Author Topic: I'm still a little disappointed  (Read 3591 times)

Offline kirby_killer_dedede

• I SUK AT DIS ENTERNIT OK
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
I'm still a little disappointed
« on: October 07, 2004, 12:41:34 PM »
I thought today we'd see the games in full blast, and we did...but what I was really wanting to see is how all those map screens would be replaced, and as far as I can see, most of the second screens in first party games are still homes to map screens/useless information.  Does anyone else feel the same way?
WHY HELLO THAR MR. ANDERSUN

4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
RE: I'm still a little disappointed
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2004, 12:43:26 PM »
I'm disappointed in the fact that you needed to make a whole new topic for whining...

(I think the most important aspect is the use of the touch screen in games, really, which Ninty looks to be doing quite well so far)
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Zach

• Bad Title
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2004, 12:55:00 PM »
Dont you worry, I do not think that nintendo would come up with all of these features without having a lot of stuff in mind for them
WiiCode: 2469 4326 9885 9257

Offline Nile Boogie

• that is why you fail
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2004, 02:39:39 PM »
Ridge Racer DS, the fact that you steer with the touch pad in a sign the developers are thinking in a new direction.  Maybe I'm missing something since I'm browsing from my SideKick but the graphics don't seem to be up to par with what I expected, and no I haven't been spoiled by newer generations I just remember what 3rd and 4th year N64 games looked like and since the Ds is more powerful...maybe I should just fall back 4 a few and see the finals on these games.
Nile Boogie is...

0699-9217-4212-6889

Philadelphia Penn, 19130

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2004, 03:01:31 PM »
You should be looking at what first-gen N64 games looked like...Remember that it takes a while for devs to fully understand a piece of hardware...

Offline kirby_killer_dedede

• I SUK AT DIS ENTERNIT OK
    • View Profile
RE:I'm still a little disappointed
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2004, 03:35:22 PM »

Originally posted by: Bill Aurion
You should be looking at what first-gen N64 games looked like...Remember that it takes a while for devs to fully understand a piece of hardware...

Very true, but my "whining" is not about what devs do, it is about what THE dev does - 1st party titles still do not take full advantage of the second screen, and forget other devs when Nintendo themselves are not taking their own platform to the fullest.  Metroid still kinda has a map, Mario 64 DS has a map, and I'm too lazy to list, I just don't see the point.  I mean, it's the DS - the Dual Screen.  I agree with what Bill says about the touch screen, but the reason people are going to buy it is because of the two screens; if Nintendo was promoting the touch screen more, wouldn't they have called it the TS??

EDIT: Well, I suppose they ARE promoting the touch screen more...I mean Utada: "Can I touch it?" and Touch DS!.  Eh, I still don't like the fact that it seems like the only reason the second screen is there is for the touch screen.
WHY HELLO THAR MR. ANDERSUN

4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline Nile Boogie

• that is why you fail
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2004, 03:42:29 PM »
Bill I guess your right. Although the screens I've seen don't even seem to be 1st gen N64 games but again that maybe from the fact I'm browsing on my sidekick. I'll play the wainting game.  
Nile Boogie is...

0699-9217-4212-6889

Philadelphia Penn, 19130

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2004, 03:49:11 PM »
Super Mario 64 DS is much smoother than the original 64 game is...Turn on your 64 to see the difference... ^_^

Offline Jdub03

• Bert Stanton speaking.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2004, 04:10:44 PM »
Remember, screenshots did not do n64 games  justice.  Neither does it do ds games any justice.  Wait until you see it in motion and in the resolution it was meant to be seen at.
How many legs does a dog have if you call the tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg. - Abraham Lincoln

Offline DrZoidberg

• Secreted by the Internet Bee
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2004, 06:02:59 PM »
Hay guys, I doubt you'd be able to see much of the second screen if you're using it to controll your character
OUT OF DATE.

Offline Chongman

• LOL Breaking Tables is Cool!
    • View Profile
RE:I'm still a little disappointed
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2004, 07:34:36 PM »

Have faith. The way I see it, the current lineup is aimed towards the mainstream know nothing evidence. They'll eat these franchised games up. But when the time is right, I'm positive nintendo will deliver where they need to.  
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
ooberage
------------
in the days of yesteryear I'm still playing SMB3, chrono trigger, and
reading calvin and hobbes

~*~*~*~
PSP vs NDS....c'mon...really...who in their right gaming mind will buy the PSP?

Believe...Nintendo
Stop....whining

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2004, 06:41:56 AM »
I agree with Bill in that I think the second screen was meant more to make the touch-screen accessible without hiding your view of the main screen.  I think touch was what Nintendo had in mind as the system's main feature all along, and that's fine by me.
I've heard lots of cool ideas for the stylus (like the Epic Etch game one of our forum members came up with) but I've not heard all that many great ideas for the dual screens...realistically, it's just like having one tall screen, there isn't much you can do with it that you couldn't with a regular game system by simply splitting the screen in two.

If a developer comes up with a great idea for the Dual Screens, that would be great, but I don't think it's a huge loss if they don't.  There is a new GBA platformer that takes place in two worlds simultaneously with a split-screen; it would make a great DS game.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX