Author Topic: New Movies still in Theaters coming to VOD NOW!!!! Thanks to COVID-19  (Read 7961 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
I know COVID-19 sucks, but there is always a silver lining to a storm cloud or another side to the coin or whatever saying you could fit in here right not.

Point being that all this "shelter" "social distancing" " and "self-quarantine" is the perfect opportunity for the world at large to push a digital revolution and transform how we deal with our everyday lives using technology at hand.

Long story short.... (save the whole conversation for another topic at another time) some theaters that are either in theaters now or about to hit theaters soon, will now be coming to Video On Demand for home rental.

NBCUniversal is first to make the move:
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/nbcuniversal-breaks-theatrical-window-will-make-movies-available-demand-immediately-1284844?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

NBCUniversal on Monday announced its current movies from the Universal Pictures stable — including the upcoming event family movie Trolls World Tour — will be made available on demand at the same time they hit those theaters that remain open during the coronavirus pandemic.
[...]
Movies will be made available on a wide variety of on-demand services for a 48-hour rental period at a suggested retail price of $19.99 in the U.S. and the price equivalent in international markets. The announcement was made by NBCUniversal CEO Jeff Shell. Insiders say it isn't a blanket policy for the studio's entire 2020 calendar and that decisions regarding other titles and the duration of the policy haven't been made yet.

Rather, the studio is hoping to provide options for consumers who cannot or should not go to cinemas.

That's rather nice of them, now watch to see how many people set up "Watch Parties" and rent a movie for 30 of their closest friends and family to all watch together. lol

Other movies from the article on the VOD release list are:
The Hunt, The Invisible Man, and Emmo

Sony also to release Bloodshot on VOD as well (saved from a disappointing B.O. Run I'm sure. LOL)
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/sony-release-bloodshot-demand-early-1285261

All of this of course comes on the heels of all the theater basically shutting down for the time being:
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/amc-theatres-close-all-locations-as-cinemas-us-go-dark-1285012

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
Re: New Movies still in Theaters coming to VOD NOW!!!! Thanks to COVID-19
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2020, 06:24:39 PM »
Seeing a lot of these movies come to VOD is awesome.  It means the studios are adapting, and we won't be stuck with twice as many movies coming out and overwhelming theatres once all this passes.

The pricing for some that I've seen makes sense, but it doesn't make sense for me.  In most markets, $20 is less than the cost of two tickets (unless you're at a $5 Tuesday type place or have cheap matinees).  But as someone who lives alone, I cannot justify $20 for one movie at home.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2020, 10:32:47 PM »
that's why you invite over all your friends, family and neighbors, at $5 a head, and now the movie is making you money /$

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
Onward on VOD today - Streaming on D+ April 3rd
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2020, 10:33:28 AM »
Onward in on VOD as of today!! (Disney is selling it for $20)

....but hold on.

it will be streaming on D+ starting April 3, for those of you not rushing to pay double theater price to see it now!!!! (it'll be cheaper to just wait, and subscribe to D+ for a month)

My 3yr for the price of 2 D+ subscription just became worth a little bit more (but my MCU Content better still get here by early 2021 at the latest)

and if you're looking for a few quick laughs, read the first few comments. LMAO
https://twitter.com/disneyplus/status/1240986457755418625

edit:
Birds of Prey and The Gentlemen are also being released early on VOD 3/24. (next Tuesday)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 10:50:11 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
Onward on VOD today - Streaming on D+ April 3rd
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2020, 11:11:29 AM »
Another deal for all you Disney Movie Reward people

from SlickDeals: 650 DMR points for a Free $20 Rental

Through FandangoNOW there is a $6 Promo Code to get the 650 point for the Free $20 rental. (If I'm understanding this correctly)
https://www.disneymovieinsiders.com/reward/564370

Disney Movie Insider Members offers Select Home Premiere Movies for 650 DMR Points when you follow directions below. Thanks persian_mafia

Note, you must be a Disney Movie Rewards Member with a minimum of 650 Points in your account to participate in this offer.

Instructions:
Click here and if prompted, sign into FandangoNOW then click "Redeem Now"
(edit: link provided: https://www.disneymovieinsiders.com/reward/564370)
Once you redeem points, you can find code here
Select from the following movies
The Invisible Man (2020) (Digital HD Rental)
Emma (2020) (Digital HD Rental)
The Hunt (Digital HD Rental)
Select the HD $19.99 rent option
Click, "promo code"
Enter promo code from Disney Movie Insiders
Price becomes $0.00
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 11:17:38 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2020, 07:49:30 PM »
Even before the virus I probably mentioned how the idea of theaters was becoming obsolescent in a modern world where its becoming common to have 75 inch TVs.

