Author Topic: XboxOne ~News/Rumor/Speculation~ Biggest Console Released This Gen!!  (Read 785699 times)

Offline magicpixie

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
Re: XboxOne ~News/Rumor/Speculation~ Check-In atleast once every 24hrs!
« Reply #2250 on: August 16, 2013, 04:40:43 PM »
I think the "goals" of the consoles are really just how people are attributing the directions that the two companies seemed to be focused on.  MS's initial reveal was well-received by the mainstream press, but panned by the hardcore gaming audience.  Sony's initial reveal was, not opposite, but was received rather well by the hardcore audience.  I don't think anyone really believes that Sony isn't in this game for the same reasons MS is, which is obviously profitability and maintaining/expanding their foothold in the living room.

But it was reassuring to see Sony, pretty much from day one, seemingly pay lip service to all the periphery features of their console and preach to the base.  I think MS's miscalculation is that they expected the excitement for those periphery features to carry the casuals and "non-gamers" to purchase their console, completely ignoring the history of the Xbox and Xbox 360.  Those consoles were not built on the casual/non-gamer markets, but with the support of the "hardcore" market that built up a lot of goodwill.  Over time, as they added more functionality to the 360, the base grew and included people that wanted an easy streaming/netflix solution at a time when not many existed.  At that point, the 360 probably had been through a price drop or two, which would have made the purchase more palatable, too.

What MS tried to do with the Xbone, was get the casuals to buy-in from day one, which is pretty much antithetical to being a casual.  Casuals may have liked the features provided by the Xbone, but they probably didn't like the $499 price tag.  And paying for access to paying for services like Netflix is no longer an option when so many devices are currently available that do it for free, with more on the way(PS3 is one of the top devices according to many articles).  And that doesn't even account for the fact that casuals were just as likely to have heard news of the Xbone from a friend/family member who fits more into the traditional console market as they were to hear it from a press event/news release.  And if the hardcore market was sour to the taste of the initial Xbone reveals, they probably wouldn't speak highly of the console.

As casuals go, once that word of mouth gets out, it's incredibly difficult to stop.  After all of these 180s, how much of the good word is getting out to them.  Heck, how many in the traditional markets soured to the initial reveals and just wrote MS off and haven't bothered to give them a second thought?  How many have just soured to MS altogether this gen with the negative press surrounding their Surface tablets, Windows 8, and now the Xbone mishandling?

MS, imo, built a system for the traditional gaming market, but decided that they no longer wanted to primarily serve that market.  In that respect, they are no different than the handful of publishers that seem to have shifted their focus from console/handheld gaming to the mobile arena.  What they have found is that the two markets are not quite ready to be merged, and they are now scrambling to court the traditional markets.  In this regard, they are very similar to Nintendo, who, with the Wii U, discovered that the casual market is fickle and fleeting and that casuals really couldn't care less for videogames.

Disclaimer: The above post was pulled entirely out of my ass with little regard for things like fact and reality.  This is how I've interpreted MS's actions over the course of the Xbone launch rollout.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #2251 on: August 16, 2013, 04:42:16 PM »
Um, except this is more like it was a train wreck months ago but every week it's been fixing itself and getting back on track. Ever since E3 it's been nothing but good news about the system. Meanwhile, there has been more bad news about the PS4. Honestly, every week Microsoft gives more reasons to get the Xbox One. It's making me happy to see more reasons for people NOT to buy a PlayStation 4.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2252 on: August 16, 2013, 04:55:53 PM »
I can't think of anything major with the PS4.  We knew Multiplayer was going be behind a Pay Wall like Live and the 3GBs of RAM for the OS (which I do believe is very wasteful since that's more than Windows and it has to handle ton of 3rd party junk and varying hardware.)

On the flipside I can't really think of anything Major on the good side either.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #2254 on: August 16, 2013, 05:21:17 PM »
Xbox One controller not working on PCs til next year is not bad news for the XBOX ONE. It only affects PC users. BTW, I have not seen ANY indication the DualShock 4 will EVER work on PCs. So that point of yours is 100% moot.

