Author Topic: Kickstarter for new Pure Nintendo Magazine UPDATE: Exclusive content  (Read 24000 times)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Re: Kickstarter for new Pure Nintendo Magazine UPDATE: Exclusive content
« Reply #75 on: October 13, 2012, 01:06:06 AM »

Does Screw Attack or Penny Arcade needy money? Hell no. Screw Attack wanted money just to have a convention. Penny Arcade wanted fans to pay the advertising bills.

I really don't see why you're so hung up on the Penny Arcade thing. The only real difference between them and any other thing on the site is that Penny Arcade could have easily gotten the money another way, which is not usually the case.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #76 on: October 13, 2012, 01:14:42 AM »
That is just the point, Penny Arcade didn't NEED the money. They just wanted fans to pay them money to pay their bills. If an individual tried to do what they did, Kickstarter would have rejected their campaign.

As for PNM, I don't think it matters who contributed.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 13, 2012, 01:29:24 AM »
I'm not sure what you think these other Kickstarters are for. If someone is asking for money to make a video game, they're not grinding that money up and putting it on a circuit board to make the game; they're using it to pay their bills to give them time to work on the game. The only difference is that Penny Arcade could have easily gotten the money through advertising like they had in the past.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 13, 2012, 08:08:42 AM »
That is just the point, Penny Arcade didn't NEED the money. They just wanted fans to pay them money to pay their bills. If an individual tried to do what they did, Kickstarter would have rejected their campaign.

As for PNM, I don't think it matters who contributed.

if any individual did that, it would be weird, but any individual doesn't produce one of the webs biggest comics. It is still a win for fans. The project is still penny arcade, except some fans get swag, and then there are no adds on the site. It's essentially the same as if they had adds on, only they are advertising themselves.

essentially they are switching from adds paying for their project, to kickstarter patronage paying for their project.

its not really different if a new person started a webcomic website. They could either launch it and sale adds, and hope they get clicks. Or they could do kickstarter and cut out the middleman. Its like pay pal with better advertising.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 13, 2012, 08:56:26 AM »
I don't think it's that they didn't need that money. If that's what even happened. After all, this is all alleged. Whatever happened to innocent until proven guilty?

That's why I put "if" in bold letters. :D

Does Screw Attack or Penny Arcade needy money? Hell no. Screw Attack wanted money just to have a convention. Penny Arcade wanted fans to pay the advertising bills.

A) Two wrongs don't make a right.
B) Penny Arcade and Screw Attack were completely up front about what they were collecting money for.  As long as they didn't misrepresent their need, I don't see an issue with it.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline ResettisCousin

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 16, 2012, 06:13:16 PM »
Some of us need to put our thinking caps on. Project Creators donating to their own projects is against Kickstarter's rules:

http://unsubject.wordpress.com/2012/10/11/kickstander-follow-up-questions-answers/

It's also clearly against the spirit of Kickstarter. Check out their faq and read the section "Why is funding all or nothing?"

http://www.kickstarter.com/help/faq/kickstarter%20basics?ref=nav

Project creators donating to their own projects via Kickstarter allows them to adjust the effective project goal whenever however necessary to collect what's been donated. It disintegrates the 'all or nothing' concept. Essentially their pledge drive cannot fail, less the 3 to 5 percent transaction fee of their own donation (to themselves).

As for the project itself, a few things bug me. The sample magazine cover, issue 6, exclusively lists 'news' and 'coming soon' type articles. Those, in print format, are completely obsolete. What's the point of repackaging the same bits of preview coverage and PR paraphrasing that you're already putting on your website in to a monthly compendium? Maybe it was just poor picks for the mock up, but for this to hold any interest to me, it would need a large percentage of completely original retrospective, philosophical (yes, I said it), and otherwise original content. I've bought a couple Gamespites and those are almost completely original content (granted, Jeremy Parish cross posts some articles to the website, but the point is it's not the same info that neogaf and gonintendo are all bubbling to the top of the fold). The other, more minor issue is in the thread here with the pandering 'by fans for fans- so we'll cover more third party stuff' blurb. Seriously, do you really think Nintendo Power TURNED DOWN any opportunities to interview Suda 51, Yuji Hori, or Yuji Naka? The implication that NP wouldn't cover third party stuff because of untoward influence by Nintendo is tacky.

Also, maybe I'm missing something (I didn't scour their website), but it seems weird to be funding a project that's already six issues in, and it seems weird that subscribers don't get instant, digital access to the prior 6 issues.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #81 on: October 17, 2012, 07:34:53 AM »
Some of us need to put our thinking caps on. Project Creators donating to their own projects is against Kickstarter's rules:

http://unsubject.wordpress.com/2012/10/11/kickstander-follow-up-questions-answers/

It's also clearly against the spirit of Kickstarter. Check out their faq and read the section "Why is funding all or nothing?"

Project creators donating to their own projects via Kickstarter allows them to adjust the effective project goal whenever however necessary to collect what's been donated. It disintegrates the 'all or nothing' concept. Essentially their pledge drive cannot fail, less the 3 to 5 percent transaction fee of their own donation (to themselves).

As for the project itself, a few things bug me. The sample magazine cover, issue 6, exclusively lists 'news' and 'coming soon' type articles. Those, in print format, are completely obsolete. What's the point of repackaging the same bits of preview coverage and PR paraphrasing that you're already putting on your website in to a monthly compendium? Maybe it was just poor picks for the mock up, but for this to hold any interest to me, it would need a large percentage of completely original retrospective, philosophical (yes, I said it), and otherwise original content. I've bought a couple Gamespites and those are almost completely original content (granted, Jeremy Parish cross posts some articles to the website, but the point is it's not the same info that neogaf and gonintendo are all bubbling to the top of the fold). The other, more minor issue is in the thread here with the pandering 'by fans for fans- so we'll cover more third party stuff' blurb. Seriously, do you really think Nintendo Power TURNED DOWN any opportunities to interview Suda 51, Yuji Hori, or Yuji Naka? The implication that NP wouldn't cover third party stuff because of untoward influence by Nintendo is tacky.

Also, maybe I'm missing something (I didn't scour their website), but it seems weird to be funding a project that's already six issues in, and it seems weird that subscribers don't get instant, digital access to the prior 6 issues.

Thanks for posting that.

This basically means that some people were jumping to conclusions without getting all the facts about Kickstarter. It also means that if the the Kickstarter failed then none of you guys would be getting it. You guys are lucky that there was a generous person or many generous people in the Nintendo fanbase willing to put out the money for the kickstarter instead of being negative about it. There is room for Print and online just like there is room for brick and mortor stores and digital sales.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline rlse9

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 18, 2012, 03:09:05 PM »
There is room for Print and online just like there is room for brick and mortor stores and digital sales.
Is there?  I just read that Newsweek is the latest publication to go digital only because the costs of producing a print publication are too expensive and it takes too long in today's digital age to get the product to the readers.  Look at how many newspapers have gone under, how many magazines have gone under, and how many of the print publications still out there are bleeding money like there's no tomorrow.  There may still be a market for print publications but it's going to be a very niche market at best.  I'd say that being in the print market today is kind of like being in the horse and buggy business at the turn of last century.

Offline JMoney

• JWantsYourMoney
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
    • PureNintendo.com
« Reply #83 on: October 19, 2012, 07:07:50 AM »

So yeah I posted here a while back and forgot to check back.  I did not realize that we had started such a heated discussion about Kickstarter!  I wish I wouldn't have missed it.

Anyways, in reference to the above quotation.  What we posted on the Kickstarter from Issue #6 is just a small sampling from about 60 pages of content.  There is quite a bit packed into every issue of Pure Nintendo Magazine (PNM).  Our content is not just rehashes of what is on the internet or our website.  The magazine articles are original ideas, thoughts, opinions, and stories.  Honestly, you should wait to provide your 'review' of PNM until you have actually read through a few issues.

As for the availability of prior magazine issues, the first five magazines are available digitally.  Those issues can be found here: http://issuu.com/purenintendo and here: http://www.scribd.com/purenintendo.  The last issue, number six, can be ordered through MagCloud here: http://www.magcloud.com/user/purenintendo.  Issue six will cost you $13.50 for the print & digital editions or just $3.00 for the digital magazine.  Even though the fifth issue of PNM is free for it's digital edition, you can purchase issue #5 in print and also get a digital edition for $6.45.  They first 4 issues are digital only, sorry guys!

