Author Topic: UK Nintendo Store Temporarily Hit by Accidental Discounts on First-Party Games  (Read 2957 times)

Offline Killer_Man_Jaro

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 22
    • View Profile

Speedy buyers were able to make vast savings earlier today.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/36360

Nintendo UK's digital store accidentally discounted numerous retail games to less than £10 for a brief time earlier today.

Between 1pm and 2pm GMT, the website was temporarily selling first-party Wii U titles such as Pikmin 3 and The Wonderful 101 for £8.95 each, while 3DS games including Animal Crossing: New Leaf and Mario & Luigi: Dream Team were priced at £7.95. 

These huge discounts were quickly amended to their normal prices, but according to reports on social media, users who were quick enough to take advantage of these cuts did receive their redeemable download codes, indicating that these purchases will be honored.

At the time of writing, Nintendo has so far declined to comment on the situation.

Tom Malina
UK Correspondent
-----------------------------
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPixâ„¢
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
Damn it!
Gouge away.

Offline Leo13

• Score: 13
    • View Profile
That's awesome of Nintendo to honor them. Awhile back something similar happened to Walmart and they canceled the orders.
http://www.businessinsider.com/walmarts-website-accidentally-sold-expensive-items-for-cheap-but-walmart-wont-honor-the-sale-2013-11

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
I'm not sure Nintendo would have a choice but to honour the purchases, lest there be complaints to the UK's consumer watchdog.

Besides, this probably doubled W101's worldwide sales.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
Wonderful 101 might sell better if Nintendo cut the price for physical and digital down to say $29.99 and then marketed the game a little more. As I said before, it would be smart to make a Wonderful 101 TV series on Nickolodean or whatever kids channels they have these days. This is because it is a new IP and needs as much exposure as possible to garner sales. Lastly, Nintendo needs to offer sales on their digital first party games in a similar manner to that of Steam. Third parties would do the same once they saw sales increase.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Leo13

• Score: 13
    • View Profile
Truth is Wonderful 101 is an incredible game. I really wish more people had tried it. A sequel would be awesome some day, but with those sales numbers it'll never happen.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
I never got into Viewtiful Joe and W101 seems to channel that style so I never felt terribly compelled to get it. I may grab it down the road as it could become a highly sought after cult classic.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline sisibakbak

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Grabbed Pikmin 3. Couldn't believe they honoured it! Really wish I got W101 too but oh well, I'm still very happy about Pikmin.

I wonder what happened? :/

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
I'll bet the system is automatic so that once purchase is processed the code is automatically sent out and once the code is out there is not much they could do about it without a huge amount of effort. And the recovering the loss of a few games sold at a steep discount would be outweighed by the bad PR and upset customer potential of a recovery effort.

It was probably a clerical error or typo in the code when they made a new update and they didn't fully test it before updating the site.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline smallsharkbigbite

• Score: -7
    • View Profile
That's awesome of Nintendo to honor them. Awhile back something similar happened to Walmart and they canceled the orders.
http://www.businessinsider.com/walmarts-website-accidentally-sold-expensive-items-for-cheap-but-walmart-wont-honor-the-sale-2013-11

I don't think that is remotely similar.  Walmart was selling a TV that probably cost them $1,600 for $200.  Nintendo was charging $9.99 for something they already paid for.  The potential for lost revenue was there (if people that would have paid $60 paid $10), but it wasn't an additional cost for the company.