Author Topic: New Smash Bros. Character Being Announced Monday  (Read 15606 times)

Offline Aaron Brown

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
New Smash Bros. Character Being Announced Monday
« on: July 12, 2014, 08:14:00 AM »

Place your bets!

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/38060/new-smash-bros-character-being-announced-monday

A new challenger for the upcoming Super Smash Bros. games for Wii U and 3DS will be revealed on Monday, July 14, via a live stream on the games' official website. Director Masahiro Sakurai announced on Miiverse that the unveiling will begin at 7 a.m PT. The stream, as seen below, is currently displaying a countdown to the announcement.

Aaron R. Brown
Previews Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Picoli

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
Re: New Smash Bros. Character Being Announced Monday
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 03:25:50 PM »
I think either Lloyd Irving or Shulk.

Offline Triforce Hermit

• This title doesn't make sense.
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 03:38:08 PM »
Shulk hopefully. God I hope its Shulk. That would be my favorite new character reveal (not saying much because all of the new characters are horrible so far.)
Sometimes, you just want to play a video game.
NNiD: Triforcehermit09

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2014, 03:54:51 PM »
Bayonetta. Or KOS-MOS.

Hopefully, Goku.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2014, 04:32:27 PM »
RAY!

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2014, 05:10:39 PM »
if I could post screencaps properly in a talkback thread, I would post what I posted to Miiverse last night.

According to the Gematsu leak ( http://gematsu.com/2014/04/rumor-shulk-palutena-set-super-smash-bros ) It is most likely to be Shulk, Chrom, or the Chorus Men from Rhythm Heaven for DS. If the Gematsu leak is to be believed ( which they have successfully predicted every newcomer besides Rosalina. This is why I'm even bothering to stand on such a shaky platform for my educated guess ) if one wanted to keep the cross-promotional candle burning steady in the month lingering after E3, they would most likely reveal the heir to the Monado. the fact that Xenoblade Chronicles X is coming is still fresh in people's minds from E3, and I think a lot more interest would bubble up from Shulk's appearance, considering how Fire Emblem appeared from the Aether (See what I did there?) thanks to Melee.

if I had to take a random guess at a newcomer of some sort that isn't from the Gematsu link, and disregarding Sakurai's statement that roster was the very first thing they nailed down... how about an Inkling? They gave Splatoon the second biggest push at their booth like it'll be their next really big game! I get the feeling from the impressions I heard and such that Nintendo has a lot of faith in Splatoon, and once again, the Smash Bros. Effect has that means of greatly boosting interest in an IP!

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2014, 05:29:57 PM »
Right now Shulk is the odds on favorite to be shown out of the three characters left in the leak.  Since Ike was shown just two months ago it seems too early for another Fire Emblem character like Chrom, and the Chorus Men seem more like the weird Game & Watch/ROB character Sakurai might want to wait until the Japanese release in September since Rhythm Heaven series is by far more popular in Japan.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2014, 05:35:43 PM »
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline shinyray01

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2014, 05:55:47 PM »
Bayonetta. Or KOS-MOS.

Hopefully, Goku.

I thought I was the only one who wanted KOS-MOS. sadly Pac-Man shot down any chance she had. I bet on Shulk though for Monday's Character Reveal

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2014, 09:00:31 PM »
I don't think Pac-Man was the deciding factor or anything. He really is the best and most obvious choice as far as Namco characters go. I was never really clear on how much, if any, of Xenosaga's rights were held by Monolith Soft (Bandai Namco released some Xenosaga figure sets after the sale, but the games have yet to be re-released digitally or as an HD bundle) so depending on who owns what, KOS-MOS could be a first party character on a weird technicality. I always figured her chances begin and end with Monolith Soft regardless of who actually owns the rights to Xenosaga and even then, I never thought she was a realistic choice, just a cool one. It would have been nice to honor (arguably) Tetsua Takeshi's most popular creation, but Shulk is just a better choice at this point. Xenoblade is more relevant and 100% owned by Nintendo.

As for serious predictions for this upcoming announcement, I can't really argue with Shulk, but I'm still going with Bayonetta. Ride that hype train all the way to October.

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2014, 09:44:01 PM »
if I could post screencaps properly in a talkback thread, I would post what I posted to Miiverse last night.

According to the Gematsu leak ( http://gematsu.com/2014/04/rumor-shulk-palutena-set-super-smash-bros ) It is most likely to be Shulk, Chrom, or the Chorus Men from Rhythm Heaven for DS. If the Gematsu leak is to be believed ( which they have successfully predicted every newcomer besides Rosalina. This is why I'm even bothering to stand on such a shaky platform for my educated guess ) if one wanted to keep the cross-promotional candle burning steady in the month lingering after E3, they would most likely reveal the heir to the Monado. the fact that Xenoblade Chronicles X is coming is still fresh in people's minds from E3, and I think a lot more interest would bubble up from Shulk's appearance, considering how Fire Emblem appeared from the Aether (See what I did there?) thanks to Melee.

To update my own statement, I just heard about http://puu.sh/a8QnL/40e510d5b5.png, which really pushes things into the Shulk/KOS MOS territory. That being said, The reason I'd be incredibly Shakey on KOS MOS is that she's never appeared in her own game on a Nintendo Platform. Yes, she was in Super Robot Wars OG and in Project X Zone, but she's a very small part of both of those games, and Xenosaga was not released on the Gamecube to my knowledge.

I'm still stickin' with Shulk. it makes too much sense and is the obvious pick. that being said, if it's Reyn I will mane that bastard because his Up B will be "Bone Upper"

Offline PikachuRox3

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2014, 10:02:08 PM »
Sceptile!

