Author Topic: XboxOne ~News/Rumor/Speculation~ Biggest Console Released This Gen!!  (Read 785693 times)

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Re: XboxOne ~News/Rumor/Speculation~ Check-In atleast once every 24hrs!
« Reply #2225 on: August 14, 2013, 09:49:32 AM »
I don't think a Kinect-free SKU is ever coming only because Microsoft wants people to use it (regardless of whether anyone ever does now) and making it an optional purchase severely limits its reach. It'd be similar (though less drastic) to Nintendo ever releasing a Wii U SKU without the GamePad. Far fewer people will own one if it's not in the same box as the console.

I think there's a better chance of Microsoft eventually just eating part or all of the cost. Not ideal, but it's the only way they can get Kinect into every home with Xbox One and stay competitive with PS4. They overestimated how much anyone wants Kinect so they're going to have to pay for it, literally and figuratively.

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #2226 on: August 14, 2013, 10:09:55 AM »
There isn't a ton of crossover between the kind of people who want to play games using Kinect and the kind if people willing to pay $500 for a game console at or near its launch. Kinect was a success because it came late enough in the 360's life that the system was relatively cheap and had a vast software lineup. I know Microsoft wants to force this thing as a standard, but it's going to hurt them, at least in the short term.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline magicpixie

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2227 on: August 14, 2013, 04:03:59 PM »
So this is something:

http://news.xbox.com/2013/08/xbox-one-confirmed-markets

At E3, we announced that Xbox One would be available in 21 markets around the world at launch

I think everybody remembers the head of Xbox in Japan calling Japan a "Tier 2" market.  Later:

...in order to meet demand, we have adjusted the number of markets that will receive Xbox One in November to 13 markets, including Australia, Austria, Brazil, Canada, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Mexico, Spain, United Kingdom, United States and New Zealand, in November.

Not really a huge deal, I guess.  In the long run, it's good business to ensure that your product is available to markets where it is most in demand.  I would imagine that MS has checked the preorder numbers for their various markets and have based their decision on those numbers.  They go on to say:

We remain committed to launching Xbox One in Belgium, Denmark, Finland, Netherlands, Norway, Russia, Sweden, Switzerland, as soon as possible in 2014

That rounds out the original list of 21 launch markets.  Interesting that there is no hard-date for additional launches.  MS is offering a free game for those who have preordered before today in those 8 countries, which is a nice olive branch.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 04:06:55 PM by magicpixie »

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #2228 on: August 14, 2013, 05:58:48 PM »
It's like Microsoft has no faith in their own product so they keep changing it up. If Microsoft doesn't even have a consistent vision in their new platform, why should I spend money on it?
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #2229 on: August 14, 2013, 06:11:10 PM »
Xbone's motto should be "Ok, will you buy one if we do this instead?"
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 06:18:34 PM by Brandogg »
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #2230 on: August 14, 2013, 06:59:53 PM »
Tossup: More likely to be the free game? Killer Instinct or Hexic?
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #2231 on: August 14, 2013, 08:25:49 PM »
MS doesn't have to sell me on the system, they have to sell me on Kinect. The PS4 has a bunch of BS features that I'll never use. Even the most practical one, downloading parts of games before others, is only kinda useful to me IF I decide to download a game and IF I wanna play it right then. I'll reserve judgement on the controller until I can hold one. I heard good things about the DS3 and never liked it. If it were a game of controllers, MS would win, hands down.
Still think that microsoft is better! :Q
Got to admit that they make darn good computers but they can't make consles for sh*t.
Ps4 gonna kick there butt! :P:
Made you look ****.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2232 on: August 16, 2013, 04:22:01 AM »
I saw a rumor floating around somewhere that MS is also considering a Kinect-less SKU to compete with the PS4 on price. No idea how valid that is, and I can't find the source at the moment, but this Forbes articles is doing some mighty assured "speculating":

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2013/08/13/microsoft-stares-down-their-last-xbox-one-hurdle-499/

My guess is that they'll stick to their guns for launch, but after disappointing numbers and the general realization that Kinect still sucks, they'll release a cheaper blind SKU.

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #2233 on: August 16, 2013, 06:02:57 AM »
I imagine they make more money at $500 with Kinect than they would at $400 without it. It'll stay mandatory at launch when there's enough demand to sustain that and then they'll add the other SKU next summer when the sales begin to falter.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2234 on: August 16, 2013, 10:48:11 AM »
A Kinect Sku is not going to happen for a while.  For Kinect to be more then just a Glorified Microphone it needs to be with all the systems.  Much like if the Gamepad once to be used everyone must have one.

