Author Topic: Episode 440: Indefatigable Podcast  (Read 5318 times)

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
Episode 440: Indefatigable Podcast
« on: August 16, 2015, 10:11:01 AM »

Season 5's got a fresh new look, with the same great RFN taste.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/40963/episode-440-indefatigable-podcast

Episode 440 is the start of Radio Free Nintendo: Season 5. While Jonny's departure is still fresh, Jon, Gui, and new host James are joined by RFN's (sort of) newest member - Mr. Greg Leahy.

While change may be in the air, RFN still starts the way it always has - New Business. Greg kicks off the show, having just recently acquired Splatoon, with a fresh perspective on Nintendo's online paint-shooting, squid-jumping, kid-being game. Jon also has Splatoon impressions, giving his take on the game's Tower Control mode. Gui continues the Squid Parade with his thoughts on the latest Splatfest (Team Hot Dog got robbed) before getting the show out of the ink with his thoughts on Never Alone, a puzzle platformer that explores the culture of Alaskan Native peoples. James wraps up New Business with his thoughts on Uncharted Waters: New Horizons, Koei's 1994 sailing game set during the Age of Exploration. You can see more of that here.

After the break it's time for Listener Mail. First up is a new question about NX: has it inspired more speculation than previous Nintendo consoles? Next, a very special listener wants us to talk more about Quality of Life, and if its still a thing. Our third question asks for a look behind the curtain, why does RFN tend to cut discussion of non-Nintendo games a bit short? Lastly,in light of Nintendo's termination of Chris Pranger (following his less-than-flattering apperance on another podcast), a mysterious listener wants to know if Nintendo is too private and if there's any reason to think they're going to change anytime soon.

If you have a question for our intrepid foursome, or just a topic you want us to talk about it, you can send let us know right here.

Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
Re: Episode 440: Indefatigable Podcast
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2015, 11:51:04 PM »
Great show! I really enjoyed the Splatoon talk. Hopefully, I'll make the time to play it more.

On the Chris Pranger-ing: I suggest listening to the Part-Time Gamer podcast he was on if only to hear the thing that got a person fired. My impression on him is mostly from the podcast and not at all from the NeoGAF thread. He gave jovial, candid, unchecked, and honest insight in to the workings of Nintendo Treehouse. His talk on all the subjects left me with the sense that he has love, criticism, frustrations, and adoration for position he held in the industry, to his peers, and competitors. This love and etc. would not be out of place on Radio Free Nintendo or other podcasts.

Frankly, I am shocked and saddened that Mr. Pranger's words were presented without context or twisted in a way to garner a bad impression of him on forum threads and Twitter replies. His comments on Sakurai gave me the sense that Sakurai cares deeply, perhaps insanely, for his work and for Smash Bros. Pranger's comments on the Final Fantasy 7 Remake are not any more harsh or extreme than any other thoughtful questioning on the video game. Lastly, his talk on picking games to localize was a blunt explanation on the business realities as he saw it.

I don't question Pranger's firing; clearly he spoke out of turn and against Nintendo's policy. What I am left with is an answer to why Nintendo (of America) isn't more transparent or communicative to the enthusiast press and audience. Granted, Pranger's podcast appearance is probably too much and too rough in its frankness. But when some of the passionate audience so easily interprets words as something abhorrent. And to have the game of telephone play out in articles in the worst way possible. I find it hard to argue against Nintendo thinking, "Why bother having anything other than a polished, practiced, media-trained, and controlled interaction with the press and public."

In this instance, Nintendo (as represented by Chris Pranger) had gained nothing good from being candid and transparent.

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2015, 02:18:44 AM »
I fully approve of the new closer tradition.
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2015, 08:32:50 AM »
One of the biggest rules in business: As an employee, with little exception, when you speak about something, you act as a representative of your company as a whole.  It's the same reason why if you work for somewhere and they don't like what you say on your social media account, it can get you canned.  In this case, he went to a podcast and spoke candidly his thoughts about several topics relating to the industry he works in.  You feel a little bad because the comments he's made following his termination show how much this has crushed him, but anyone who has either worked in a business or followed video game news long enough knows what happens if you speak off the cuff without either A) forcing yourself to a very limited script, B) Checking with and getting approval from your HR department to speak on a public forum, or C) Both.

You may disagree with it, you may not like it, but that's how it is.

Offline KisakiProject

• Score: -8
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2015, 10:14:27 AM »
Greg I can't stress how happy it makes me to hear you again.

Gui I really liked Never Alone too.  I got it on PS4 when it came out to play with my fiancee.  Since co-op platformers are about all she can handle.  I just remember being angry because I was stuck as the little girl and she got to be the fox.  The game is really worthwhile if you have an afternoon free and somebody to play with.  I recommend it.

Offline Kobeskillz

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2015, 11:00:16 AM »
Great show!