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2014, 11:06:42 PM »
That being said, The reason I'd be incredibly Shakey on KOS MOS is that she's never appeared in her own game on a Nintendo Platform. Yes, she was in Super Robot Wars OG and in Project X Zone, but she's a very small part of both of those games, and Xenosaga was not released on the Gamecube to my knowledge.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2014, 11:14:08 PM »
Finally, Ridley has come home to roost!

Offline Mythtendo

• My rims never spin, to the contrary, you'll find that they're quite stationary
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2014, 11:35:21 PM »
(not saying much because all of the new characters are horrible so far.)

That has to be a joke comment. Almost all of the new characters have gotten lots of praise, and a few are already getting good amounts of people planning to main them. Mega Man is hugely popular among Smash fans, Villager is a surprise hit among Smash fans and many at E3 said they had a lot of fun playing as him. Little Mas is by far an early favorite and many people think he could be a "Tier 1" character since his attacks are so powerful (his only downside being his aerial sucks)

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2014, 11:38:29 PM »
Actually it's Alfonso... in fact

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2014, 04:44:08 AM »

WELL THEN!

This appears to have not gotten a release outside of Japan. That would probably explain why I hadn't heard of it. Still, thank you for bringing this to my attention. I'm still not going to shy away from the Reyn Shulk prediction.

Offline Triforce Hermit

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2014, 05:56:18 AM »
(not saying much because all of the new characters are horrible so far.)

That has to be a joke comment. Almost all of the new characters have gotten lots of praise, and a few are already getting good amounts of people planning to main them. Mega Man is hugely popular among Smash fans, Villager is a surprise hit among Smash fans and many at E3 said they had a lot of fun playing as him. Little Mas is by far an early favorite and many people think he could be a "Tier 1" character since his attacks are so powerful (his only downside being his aerial sucks)
I'll concede that Megaman and Villager will be popular, but that doesn't mean I like it. Palutena is the only good addition so far. The rest are terrible (Mii Fighters? Wii Fit Trainer?) and, to me, gives us a dull roster when there are far better choices out there.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2014, 05:58:54 AM »
Who are these "far better" choices? I think just about every newcomer so far has been interesting, and while I don't think I'd have ever come up with someone like Wii Fit Trainer I think she's a fantastically ridiculous addition.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline the asylum

• Score: -28
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2014, 06:41:44 AM »
Cmon Ray! Let's have some Custom Robo love!

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2014, 07:44:26 AM »
Who are these "far better" choices? I think just about every newcomer so far has been interesting, and while I don't think I'd have ever come up with someone like Wii Fit Trainer I think she's a fantastically ridiculous addition.
I'm pretty happy with all the newcomers (particularly Wii Fit Trainer), but there are certainly a couple missed opportunities. While I wouldn't call them "far better choices" or even "better," I was disappointed that both Midna and Dark Samus were relegated to Assist Trophies. If Ridley ends up being a mere stage hazard, I'd include him in that group. Still, if Little Mac is anything to go by, maybe they can be upgraded to the main roster in a sequel.

Offline Triforce Hermit

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2014, 07:51:34 AM »
Better choices:

-Waluigi
-Cranky Kong or K.Rool
-Issac (Golden Sun)
-Midna, she is popular enough (cancel out Toon Link, hate how there is two characters with the same moveset)
-Any Warioware character, there is enough variety.
-Hoenn Starter Pokemon
(Which reminds me, I forgot about Greninja. He was also a good addition along with Palutena. One of the decisions with the character roster)
-Terra (FFVI. We got Capcom to allow Megaman, anything is possible)

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2014, 09:00:19 AM »
Setting the odds:

Wonder Red      150:1 (or Viewtiful joe, but the world is not yet ready for the blossom )
Shulk                8:5
Goku                10000(5x10):mass of jupiter
Bayonetta          15:1 (I think ZERO SUIT SAMUS HAS A RESKIN for Bayonetta/wonder  pink)
BomberMan       30:1
Zero                  30:1
GROOSE            Too cool for smash
Ghirihiam           20:1
EBA                   12:1 (although they would be so awesome)
[size=78%]Lebron James [/size]

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2014, 12:37:39 PM »
Better choices:

-Waluigi
-Cranky Kong or K.Rool
-Issac (Golden Sun)
-Midna, she is popular enough (cancel out Toon Link, hate how there is two characters with the same moveset)
-Any Warioware character, there is enough variety.
-Hoenn Starter Pokemon
(Which reminds me, I forgot about Greninja. He was also a good addition along with Palutena. One of the decisions with the character roster)
-Terra (FFVI. We got Capcom to allow Megaman, anything is possible)

Waluigi? While I don't like to hate on anyone's preferences for characters, compared to the newcomers we have now Waluigi is just ugh. What does he bring to the table? Mario sports/spin off material? He was never a leading man and that's why he only appears in spin offs. Wii Fit Trainer, Mega Man, Little Mac and everyone else revealed so far deserves to be in Smash so much more than that guy. Those characters have made much more of an impact than he ever will.

Let's say the Gematsu leak is all that is left plus Brawl vets. Even if we got no Mewtwo, Dixie, K Rool or Ridley(*tears up*) the total newcomers are very very good and bring so many new play styles to the table.

Oh and Monday is going to be Shulk I'm pretty sure. With the monolith soft guy retweeting the news I am certain it's going to be Shulk.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2014, 01:08:15 PM »
[size=78%]Lebron James [/size]

Thanks to Mii Fighter, he's already in the game.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai