Author Topic: Phantasy Star Zero-NA-11-10-09  (Read 14331 times)

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
Re: Phantasy Star Zero Heading to NA and Europe in the Fall!
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2009, 10:40:25 PM »
My purchase of this game will be completely dependent on:

1)  When it comes out (can't have any other big releases near it!)
2)  If other NWR users get it

Hope Bill still gets this.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline TofuFury

• Made you look!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Phantasy Star Zero-NA-11-10-09
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2009, 02:09:36 AM »
It's been one of my most anticipated titles all year. I won't be getting it day one due to finances, but probably by the end of the month.
TheNorthSea/TofuFury

"So, Mike, no skydiving Grandma, huh? Man, they lead you up to something great, and then they just shoot it down. Stupid grandma-leaver-outers" - Tom Servo

Offline jakeOSX

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2009, 03:39:37 PM »
glad i saw this, just put in the order on amazon.... just gotta get a paper written for class before i can open it.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2009, 02:09:51 AM »
This game is awesome. I'm a little confused as to why the game cuts to a different screen when you talk to someone, but that's a minor gripe. The X button doesn't do anything. It could have been an extra action button or a quick weapon change. Again, not a big deal though.

Graphics are awesome, anime cutscenes look good and I like the randomly generated stages.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2009, 02:19:31 AM »
Have you played online yet Adrock?
If so what did you think?
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Minsc

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2009, 02:43:53 PM »
The X button doesn't do anything. It could have been an extra action button or a quick weapon change. Again, not a big deal though.

Actually, it does have a function.  Hold down the X button and you'll automatically pick up an item when you walk over it (basically it simulates tapping the button).  Also can be used to activate switches and talk to people.  Pressing L or R while holding the X button rotates the camera (outside of town).

Online works like a charm.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2009, 08:29:09 PM »
Allow me to rephrase, X button doesn't do anything important. It's great and all that it allows me to pick up an item when I walk over it, but having it act as an action button instead is far more useful. The L button centers the camera behind you which basically does everything you need the camera to do in a game like this.

Haven't tried online yet.

Offline Minsc

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2009, 08:35:26 AM »
I do agree, it have been nice if it was part of the action palette.  The original PSO on the Dreamcast was pretty much the same way.  A, B, and X could be customized and Y was used to access the visual keyboard, word select, and symbol chat.  PSO ver2 introduced a "quick menu" you could access by pressing Y when holding R.  This quick menu allowed you to quite easily change weapons, use items, and cast techs not in your action palette.  A couple easy to hit buttons on the right side of the touch screen would have been nice.  Oh wells.

PS0 does have some shortcuts.  L + Start will take you to the Item menu while R + Start will take you to the Equip menu.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2009, 08:48:24 AM »
Many games assume that having one button to center the camera behind you is enough in terms of camera controls and they are all wrong.

Offline jakeOSX

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2009, 01:16:27 PM »
thanks for the camera tip, i knew about L, but rotating the camera would be more useful at times.

i am at lvl 6, but that dragon bumped me off. will try again post homework. I am surprised at how little the touch pad does.

and i agree, the game is awsome. i look forward to some online play with you guys soon.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2009, 12:04:56 AM »
The one button camera control worked perfectly fine in Ocarina of Time...... and still worked in Twilight Princess for Wii. KDR failzorz.

I haven't come across a time when I absolutely needed to rotate the camera in PS0. The areas are all pretty small. I guess it's nice that it's there, but I'd rather be able to map another spell or item to the X button.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2009, 03:33:53 AM »
It didn't work fine in OOT and I made sure to buy the GC version of TP to avoid that crap.

Offline Minsc

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2009, 09:12:48 PM »
Here's my pixel x pixel visual chat creation.  Was quite time consuming to make.

Now, I have a question.  Why are only maybe two reviews for this game?  It's been well over a week since release and there's hardly been a peep.  Sega must have put out some sort of restraining order or something. o_o

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2009, 09:40:35 PM »
Don't really need reviews when you already know the game is awesome. It's one of the finest games Sega has released in a long time and proof that if Sonic Team actually acts like it gives a sh*t once in a while, they're still capable of developing good games. And I think a better question is why did it take Sega almost a year to localize this game.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2009, 10:26:28 AM »
How's this game work for single player?

I've never played a Phantasy Star game, and I've honestly got no idea if I should be interested in this one.  Seriously.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2009, 11:11:56 AM »
Now, I have a question.  Why are only maybe two reviews for this game?  It's been well over a week since release and there's hardly been a peep.  Sega must have put out some sort of restraining order or something. o_o

Or maybe they just didn't give the reviewers free copies and they aren't going to buy their own.

Offline jakeOSX

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2009, 09:05:28 AM »
@thatguy

the single and multiplayer aspects are nearly the same. the game flow goes like this: you are in town where you can shop, talk to people, etc. from there you go to the quest desk to get a quest (only one at a time). once you have a quest you can grab NPC's to join you (up to three) and then you get beamed out to the location of the quest.

there is a story that you will be apart of, which so far is pretty interesting.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2009, 09:25:39 AM »
What do the quests consist of?  Is it real-time combat?  Turn based?  That's the bulk of what I don't know! :p

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 21, 2009, 01:56:46 PM »
The quests are pretty straightforward. They almost always involve just completing the stage again, even if you're technically looking for something. One has you trying to get some plant for the mayor, but it conveniently only grows in the boss room.

The combat is real-time. You can connect a 3-hit combo with timed button presses and combine strong and weak attacks which get stronger with each hit. The game has made very little progress in terms of game design since 2000 when Phantasy Star Online first came out on Dreamcast, but it's still pretty entertaining. They've added randomly generated dungeons (I think that was introduced in Universe), new weapon classes and new character types. I wasn't a fan of the Universe series (includes the Portable sub-series on PSP) though I only played the first PSU. Zero is definitely the best thing since Phantasy Star Online: Episodes I and II on Gamecube.

Toshiyuki Kubooka's (Lunar series) artwork is a welcome addition to the series. The story could use some work. Sega went out of its way to hire 2 Japanese mystery novelists to pen the story, but it still plays out like a high school creative writing class submission.

Visual chat is okay, but the game could have really benefit from voice chat. I know you can save chat shortcuts I just would have preferred voice chat.

Offline rbtr

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2009, 10:17:45 PM »
So this game is fun!

now lets all play it together!

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2009, 07:13:09 PM »
F you, Eternal Tower. Srsly....

Offline jakeOSX

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 14, 2009, 06:16:57 PM »
so i dig this game a lot, even though i cannot kill that stupid squid.