Linked Events

• NSMB Wii release: November 15, 2009

Author Topic: New Super Mario Bros. Wii  (Read 226369 times)

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
Re: New Super Mario Bros. Wii
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2009, 04:58:56 PM »
Interesting. Granted, they showed one level, but it seems to suffer from the same problem as NSMB on DS: too easy, too simplistic. I like 2D Mario games so I'll keep an eye on it.

Well to be fair they probably were on the beginning stage and considering how crappy they were, I don't think they'd put them on  hard stage!
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2009, 05:00:35 PM »
This game isn't finished yet, maybe the two Toads are just placeholders.

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2009, 08:04:56 PM »
Mop really wants one of those placeholders to be Birdo. XD
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2009, 08:10:32 PM »
No I don't want Birdo to be a placeholder, I'd want him in the game!
But I think it would be really weird if players 3 and 4 were both Toad, so they are probably placeholders. It would be really cool if Wario and Waluigi were in the game, Waluigi really needs a chance at platforming action. Dreamingly the elite eight would be there: Mario, Luigi, Peach, Donkey Kong, Yoshi, Daisy, Wario, Waluigi.

Offline jakeOSX

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2009, 08:23:02 PM »
penguin suit for the win.

Offline jakeOSX

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2009, 08:24:53 PM »

But I think it would be really weird if players 3 and 4 were both Toad

agreed, who would want to be player four then? seems to me that they can find one more person to be there.. (i'm looking at you Master Chief, you know you want to do the greatest crossover in gaming history...)

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2009, 09:02:30 PM »
After the initial excitement, and looking more in depth at the in game footage thus far, I'm a bit concerned.  Obviously, the level lay outs need to be wider, like Mario Kart Wii to accommodate the new players, but the platforming looks a bit bland compared to the other Mario Bros games.  Almost reminds me of what a Mario Bros level would like like if you could create your own.  The reason why Mario Bros will always be the top performer is they understood you had to carefully construct the jumps, tubes, and other obstacles to create a level that has a rhythm to it. 

Hopefully, later videos to come will put these fears to rest.
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2009, 09:09:45 PM »
I know they're going for consistency graphics wise, but....

Wario Land: Shake It > New Super Mario Bros. Wii

Offline Snipper64

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • Snipper64
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2009, 09:13:08 PM »
I am sorry to be the "bad cop" but I have to state my view on this game...

I grew up, playing, mastering, and loving SMB, SM3, and SMW... I couldn't be happyer buying this New super mario bros, but when I played it, I saw quickly I disliked it. It has little conection to SMB, more to SM3, or better yet a 2d SM64, as you can wall jump. I won't go into detail how I disliked New SMB, but I will say I hope number two AT LEAST brought back some origanal music, not that stupid world song on NSMB, that was so annyoing.

I will say, the best thing that did come out of NSMB is.... THE BLUE SHELL! man, that had to be one of the best mario power ups of all time, a blue shell of raging death!

Reagaurdless of my feelings on number 1, I will give number two a shot before I say anything negitive about it!
I am matter...I am antimatter...I can see your past...I can see your future...I consume time...and I will consume you!

VOTE FOR CHOANIKI! you know you want too...

Offline Snipper64

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • Snipper64
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2009, 09:14:43 PM »
I know they're going for consistency graphics wise, but....

Wario Land: Shake It > New Super Mario Bros. Wii

Agreed, great graphics, GOOD platforming, and while lacks as many powerups, it did make up for it in bosses, levels,  challange, and of course humor!
I am matter...I am antimatter...I can see your past...I can see your future...I consume time...and I will consume you!

VOTE FOR CHOANIKI! you know you want too...

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2009, 09:14:59 PM »
Closer to my favorite game of all time, SMB3, the better.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2009, 09:23:18 PM »
I have a theory on the toads. Remember how Mario Kart DS could do single cart multiplayer games? The players who didn't own the game had to play as ShyGuys. Maybe this game allows you to invite non-game owners to join in a game but they have to play as a toad?

Come on, awesome idea, yes?
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2009, 09:26:55 PM »
I have a theory on the toads. Remember how Mario Kart DS could do single cart multiplayer games? The players who didn't own the game had to play as ShyGuys. Maybe this game allows you to invite non-game owners to join in a game but they have to play as a toad?

You didn't express love for Super Mario Sunshine, so no the idea is not awesome. :P

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2009, 09:43:24 PM »
I will say, the best thing that did come out of NSMB is.... THE BLUE SHELL! man, that had to be one of the best mario power ups of all time, a blue shell of raging death!
Goomba's Shoe in SMB3 > everything

Tanooki Suit also deserves mention because it was neat.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2009, 10:18:46 PM »

You didn't express love for Super Mario Sunshine, so no the idea is not awesome. :P

Hey! Now wait just one minute there. I have defended Sunshine multiple times on this very forum. Why, just days ago there was an outbreak in the Pre-E3/Predictions thread concerning the awesomisity of Sunshine and I was fighting close to a one man battle there (I think, can't remember) and I don't recall you stepping in there. So :P!

I just can't do ANYTHING to please you, can I GP? Am I doomed to  be ridiculed and mocked by you for all eternity?  ;)
My Game Collection

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2009, 11:00:00 PM »
Goomba's Shoe in SMB3 > everything
It will always be known as the Kuribo's Shoe to me. Gotta love hasty manual translations...

All of the suits in Super Mario Brothers 3 really need to make a comeback. They weren't really utilized very well since they were never required to beat a stage, so there are still many things which can be done with them. The Hammer Brother suit was especially awesome.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2009, 11:30:45 PM »
I remember trying to beat all of SMB3 with a Hammer Brother suit. Forget how far I got with it, at least a few levels.
My Game Collection

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2009, 11:34:21 PM »
How did you get one in the first world? Game Genie?

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2009, 11:36:24 PM »
I meant from the point where you get it. I get it, put it on, and play from there. Though you could use whistles to warp back to world one if you really wanted.
My Game Collection

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 02, 2009, 11:39:51 PM »
Though you could use whistles to warp back to world one if you really wanted.
No you can't. At least, not in the original NES version. If you use the Warp Whistle in World 6 (earliest you can get a Hammer Brother suit), you'll be taken to the warp tier containing 5, 6, and 7. You could go back to World 5, but not World 1, it isn't available on any tier.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 02, 2009, 11:41:10 PM »
You could get the Hammer Brother suit in World 1 in Super Mario Advance 4 using the e-Reader. :)
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #46 on: June 02, 2009, 11:43:44 PM »
Also in the GBA version you keep your items after you beat the game and you can try to beat all the levels in any suit (Frog Suit sucks, I never liked that item. It sucks on land and it's not much of a improvement in water).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 02, 2009, 11:44:11 PM »
Though you could use whistles to warp back to world one if you really wanted.
No you can't. At least, not in the original NES version. If you use the Warp Whistle in World 6 (earliest you can get a Hammer Brother suit), you'll be taken to the warp tier containing 5, 6, and 7. You could go back to World 5, but not World 1, it isn't available on any tier.

Use two at once? I could have sworn you can loop back to the beginning if you tried to warp farther than level 8.
My Game Collection

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #48 on: June 02, 2009, 11:45:51 PM »
Nope, that would just keep you at World 8.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 02, 2009, 11:48:46 PM »
Nope, that would just keep you at World 8.

Then maybe I'm thinking of the GBA version or something. Or maybe I just assume that's what happened and just remember the anger at wasting a warp whistle. I think I played through an entire game all the way to world eight without using a whistle and tried it. So I may just be completely off my rocker.
My Game Collection