Author Topic: REVIEWS: Final Fantasy III  (Read 33385 times)

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
RE:REVIEWS: Final Fantasy III
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2006, 04:12:56 PM »

Originally posted by: KnowsNothing
"Subjectivity" isn't sometime that qualifies/disqualifies someone, but it's something to keep in mind.  A review can never be completely objective, nor should it strive to be.  It's impossible, because it's a subjective piece by nature.  If a "review" turns out to be completely objective, then it is merely a discription of the final version of a game.  That's fine and dandy, and often a lot more helpful to a reader than someone just going "This game sucks," but in my mind it's not really a review.  It's a post-preview.  Or something.  I don't know.

I feel a review should be a mix between a preview and impressions (of the final version of a game, of course), if that makes sense.  There should be factual description as well as subjective commentary.  A review with all facts sucks, and a review with all opinion sucks.  Both = yay.

QFT.

I have a favorite movie reviewer, Mick Lasalle, who I sometimes agree with and sometimes disagree with. But the reason that I trust him enough to read his reviews is because after reading his review, I can decide for myself. That is to say, he doesn't tell me why a movie is good or bad, he tells me WHY it's good or bad. He writes about what the movie does well and what it doesn't, and he writes about how that affects the movie as a whole. Throughout that entire review, I feel like he's not only reviewing the movie, but deconstructing what it feels like to watch it. Thus, in the end, I can easily decide for myself if I want to watch the movie because regardless of his opinion, Mick Lasalle has also conveyed the objective facts of what the movie does and does not do. If I disagree with his opinions, it's easy to point at passages in his review and state that I see these facets of the movie as positives or negatives.

Hopefully, a game review would be able to do the same thing, convey the facts of what a game is built like, and what it plays like. On top of that, the reviewer can add a subjective layer where they measure the game's "worth" but for those who pay attention, the information in a review should inspire them to reach their own conclusion no matter what the reviewer said.

In fact, the best sort of review would be one without a score at all ... but that's not practical. Reviews with scores are more entertaining to read, and also easier to scan over if a reader is really on the run, or merely disinterested.

This FF3 review... I must say meets my criteria. (a review of a review! Oh what a world, what a world!)

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline WuTangTurtle

• aka ShaolinKilla
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE: REVIEWS: Final Fantasy III
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2006, 04:41:59 PM »
aw man this @$@#!, i hope Children of Mana is good otherwise my DS is still gonna be starving for a RPG.....which reminds me when the #@$!% does Tales of the Tempest come stateside?

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2006, 05:04:40 PM »
Time to sell that DS Lite!
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2006, 05:05:08 PM »

Originally posted by: nemyhlovecraft
So, you would have given the game a lower score because you've played it, or what? Eh, whatever, I won't give you a hard time for being stupid because thats not something you can really change. As for the review, I found it pretty shallow. You didn't like a classic JRPG because it featured the concepts inherent to a JRPG. Is that what I should be taking away from this? I would have liked to know how polished the engine is, how well MogNet worked, how well the Job system works. Maybe even how many hours of gameplay there actually was, of course you'd probably have to get past hour 5 to give a good reading on that. I can understand the desire to be known as "that guy" who thought it was cool to give an FF game a low review because their indie music sensabilities just have to leak over into every other aspect of their life, but I just have to think how bad it will look for PGC when every other media outlet is giving fairly decent scores and their reviewers have insightful things to say about game mechanics and the future of dense RPGs on the DS.

There are several problems with your post:

- You are insulting another poster.
- You wrongly assume that the reviewer does not like Japanese RPGs.  Read the review (not just the score!) and you'll see that he is very familiar with the Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest series, at the very least.
- You wrongly assume that the reviewer quit playing after a few hours.  He actually beat the entire game.  That would be how he came up with the estimates of how long it takes to complete...again, you would have learned this if you had actually read the review before ignorantly criticizing it.
- You are completely wrong in thinking that we ever adjust scores in a review to make a statement or to garner special attention.  We have more integrity than that, and I hope you will come to realize that after reading enough of our articles.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2006, 10:19:11 PM »
This review didn't sound like he hates the genre, it sounds like FF3 sucks. Unbalanced difficulty, randomness being more important than skill, a plot that's shallower than a puddle, typically NES. These aren't common traits of the genre, they are common traits of old games with very unripe gameplay. Even if it was standard for the genre he should have deducted points for it because bad game design is inexcusable, no matter how many other games in the genre do it wrong as well. If an MMO has a lot of grind, deduct points. If a sports game has almost no changes compared to the slightly oder game that goes for a tenner now, deduct points. If an FPS is like every other goddamn FPS deduct points. If you can't make a good game within genre conventions you must break the conventions.

If you want dungeon crawling with random, infuriating deaths then play Nethack.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2006, 11:24:25 PM »
^ Poast of the week.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Nephilim

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2006, 09:00:22 PM »
I dont like the hardnes issues, reason why i hated lunar:genesis... what a waste of money that game was

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2006, 10:12:31 PM »
Super Mario Bros has a shallow storyline and I've played 2 side scrollers like a million times before. A button is jump? teh innovationz!

