Author Topic: Mafia 83: F-Zero Strapped for Crash! [PODIUM CEREMONY]  (Read 9385 times)

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
Mafia 83: F-Zero Strapped for Crash! [PODIUM CEREMONY]
« on: December 22, 2019, 10:52:15 AM »
Story
Well, that didn't take long! Granted, Phantom Road is a tricky circuit with lots of unguarded corners to be pushed off... Long-standing F-Zero bandit Samurai Goroh took a tumble straight down the very first chicane, after tripping over a randomly generated banana peel...

MAFIA VICTORY!
That Baby Guy and Mop It Up suffered an early setback and even had to ruthlessly sacrifice a fellow Mafia Member to clinch it, but in the end they steamrolled over the competition! Congratulations!

Here's who everyone was:
1. Pokepal148 was Townie Detective. Escaped death twice, killed during Night 5.
2. Khushrenada was Townie Cupid, and joined Stratos & Stevey on his first night. Served as Race Leader for a while, too. Killed on Night 3 by Mafia.
3. BeautifulShy was the Risky Driver and kept the Race Leader title firmly in the Townie camp. She was killed on Night 1, took a lucky guess, and resurrected Pokepal from death while going out.
4. Lolmonade was the Townie Doctor.
5. MASB was Mafia Goon #3, killed by the very first Townie Vote.
6. Nickmitch was a Normal Townie, the last one to perish on Day 7.
7. NRW_Insanolord was the Rogue Mafia Goon, but never used this power. Killed on Night 5 through Townie Vote.
8. Stevey started as Normal Townie, was hit by Cupid's Arrow. Died when voted out.
9. Stratos  started as Normal Townie, was hit by Cupid's Arrow. Died when voted out.
10. Mr. Bungle was a Normal Townie, killed by Mafia hit on Night 6.
11. Shyguy was a Normal Townie, voted out on Day 2.
12. Mop It Up was Mafia Goon #2 and survives to this day!
13. Backwards Flying Dragons was the Mafia Godfather & survives to this day!
14. Lucario was the Killer. Voted out on Day 3.

Thanks for playing everyone!

P.S.: Please fill out this form to give some feedback, if you want!
« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 11:52:44 AM by Steefosaurus »

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia 83: F-Zero Strapped for Crash! [PODIUM CEREMONY]
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2019, 10:55:54 AM »
The craziest part about all of this is that I never even signed up.

Edit:  I have been told every time I'm mafia and Mop it up is mafia, I vote for her. Whoops!

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2019, 11:07:42 AM »
Well that was a fast and fun game even though I died in the first night.   

I sent these guesses to steefosaurus on the 18th on who I thought Mafia was. Thatguy- Godfather,Mop it up- Mafia #2, Mr. Bungle- Reluctant Mafia Member.  I was pretty spot in aside from Mr. Bungle.  I figured this much from all the players that voted for me in the Race Leader poll on the first day.   Mop it up, Insanolord and Mr. Bungle said they voted for me in the Race Leader poll and I felt like this was to make me make a difficult decision on who Mafia might be that early in the game and I did waver once but it was to Mop it up and thatguy was voting for her as well so I am sure thatguy had a plan if Mop it up was voted out instead of MASB and maybe it would of been me that was being whispered vote possibilities from thatguy instead of pokepal.

I also questioned if I should of revived pokepal that first night instead of killing Mop it up and letting the townies figure things out instead of play Follow the Investigator throughout the game and maybe with pokepal dead thatguy couldn't of led the investigator to false options in searches.

Oh well fun game and I will be posting a signup thread for my new game sometime today and I will have it run through the holidays.  It is going to be Mafia 84: Resident Evil: Code Veronica Pain(or something like that.)  Basically it is going to be a branch off of the main Mafia game series and the Remastered game will come later on when I figure things out more for that game.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 12:37:12 PM by BeautifulShy »
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2019, 11:12:59 AM »
The craziest part about all of this is that I never even signed up.

