Author Topic: Story of Stardew Moon Factory: The Farming Games Thread.  (Read 37520 times)

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
Story of Stardew Moon Factory: The Farming Games Thread.
« on: July 26, 2020, 02:52:25 AM »
I'm replaying Stardew Valley on PC now that I have access to mods. It's a real hoot.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Re: Story of Stardew Moon Factory: The Farming Games Thread.
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2020, 03:59:23 AM »
As I said in the other thread, I've been playing Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town, which I'm enjoying very much. I don't know how appealing it would be to someone who never played the original, though, as it still has a few rough edges compared to something like Stardew Valley.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2020, 11:24:37 AM »
As I said in the other thread, I've been playing Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town, which I'm enjoying very much. I don't know how appealing it would be to someone who never played the original, though, as it still has a few rough edges compared to something like Stardew Valley.

A friend of mine had the original on GBA and we once tried connecting it with one of the Harvest Moon games on GameCube. You had to go down the path on the left of town in the GC version, and simultaneously use one of the Sprite Ponds on GBA. You'd get visitors from the GC version appearing in the GBA one, sometimes selling items, I believe.

There's also CONNECTIVITY with the DS game if you insert the GBA game in the same DS, but I never got to try that. I'm assuming none of these features made it into the new remake?

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2020, 04:18:20 PM »
I don’t think any of that is in there, or at least I haven’t seen it yet. I’m not sure I ever did that back in the day despite having both games and the GBA-GC link cable.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2020, 11:32:13 AM »
I was contemplating picking up Friends of Mineral Town but the reviews chased me away, and I figured I could just jump back into Stardew Valley if I needed to scratch the farming itch again. I never played the original Freinds of Mineral Town, but still view the SNES and N64 games to be some of the best in the series, so figured I would enjoy this one somewhat.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2020, 08:48:07 PM »
If you're a fan of the SNES and N64 games you'd probably like this one. The original Friends of Mineral Town was essentially the same game as the PS1 Harvest Moon: Back to Nature, and it uses a lot of the same characters and mechanics as those games.

J.P. Corbran

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2020, 09:18:57 PM »
Would you say it's a faithful remake? Stardew is king of farming games now but I could relive Friends of Mineral Town again.
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2020, 09:52:01 PM »
It's very faithful to the original. The same map layout and town, the same characters, everything. It's that game with a new art style and some quality of life improvements.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2020, 06:01:29 PM »
So I've decided to not buy the Harvest Moon remake or any other new farming sim for a while (maybe wait for a nice price drop), and I've gotten a bit tired of Animal Crossing for the moment but want to play something farm-sim-like. So returning to Stardew Valley seems to be the perfect option, but its been so long I feel a bit lost and directionless in my last save. I got the the start of my first winter, along with some thorough mining and other achievements, but not taken a relationship to the marriage level.

Should I restart from scratch or try to slog through resuming my old save and hoping it jump-starts my memory at all? I know there have been a number of updates since I last played over a year ago. Would that mare a complete restart more enjoyable?
My Game Collection

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2020, 06:19:20 PM »
Should I restart from scratch or try to slog through resuming my old save and hoping it jump-starts my memory at all? I know there have been a number of updates since I last played over a year ago. Would that mare a complete restart more enjoyable?

I would say you restart from scratch. The game goes so fast and you will probably just want to change things that you can't change in the old save.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2020, 08:09:46 PM »

I would say you restart from scratch. The game goes so fast and you will probably just want to change things that you can't change in the old save.

I second this. I restarted from scratch at one point and ended up progressing much faster because of what I learned in my first file.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2020, 03:33:27 PM »
Points taken. A restart will be a nice way to go.
My Game Collection

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2020, 12:17:51 PM »
So I did restart and I'm already past the year 1 day 1 progress of my last save AND I've cleared all of the mine and have way more money, buildings, and animals. Also done much better on finishing the community center so feel a lot better about everything now. I refuse to water anything on my own so I've built a bunch of sprinklers.

I've neglected most relationship building so I could get a good farm/money setup going, but now that I have it I'm not feeling like working on the relationships. I'd rather fish. Is there a handy app similar to the ones for Animal Crossing that help you track your collectibles? AC Life had great tools to show what you could catch in each season and where to get them and this would help me with the fish in Stardew and for tracking the other achievements.
My Game Collection

Offline RABicle

• View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2020, 11:42:40 PM »
I booted up my ancient Harvest Moon SNES Wii Virtual Console titel to find I had a save in Winter of, well I'm not sure what year but I'm married, no kids, farm looks huge. Stumbled around and found a power berry somehow.How long is this game again? I feel I should pickup from here and get through to the end.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2020, 11:48:28 PM »
I booted up my ancient Harvest Moon SNES Wii Virtual Console titel to find I had a save in Winter of, well I'm not sure what year but I'm married, no kids, farm looks huge. Stumbled around and found a power berry somehow.How long is this game again? I feel I should pickup from here and get through to the end.

I don't think there's a real ending. Most games in the series can go on forever if you want them to, you just run out of milestones.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2020, 12:40:01 AM »
The original game ran for 2.5-3 years before your grandparent's spirits visited you and 'reviewed' your progress. A similar mechanic was in the N64 one but it was your parents and they were alive and checked in on you. After that the mechanic seemed to go away I recall. Either way you just carry on after that in an infinite loop.
My Game Collection

Offline RABicle

• View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2020, 02:44:35 AM »
I await their judgement.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2020, 02:52:47 PM »
I bought an actual physical guidebook for this game but am not going to play it until I can get the physical copy later this year. LOL. I need to lock up my credit cards.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline RABicle

• View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2020, 06:26:06 AM »
Are you getting that crazy colelctors edition or jsut being reasonable?

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2020, 11:20:33 AM »
Good grief, just a standard please! I don't have room for all that collector's edition stuff, lol!
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.