Author Topic: Nintendo, 2d platformers, evil Colonel Sanders Spiders, what's not to like?  (Read 30127 times)

Offline jasonditz

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Just got this in an email today... I haven't posted in awhile so I apologize in advance if its already been discussed.

Pretty nice graphics for a flash app, and the inclusion of Nintendo mascots was a nice touch.  

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
How long does this game go on for?  I just beat world 3 and I'm already bored.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Sir_Stabbalot

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
Wow, Nintendo needs to slap PETA with a big lawsuit.
"I am going away, but the State will always remain" - Louis XIV, on his deathbed.

"Chimps are like fine wine: I drink them both." - A friend of a friend of mine.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
I'd suggest someone make an anti-Peta game is response but Burgertime is probably already sufficient.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
Alright, I beat the game.  It was dull.

There are five levels total.  My final score was 90,600, which was good enough to earn me 2nd place among all "recent" scores.  Not sure what that means.  

If anyone cares, the secret code to play as Pam is GOPAM!
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
I too went though the game.  I don't recommend it.  Strangely enough, I did not see anything mentioning that the various characters and concepts were Nintendo copyrights...

Also, who's brilliant idea was it to name one of the main characters "Nugget"?
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
Wow I hope Nintendo sues their asses off, what a terrible rip off of a game.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile

Originally posted by: UncleBob
I too went though the game.  I don't recommend it.  Strangely enough, I did not see anything mentioning that the various characters and concepts were Nintendo copyrights...

Also, who's brilliant idea was it to name one of the main characters "Nugget"?

"Nugget" was my brother's pet name, given to him by my older cousin when I was like, 9. My bro was nugget and I was nibble. My older cousin was bite and her younger sister was cupcake.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile

Originally posted by: Mashiro

Umm... did you guys that are saying this play the game at all? Mario, Luigi, and Dr. Mario are actually in cutscenes in the game, this is fairly obviously either a collaborative work between Nintendo and PETA or some sort of licensing deal.

Offline UERD

• View Profile
Highly doubtful. PETA does this kind of stuff all the time.
"I'm looking for shrunken heads w/ DVD playback options. I figure I can hang them in my car like dice. Will you help me?"
- thatguy

"Can you shoot out customizable fireballs? Then why should your Mii be able to?"
- vudu

Offline Sir_Stabbalot

• View Profile
And there's no copyright information.

Also, while it's OK to parody something (in this case KFC), you can't use one trademark to parody another.
"I am going away, but the State will always remain" - Louis XIV, on his deathbed.

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile

Originally posted by: jasonditz

Originally posted by: Mashiro

Umm... did you guys that are saying this play the game at all? Mario, Luigi, and Dr. Mario are actually in cutscenes in the game, this is fairly obviously either a collaborative work between Nintendo and PETA or some sort of licensing deal.

I dunno. . .

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
Guys, I'm telling you, there's no way this was done without Nintendo's knowledge. PETA and Nintendo have been on very good terms for quite some time. They gave Nintendogs an award and almost every give-away contest they have for their site for school children has Nintendo merchandise (including one late last year where they were giving away Wiis and Zelda: TP)

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
Yeah, and then Yoshi says he refuses to let Mario order him around any more.  I thought it was clear that Mario and Yoshi are friends and partners!  Besides, Yoshi can drive!  He's smart enough to say no if he doesn't want something to happen!

I'm almost certain they did this without Nintendo's permission.  The were no copyrights or trademarks listed, and Nintendo is pretty protective of their star mascot outside of their intended use.  They don't like to give the guy away to just anyone, and usually, they only do it when it should benefit them a lot.  Making an enemy out of KFC/Pepsi is not their idea of a good business deal.  Nintendo had nothing to do with this.

Also, the point of the game is not to educate you about how chickens are treated at KFC.  The true point is to make the inside of KFC look disgusting to anyone who plays, so that when he or she thinks of KFC, he/she things of a dirty, greasy, rat and bug filled restaurant.  That became pretty obvious once you get in the building.  The entire thing disgusts me, because it's pretty underhanded, especially when you consider the high chance that if KFC were to give away their chickens to PETA, PETA would likely anesthetize them in a van a few yards away.  Such a wonderful organization, huh?

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
Also Mario and Luigi being shown with their arms broken from playing "too much" Wii doesn't seem like something Nintendo would do.

Offline UERD

• View Profile

Also, the point of the game is not to educate you about how chickens are treated at KFC. The true point is to make the inside of KFC look disgusting to anyone who plays, so that when he or she thinks of KFC, he/she things of a dirty, greasy, rat and bug filled restaurant. That became pretty obvious once you get in the building. The entire thing disgusts me, because it's pretty underhanded, especially when you consider the high chance that if KFC were to give away their chickens to PETA, PETA would likely anesthetize them in a van a few yards away. Such a wonderful organization, huh?

PETA is the definition of underhanded, like how Jack Thompson operates: making false claims, bad associations (like how Bioshock was developed by Rockstar, supposedly), demonization of the enemy, and general all-around sensationalism.

I had a few good satire flash games in my collection, but I don't think they'd be wholly appropriate to link to here. Besides, I lost the links a long time ago.
"I'm looking for shrunken heads w/ DVD playback options. I figure I can hang them in my car like dice. Will you help me?"
- thatguy

"Can you shoot out customizable fireballs? Then why should your Mii be able to?"
- vudu

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
I'm simultaneously fascinated by the amount of hate there is for PETA, and vaguely creeped out by it.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile

I'm simultaneously fascinated by the amount of hate there is for PETA, and vaguely creeped out by it.

Creeped out about the hate for PETA?  Do some real research.  The people in charge are terrible people.  The ideas they have are criminal.  The things they do to animals are inhumane.  A good start might be a special Penn and Teller did on PETA in some HBO-ish series.  It'll help you understand why reasonable, educated people hate PETA.  Although, to be fair, there are a lot of people out there that are ignorant to PETA's darker ideals.  Initially, people think the group would be for animal protection, a great cause.  However, PETA typically euthanize mistreated pets, rather than rehabilitate them.  They actually don't believe in pet ownership.  They think animals one-and-all should be treated entirely like our equals.  There's lot's of contradiction between what they do and what they say.  They are a terrible group.

A comparable instance, though I don't know if it was PETA organized or not, was an issue recently voted on in my hometown a few years ago.  The issue was whether or not to restrict tying up sow (female pigs) when they give birth.  Several people in the town thought that this was a cruel thing to do from hearing it initially.  The truth, however, is that a sow might eat her young under stress.  This act was for pigs protection, as they could be eaten, but due to misinformation and ignorance, many did not perceive the law this way.

Unfortunately, I do not know how the vote turned out.

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
Dude... 99% of the people in the world are terrible people. Surely we can't be expected to hate them all.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
I do.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile

I do.

I do.

Does that mean we're married?

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
I think my wife might object to that.

Offline Sir_Stabbalot

• View Profile

Dude... 99% of the people in the world are terrible people. Surely we can't be expected to hate them all.

No, 99% of people in the world are flawed.

Anyway, really, look at some of the stuff PETA does. Like adopting animals from shelters, then euthanize them in a van and drop the bodies off in a river. I'm serious.

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile

Originally posted by: Sir_Stabbalot

No, 99% of people in the world are flawed.

Anyway, really, look at some of the stuff PETA does. Like adopting animals from shelters, then euthanize them in a van and drop the bodies off in a river. I'm serious.

That's horrible.

Now I hate PETA too.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile

I think my wife might object to that.

As far as we know, those could have been your toes in the red socks!