 12:03:04 AM »
I was having issues with activating it accidentally as well, so I went into Settings > Accessibility > Touch > 3D & Haptic Touch and switched Touch Duration from Fast to Slow. That way it's still there if I need it but harder to do accidentally.

J.P. Corbran

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #649 on: October 13, 2019, 12:56:48 AM »
Nice! Thanks!  I tried to search for it for couldn't find it. :^/  Hopefully this will help.