The team at Pure Nintendo strive to provide high quality, interesting, original content.  We are doing so now and will continue to do so in the future.  October Issue #7 is coming out very, very soon and we hope that many more people subscribe.  Issue #7 has exclusive Darksiders II concept art and Trine 2 art.  It is also packed with some great articles!  If at any time you have any questions, concerns, comments, or feedback, feel free to contact myself (jhinton@purenintendo.com) or anyone else on the Pure Nintendo team.  We can also be contacted through Facebook (www.Facebook.com/PureNintendo) and Twitter (www.Twitter.com/PureNintendo or www.Twitter.com/PureNintendoMag).  Subscriptions for Pure Nintendo Magazine can be purchased via the website: www.PureNintendo.com/Magazine and are available in print, digital, or a print & digital package.

A small side note we are looking to add some content into the December issue, number eight, straight from our readers!  If you have fond memories of Nintendo Power Magazine, then we want to hear them.  We will be including these in the December issue!  If you want to see your name in PNM in December, then send your favorite Nintendo Power Magazine memories to jhinton@purenintendo.com (please include your First Name and Last Initial so that we know who you are!).

And as always Pure Nintendo thanks all of our supporters, subscribers, and readers.

I will try not to completely disappear this time! :D 
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 08:33:54 AM by JMoney »
Justin 'J Money'
Assistant Editor @ PureNintendo.com
Writer @ Pure Nintendo Magazine

Offline CM30

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo 3DS Community
« Reply #84 on: October 19, 2012, 12:05:49 PM »
I've just e-mailed Justin at Pure Nintendo, and he confirmed that the staff there did not in any way provide the rest of the funding.  Here's the quote:

No, we did not provide the final funding ourselves.  Throughout the Kickstarter we were approached by a few investors that were interested in the project.  Some of these investors wanted to see us reach certain goals on the Kickstarter before they would back the project.  In this case, once we got past the $15k mark, the investor was willing to back the rest of the project
Nintendo 3DS Community, my forum

Long time Nintendo fan, Mario fan game player and writer.

Offline JMoney

• JWantsYourMoney
    • View Profile
    • PureNintendo.com
« Reply #85 on: October 19, 2012, 12:12:43 PM »
I've just e-mailed Justin at Pure Nintendo, and he confirmed that the staff there did not in any way provide the rest of the funding.  Here's the quote:

No, we did not provide the final funding ourselves.  Throughout the Kickstarter we were approached by a few investors that were interested in the project.  Some of these investors wanted to see us reach certain goals on the Kickstarter before they would back the project.  In this case, once we got past the $15k mark, the investor was willing to back the rest of the project

This is true.  The Kickstarter project did not reach the funding goal due to the staff at Pure Nintendo.  The Kickstarter was successful due to our readers, fans, and very generous investors.
Justin 'J Money'

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 19, 2012, 12:18:17 PM »
Great to hear. :D
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 19, 2012, 01:58:58 PM »

This is true.  The Kickstarter project did not reach the funding goal due to the staff at Pure Nintendo.  The Kickstarter was successful due to our readers, fans, and very generous investors.
Glad we can finally put this speculation to rest.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 30, 2012, 03:07:21 PM »
Got my first issue today.

...it was shipped via FedEx?

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 30, 2012, 03:56:25 PM »
I know mine is in the mail... maybe it's already waiting for me at home!
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: October 30, 2012, 04:46:02 PM »
I got mine Saturday.  My Twitter followers would not my confusion.  It was also printed by HP.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Drizzt

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 31, 2012, 10:04:28 AM »
I got my issue last night. The print quality was amazing, and the articles were both informative and fun to read. I can't wait for the next issue! :D

Offline JMoney

• JWantsYourMoney
    • View Profile
    • PureNintendo.com
« Reply #92 on: November 08, 2012, 04:17:13 PM »
It is great to hear such wonderful feedback! The team at Pure Nintendo loves to hear feedback from our readers so if you guys have more comments about Pure Nintendo Magazine, please let us know! We want the readers to be involved as possible so if you have questions, comments, concerns, or suggestions then we want to hear them. We will be starting to assemble Issue #8 for December very soon and we are aiming to ship issue #8 a little earlier in the month so you guys can get it before Christmas!
Justin 'J Money'