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2006, 01:53:52 AM »
Super Mario Bros doesn't depend on its story to be fun, though.

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2006, 12:59:45 PM »

On another note, I was planning for this to be the first FF game I've played

Yeah, me too. Actually, it still probably will be my first FF...but, based on this review, I probably won't get very far into it. Dissapointing.
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline fireyhope

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2006, 04:29:41 PM »

Originally posted by: KDR_11k
This review didn't sound like he hates the genre, it sounds like FF3 sucks. Unbalanced difficulty, randomness being more important than skill, a plot that's shallower than a puddle, typically NES. These aren't common traits of the genre, they are common traits of old games with very unripe gameplay. Even if it was standard for the genre he should have deducted points for it because bad game design is inexcusable, no matter how many other games in the genre do it wrong as well. If an MMO has a lot of grind, deduct points. If a sports game has almost no changes compared to the slightly oder game that goes for a tenner now, deduct points. If an FPS is like every other goddamn FPS deduct points. If you can't make a good game within genre conventions you must break the conventions.

If you want dungeon crawling with random, infuriating deaths then play Nethack.

see, but i see nothing wrong with that, I find newer FF games just waaay too easy!
This is a throwback of oldschool style FF games and does everything right with better graphics from what i am hearing.

Unripe? no, it's classic throwback style, it's the style people grew up with playing J-RPG's.
Final Fantasy the very 1st one, remember how hard that was? man it was a challenge, nowaday's alot of Final Fantasy games are a breeze, just look at FFX too easy, good gameplay though but just too easy.

It just seems like the reviewer is nitpicking... Not enough music?
Well cause the original DIDN'T have many soundtracks, all they did was just probably revamp everything with good graphics better lvling up system and better everything, except keeping the game true to the people who truly love the old school JRPG gaming.

Anyways, if you start with a Final Fantasy Best to start with FFVII or FFX.  

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2006, 04:31:52 PM »
/faints at the neglect of FFVI

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

Offline fireyhope

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2006, 04:33:47 PM »

Originally posted by: Kairon
/faints at the neglect of FFVI

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

thats a good one too, but it's better for newcomers into the Final Fantasy Series to start with FFVII because it's more straightfoward and easier to get into then FFVI.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2006, 05:04:50 PM »
Ah, I see what you're saying then. Thanks for that!

And don't ever...EVER start with Final Fantasy 1! *brrr* impossible game to revert back to...play Dragon Warrior I instead!

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2006, 10:19:07 PM »
see, but i see nothing wrong with that, I find newer FF games just waaay too easy!

He never said the game was actually difficult, he said most of the game was a cakewalk and the bosses were horribly overpowered compared to the rest. Unbalanced difficulty, not high difficulty.

Unripe? no, it's classic throwback style, it's the style people grew up with playing J-RPG's.

Throwback or not it doesn't stack up to modern games.

Final Fantasy the very 1st one, remember how hard that was? man it was a challenge, nowaday's alot of Final Fantasy games are a breeze, just look at FFX too easy, good gameplay though but just too easy.

FFX is damn hard. I mean, it'd take years to get the patience to stand that game's battle system for more than an hour. Never mind the constant desire to rip Yuna's head off, stick it on a pole and parade it through town.

Well cause the original DIDN'T have many soundtracks, all they did was just probably revamp everything with good graphics better lvling up system and better everything, except keeping the game true to the people who truly love the old school JRPG gaming.

This is a remake, they had the chance to fix what was broken with the original and they failed to do so.

Offline fireyhope

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2006, 04:02:56 PM »

He never said the game was actually difficult, he said most of the game was a cakewalk and the bosses were horribly overpowered compared to the rest. Unbalanced difficulty, not high difficulty.

Throwback or not it doesn't stack up to modern games.

FFX is damn hard. I mean, it'd take years to get the patience to stand that game's battle system for more than an hour. Never mind the constant desire to rip Yuna's head off, stick it on a pole and parade it through town.

This is a remake, they had the chance to fix what was broken with the original and they failed to do so.

Failed to do what? Square was about to go bankrupt until Final Fantasy came along!

Horribly Overpowered? wtf? no, they weren't, you just needed to battle alot more, i beat Final Fantasy pretty easily.

Yes it's alot harder but nothing is overpowered to the extent that it's impossible to beat it or is too hard.

Doesn't stack up to modern games? yes it does, it stacks up to people who like throwbacks and classic J-RPG games, IF YOU DON'T LIKE CLASSIC J-RPG's you aren't going to like this game.

And if anybody calls FFX Hard thats just sad, because any final fantasy gamer would tell you, you are dead wrong, and people who actually grew up playing Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy.

That doesn't make the hard, since you don't like it. You aren't making opinions anymore your just bashing and ranting... sadly...

And i'm pretty sure this game is catered to people who like Classic J-RPG games since this game is getting excelent reviews from Japan and guess what this review is only 1, we still haven't seen any other reviews alot of america still hasn't played this game.