As for the other work, that is bad news but does not affect the actual system itself.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2256 on: August 16, 2013, 05:28:37 PM »
The only reason I see that the XBox One controller isn't going to work on PC is that they expect their to be a shortage.  I'm fairly sure that the controller itself worked on the PC before it worked on the XBox One itself.  They'll release the driver to the general public once they now they have the supply.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #2257 on: August 16, 2013, 05:34:25 PM »
oh and did i forget http://gizmodo.com/xbox-live-gold-is-still-one-of-the-biggest-ripoffs-in-t-513093573

Someone STILL bitching about the cost of Xbox Live is supposed to be bad news? Nothing has changed on that, it's just another blogger whining (though he goes on to praise the actual service itself). Really, don't embarrass yourself with that post. If you are going to try and post bad "news", post news and not a whiny blog about the price of Live.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #2258 on: August 16, 2013, 05:46:48 PM »
oh and did i forget http://gizmodo.com/xbox-live-gold-is-still-one-of-the-biggest-ripoffs-in-t-513093573

Someone STILL bitching about the cost of Xbox Live is supposed to be bad news? Nothing has changed on that, it's just another blogger whining (though he goes on to praise the actual service itself). Really, don't embarrass yourself with that post. If you are going to try and post bad "news", post news and not a whiny blog about the price of Live.
tj, i think you need to take some lessons in reading comprehension. hes complaining about xbox live gold being required for things like netflix

What is it, exactly, that you're getting with Xbox Live Gold? The right to access services that you already pay for. That's $96 each for Netflix and Hulu Plus, $125 for MLB, $79 for Amazon Prime, and on and on down the line. It's like booking a hotel room and being charged separately to sleep on the bed. It's a cover for a club you already paid dues for. And Microsoft is literally the only company that does it....
....But it's not the gaming value that's at issue; just leave the services we're already paying for—that, again, literally everyone else in this business offers for free—out of it. Especially when your direct competition is doing just that.

Yep, that's right. While the PS4 doesn't offer nearly as robust a streaming content offering as the Xbox One, its masters did have the common sense to continue offering its video apps for free, even as it introduced an online multiplier monthly fee. You might not feel satisfaction with Sony, but at least you'll feel respect.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #2259 on: August 16, 2013, 05:48:56 PM »
So, what's this mythical bad news the PS4 is suppose to have I haven't heard about? Do have sources or are you doing the usual?

Sony hasn't said much sincee E3 as they knocked it out of the park and haven't had to change a thing. Sony isn't the one playing catch up, MS is.

Xbox live has always been a joke outside the console space. Paying for multiplayer outside of MMO's is some sort of weird madness. Also, TVTVTVTVTVTVTVTVDOG.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #2260 on: August 16, 2013, 05:53:53 PM »
im curious about this bad news as well. i haven't been keeping up with the ps4 as well as i should(too busy watching the xbone burn) so i would love to hear about this bad news you speak of, do enlighten me
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 05:59:37 PM by pokepal148 »

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #2261 on: August 16, 2013, 06:06:08 PM »

tj, i think you need to take some lessons in reading comprehension. hes complaining about xbox live gold being required for things like netflix

pokepal, do you have reading comprehension? My point still stands. And that blogger gets the point wrong. A more apt comparison would be like Xbox Live Gold being the cover charge for a club and the services the cost of drinks. Yes some clubs have a cover charge, doesn't make them a less good deal than the ones which don't. Especially when Live is better.

And pokepal watching the Xbox One "burn" makes me laugh since they have been improving the system non-stop for several months now.

Offline magicpixie

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2262 on: August 16, 2013, 06:17:56 PM »
Paying for what amounts to a glorified matchmaking service is asinine.  But I did so for most of my time with the 360, and will do so for the PS4(granted, the PS+ service has other benefits).  Hopefully Xbone's cloud service will rectify that with dedicated servers for the most popular games(no additional cost, please).

Also, the Xbone delay is bad news, no other way to spin it.  It is probably necessary given preorder numbers that none of us are privy to(probably).  But, I'll reserve judgment on that issue until we get a firm date for the PS4 launch.  Let's not forget that there was a story that came out a while ago, where Sony said that they were holding back units(from who I don't know) in order to help satisfy demand at launch.  Console launches don't always go smoothly, we should all know that by now.  Of course, if Sony manages a worldwide launch with solid numbers, it would be a tremendous blow to MS.

When both consoles are on equal footing, I think MS carries the advantage simply for people wanting to stay together through Xbox Live.  Strangely enough, I think Sony has the most momentum coming out of this gen since they've continued to support the PS3 through this last year with titles like Ni No Kuni, The Last of Us, and upcoming titles like Puppeteer, and Beyond: Two Souls.  I'm not sure if that will have any carryover effect into next gen.  I feel like it has had an effect on the competition between 360 and PS3 in the late stages of this gen, but I have no way(read: I am too lazy to look it up) to corroborate that.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #2263 on: August 16, 2013, 06:37:20 PM »

pokepal, do you have reading comprehension? My point still stands.
so your point still stands just because you say it does, no evidence of any sort to prove your point, you just get to prance around, say your still right and thats that. Tj i don't think the world works that way.
And that blogger gets the point wrong. A more apt comparison would be like Xbox Live Gold being the cover charge for a club and the services the cost of drinks. Yes some clubs have a cover charge, doesn't make them a less good deal than the ones which don't.
except as mentioned in the article both clubs have that same cover charge. the difference is that the ps4 club lets you get your drinks regardless.
Especially when Live is better.
fanboyish statements do not matter here
And pokepal watching the Xbox One "burn" makes me laugh since they have been improving the system non-stop for several months now.
they may have doused the fire but the forest is still scorched. microsoft has lost consumer trust and has failed to present a constant brand image. 500$ is still steep compared to the PS4 and nobody wants kinect. there are very few people who would see the xbone as a stronger value then the ps4.

although maybe those sources of yours may prove otherwise :smug:

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #2264 on: August 16, 2013, 06:46:46 PM »
The blogger complaining about something that has been going on for YEARS is somehow bad news for Xbox One according to you, that was obviously my point.

And the tiny fire has since been put out and the forest is pristine again.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #2265 on: August 16, 2013, 07:11:29 PM »
The blogger complaining about something that has been going on for YEARS is somehow bad news for Xbox One according to you, that was obviously my point.
it is something that will ultimately come back to haunt them and i suspect that will happen quite soon.
http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/ps4-online-apps-chat-no-playstation-plus-subscription-required-6C10786626
And the tiny fire has since been put out and the forest is pristine again.
but the damage still exists. microsoft may have overturned their policies but they have yet to regain consumer trust and when your console is 100$ more expensive then your competition thats a problem.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #2266 on: August 16, 2013, 07:23:31 PM »
It has not come back to haunt them yet. Xbox Live subscribers still dwarf PSN subscribers.

And they may not have earned back YOUR trust, but you are not all gamers. Hell, after E3 I had zero intention of ever getting a Xbox One despite LOVING the Xbox 360. But since then they have eliminated all of the reasons I didn't want one. I still don't plan to get it until a price cut, but I do plan to get it now. Sony has yet to give me any reason to buy a PS4 until it gets down to 200 (if then).

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #2267 on: August 16, 2013, 10:05:58 PM »
So, what's this mythical bad news the PS4 is suppose to have I haven't heard about? Do have sources or are you doing the usual?
i think we can safely assume those sources came from the magical land of make believe and regard them as such.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 10:18:19 PM by pokepal148 »

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #2268 on: August 17, 2013, 04:19:56 PM »
well, tj's gone, anybody else gonna make some sad attempt to defend the xbone?

Offline toddra

• You dirty RAT
  • Score: -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2269 on: August 17, 2013, 06:26:05 PM »
Well to be honest I never owned any Xbox console and so far this one is not looking like it will change my mind. I wouldn't mind picking up a used 360 but the first one is a joke, there is nothing on it I can't get elsewhere that I would ever play.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2270 on: August 17, 2013, 07:08:59 PM »
I won't defend the Xbox One, but nothing that you linked to has been "bad" news. The launch was on the aggressive side to begin with. I'm not sure any console had as wide a launch as MS was proposing. The controller thing? Come on, you know **** like that takes time, and it's a secondary function of the device. At least they said they're working on it. Also, I don't see how someone's opinion is bad "news". People still feel the same about Xbox Live now as they did about it before? Well, there's a shocker, especially since it's changed so much over the years.

Both sides of the conversation were annoying and stupid.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #2271 on: August 18, 2013, 08:37:14 PM »
OR JUST POSTING RANDOM MEMES LIKE THIS!!!
Made you look ****.

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #2272 on: August 18, 2013, 08:38:16 PM »
SHARES A RESEMBLENCE DOEM'T IT!
Xbox one is dead end of story!
Made you look ****.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #2273 on: August 18, 2013, 09:33:31 PM »
OR JUST POSTING RANDOM MEMES LIKE THIS!!!

That...

I don't know what that image macro even means. What message is it trying to say?

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #2274 on: August 18, 2013, 09:43:33 PM »
You obviously aren't keeping up with the latest Voldemort/Osama Bin Laden crossover memes...
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA