Author Topic: Anyone else buying the new Smash controller for actual GameCube games?  (Read 3919 times)

Offline SpiritMask

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
So, the most exciting news lately for me is the announcement of new 1st party GameCube controllers! I have been using my one GC controller for both my GC and N64 (with Raphnet adapter) backlogs, and I've been getting worried about what I will do when the controller wears out, or if I need more for multiplayer games. New GameCube controllers are like $100 on eBay! So yeah, this announcement is the best ever, and they are only going to be $30! Now if they would only make more N64 controllers...

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
To be honest, I'm more likely to use the ones I got for Smash 4 than my old controllers, which are still in good/ok shape, should the opportunity arise to use them on a GC. 

That being said, I probably won't get a Smash U controller unless they put them out in Spice Orange.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
I probably will if they have rumble included. If not then I'll pass. I can still see used GameCube controllers sell for $10-20 in my area so if I need another I can always try that source. However, if these new ones do include rumble, my hope is that Nintendo (or a third party) will make some with character specific types. For example:

I was seriously thinking of buying these when I first saw them only to learn they connect into a Wiimote so they can't be used for a GameCube system and that they didn't have rumble. I got the Mario character specific Wiimotes that Nintendo released (although I really wish they had released Wario, Waluigi and Daisy themed controllers instead of so much green with Luigi, Yoshi and Bowser). I like to have different colors in controllers. Or maybe some new Spice colored controllers. After all, he who controls the spice controls the universe!
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Ha ha ha! I just read nickmitch's post after making mine and see that he also agrees about new Spice controllers. That's great! The spice controllers must flow!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 11:57:47 PM by Linkle Link »
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
And Purple!

Offline SpiritMask

• View Profile
And Purple!

Did you mean "indigo"? And, yes, those character-based controllers are badass, especially the Metal Mario one. However, I find the nunchuk to be the best analog stick for Brawl/SSBWiiU, due to its smaller range of travel, and the Wii Classic controller is better and more comfortable overall for Wii/Wiiware/VC games. So, not really interested in anything that doesn't have a GameCube dongle.

That DK controller looks like $h!&, for real. They should have gone with the banana peel design from the N64 days, and given Wario a purple controller.

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
I still have my original GCN controllers so I'll be using them lol

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
I have a set of 4...indigo, indigo, black, platinum Wavebird.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
I have an original Wavebird and the adaptor I purchased for Smash 4, so I don't think I'll need to.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
Not solely for Gamecube games, but I do think I'll pick one up if I run across it at a Gamestop around here.  Those things are gonna continue to be hard to come by otherwise. 

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
I did this with the Wii U game.  I don't even have SSB for Wii U but I bought the Cube controller that came out with it's release to have a new one to replace my originals as they broke down.  At the time I didn't even have a Wii U yet.

I probably won't do that twice.

It would be cool if Nintendo did runs like this for other old consoles.  I know this is specifically for SSB but I just spent a little while trying to find an original SNES controller in good condition to replace some of my defective old ones.  It would be nice if Nintendo made their own as a niche thing for retro gamers.  Third party companies already do this so Nintendo could easily steal that market out from under them.  They already have essentially created new NES and SNES controllers for the Classics line, they just need an old school plug.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
I have plenty of GameCube controllers, regular and Wavebird. I’d still buy a new Daisy/Spice controller.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
I'm looking into options for time travel so I can fling the GameCube controller design into Mount Doom where it f**king belongs and replace it with something that actually functions (Classic Controller Pro, anyone?) so no.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
I’m absolutely using the Switch Pro Controller for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. I don’t have the same fondness for the GameCube controller as others particularly with Super Smash Bros. It was fine for the time and not nearly as offensive as its Nintendo 64 counterpart. I like having the GameCube Adapter and controller available for those who want to use it so they can’t blame the controller when they lose.

It isn’t the controller, man. My brother is just stupidly good at video games.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 01:22:28 AM by Adrock »

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
I've still got three working WaveBirds in addition to one wired controller, so I'm not really in the market for new GameCube controllers right now. I mostly played the Wii U game with the GamePad anyway, and will probably end up playing this one with Joy-Cons considering I'll likely be playing it in handheld mode whenever I'm not playing local multiplayer.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline SpiritMask

• View Profile
I'm looking into options for time travel so I can fling the GameCube controller design into Mount Doom where it f**king belongs and replace it with something that actually functions (Classic Controller Pro, anyone?) so no.

I get it. It's like Nintendo decided to  rip off the Xbox controller, but they wanted to just botch it up a little so it wouldn't LOOK like a rip off. But those damned analog triggers make it essential for several GameCube games, therefore I must have them. But good damn that D-pad for real. How are you going to invent the D-pad, improve on it over a couple generations, and then invent and release the worst ever iteration of it after finally getting the anaolog stick right!?

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
I get it. It's like Nintendo decided to  rip off the Xbox controller, but they wanted to just botch it up a little so it wouldn't LOOK like a rip off. But those damned analog triggers make it essential for several GameCube games, therefore I must have them. But good damn that D-pad for real. How are you going to invent the D-pad, improve on it over a couple generations, and then invent and release the worst ever iteration of it after finally getting the anaolog stick right!?

The games magazine I read for a couple of years back then was hyping up Mortal Kombat V for MONTHS. Like a total idiot I bought into it and for 2 or 3 months really tried to convince myself it was a fun game. I'm sure someone enjoyed it, but it sure wasn't me, cos guess what? D-Pad controls ONLY on GameCube!

Bloody awful. The story/tutorial mode required you to pull off just a few successive combos in between reading poorly written walls of text. It was pretty impossible with those directional controls. Infuriating stuff.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
I bought one of the ones released back during Smash 4, so I have no need to buy this re-re-release. And I didn't even need that one, but that's just how irresponsible I am.

Offline GK

• Lord of Lower Rank
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
Think I have enough GC controllers for now. Though I preferred N64 controller & then the Wiimote/Nunchuck so the GC controls will probably be for guests while I give the Switch Pro a try.
Mission...complete?