And people i have known said this game is good and balanced well.

and suprisingly this is the only review i have ever seen that doesn't average the score. which doesn't make sense at all...

Also the soundtrack is perfectly fine in my opinion, saying you want more is purely your own opinion. Do people say there wasn't enough music in Mario? that there isn't enough music in Metal Gear Solid? and say Oh the remake doesn't have enough Music in it when overall most or all of the music is usually the same?

Actually the funny thing is i'm reading other reviews and there saying the pace and gameplay is balanced.
Maybe the Reviewer hasn't played the harder J-RPG's out there.

And i for one don't beleive a person that calls FFIII a rediculous hard gameplay as one of it's con's. and a person who says that through alot of my j-RPG experience probably hasn't played many J-RPG's.

Not only that, the Job System i heard can make things difficult which probably the reviewer couldn't grasp the right combinations to master.

Anyways i haven't played it myself but i read alot of things about it and i played tons of other Final Fantasy games and so far, it's Looks like Another good Final Fantasy game that is more challenging then other games and is more innovative since you can mix job's around and Combo.

So honestly i really don't know how a gamer doesn't like a good challenge once in a while... it's like giving Contra a Low score because it's too hard.

Also when the Reviewer said this
The turn system only aggravates the issue. You issue orders to all four of your characters at the same time. The character's speed stat is then used to determine who goes first. This means that whether or not you can heal your party (healing is effectively required every turn in boss battles) before a boss gets his lethal strike off is just a matter of luck. Should a character die and you have to resurrect him, the battle turns into a game of whack-a-mole, with you reviving one character just as another is taken out. In most RPGs, you can level up if a boss is giving you trouble, and while this is a possibility in FF III, it doesn't do a whole lot of good. How much damage you deal and take is determined more by equipment than by level. There are many places in the game where the next best armor and weapons are available only after you take out a boss. This asinine system results in you having to fight boss battles repeatedly until you get lucky and actually win. As victory in battle is a result of being lucky rather than work or skill, it saps away a good chunk of the rewarding feelings you would normally have from beating the boss.

this already tells me that he doesn't know how to play the game well,  this is telling me that he doesn't know how to play the game very well. This also applies to games like Final Fantasy VI which is quite hard, at some times, but alot of times it isn't Victory, the reveiwer might think it is Lucky but it's all skills, for the problem also not only in equipment but also Leveling, nowhere have i ever read that You need a Certain Weapon to beat the game unless it's part of the story in any J-RPG game. Saying when your charachter dies and Right after you revive him, your other charachter dies, this thing basically happens in EVERY SINGLE J-RPG OUT THERE!
I think leveling up does do a whole lot of good, we don't even know how much to an extent the reviewer made to lvl up. Because from what i'm hearing this is like Any other J-RPG game from other people where you just need to keep on lvling up to beat a certain boss, the reviewer doesn't even mention the "abilities of the jobs"

Nor does the reviewer even mention the "Multi Hits" warrior class gets in later lvl's that outdamage other charachters in Melee Damage nor does he mention the Dual Wielding or Any other abilities, he just mentions Oh the game is hard because my Warrior Dishes out the same amount of damage and Heavily requires on Equipment? I also think he forgot to mention the Skills, which also can help dish out more damage then regular physcial attacks...

Also he doesn't even mention that The more YOU LVL UP THE MORE AMOUNT OF TIMES YOU CAN USE A CERTAIN SKILL!
Using Skills is a Huge Deal!
Not only that You have to EQUIP Magic! and you can only equip up to a certain amount, so for a Black Mage you would have to Equip the Right Type to Defeat the Boss easier, and try to find which magic it's the weakest too!
it just seems like All he did was test out Physical Damage of All classes!

Seriously J-RPG's alot of times do Require Equipment alot of times to dish out more damage... so I don't see the complaint, and yes alot of J-RPG's are linear like this one and you can't get Certain Items unless you Beat a certain Boss.

Usually if you can't beat the boss you just need to lvl up more, i doubt the reviewer even tried seeing how as Tons of other people could beat it and it's NOT OUT OF LUCK! J-RPG games are never about luck! they were about Skill and planning out what to do before hand Before going into battle. and you get to Think ahead of Time what to do.

I've never read any reviewer who said Turn Based Battles are based on luck because you can't heal fast enough just sounds like he has NEVER played a J-RPG in his life!    

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2006, 10:08:18 PM »
Failed to do what? Square was about to go bankrupt until Final Fantasy came along!

Failed to improve upon the NES game they released back then. I don't think Square-Enix was about to go bankrupt until FF3DS came out.

Horribly Overpowered? wtf? no, they weren't, you just needed to battle alot more, i beat Final Fantasy pretty easily.

Overpowered in relation to the dungeon they're in. The review clearly says that powerlevelling would be very slow since it's very equipment based. Requiring the player to grind for hours in every dungeon jut to be able to beat the boss is horrible game design and inexcusable, especially if the normal enemies don't pose a challenge anyway.

And if anybody calls FFX Hard thats just sad, because any final fantasy gamer would tell you, you are dead wrong, and people who actually grew up playing Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy.

