Author Topic: Fantasy Life Review  (Read 3168 times)

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
Fantasy Life Review
« on: October 21, 2014, 06:03:00 AM »

As fantastical as the name implies, Fantasy Life is an immensely charming RPG on 3DS.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/review/38791/fantasy-life-review

Originally released in Japan nearly two years ago, Fantasy Life is a Level-5-developed 3DS life sim/RPG that combines elements of a variety of games including Harvest Moon, Animal Crossing, Rune Factory, and many more. At the beginning, you create your character and quickly choose a job class. After wrapping up the lengthy and drawn-out tutorial, you then can go in any direction you wish, whether it’s becoming a jack of all trades or a master of one. With 12 varied classes that oftentimes feel like they could sustain an entire game by themselves, this Nintendo-published (in North America and Europe) adventure is packed to the brim with fun content.

56.jpg

While playing Fantasy Life, an appealing kind of monotony pervades through the gameplay. Some of your time is spent exploring the world and defeating monsters, but a large chunk is spent doing more staid tasks like completing townspeople’s quests and acquiring materials to craft tools and outfits. Somehow, it’s almost always entertaining with the breadth of content even if some aspects sound lame on paper. The key is that Fantasy Life is more about solving everyday problems for the citizens of Reveria than it is about slaying the dragon and completing missions (though there is a lot of that, too). This  3DS game stands out as a novel approach to the life sim/RPG genre and feels like a Nintendo-ized version of Microsoft’s Fable series.

The structure of Fantasy Life is built on unique jobs, referred to in-game as Lives, in which you take on different careers that all feed off of each other. As a Miner, you go to caves and get ore, which can then be turned into materials and used by a Blacksmith to make weapons and armor that can be used by a Paladin in battle. Each of the 12 jobs has its own unique characters and storylines that are all charmingly written and engaging. They have their similarities, but the writing really helps each one stand out. Even if you’re doing similar mini-games to make clothes as a Tailor and make a sword as a Blacksmith, both Lives still feel unique. You can switch between them at any time and even use the skills you earn with one when you’re learning another trade. Adventuring is rarely boring when you can switch between a Cook, an Angler, or a Hunter, each with their own unique quests, at a moment’s notice.

In addition, there is a driving main storyline that is focused on bringing the different regions of Reveria together. I’d often get sidetracked from the main quest because I’d get distracted by each Life, but that highlights how the primary story is used more as an entry into the deeper world than it is as the whole experience. The main storyline takes about a dozen hours if you plow through it, but the fun of Fantasy Life is about exploring the worlds, jobs, and quests while taking your sweet time. The variety of gameplay elements is extremely diverse. There is even an Animal Crossing-like element where you can move into different homes and style them however like. You can even rides horses and tortoises and domesticate cats and dogs.

52.jpg

While I didn’t get to try out any of the StreetPass or local multiplayer, I did test some online multiplayer. You can team up with two other players and go exploring. You can’t progress the story, but it’s still fun to mess around and show your friends your Life progression and gear.

Fantasy Life is a game at a medium pace that performs at its best when you to just kick back and explore the varied classes as you adventure through the colorful world. The best part is that you can make of it whatever you want. You can become a Paladin and focus on fighting enemies, or you can take up an artisanal trade and focus on making the best armor. You can complete the main story, or sit back and make every meal you can as a Cook. Fantasy Life is an elegant, malleable experience that is one of the most compelling 3DS games I’ve played in a long time.

Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Fantasy Life Review
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 01:32:02 PM »
This sounds like something my son would really get a kick out of.  Now here's the hard question Neal.  Where you would put the Reading level of this game?

More to the point for me is that could a 1st grader play it?
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Vahne

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 08:53:23 PM »
This is the type of game I'd love to have digitally, but I'll wait for a good sale due to Ninty's version of "DRM".

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 08:13:18 PM »
The DLC situation has really soured me on this game, but I'm still getting it since a friend of mine is.

Offline Aaron Brown

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 08:55:00 PM »
Solid review, Neal. I can't wait.
Aaron R. Brown
Previews Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2014, 01:35:57 AM »
This sounds like something my son would really get a kick out of.  Now here's the hard question Neal.  Where you would put the Reading level of this game?

It'd be dicey. I think a lot of it is intuitive, but there is a TON OF TEXT in this game. It's hard for me to totally judge, but as much as I want to say every single person should play this, I think a first grader would have a tough time.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2014, 10:26:56 AM »

It'd be dicey. I think a lot of it is intuitive, but there is a TON OF TEXT in this game. It's hard for me to totally judge, but as much as I want to say every single person should play this, I think a first grader would have a tough time.
Thanks Neal.

This and Pokemon make me wish for a 3DS Player.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.