Edit:  I have been told every time I'm mafia and Mop it up is mafia, I vote for her. Whoops!
You have done that every time. Both Phoenix Wright games and this one come to mind.  Maybe stop that because one of these days people are going to notice. :P
Alexis, she/her/Miss

I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2019, 11:15:27 AM »
I guess the only other question I have for this game is how did the Reluctant Mafia member work? Can they create a hit where there is none or is it only used when there is a hit sent in Steefosaurus?
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2019, 11:59:33 AM »
Hey everyone, I've made a quick survey (~12 questions) through which you can send in anonymous feedback. Hope you'll take a minute to respond, but I understand if it's too busy with holidays soon.

I guess the only other question I have for this game is how did the Reluctant Mafia member work? Can they create a hit where there is none or is it only used when there is a hit sent in Steefosaurus?

My idea of the role was to only change a hit in case the Godfather sent in a target. However, I have to concede that the wording was too vague and also allowed for the interpretation that a change from "nobody" to "somebody" would still technically be a 'changing target'.

Thus, I would have allowed such a situation too.

The role largely existed as an extra vector through which the Couple could win. If the Rogue Mafia Member was part of the Couple, they could attack fellow Mafia members from within. Conversely, if the Godfather was Coupled up and began killing Mafia Members, the Mafia had this role as a fallback.
The 50% chance of passing on the trait facilitates strategies in which Coupled Mafia members work with Townies to vote out a Mafia member and hoping to extend their moveset that way.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2019, 12:44:36 PM »
Thanks for hosting the game, Steefosaurus! I believe this is your first time hosting if I remember correctly, and overall I think you did a good job setting things up. You seemed to stick to the schedule pretty well and get each day going, and made things easier by having the player list available, and trying to be as clear as you can with things.

Now, I don't mean to sound unappreciative, as I know it takes a lot of work to host these things, and there's a lot of stuff of which to keep track. But I do have some things I didn't like that I feel I should mention.

-I'm sure you were just trying to be nice, but, the voting deadline shouldn't be extended upon request. Deadlines are dealines, if we can't sort things out in the 48 hours before that, it's on us.
-Since Pokepal148 didn't actually get killed, then I think his role should not have been announced in the day thread.
-I know that you were trying to be accommodating, but I think ThePerm shouldn't have been brought into the game on day 2. This gave the townie side not just a confirmed townie, but one with a way of protecting himself at least once, which is a powerful asset for the townies to have. If you'd like to get more players to join your game, then I suggest to run the sign-up period for longer.

I'm honestly surprised we won this game with all this going on, although I suspect the main reason for that was so many players being inactive.

that playing as a Townie or non-powered role can be quite boring
Funnily enough, this is my fave role to get! It's fun to try to piece things together from the starting point of knowing nothing. Or at least, it was, back when people actually participated in these games...

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2019, 01:25:33 PM »
I was beginning to suspect I was getting double crossed but I felt like it was too late at that point to do anything but go forward with the current course of action and hope for the best.

Well played all.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2019, 01:41:03 PM »
I was beginning to suspect I was getting double crossed but I felt like it was too late at that point to do anything but go forward with the current course of action and hope for the best.

Well played all.

I'm curious as to if anything of your searches resulted in finding anyone other than townie or killer?
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2019, 01:42:33 PM »
-I'm sure you were just trying to be nice, but, the voting deadline shouldn't be extended upon request. Deadlines are dealines, if we can't sort things out in the 48 hours before that, it's on us.
-Since Pokepal148 didn't actually get killed, then I think his role should not have been announced in the day thread.
-I know that you were trying to be accommodating, but I think ThePerm shouldn't have been brought into the game on day 2. This gave the townie side not just a confirmed townie, but one with a way of protecting himself at least once, which is a powerful asset for the townies to have. If you'd like to get more players to join your game, then I suggest to run the sign-up period for longer.

Thanks for the feedback!
Regarding Pokepal, the crucial difference I felt was because he died and the Risky Driver can only resurrect, it's not a protection like the Doctor provides. There was never going to be a situation where the Risky Driver could resurrect an anonymous player, because I had explicitly said that roles would be revealed upon death. Did I paint myself in a corner there; maybe yeah, it basically forced me to out his role.
To be honest I was hoping the Risky Driver role would survive a bit longer into the game, since it both incentivises activity in the Dead Thread, as well as posing a risk to the Mafia.

I'm honestly surprised we won this game with all this going on, although I suspect the main reason for that was so many players being inactive.

Not sure I fully agree, since the several outed players also allowed the Mafia an easy way into the Townie alliance. Note that the Townies made very few successful plays: the voting out of MASB gave an early head-start, and the deduction about Lucario's identity was inspired, but otherwise they identified just a single mafia member before it was already over. The Doctor made just a single successful save, too.

After Day 1 I was afraid I had overbalanced in favour of the Townies because BeautifulShy put in a blistering first day, but from Day 3 onwards it was already pretty clear the Townies were fast running out of runway.

Funnily enough, [townie] is my fave role to get! It's fun to try to piece things together from the starting point of knowing nothing. Or at least, it was, back when people actually participated in these games...

Yeah, activity is a tough one to crack because the setup of the game essentially punishes posting in the threads. You're often at less of a risk by only sticking to PMs or just flat-out doing nothing. This time around I think ShyGuy caught the bulk of that, along with BeautifulShy.

I think BeautifulShy's previous game had fairly elegant solutions for this with the 3-day-post rule as well as roles like the Encryptor who could post anonymous messages in the thread. I might crib from those in a future game.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2019, 02:01:06 PM »
Possibly ironic, but now that I actually survived past day one in a game, this is one of those games where I wish I hadn't!

I don't think Lucario was investigated, but we actually guessed that Lucario was killer from the day 1 hit. I believe thatguy even reached out to him at one point since this was the sort of game where we could use the extra hits, but the time zone difference made that difficult.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2019, 02:09:13 PM »
Gonna post some of the thoughts I had after I died and throughout the game.

After I was notified  that pokepal died along with me I felt partially responsible because like a fool I told Mop it up their role in an effort to save pokepal in the vote on the first day.  It also caused the Mafia to target pokepal if they wanted them gone. I also felt like because of my foolish mistake that I had to revive pokepal.  I also figured with Khushrenada, pokepal, and The Perm the game could of gone in a good direction for the townies. Investigator, Cupid, Confirmed townie with a bumper could get things going.  That is a good trio of players.  I also felt that the Cupid role could be used in two ways.  Pair two players together and with that pair you could use investigatons on other players to try and narrow things down.  Maybe one or two of the players are Mafia and they have to stay alive and could be beneficial to the townies by forcing them to stay alive because only Cupid and the pair know they are paired together and maybe if say thatguy and say Nickmitch are paired together maybe thatguy could go after different targets or maybe one of their own mafia members and that could of made the game a bit different.   

Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2019, 02:35:26 PM »
Mr Bungle is aptly named. Day 6 of the game was weird because I made my post and then it seemed to stretch on forever. I checked it last night and there was no change. And then I get back on today at noon and i'm dead and day 6 is over and day 7 is over. I'm assuming Nickmitch and MrBungle were too busy with holiday stuff or Star Wars.

If they had voted we wouldn't be in the mess we're in.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2019, 02:53:14 PM »
Mr Bungle is aptly named. Day 6 of the game was weird because I made my post and then it seemed to stretch on forever. I checked it last night and there was no change. And then I get back on today at noon and i'm dead and day 6 is over and day 7 is over. I'm assuming Nickmitch and MrBungle were too busy with holiday stuff or Star Wars.

That is so true.    I am guessing both of them lost track of time and when the day closed because for me the day 6 was supposed to close at a little before 8am.  I figured with Mop it up voting last night or in the early morning there would of been some votes but I guess thatguy didn't want to leave things to chance and posted his vote 20 minutes before the day was to end.   

After Insanolord was voted out I figured there was two ways this game could go either a townie or Mafia win.   Townie win involved everyone voting out Mop it up and then Day 7 would of come and it would of likely been thatguy, The Perm and one of Nickmitch or Mr. Bungle.  Townies figure out who is the GF is after some digging and vote out thatguy.  Game would of ended there. 

Mafia had two paths.  What happened with Day 6 and 7 and the Mafia not really fearing outing themselves with the vote or something a little bit more complex.

thatguy votes out Mop it up along with everyone else,  no mafia hit on Night 6, That leaves, thatguy, The Perm, Nickmitch, and Mr. Bungle.  Players question why there was no hit once again and maybe target Nickmitch in the vote because the past few days Nickmitch has been absent from the day threads and he is voted out.  Nickmitch is voted out and then thatguy sends in a hit for Mr. Bungle and it is a one to one tie and in those cases Mafia win automatically.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2019, 03:22:53 PM »
Had they voted, what would have happened tomorrow?I would have hit ThePerm. It would be me, Mr. Bungle, and nickmitch.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2019, 03:30:56 PM »
Had they voted, what would have happened tomorrow?I would have hit ThePerm. It would be me, Mr. Bungle, and nickmitch.
Or it could of been ThePerm, Mr. Bungle, Nickmitch and you from ThePerm using their bumper to protect themselves if they still had it.  That would have been interesting day.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2019, 03:38:15 PM »
Or it could of been ThePerm, Mr. Bungle, Nickmitch and you from ThePerm using their bumper to protect themselves if they still had it.  That would have been interesting day.

ThePerm had already used the Boost on his very first night, good move too, because that's how he evaded a hit from the Killer.
Thatguy purposefully suggested he still had this option to obfuscate while posing as a Townie.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2019, 03:40:50 PM »

ThePerm had already used the Boost on his very first night, good move too, because that's how he evaded a hit from the Killer.
Thatguy purposefully suggested he still had this option to obfuscate while posing as a Townie.
What a game.  Lots of trickery.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2019, 04:01:29 PM »
There was a lot that happened this game to give the mafia a fighting chance. I don't really have the time to get into it now, but I will do a rundown tomorrow.

I've got a few moments, so let's talk about the first day:

Not much occurred here. After the fact, Mop it up pointed out to me that apparently, when I'm guilty and she's guilty, voting for Mop it up is one of our tells. Even though we lost MASB right away, in a standard game, one could say the votes put us in a pretty powerful position. The end vote was primarily between two mafia members and pokepal. Thank's to BeautifulShy's efforts, we also knew pokepal had a role, though we did not know what role that was. Moving past that, I had voted for a mafia member that got in hot water and hadn't changed my vote. Mop it up, I believe, voted for MASB and was effectively one of the killing votes. If anyone went back and analyzed the day's vote, we had some fairly decent cover.

This might surprise some people based on what I said before, but I had sent in the hit for pokepal early in the day, before any of this really happened or developed. He was just a random choice.

Typically, I make the plan for how I'll play each mafia game before the game starts, as best I can to avoid modifying my plans too heavily and making obvious mistakes in over-planning. In this case, I had decided I was going to approach the game to appear uninterested, and also rarely log in to actually do anything. This is evident in day 1's post, where I voted Mop it up, primarily to feign disdain for even signing up for the game. (I was lying about not signing up above. It was a joke! I did sign up for this one.)

Upon reading the results for day 1 in day 2's thread, at first I thought we were in pretty good shape. The killer actually took out a townie role. We knew the identity of the investigator, who was ripe for being hit. Seemed pretty basic, pretty positive. A balanced exchange. We lost MASB, we gained a lot of insight.

At this point, the mafia was Insanolord, Mop it up, and me. If you've ever played one of these games with Insanolord, you know he's pretty quiet. I kept him in the loop with our plans, but we didn't hear much back. Most strategizing was discussed with Mop it up. She pointed out how screwed we really were. I didn't even see ThePerm was added in at first. I didn't see he also came with a one-time use shield.

See, I've hypothesized the best way to deal with a townie alliance where one member is clearly confirmed for all townies to see is a townie is to make a false claim about being another townie role. An easy one in a game like this? The Doctor. Yes, the end result might be that the false doctor is discovered and voted out. However, with that, there's a strong chance that you sow paranoia and distrust, while also potentially discovering the identity of other townie roles, all things considered. It's a risky play, but one that makes sense if there's a townie alliance that is too solid thanks to verifiable information in the game. This was to be the move going forward.

Except now there were two verified townies in pokepal and ThePerm. There was literally no way to move in and pretend to be a townie role without there being one confirmed member left. Two things should have really broken the game following the first night: The certain reveal of pokepal's role and the presence of a second, fully-disclosed townie who also had automatic protection. Add in that a doctor was in the game and that pokepal had auto-protection from BeautifulShy that night, and we, the mafia, essentially had no hope.

Still focusing on the actions leading into and introducing day 2, it was assumed Pokepal investigated BeautifulShy before revealing his role to her, thus swinging the vote in day 1. It wasn't a big deal if this was a one-off event. Things could still be manipulated. It meant two more investigations instead of just the first day one, which wasn't great, but could be managed. Primarily, that management occurs via schemes that cause the lone, apparent townie to mistrust the people he or she has trusted, and it can be done. As soon as that lone townie has a reliable, confirmed second role to count on, the game becomes a lot easier, and it's easier to grow confident in connections and to also be able to steer the game with an alliance.

All these things went into consideration as we began making plans for Day 2.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2019, 05:56:06 PM »
I want to note something with my role.   It was either a revive or a kill.  So if I was the only one to die that night I would of not been able to revive anyone. I would of been forced to kill someone or don't use my role at all.  If I didn't die and someone else died then I could of revived said player one time.     

Also I just want to mention I have my signups for my next game up in the Funhouse but please continue the discussion here with the wrap up for this game until I close sign ups. Carry on.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2019, 06:13:28 PM »
I also decide before the game how I'm going to act, and this time it was doing random things like the randomly-generated X cup! Though I probably should have explained more what that was.

Yeah, activity is a tough one to crack because the setup of the game essentially punishes posting in the threads. You're often at less of a risk by only sticking to PMs or just flat-out doing nothing.
I feel this wouldn't be true if everyone participated. It's only been an issue more recently when there have been less players overall, and seemingly an increase in inactive ones. I s'pose this may be a problem inherent with the game itself, but despite that I feel like we used to have much more participation anyway. Though, perhaps I'm just romanticizing the past and should actually go check out some old games to see if they were as active as I remember, or maybe it was just me. Also, there used to be more players interested in the roleplay aspect of the game, which would in turn inspire other people to at least try it as well, which gave more reason to post in the day threads besides simply voting.

That said, this particular game is proof that inactivity doesn't always work anyway, and it isn't the first. It's a large part of the reason we won this, and not just because of the final day where only one of the three townies showed up. Had everyone been participating, we wouldn't have been able to pull the stunt where we didn't make a hit is one example, which seemed to be part of the reason they thought thatguy was a legitimate townie.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2019, 06:25:38 PM »
That said, this particular game is proof that inactivity doesn't always work anyway, and it isn't the first. It's a large part of the reason we won this, and not just because of the final day where only one of the three townies showed up. Had everyone been participating, we wouldn't have been able to pull the stunt where we didn't make a hit is one example, which seemed to be part of the reason they thought thatguy was a legitimate townie.
It was that (especially since I knew he was active during that night period) and that Khushrenada told me he could probably be trusted.

So once again, inactivity and Khushrenada killed the Townie cause.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2019, 09:53:30 PM »
It was that (especially since I knew he was active during that night period) and that Khushrenada told me he could probably be trusted.

So once again, inactivity and Khushrenada killed the Townie cause.
He can be trusted early on.  As the game goes on thatguy if he is still around and is making votes that seem to good to be true then it probably is for some reason that benefits him.   
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2019, 11:00:23 PM »

I let the townies down and I am sorry. Holiday and family stuff has thrown off my routine and I completely forgot about the game. I will do better next time.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2019, 03:01:41 AM »

I let the townies down and I am sorry. Holiday and family stuff has thrown off my routine and I completely forgot about the game. I will do better next time.

No real problems. I expected this. Mafia games can be hard to keep track of. A lot of mafia games have started when I had a clear schedule and then suddenly I had to go out of town. Having this around the holidays was a setback for townies. From my experience playing as townies is a far more active experience. Every time I've been mafia I could cut my gameplay time to 1/3.

This was kind of an interesting role. I felt it was a pretty balanced role. On one hand everyone knew I was a townie, but I had a target on my back the whole time. But that one time save was a nice feature. Taking out lolmonade was essential to the mafia victory here.  I have seen too many episodes of survivor to not use my hidden immunity idol.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post