Greg it was a pleasure hearing you again.

I look forward to the new season. Great job hosting and everyone was great.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2015, 04:10:28 PM »
On Never Alone - I played it solo, and found it particularly boring after playing about 20 minutes.  Does coop really enhance the experience enough to warrant a 2nd try?

Offline Pandareus

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2015, 04:31:19 PM »
Since you already own the game, definitely try the co-op.

Offline sudoshuff

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2015, 09:42:40 PM »
Both James' hosting and Greg's return brings a certain enthusiasm to the podcast that I appreciate. I already dig it.

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2015, 10:31:54 AM »
It was kind of great to hear James begin the transition from Troll Commentator to Competent Host. James has hosted before but he took this one more seriously than those previous hosting duties. He was good at it! Already! Obviously Jonny knew that was going to be the case and that should have been the only vote of confidence I needed, but it was still a pleasant, reassuring surprise. And Greg's back! Thank God!

Pretty solid start to Season 5. Kudos, gentlemen.

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2015, 01:16:56 PM »
Thanks everybody. This entire process has been stressful to say the least. I'm still holding my entire deck of rhetorical derailers and still plan to use them as situation dictates. As host I gain another toolset to address the same issues. It looks like this train is racing towards a Thunder Round this week, barring a sudden influx of deep email topics, so lets put a coda on maturity discussion for a bit.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline K-S-O

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2015, 09:46:17 PM »
I love the idea of closing the episodes with various Nintendo songs.  How will you decide what gets played?  Do you guys decide what to play or will you be taking suggestions?

Offline Crimm

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2015, 11:52:36 PM »
Bit of both I guess. Like most of the "New to Season 5" stuff its still in flux. Greg literally threw it out during recording and we went with it. I'd guess we'll settle it among ourselves, so I'll be taking input from listeners. You can post it here or email it in. Music suggestions with good questions get bonus consideration...just saying.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Kobeskillz

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2015, 03:41:36 AM »
Bit of both I guess. Like most of the "New to Season 5" stuff its still in flux. Greg literally threw it out during recording and we went with it. I'd guess we'll settle it among ourselves, so I'll be taking input from listeners. You can post it here or email it in. Music suggestions with good questions get bonus consideration...just saying.

In the final
Mario and luigi bowsers inside story

YouTube that song and behold! Such a great song I didn't want to even beat the final boss so I could keep lisening to it.

I'm glad you guys continued the podcast. It was great and a pleasure. Great job hosting.

Offline MASB

• "The game's afoot, Watson!" "You're standing on mine, Holmes!"
  • Score: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2015, 03:49:24 PM »
Awesome episode. Great to have Greg back. :) The passion you guys have for the show is amazing. While I didn't really have any doubt that the show's quality would continue apace, it's nice to see that confirmed.

James was a good host (which I thought he would be). I do hope Jon gets a chance to host soon. The man messed up the name of the podcast when he hosted. That doesn't even rank in the top 10 biggest blunders in RFN history. If you count all of 103, it doesn't even reach the top 50! Give the man his chance! But when he does it, give Jon plenty of prep time. I want the full Lindemann experience, not the "Hey, you're doing it next week" experience.

Greg, if my math is right, I believe you still have about 4 years before you're the same age Jon was when he became a regular (if you're starting from the time Jonny, James, Jon and you started). So you can laugh away guilt-free to 2019! :)

It'll be interesting to see what changes/additions to the show you guys come up with in the coming weeks and months.

Offline InvaderREN

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2015, 04:54:13 PM »
OK, that's it, my sole purpose in life is now to get an email read so that I can suggest the title screen music from Metroid Prime as the outro music. Although I would also settle for Phendrana Drifts.

Outro music. Best idea ever. Who knew?

Offline Kobeskillz

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2015, 07:28:58 PM »
Hey i hope I don't get killed for this but IGN does this thing on scoop that's pretty entertaining. 20 questions.

I wouldn't mind seeing the RFN crew rip that off and take suggestions from listeners.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2015, 10:19:53 AM »
Welcome back Greg!

As a resident of Washington state, let me comment that it's not really hard to fire somebody here even with our labor laws.

Offline Crimm

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2015, 12:42:26 AM »
Welcome back Greg!

As a resident of Washington state, let me comment that it's not really hard to fire somebody here even with our labor laws.

I'd guess they have to have some degree of cause, right? Here it's just "Today, I dislike you." I guess if I ran a company like that my concern would be if I resolved a situation one way and then a different way at a later date. At that point you're open for a bias claim. Even if you would eventually win, it would be a pain in the ass to deal with.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2015, 02:14:33 AM »
It just ends up that "I don't like you." goes hunting for a reason until "You were 45 seconds late coming back from lunch." or "we saw a company pen on the seat of your car."