PS4 is the Purest for lack of better term of the console in terms of accessories this time.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #2235 on: August 16, 2013, 12:40:53 PM »
They need to make up their fucking minds. I have no idea what they want or what their goal is.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #2236 on: August 16, 2013, 12:46:31 PM »
Microsoft is getting rid of gimmicks and stupid requirements, leaving a pure gaming system with a great controller and games. I don't see the confusion.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #2237 on: August 16, 2013, 01:05:46 PM »
But it's just that: they made that **** a BIG deal. But now they've gotten rid of it. And after they said that they will have Kinect in all Xone SKUs, and now that may not be true either? All of their original ideas from E3 are gone, so what exactly is their goal?

What I'm trying to say is, they probably haven't given up on what they set out to do with the Xone. They will probably introduce a feature that people don't like once they buy the thing.

Offline toddra

• You dirty RAT
  • Score: -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2238 on: August 16, 2013, 01:08:09 PM »
I want Microsoft to success only because I don't want Windows to go away, but I was turned off from the Xbox One from day one. All this turning around and changing their minds is confusing but I doubt any of it is enough to undo the damage. I think they need to just leave things as is for now and see how the market reacts, changing things based on pre-order numbers is absurd, didn't Wii U have healthy pre-order numbers also?

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #2239 on: August 16, 2013, 01:11:29 PM »
Their goal, as is the goal of EVERY system EVER, is to sell as many systems as possible and make good games. Since when has any system had a different "goal"? I don't see the PlayStation 4's "goal". Without all those anti-consumer things, there is now no reason to not get the Xbox One unless you can't afford it.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline toddra

• You dirty RAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2240 on: August 16, 2013, 01:14:02 PM »
Price, that is all for me, the reason I never got a PS3 was it was too expensive, even now what six years in it still isn't down to where it should have launched at. At least with PS4 it is launching at a fair price for what it is, but this last generation really was just too much money at first.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #2241 on: August 16, 2013, 01:15:25 PM »

Their goal, as is the goal of EVERY system EVER, is to sell as many systems as possible and make good games. Since when has any system had a different "goal"? I don't see the PlayStation 4's "goal". Without all those anti-consumer things, there is now no reason to not get the Xbox One unless you can't afford it.

No **** do they want to make money. But every console has another goal besides that. Their goal, before they changed it, was to become the main device in everyone's living room. This was their goal for the 360, but they kind of failed in that regard. Now, what the hell is their goal.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #2242 on: August 16, 2013, 01:17:35 PM »
Again, what "goals"? What is the PS4's "goal"? I have yet to see one. Almost no system has ever had a goal. The only one I can recall was the Xbox with the goal being to stop Sony from taking over the living room.

And they have made it clear they want the Xbox One to be THE entertainment device for your house, it's why they have spent a good amount of time on both games and TV/movies for it.

Offline toddra

• You dirty RAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2243 on: August 16, 2013, 01:22:01 PM »
PS4's goal is to be the king of your living room, one device to do everything. Microsoft's goal is as it has always been, to spy on you by any means available to them and sell it to the highest bidder. MS just screwed up and made their intentions too obvious this time.

Neither are in the video game business to "make money" off their gaming machines, they have always had secondary goals attached to that, they use gaming as a gateway to their secondary goals. MS wants Windows on every device in your house, Sony wants to make every device in your house.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #2244 on: August 16, 2013, 01:26:36 PM »
Um, spy on you? With every bit of their software you could browse privately. And last time I checked, it was SONY who spied on people (selling over 22 million CDs from 2005-2007 that installed spyware on your computer and sent the info back to them). Frankly, I would trust my info with Microsoft than I ever would with Sony.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2245 on: August 16, 2013, 01:28:00 PM »

Or, you know, you actually care about good 1st party exclusives that aren't shooters with a side of shooters and an extra helping of shooters.  ::)   As I've said before, Microsoft needs to step up their game (so to speak) when it comes to 1st party software, because right now I don't think they have anything that looks even as promising as Infamous: Second Son.  There are some titles on the Xbone that could be potentially cool like Quantum Break, but not enough to convince me that Microsoft cares about its internal games development.  Even their big 3rd party exclusive Titanfall isn't an Xbone exclusive, so if I want it I'll just buy the 360 version.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline toddra

• You dirty RAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2246 on: August 16, 2013, 01:42:14 PM »
Um okay, so neither can be trusted that doesn't change their plans. And I never heard anyone defend Microsoft for privacy before so...

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2247 on: August 16, 2013, 02:15:22 PM »
Microsoft's goal is as it has always been, to spy on you by any means available to them and sell it to the highest bidder.
That's really harsh and completely untrue.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #2248 on: August 16, 2013, 04:27:04 PM »
I just enjoy the cavalcade of failure that is the XBone. It's a trainwreak that keeps on giving.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #2249 on: August 16, 2013, 04:39:37 PM »
I just enjoy the cavalcade of failure that is the XBone. It's a trainwreak that keeps on giving.
its like grabbing a few friends and watching 4 easy cpus run around like idiots in mario party