You may have missed the sarcasm (was that really sarcasm or was it some other form of speech?) I used to convey that the game is just so horribly boring and repetitive that it's hard to find the willpower to continue.

and suprisingly this is the only review i have ever seen that doesn't average the score. which doesn't make sense at all...

WTF, why would they average the score? If the game's no fun to play perfect scores for graphics shouldn't pull up the score, neither should bad graphics or sound diminish the scores of awesome games. No game's overall value is just the unweighted average of its components.

And i for one don't beleive a person that calls FFIII a rediculous hard gameplay as one of it's con's. and a person who says that through alot of my j-RPG experience probably hasn't played many J-RPG's.

That's why there's a review text explaining that only the bosses are difficult, not the regular enemies.

Not only that, the Job System i heard can make things difficult which probably the reviewer couldn't grasp the right combinations to master.

Forcing people to min/max is bad balancing.

this already tells me that he doesn't know how to play the game well, this is telling me that he doesn't know how to play the game very well. This also applies to games like Final Fantasy VI which is quite hard, at some times, but alot of times it isn't Victory, the reveiwer might think it is Lucky but it's all skills, for the problem also not only in equipment but also Leveling, nowhere have i ever read that You need a Certain Weapon to beat the game unless it's part of the story in any J-RPG game. Saying when your charachter dies and Right after you revive him, your other charachter dies, this thing basically happens in EVERY SINGLE J-RPG OUT THERE!

How is that not being able to play the game right? Having bosses capable of killing one of your characters in one turn (not one attack but the interval between player interactions) is very frustrating and should reduce the score.

Nor does the reviewer even mention the "Multi Hits" warrior class gets in later lvl's that outdamage other charachters in Melee Damage nor does he mention the Dual Wielding or Any other abilities, he just mentions Oh the game is hard because my Warrior Dishes out the same amount of damage and Heavily requires on Equipment? I also think he forgot to mention the Skills, which also can help dish out more damage then regular physcial attacks...

Also he doesn't even mention that The more YOU LVL UP THE MORE AMOUNT OF TIMES YOU CAN USE A CERTAIN SKILL!
Not only that You have to EQUIP Magic! and you can only equip up to a certain amount, so for a Black Mage you would have to Equip the Right Type to Defeat the Boss easier, and try to find which magic it's the weakest too!

Or maybe he was writing a review instead of a manual and as such decided against going into such minutiae?

Seriously J-RPG's alot of times do Require Equipment alot of times to dish out more damage... so I don't see the complaint, and yes alot of J-RPG's are linear like this one and you can't get Certain Items unless you Beat a certain Boss.

That wasn't his point.

Usually if you can't beat the boss you just need to lvl up more, i doubt the reviewer even tried seeing how as Tons of other people could beat it and it's NOT OUT OF LUCK! J-RPG games are never about luck! they were about Skill and planning out what to do before hand Before going into battle. and you get to Think ahead of Time what to do.

How's it skill to repeatedly kill weak monsters just so your level increases?

I've never read any reviewer who said Turn Based Battles are based on luck because you can't heal fast enough just sounds like he has NEVER played a J-RPG in his life!

Maybe because he didn't say that ALL games are like that, just this one?

And in conclusion:

Doesn't stack up to modern games? yes it does, it stacks up to people who like throwbacks and classic J-RPG games, IF YOU DON'T LIKE CLASSIC J-RPG's you aren't going to like this game.

Well yes but this review is for people who like modern games or modern RPGs, not the few people who like "classic" jRPGs. If you enjoy syour gams like that, feel free to buy it but the rest of the world deserves a fair warning that this game isn'T suitable for anyone outside of a small core demographic.

Offline fireyhope

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2006, 04:17:34 PM »

Offline fireyhope

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2006, 04:18:48 PM »

Failed to improve upon the NES game they released back then. I don't think Square-Enix was about to go bankrupt until FF3DS came out.

Overpowered in relation to the dungeon they're in. The review clearly says that powerlevelling would be very slow since it's very equipment based. Requiring the player to grind for hours in every dungeon jut to be able to beat the boss is horrible game design and inexcusable, especially if the normal enemies don't pose a challenge anyway.

You may have missed the sarcasm (was that really sarcasm or was it some other form of speech?) I used to convey that the game is just so horribly boring and repetitive that it's hard to find the willpower to continue.

WTF, why would they average the score? If the game's no fun to play perfect scores for graphics shouldn't pull up the score, neither should bad graphics or sound diminish the scores of awesome games. No game's overall value is just the unweighted average of its components.

That's why there's a review text explaining that only the bosses are difficult, not the regular enemies.

Forcing people to min/max is bad balancing.

this already tells me that he doesn't know how to play the game well, this is telling me that he doesn't know how to play the game very well. This also applies to games like Final Fantasy VI which is quite hard, at some times, but alot of times it isn't Victory, the reveiwer might think it is Lucky but it's all skills, for the problem also not only in equipment but also Leveling, nowhere have i ever read that You need a Certain Weapon to beat the game unless it's part of the story in any J-RPG game. Saying when your charachter dies and Right after you revive him, your other charachter dies, this thing basically happens in EVERY SINGLE J-RPG OUT THERE!

