Author Topic: Takeover Ad.  (Read 2802 times)

Offline Koopa Troopa

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Takeover Ad.
« on: March 07, 2003, 07:50:22 AM »
Hey that giant takeover Ad is keeping Mozilla out of the forums. I'll explain.

When I click on a category, "Gamecube Discussion" for example, Mozilla gets caught in a never ending loop of "reloading".

Anyway, it is pretty annoying; I can't stand not having tabbed browsing (not too mention IE is all screwed up for some reason)
"Plan Your Strategy. Build an Army. Trust No One."

Offline Sean

• View Profile
Takeover Ad.
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2003, 08:43:04 AM »
If you can't fix IE, try Netscape.  It's slower, but it works fine.  I tried Phoenix for a day and realized I was going to have re-download plug-ins, re-do all the cookies, etc., and it seemed to load slowly (probably just because it was loading the graphics for the first time, but still), so I gave it up.  Oh well.  It seems to have its share of followers.
"I think that if the devil does not exist,
and man has therefore created him,
he has created him in his own image and likeness."
from Fyodor Dostoevsky's THE BROTHERS KARAMAZOV

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
Takeover Ad.
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2003, 09:34:42 AM »
I'm pretty sure that it's not Mozilla causing it.  You're probably blocking the cookie that gets set that tells the ad that you've already viewed it.  Make sure you're not indiscriminately blocking cookies, which isn't a smart thing to do anyway.  Contrary to popular myth, not all cookies are bad, m'kay?  We don't use cookies to track people, we use them to make the site more convenient for YOU.
:: Rob "Rick Powers" Stevens
:: Senior Editor Emeritus
:: Personal Blog
:: Wii Number: 7294 0910 3012 6153

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
Takeover Ad.
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2003, 11:56:35 AM »
I run Phoenix, which is built off of the Mozilla source code, and I have no such problems.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline Koopa Troopa

• View Profile
Takeover Ad.
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2003, 07:38:29 PM »

If you can't fix IE, try Netscape. It's slower, but it works fine. I tried Phoenix for a day and realized I was going to have re-download plug-ins, re-do all the cookies, etc., and it seemed to load slowly (probably just because it was loading the graphics for the first time, but still), so I gave it up. Oh well. It seems to have its share of followers.

Netscape is "based" on the opensource Mozilla browser.

I'm pretty sure that it's not Mozilla causing it. You're probably blocking the cookie that gets set that tells the ad that you've already viewed it. Make sure you're not indiscriminately blocking cookies, which isn't a smart thing to do anyway. Contrary to popular myth, not all cookies are bad, m'kay? We don't use cookies to track people, we use them to make the site more convenient for YOU.

I didn't say Mozilla was causing it.

Anyway, I don't have cookies blocked, I never do. I'm not afraid of cookies. BTW, I took a quick look and I was able to find the cookie.  
"Plan Your Strategy. Build an Army. Trust No One."