Ok I just had a weird thought. Do they still sell tv by the inch in Europe?
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2020, 03:50:57 PM »
Unfortunately yes, TVs are still "Sold" in diagonal inches as are monitors, easier to market and too much inertia.  However every other metric is in metric.

that's why you invite over all your friends, family and neighbors, at $5 a head, and now the movie is making you money /$
Plague parties!
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2020, 07:37:11 PM »
Even before the virus I probably mentioned how the idea of theaters was becoming obsolescent in a modern world where its becoming common to have 75 inch TVs.

Ok I just had a weird thought. Do they still sell tv by the inch in Europe?

Yes they are. The metric measurement is usually mentioned on the box somewhere.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2020, 08:32:56 PM »
Plague parties!
Making me money, but possibly getting me infected!

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2020, 04:21:29 AM »
Unfortunately yes, TVs are still "Sold" in diagonal inches as are monitors, easier to market and too much inertia.  However every other metric is in metric.

Plague parties!

I wouldn't say it's unfortunate. I use different systems for different things. I'd rather cook and do science stuff with metric units. For weather I prefer Fahrenheit, for most other things temperature related I would use Celsius. I couldn't tell you what temperature water boils in Fahrenheit off the top of my head. I'd have to look it up. Celsius is based around the boiling and freezing point of water(or at least used to be) and Fahrenheit is based on a statistical analysis of the hottest and coldest days of the year. In the rare case you need to do sciency stuff at very extreme temperatures you should probably use Kelvin.

As far as tv goes. Measuring them in meters would be more useful. a 75 inch TV would be 1.9 meters. Using inches is only useful under 2ft. Like when you get a 24 inch TV it should really be labeled as a 2ft TV in imperial. People who use the imperial system don't think of things in terms of inches except for small objects. 75 inches seems abstract except when comparing to other TV sizes. The only other thing I use inches for is toy size and human height.  Building size makes more sense to me in meters. A 75inch TV would make more sense as 6.25 ft,  6'3'',  2.08 yards, or 1.9 meters. 1900mm would seem like adding a step. Though, moving the decimal over 2 places isn't hard. At least in the case of meters people who use imperial see a meter and can do the math in their head that a meter is roughly a yard and a yard is 3 ft.

When I make video game levels I throw out regular systems of measurement entirely. Nothing looks correct under those. I measure things in door heights and car lengths. Though in the right engine you can change the field of view and fix that. I guess in Ocarina of Time Link's walking stride was something huge to make it look right.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2020, 01:44:33 PM »
Day to day imperial units annoy me as they are relics that just won't go away. If you have a group that has a traditional measurement you want to keep to yourself ok, but the outside is metric. I am especially annoyed when watching something online and they would use imperial units without a metric conversion anywhere. It is especially bad with Fahrenheit as that is just nonsense shameful unit of measurement.

There are very useful specific exceptions for marine and aviation though.

That said selling by diagonal is in itself dumb and smart. The average peep would be durrr, 50 inch/cm TV please. 50 inches/cm is near meaningless without the aspect ratio. It's not technically useful but great for marketing.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2020, 03:36:49 PM »
Since the United States is largely shut down due to Coronavirus, we should just change to the metric system while no one is looking.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2020, 05:08:32 PM »
Gas prices are in a bit of a flux, so people might not notice they're buying gas by the litre for a while.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2020, 02:07:19 AM »
I watched The Hunt last night.

To simplify it as much as possible, this is basically The Purge, if the political roles are reversed and the subjects were targeted. I'm not really sure how to rate this one other than to say that The Purge was better and had a much deeper societal and political narrative. It's clear the intent is to poke fun to the stereotypical republican voting demo which I think they covered in the most on the nose way you could, but I can't help but feel they also poked fun at the Dem protagonist in this as well. I don't really want to spoil anything, but it's not the worst way to waste 1hr:45 minutes.

I also just watched Onward, and this was a pretty good one, and it has tons of humor, but Pixar always seems to know how to pluck at those emotional strings too. This was a fun magical adventure, and much different than how I remember the trailer portraying the movie. This one I recommend to anyone who likes Pixar and/or has kids in the house looking for something to watch.

I'm hoping to check out The Invisible Man in the next few days as well. I keep hearing that's a good one.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2020, 07:08:46 PM »
I have to say I watched Emma an additional FOUR times because of this. I had a timely Google Play promotion where I could rent any movie for $1.49 and... well of course I chose a $19.99 movie to use the promotion on! ^_^

I love how since it's essentially a rental now, that fee covers multiple viewings over 48 hours. If I luck out and end up watching a good one, I can immediately go back and watch it AGAIN unlike in physical movie theaters where they kick you out into the cold night air as soon as Star Wars ended and you're like "I had fun, right? That was a good movie, right? Maybe? Maybe.... not?"
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2020, 03:54:11 AM »
I don't know if you remember, but I used to treat the theater like an amusement park. We'd map out the showings, and split into kids and adults and then family movies. we'd usually get in 2-3, but I think in one marathon session, we managed 4-5 movies... I can't remember, just know that my ass hurt from being in those seats that long, and we could only stomach so much snuck in cold fast and overpriced theater food/snacks/drinks. never attempted that one again.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2020, 08:12:58 AM »
That sounds like a ton of fun! Frankly I DO enjoy going to a theatre, especially an indie one where I can really just relax and give myself permission to indulge a bit.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2020, 05:20:59 AM »
When I think of movie experiences, I have enjoyed a few double features, but I really want to be comfortable then, and have good food there and snacks.  I mean the home experience just has so many more benefits that these days I will only go to the theater for the spectacle movies...the big budget crazy action movies that you want to soak in every detail because too much is going on screen to take it all in.  More serious stories and dramas are better at home, because you can really sit and contemplate the movie. 

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2020, 11:49:38 AM »
I agree.

Movie theaters for me now are BLOCKBUSTERS (MCU Movies, Big Action/Hero movies) and sometimes Horror.
Most comedies and drama's I'd rather watch at home.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2020, 04:27:47 PM »
Since the United States is largely shut down due to Coronavirus, we should just change to the metric system while no one is looking.

I think technically we did. We just don't use it. I remember being in 1st grade and my 1st grade teacher being like "we're switching to the metric system, ya'll are going to need to need to know this"  This was in 1989. Since then I've only really used it in educational settings. There is interstate 19 in the Tucson area. The signs are all metric there. I thought maybe because I was going through the Tohono Oʼodham reservation and they decided to be cool. I looked it up though, it was because of Jimmy Carter.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2020, 04:38:05 PM »
I think technically we did. We just don't use it.
Then, no, we didn’t, technically or otherwise.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2020, 04:47:46 PM »
The only thing that really changed was soda coming in 2 litre bottles.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2020, 12:02:13 AM »
These aren't new, but FREE to RENT BLACK MOVIES #BLM
https://store.cineplex.com/promo/understandingblackstories.aspx?utm_source=%40cineplexmovies_-_tw&utm_medium=social&utm_term=organic&utm_content=special_offer&utm_campaign=store&linkId=90230280&fbclid=IwAR1wZTRUY9Kh89y8sBt8xdUm9DH5hKjJErKSh9tm49FfXFlM9YvXHRyfzTE

special promo for a limited time.

List:
Full List:

Just Mercy
Toni Morrison The Pieces I Am
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
Amistad
Loving
12 Years a Slave
The Hate U Give
Marshall
Monsters and Men
Get Out
The Hurricane
Remember the Titans
I Am Not Your Negro
Boyz N The Hood
Fruitvale Station
Ali
If Beale Street Could Talk
Spike Lee's Do The Right Thing
42: The Jackie Robinson Story
Selma
Detroit
Blindspotting
The Pursuit of Happiness
Lean on Me
Akeelah and the Bee
Keep on Keepin' On
Glory
The Color Purple
Hidden Figures
Queen & Slim
Moonlight
The Photograph
Coach Carter
Pariah
For Colored Girls
Poetic Justice
Malcolm X
Ray
Mandela Long Walk to Freedom
Step
Us
Coach Carter
Selma
Waves

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2020, 12:59:22 PM »
Lotta great movies on that list. Fruitvale Station comes highly recommended, it documents the last day Oscar Grant was alive before being killed by police at, well, Fruitvale Station. It's Ryan Coogler's first feature film, starring Michael B. Jordan who would continue working together for Creed and Black Panther.

Hidden Figures is great too, one of the many great recent movies about space travel. This one focuses on the black women who worked at NASA to calculate how to launch John Glenn into orbit. Stars actors like Janelle Monáe, Octavia Spencer, and Kirsten Dunst. Great score too from Pharrel Williams, Hans Zimmer, and more.