How is that not being able to play the game right? Having bosses capable of killing one of your characters in one turn (not one attack but the interval between player interactions) is very frustrating and should reduce the score.

Or maybe he was writing a review instead of a manual and as such decided against going into such minutiae?

That wasn't his point.

How's it skill to repeatedly kill weak monsters just so your level increases?

Maybe because he didn't say that ALL games are like that, just this one?

And in conclusion:

Well yes but this review is for people who like modern games or modern RPGs, not the few people who like "classic" jRPGs. If you enjoy syour gams like that, feel free to buy it but the rest of the world deserves a fair warning that this game isn'T suitable for anyone outside of a small core demographic.

BTW i was talking about Final Fantasy and how that game helped Squaresoft... notice i didn't put the III in front of the Final Fantasy.

Failed to Improve what? The Music is perfect, you don't need to add more music into a game when it already has solid music! thats like Saying Metal Gear Solid Twin Snakes DOESN'T have enough music...
Anyways Improve on what? Story? they wanted to keep to the original, obviously alot of people In japan Enjoyed the original, and in actuality they did Improve alot on FFIII while not making it too different.

They Kept to the same story, but different dialogue and Names for charachters.
And seriously i don't know what he found wrong with the story, since i read it and alot of other people liked it too.
anyways, i don't think he even talks too much about anything in the game all he says is his opinion, and he doesn't even go in depth to why it was bad story wise, he just takes this one comedic part and says hey it's not funny... But OMG this is just one reviewer who doesn't get Some typical Japanese and Or Final Fantasy Jokes.
hell even Hideo Kojima add's some odd Japanese Humor in his Games once in a While and everybody got it.

Few People? you'll be suprised to see how many people love Classic J-RPG games, i remember the old school FF Ports that did well on the PSone. That sold very well, outside a small demographic?
And what about Dragon Quest VIII? that game was done very well, and it's considered a throwback to Classic RPG style! and guess what that game did extremely well! it show's that there is still alot of people that like Classic Japanese RPG style gameplay!

I think alot of J-RPG players are going to like this game! too bad you don't! you don't even seem to like FFX sadly...
Anyways obviously you even haven't played it, i haven't played it but the fact is that this review is not a good review and it just seems like the person who wrote it is bored of J-RPG's or just doesn't like Dungeon Crawlers in General.

Yes that was his point, he is saying that you Need Equipment but the Equipment isn't powerfull enough, For all we know He didn't get the right type of Equipment or didn't even Face the Boss with his Skills that he uses.

Forcing people to Minimum/Max Balancing is bad Gameplay?
LOL! then every single Japanese RPG out there must be Horrible!

and Obviously if he can't kill the Boss he himself needs to lvl up, because obviously this is the first reviewer i have known to even COMPLAIN about Bosses killing them in one hit. Because i guess those reviewers are smarter and know how to play Harder Japanese RPG games out there and understand that you need to be a higher lvl!

No the reviewer NEVER said those things that saying Power Leveling would be slow!
If it is slow then you are not playing the game correctly or not fighting the right monsters.

If Gameplay is the most important then you should only score the gameplay, You shouldn't score the sound and or graphics. It just doesn't make sense to the overall average score. If you do not do average then you should just Score on Gameplay nothing else.

And Since the other numbers don't count then why did gameplay get a 5.0 while the final score gets 6.5? The Numbers do not make sense.

Going Against what Manual? YOU NEED TO USE SKILLS IN ORDER TO DEFEAT BOSSES! The reviewer doesn't even talk about USING Skills OR WHAT TYPE OF PARTY HE MADE!
For all We know he USED a crappy party! he doesn't even talk about a Black Mage which is ONE OF THE MOST DAMAGING CLASSES OUT OF EVERY SINGLE FINAL FANTASY CLASS!

For all we know all he used where Physical Damage!

"How's it skill to repeatedly kill weak monsters just so your level increases?"

You can say this for about every single Japanese RPG out there.

how's it skill? it isn't if you keep on killing weak monsters, your level isn't going to increase faster, therefore you find harder monsters to kill.    

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2006, 11:20:46 PM »
BTW i was talking about Final Fantasy and how that game helped Squaresoft... notice i didn't put the III in front of the Final Fantasy.

Yes but this thread is about FF3 and FF3 only. He didn't rate FF1-6, he rated FF3.

Failed to Improve what?

Gameplay. Music variety. Pretty much everything that's wrong about this remake.

And seriously i don't know what he found wrong with the story, since i read it and alot of other people liked it too.

He said it's too much like the 08/15 standard RPG story and that the added dialogue just hurts the story because it's so bad.

I think alot of J-RPG players are going to like this game! too bad you don't! you don't even seem to like FFX sadly...

Yeah I'm sorry I enjoy games that are fun to play and don't have areas consisting of one long path with random encounters every five steps that take about an hour to get through even if you run from every encounter combined with a combat system where every enemy has a VERY simple tactic to be defeated easily and battle is just matching each enemy to the character in your party that beats him. That's just boring to play.

Anyways obviously you even haven't played it, i haven't played it but the fact is that this review is not a good review and it just seems like the person who wrote it is bored of J-RPG's or just doesn't like Dungeon Crawlers in General.

"You haven't played it! Well, I haven't played it either but YOU'RE WRONG!"
I like dungeon crawlers provided they don't get repetitive. Unfortunately most of them fail that condition.

There's a difference between allowing it and making it necessary for progrssing.

and Obviously if he can't kill the Boss he himself needs to lvl up, because obviously this is the first reviewer i have known to even COMPLAIN about Bosses killing them in one hit. Because i guess those reviewers are smarter and know how to play Harder Japanese RPG games out there and understand that you need to be a higher lvl!

He said he tried just that but didn't have much success. And he didn't say bosses kill him in one hit but if there's an unlucky combination of attacks (since the boss can strike multiple times) he can lose a critical member of his party between two player interactions. I'd guess that's the fault of the battle system forcing you to give out all orders beforehand so you can't change targets for a healing spell/item if another character is hit before your healer's turn.

And Since the other numbers don't count then why did gameplay get a 5.0 while the final score gets 6.5? The Numbers do not make sense.

Because he found the overall package to be slightly more enjoyable?

Going Against what Manual? YOU NEED TO USE SKILLS IN ORDER TO DEFEAT BOSSES! The reviewer doesn't even talk about USING Skills OR WHAT TYPE OF PARTY HE MADE!
For all We know he USED a crappy party! he doesn't even talk about a Black Mage which is ONE OF THE MOST DAMAGING CLASSES OUT OF EVERY SINGLE FINAL FANTASY CLASS!

Yes but why does he need to write about that in the review? It's a review, not a manual or strategy guide.

how's it skill? it isn't if you keep on killing weak monsters, your level isn't going to increase faster, therefore you find harder monsters to kill.

He said this:
Most of the enemies you encounter will not be that difficult. There are a few annoying enemies that will replicate themselves if you cannot kill them in one hit, but this is more of an annoyance than a problem. The normal enemies are deceptively easy; the bosses are where the real problem lies.

Now where do you take those stronger monsters from?

Offline fireyhope

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2006, 12:18:08 AM »

Yes but this thread is about FF3 and FF3 only. He didn't rate FF1-6, he rated FF3.

Failed to Improve what?

Gameplay. Music variety. Pretty much everything that's wrong about this remake.

He said it's too much like the 08/15 standard RPG story and that the added dialogue just hurts the story because it's so bad.

Yeah I'm sorry I enjoy games that are fun to play and don't have areas consisting of one long path with random encounters every five steps that take about an hour to get through even if you run from every encounter combined with a combat system where every enemy has a VERY simple tactic to be defeated easily and battle is just matching each enemy to the character in your party that beats him. That's just boring to play.

"You haven't played it! Well, I haven't played it either but YOU'RE WRONG!"
I like dungeon crawlers provided they don't get repetitive. Unfortunately most of them fail that condition.

There's a difference between allowing it and making it necessary for progrssing.

He said he tried just that but didn't have much success. And he didn't say bosses kill him in one hit but if there's an unlucky combination of attacks (since the boss can strike multiple times) he can lose a critical member of his party between two player interactions. I'd guess that's the fault of the battle system forcing you to give out all orders beforehand so you can't change targets for a healing spell/item if another character is hit before your healer's turn.

Because he found the overall package to be slightly more enjoyable?

Yes but why does he need to write about that in the review? It's a review, not a manual or strategy guide.

He said this:
Most of the enemies you encounter will not be that difficult. There are a few annoying enemies that will replicate themselves if you cannot kill them in one hit, but this is more of an annoyance than a problem. The normal enemies are deceptively easy; the bosses are where the real problem lies.

Now where do you take those stronger monsters from?

No because you don't need to improve on something thats not broken
I disagree, i read some of the Dialogue it was awesome

Sorry then i guess you don't like Japanese RPG's much then

No the reviewer just sounds like he hates Dungeon Crawlers and J-RPG's for the sole fact that he doesn't even get into detail about the game.

Nescessary for gameplay duh! Of course it's going to be nescessary

No it's not the fault of the Battle System, the Battle System is the perfect Battle System they used Before FFVII which is the same they used for FF-1-IV, there is no faulty battle system here, it's just he is too weak to fight the boss as i keep on mentioning, and there are always items Pheonix's down so you don't always have to rely on your White Mage. Thats why you have to plan ahead, OF COURSE you don't know which charachter To heal First, which is basically what he is saying since it does take time for Cure To cast, he has to be carefull How he uses the skill it's not the Battle System's Fault, it's how he played which is exactly my point.
If he dies often, he should lvl up more as i say, and get a certain lvl so he can get powerfull enough to beat a boss with certain Skills he can acquire in lvling up.

I'm saying you yourself can find Harder Monsters to LVL up to Fight The Boss Monsters!

He need to write it in his review so we know how he himself played the game, For all we know he is basing his own facts about the game by using Physical Damage, and we don't know if the person even used the right certain kinds of skills to defeat the bosses.

If you played any of the other newer Final Fantasy games you'll know they are pathetically easy.

Because he Found the Overall Package more enjoyable? how is that possible when The "most" important one is gameplay?
So all in all The Graphics, Sound, and Every other score Doesn't matter because all that matters is Gameplay.
So it's overall pointless to score the other things.

Well i guess you do see my point, as in Fact that FFX is waaay to easy and so is FFVII- Through X-2
and regardless, you yourself haven't even studied anything else but this review sadly, since his review is poorly written and doesn't explain much about gameplay, nor music.

And guess what i HAVE THE ORIGINAL FINAL FANTASY III OST and there are 44 tracks on it, how the hell can one say 44 tracks = not enough? escpecially for the NES era?
FFIV has the same amount of OST tracks, i don't hear anybody complaining about that!
Even the MEGAMAN games didn't have that many OST scores wtf!

and overall i feel the reviewer of the game was expecting some groundbreaking game for the DS.

and tell me... what other DS game features over 43 OST's? Besides Band of Brothers since that game is nothing but Midi's...

where talking about Revamped OST's Revamped 43 OST's for the NINTENDO DS!
wow~! name one other game that has that many Original OST's that sound this good?

Even MARIO 64's OST's only had 36!

i'm not even sure the reviewer even played through the whole game anymore!

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2006, 06:12:55 AM »
No it's not the fault of the Battle System, the Battle System is the perfect Battle System they used Before FFVII which is the same they used for FF-1-IV,

Did it occur to you that many people may not consider that "perfect"?

If he dies often, he should lvl up more as i say, and get a certain lvl so he can get powerfull enough to beat a boss with certain Skills he can acquire in lvling up.

Or he can deduct points because the regular enemies don't leave any clue how powerful you need to be to take on the boss or if you do enough to beat each boss easily the regular enemies pose no challenge. Both are reasons to lower the score.

I'm saying you yourself can find Harder Monsters to LVL up to Fight The Boss Monsters!

How? The monsters are much weaker than the boss, remember? That was the whole complaint about the gameplay.

He need to write it in his review so we know how he himself played the game, For all we know he is basing his own facts about the game by using Physical Damage, and we don't know if the person even used the right certain kinds of skills to defeat the bosses.

I disagree, noone wants to know that.

Because he Found the Overall Package more enjoyable? how is that possible when The "most" important one is gameplay?

You may notice that the score is only minimally better than the gameplay score.

And guess what i HAVE THE ORIGINAL FINAL FANTASY III OST and there are 44 tracks on it, how the hell can one say 44 tracks = not enough? escpecially for the NES era?

Perhaps there are way too many sections using the same track, especially sections that follow each other?

Offline fireyhope

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 06, 2006, 05:29:47 PM »

No it's not the fault of the Battle System, the Battle System is the perfect Battle System they used Before FFVII which is the same they used for FF-1-IV,

Did it occur to you that many people may not consider that "perfect"?

Or he can deduct points because the regular enemies don't leave any clue how powerful you need to be to take on the boss or if you do enough to beat each boss easily the regular enemies pose no challenge. Both are reasons to lower the score.

How? The monsters are much weaker than the boss, remember? That was the whole complaint about the gameplay.

I disagree, noone wants to know that.

You may notice that the score is only minimally better than the gameplay score.

Perhaps there are way too many sections using the same track, especially sections that follow each other?

No it's pretty damn perfect! theres a reason why Dragon Quest and Many other J-RPG games use the same battle system as Final Fantasy.
and or Close to perfect

anyways it doesn't make sense to deduct points because you don't know how powerfull it is for a fact

You can Usually Save before the boss battle, and if i remember correctly you can save anywhere.

if he deducts points for not knowing what lvl the boss is then by All means this happens in ALL J-RPG games!
OF COURSE YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT LVL THE MONSTERS ARE AND OR BOSS MONSTER LVL's ARE!

You are suppose to FIND OUT YOURSELF, through Scan or Save then Fight the boss monster to see what it's capable of!

you are suppose to lvl up until you are content with fighting the boss monster and if you die, it's your own fault.

and downing points because Regular Monsters are too easy? holy bajeezus, it doesn't make sense, since MOST regular monsters in most RPG games are also quite easy and don't really pose much of a challenge.

Even in Dragon Quest VIII the Normal Monsters of Lower Lvled became easier!

No one wants to know that? Well ALOT OF PEOPLE DO! and for a matter of fact I DO, and To Clear things up once more, all HE WAS USING WAS PHYSICAL DAMAGE, he Again didn't use Skills, Skills= IMPORTANT FACTOR IS DAMAGE.
and each different class has that

Waaay too many section's? That use the same score? No i played the original FFIII and he is wrong in this state and if you talk to many other people they will Laugh at you.

Do you hear Chocobo Music in Battle Mode? and most of the towns have different music in them  

Offline Myxtika1 Azn

• The Master of the Fists
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 07, 2006, 12:16:00 AM »
Is it really necessary to quote the entire post that you're responding to, when said post is directly above yours??  Damn, that is annoying.  If you were doing a point-by-point rebuttal, I'd understand, but you're not.  Nested quotes are annoying as hell as well, but I digress....

Anyways, I agree with KDR about the "not wanting to know how he played" thing.  This is a review, not a strategy guide.

And the part about needing to input all commands at once?  You brought up Final Fantasy VI at this point.  Well, I just wanted to say that you do NOT have to input everybody's command at once.  There is a guage that shows you when a character's next turn to attack is.  Same with FF IV.

In all of the FF games that I've played (FF1 nes, FF1 & 2 GBA, Mystiq Quest - LOL -, FFII & III snes), the only time that you can save anywhere is in the Overworld.  You can do no such thing in a dungeon, cave, town, or castle.

And you think that the battle system is "perfect"?  Maybe it is for you, but I would take the battle systems of Grandia, the Tales games, the Paper Marios, and the handheld Mario RPGs over it any day of the week.  I also like Dragon Quest VIII's, because that series has a very special place in my heart. ::sniff:: The only FF battle system worth mentioning now is the one from FF VI, and that's only because of Sabin.

No one wants to know that? Well ALOT OF PEOPLE DO! and for a matter of fact I DO, and To Clear things up once more, all HE WAS USING WAS PHYSICAL DAMAGE, he Again didn't use Skills, Skills= IMPORTANT FACTOR IS DAMAGE.
and each different class has that

Oh really? And how did you find that out?  And what are these skills that you are talking about?  Is it like magic or something?  Because, I seriously think that it is rather foolish to assume that a person would not use any magic to fight their battles with.  The reviewer finished the game, did he not?  Do you really think that it's possible to do so with just "PHYSICAL DAMAGE"?

Have you played the Final Fantasy IV GBA remake?  Did you noticed how broken the battles were?  Did you notice when the enemies would attack you 2-3 times before you can?  That didn't happen when it was released as FF II for the SNES.  The remake was buggy as hell.  Maybe that's what happened to this remake.  Perhaps it was rushed and the developers couldn't get all the bugs out.

About the scores on the FFIII OST.  Were any of them remixes? If so, how many?  Eh, I don't really care.  The only FF music I care to listen to are from FF IV and VI.

Also, there indeed was NOT enough music in the Twin Snakes remake.  They took out "Enclosure", the music that plays after you fight Sniper Wolf.  That was the best music in the game and I was really looking forward to it after I defeated her.  All I got was the sound of the wind.  Boo-urns.  
500 years ago, I shook the Pillars of Heaven.  Why should I fear a runt like you?

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #49 on: October 07, 2006, 12:18:51 AM »

Is it really necessary to quote the entire post that you're responding to, when said post is directly above yours?? Damn, that is annoying. If you were doing a point-by-point rebuttal, I'd understand, but you're not.

Anyways, I agree with KDR about the "not wanting to know how he played" thing. This is a review, not a strategy guide.

And the part about needing to input all commands at once? You brought up Final Fantasy VI at this point. Well, I just wanted to say that you do NOT have to input everybody's command at once. There is a guage that shows you when a character's next turn to attack is. Same with FF IV.

In all of the FF games that I've played (FF1 nes, FF1 & 2 GBA, Mystiq Quest - LOL -, FFII & III snes), the only time that you can save anywhere is in the Overworld. You can do no such thing in a dungeon, cave, town, or castle.

And you think that the battle system is "perfect"? Maybe it is for you, but I would take the battle systems of Grandia, the Tales games, the Paper Marios, and the handheld Mario RPGs over it any day of the week. I also like Dragon Quest VIII's, because that series has a very special place in my heart. ::sniff:: The only FF battle system worth mentioning now is the one from FF VI, and that's only because of Sabin.

and each different class has that[/qoute]

Oh really? And how did you find that out? And what are these skills that you are talking about? Is it like magic or something? Because, I seriously think that it is rather foolish to assume that a person would not use any magic to fight their battles with. The reviewer finished the game, did he not? Do you really think that it's possible to do so with just "PHYSICAL DAMAGE"?

Have you played the Final Fantasy IV GBA remake? Did you noticed how broken the battles were? Did you notice when the enemies would attack you 2-3 times before you can? That didn't happen when it was released as FF II for the SNES. The remake was buggy as hell. Maybe that's what happened to this remake. Perhaps it was rushed and the developers couldn't get all the bugs out.

About the scores on the FFIII OST. Were any of them remixes? If so, how many? Eh, I don't really care. The only FF music I care to listen to are from FF IV and VI.

Also, there indeed was NOT enough music in the Twin Snakes remake. They took out "Enclosure", the music that plays after you fight Sniper Wolf. That was the best music in the game and I was really looking forward to it after I defeated her. All I got was the sound of the wind. Boo-urns.

In answer to your first question, I think it is generally necessary, yes.
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon