Author Topic: Toonami reviews the Wii  (Read 4105 times)

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Toonami reviews the Wii
« on: March 20, 2007, 06:42:17 AM »
Not the ultimate review of the system, but its quite interesting.

Beware the cheese, though!

Yeah, I know the video itself is stupid as hell, BUT this proves that the Wii has mainstream appeal unlike any Nintendo console before it.

I mean, Toonami is where a lot of popular anime shows air (like Naruto and DBZ) and the boys can't get enough of them. So if they see this they will be interested.

In other words, if the boys see that their favorite programming block APPROVES of the system and its games, they will get interest and urge their parents to get it as well as demand others to follow suit. Just hearing that Wii Sports is a great game brings me joy.

Also, Toonami used to favor a lot of PS2 games in the past, so this is quite the change.

Not like the Wii needs it at the moment, but ANY TV spot for the Wii is very welcomed.  
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
RE: Toonami reviews the Wii
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007, 06:53:24 AM »
I've always assumed reviews on Toonami were paid advertisements.

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2007, 07:03:32 AM »
"It's pretty dope!"

Ah ha ha... oh man, that's awful.

Shows how long it has been since I watched anything on Toonami, though, as I was surprised not to see the humanoid "stormtrooper-like" guy with the raspy voice presenting it... I assume he has been gone for quite awhile.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

• Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2007, 07:11:10 AM »
He was "upgraded" again just this past week, and they made him look so fruity I could hardly believe it.  They even gave him a couple of friends, one of which is the one who "reviewed" the Wii.  It looks to me like they're targeting Toonami at a younger audience with this change.  They did that when the weekday afternoon version got totally rebranded to Miguzi, or however it's spelled.  It bodes ill for future programming, but I'm getting too off topic, even for me.

Offline Blue Plant

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • My site.
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2007, 07:14:32 AM »
I guess they know just who they're reviewing it to, by mentioning the graphics more than once.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2007, 07:18:28 AM »
I saw it on TV during Naruto last week and I actually thought it was pretty well done.  Given the fact that they had to boil the whole thing down to that short little spot and attempt to cater to a younger audience, they got a lot of good information in there and captured what Nintendo is trying to do pretty well.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2007, 07:23:28 AM »
I thought it looked pretty well done.

And I don't think it was paid advertising, either, since the FIRST thing he say is "Well, it took a while, but I finally got a Wii." and he mentioned that the graphics weren't super overall.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
RE:Toonami reviews the Wii
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2007, 07:28:32 AM »

Originally posted by: Blue Plant
I guess they know just who they're reviewing it to, by mentioning the graphics more than once.

Well, Nintendo made it quite clear that they are not pursuing high end graphics, so its no surprise that some people view it as a system meant for great gameplay and not graphics.

And I agree with Pale. The commercial was short and cheesy, but very effective in selling the system.

I've seen worse for other games and systems, MUCH worse.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Blue Plant

• View Profile
    • My site.
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2007, 07:39:08 AM »

Originally posted by: pap64

Originally posted by: Blue Plant

Well, Nintendo made it quite clear that they are not pursuing high end graphics, so its no surprise that some people view it as a system meant for great gameplay and not graphics.

Oh, I understand completely.  But my point was that they (Toonami) at least know enough that their target audience is of the graphics-loving type to mention it more than once in this review.  It was nice otherwise, though!

• Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2007, 07:48:14 AM »

Originally posted by: Smash_Brother
I thought it looked pretty well done.

And I don't think it was paid advertising, either, since the FIRST thing he say is "Well, it took a while, but I finally got a Wii." and he mentioned that the graphics weren't super overall.

First of all, I am not complaining about the review.  However, that was the first day they used that new look for the programming block, and they've been teasing about it for a while now.  If they had done that review in the old style, they couldn't continue to air it (and they will, a lot) after the change.  There's really no telling how long they've been sitting on it.

Besides, it's a fictional character.  He could have just as easily claimed to have gotten the Wii from a museum on a time-trip to the future, and what he said about the graphics was hardly earthshaking.  Going by other Toonami reviews, the mild criticism is always obvious and probably just there to make them sound more honest.

The biggest reason I assume Toonami reviews are paid advertisements is that they are aired during commercial breaks.  Yeah, yeah, "When else could they air them, during Naruto?"  The point is, if they aren't getting paid to show the review, they could be paid to show a couple of commercials in the same time, and I cannot imagine the reviews being enough of a value-add to make them worth more to Cartoon Network than those commercials would be.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2007, 07:50:46 AM »
If I had to guess, and this is just a guess, it's probably unpaid but with a lot of baggage.  They want Nintendo to advertise during their shows.  Pissing them off with a silly review won't help that cause.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2007, 07:52:48 AM »

Originally posted by: Arbok
"It's pretty dope!"

Ah ha ha... oh man, that's awful.

Shows how long it has been since I watched anything on Toonami, though, as I was surprised not to see the humanoid "stormtrooper-like" guy with the raspy voice presenting it... I assume he has been gone for quite awhile.

Wasn't that bomberman or something?  

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2007, 08:21:28 AM »
Moltar?  Don't hate on Moltar.
---------------------

• Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2007, 10:02:14 AM »
Hmm, I didn't think Arbok was talking about Moltar, but that's probably right.  Since Moltar isn't white, I figured he meant the last version of Tom, who was not only white, but slightly more stormtrooper-like in general.  Moltar just looks like a guy in a radiation suit to me.

Offline Maverick

• Internet newbie :-)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2007, 03:34:19 PM »
Wow Tom looks really stupid now.  Good thing Toonami hasn't had anything good on it for around a decade, or I would be sad I had to watch that.
Come play with my Twitter.

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2007, 03:59:05 PM »

Originally posted by: PartyBear
He was "upgraded" again just this past week, and they made him look so fruity I could hardly believe it.  They even gave him a couple of friends, one of which is the one who "reviewed" the Wii.

Did they upgrade Tom's voice, too? Or does he still sound like Spike Spiegel?
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

• Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2007, 02:25:23 AM »
He's still voiced by the same person, the almost over-used Steven Blum.

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2007, 01:12:42 PM »

Originally posted by: Pale
Moltar?  Don't hate on Moltar.

Oh Moltar? I thought he meant that bomberman looking blue guy that eventually replaced Moltar.

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2007, 01:24:50 PM »
Whether this spot was paid for or Toonami did it because they wanted to, the important thing is that the Wii is highlighted and PRAISED. Like I said, lots of kids see Toonami every saturday and I don't care if the one doing it is a CG robot with cheesy street talk, if it sells at least ONE console I am fine with it.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Donutt007

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2007, 05:50:58 PM »
Man, I miss when Toonami used to show Thundercats! Haven't watched it at all in the past 3 years, thought it turned into Maguzi or something like that.  

Offline son of lucas

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2007, 02:22:41 AM »
I think it only runs on weekends now.

Guess endless reruns of Totally Spies trumps quality animation.