Author Topic: New Nintendo 3DS Models Announced  (Read 23421 times)

Offline Leo13

• Score: 13
    • View Profile
Re: New Nintendo 3DS Models Announced
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2014, 11:54:33 AM »
Looks like it might finally be time to sell my original 3DS... Or maybe I'll give it to my 4 year old for Christmas. Then I'm buying this new one and Xenoblade

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2014, 12:14:55 PM »
Oh **** this!  I just bought a 3DS last year for Pokémon!  This is effectively a new system.  New games that are incompatible with the old system = new system.  This is just merely backwards compatible with the 3DS.  So all you Nintendo whores that bent over backwards for the outright scam that was the DSi, this is YOUR fault!  **** all of you for making Nintendo think they can get away with this ****!

Well I'm never buying this new 3DS ever.  I didn't buy the DSi and that was a good decision because the 3DS was backwards compatible anyways so I didn't miss out on anything.  I presume the "4DS" will also be backwards compatible with all variations of the 3DS so I don't need this right away.

I figure this co-existing with the 3DS and 2DS will continue to cause massive confusion with consumers and that's good because Nintendo needs to get knocked down a peg for this Sega-style bullshit.  My thinking right now is that there is no point in buying a Nintendo handheld while it is current because they're just waiting to release some bullshit half-step revision on you.  Might as well wait and get an outdated used model when it's cheap.  That's Sega.  They ruined consumer trust by releasing new platforms that they discontinued early.  I feel that way with Nintendo and handhelds.  I don't trust them.  Hey, now I don't trust Nintendo consoles OR handhelds.  Now that is fucking Sega!

And funny how they'll stick with the flop Wii U but are quick to replace their successful system.  Yeah, that makes tons of sense.  And they didn't even do this right!  Obviously if you're going to do this you stick a second stick on it!

Thankfully I already have Xenoblade for the Wii so the one title announced so far isn't one I would buy anyway.

Offline Mythtendo

• My rims never spin, to the contrary, you'll find that they're quite stationary
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2014, 12:16:56 PM »
This isn't terribly surprising. Gameboy Color did the same, technically so did DSi though they were few and far between beyond DSiWare.

Game Boy Color was a new system, not a re-design. DSi is a good example though.

I don't really want to buy a new model, though at least this re-design improves the system (unlike the 3DS XL, which did nothing more than make it bigger).

Marvel moviefan, do you also not buy cell phones? Companies like Apple and Samsung update their phones every single year.

Ian, Wii U isn't a flop. It started off poorly, but sales have been improving for months.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2014, 12:18:03 PM »
I love you Ian Sane. No sarcasm either. I completely agree with every part of your post, for the first time ever.

Offline leahsdad

• This title stolen by Rhythm Thief
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2014, 01:08:19 PM »
I'll say what we all already know-- for smartphones and tablets, this kind of business practice is standard.

With that said, of course I'm going to buy this at launch.   It's incrementally better, but still, better is better.   It's just sad that I'm not excited the same way I was when they announced the XL.   

BTW, anyone notice they haven't mentioned DS backward compatiblity?   It's assumed, sure, and I can't think of a good reason why they wouldn't have DS backward compatibility, but still, they haven't been explicit about it, have they?

I still play a lot of DS games, and the 3DS XL is awesome with it.
[Showing off game collection]

Oh yeah, I know I have 2 sealed copies of that game.   1 is for trading.  But people who collect Amiibos?  They really have a problem!

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2014, 01:25:04 PM »
So all you Nintendo whores that bent over backwards for the outright scam that was the DSi, this is YOUR fault!  **** all of you for making Nintendo think they can get away with this ****!

Well I'm never buying this new 3DS ever.
Not buying this ever? Okie-dokie. What does it matter to you then?

You might want to keep the insults to a minimum. I like my DSi. I bought it specifically to give my DS Lite to my brother so we could play Contra 4 and Phantasy Star 0 together. Both were quite fun.

And kindly stop trying to pass the buck on others. If you bought a 3DS thinking, "Oh, Nintendo will never release a new version or model," that one is on you considering how much precedence there is to the contrary.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2014, 02:03:48 PM »
You know, I had pretty much decided I'd get a limited edition Smash Bros. 3DS XL when it was released. I've had the original teal 3DS model since the second week it launched which is about 3 and 1/2 years now but I'm having problems with the R button and the bigger screens seemed nice. With it being quite a few years of playing away on the system, it felt like the right time to maybe upgrade and use this new XL to ride out the rest of the 3DS generation. Plus, I liked the look of it a lot.

Now, this announcement is made and I will not be purchasing the Smash Bros XL after all. What's the point now? I don't see how this is going to help Nintendo move more 3DS units this holiday season like they are hoping in the financial reports when they effectively downgrade and make the system inferior with this announcement. Although, there are a lot of people and parents out there who just don't know or pay attention to the news in this sector of entertainment so they'll probably still sell a bunch on consumer ignorance.

I think the reaction to the news really depends on when a person bought or last bought a 3DS. If you just bought one for the first time, say 4 months ago, then you'll probably be more upset about the news. This system won't be released until next year and if it gets release in March 2015, then it will have been 4 years that I last bought a 3DS or handheld. Thus, the New 3DS is sort of appealling to me. The only thing that concerns me is the example of the DSi. It only lasted short of 2 years before the 3DS came and replaced it, ending the original DS line. Is this another last cash grab of getting some money from the 3DS family before launching the next handheld generation like the GBA Micro or DSi? 3rd revisions of hardware do not seem to last as long.

In a twisted sort of way, it sort of further pays off in being an early adopter of the system though. Sure, I missed out on the price cut but I did get the Ambassador games even if some people got both. However, those people also got a bit screwed over when the XL version came out. But now the XL crowd are getting screwed over with the New 3DS when an early adopter, like myself, would be more willing to buy a new iteration. It's full circle. Nintendo is making sure we are all equally unhappy with our 3DS purchase. (And no one cares about 2DS owners because they screwed themselves over the moment they actually bought the thing.) That's good business. You need to make people unhappy and not content with what they currently have so that they will seek out and buy the new product you are offering that will restore them to their contented state. Genius!
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2014, 02:21:51 PM »
So all you Nintendo whores that bent over backwards for the outright scam that was the DSi, this is YOUR fault!  **** all of you for making Nintendo think they can get away with this ****!

Well I'm never buying this new 3DS ever.
Not buying this ever? Okie-dokie. What does it matter to you then?

It matters because it does affect consumer confidence on any product that is released by the company in the future. You may not agree with it but it is true.

With the 3DS, I was unsure of whether to actually be an early adopter or wait. In the end, I decided to adopt early. Although the Ambassador games eased the regret on missing out on the price drop, I was further disappointed in the release of the XL.

Thus, with the Wii U, I decided to wait until there was a price drop or bundle I wanted. I bought it 8 months after release when a story offered the Deluxe model at $297.00. A couple months later, there was an official price drop made and a bundle of NSMBU and Luigi U was offered. I thought I had made a good decision when I got it a low cost only to regret missing out on being able to get that bundle with the price drop had I waited 2 more months.

You can say "that is on you" for not considering the precedence of these things but the problem is I did consider the precedence of these things and at the time I bought them, I thought I was doing so where there would be a long enough timegap that when they occured, it wouldn't be so bad. However, in both purchases, those things happened faster than anticipated which made me rather a bit irked at having made my purchase when I did.

Thus, it makes it harder and harder to buy a Nintendo product when it seems you end up regretting a few weeks later when a better option comes around. This makes it harder for Nintendo to sell products which then results in losing more and more of the fanbase and market.

So, don't be glib and quick to dismiss other thoughts on the matter because they don't like this idea. It would be ok for you if him or others complained and made the statements they have as long as they mentioned they were still going to buy the system? What logic is that?
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2014, 02:32:53 PM »
And kindly stop trying to pass the buck on others. If you bought a 3DS thinking, "Oh, Nintendo will never release a new version or model," that one is on you considering how much precedence there is to the contrary.

Well I figured there would be variations of the same hardware.  Stuff like the 2DS and the XL where there is a difference in form factor but the same games play on it.  The DSi routine was something I feared but didn't necessarily expect and I certainly didn't think it would come so soon.  It's too soon for a proper successor and Nintendo only did this half-step once and it was further along in the DS lifecycle then we are now.  They just released the 2DS less than a year ago.  I can't expect THAT to be the most significant redesign for even a whole year before they announce something else?  So someone buys a 2DS and 10 months later a new 3DS is announced with new games that are incompatible with the handheld they just bought less than a year ago that was a brand spanking new model at the time?  Come on!  That's ridiculous!

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2014, 03:29:04 PM »
So, don't be glib and quick to dismiss other thoughts on the matter because they don't like this idea. It would be ok for you if him or others complained and made the statements they have as long as they mentioned they were still going to buy the system? What logic is that?
How did you come to that conclusion? Complaining about something then buying it is simply a different kind of ridiculous. Of course, others don't have to like the idea. However, raging and ranting and blaming others about something they're admittedly not taking part in ever is a waste of time. They're making the only point that matters by not buying it. Sounds reasonable to me.

What does not sound reasonable is saying things like:
Calm your tits.

In any case, the 3DS that you, me, and Mr. McAngrypants have are still perfectly adequate for playing games. It doesn't cease to function just because something new is on the horizon. The only exclusive game people seem to be talking about is Xenoblade and many of us here have already played it. Every upcoming 3DS game I'm even remotely interested in will be available on the 3DS I already own. Until Nintendo announces an exclusive New 3DS game that I really, REALLY want, I'm perfectly content with what I currently have. They're going to have to do better than Xenoblade. If not, that's their problem, not mine. I don't have to give them money.

I may buy a New 3DS, but that's down the line and it won't be until I have a very good reason to do so, be it a game I want, or as previously stated, a worn out Circle Pad. With DSi, I had a few good reasons. It was a good purchase. My brother already has my original 3DS and he thinks the XL is too big so there goes my best reason to get one sooner rather than later.

The way I see it, New 3DS was made specifically for the Japanese market where handhelds are far more popular. It also makes Amiibo more user friendly. Nintendo will release New 3DS in other territories because sure, why not?
So someone buys a 2DS and 10 months later a new 3DS is announced with new games that are incompatible with the handheld they just bought less than a year ago that was a brand spanking new model at the time?  Come on!  That's ridiculous!
New 3DS is not meant for the same audience as 2DS as New 3DS includes improved 3D capability and is more expensive. There would have to be a New 2DS for there to be an analogous comparison.

Offline daverhodus

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2014, 03:59:51 PM »
Seems pretty solid to me. It's hard for me to believe that people didn't expect a yearly update at this point.

I just wish Nintendo had an account system so I could play my eShop games on multiple systems.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2014, 04:20:49 PM »
They should call this the 3DS U and then they could do a joint marketing campaign making sure people know "U Means New!"
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2014, 04:44:58 PM »
Another stopgap system? I don't like the sound of this at all.

Hopefully, no game I care about requires this system. Much as I like Xenoblade I'm not interested in buying it again, especially in handheld form. So far so good.

Offline daverhodus

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2014, 05:15:08 PM »
The days of a static handheld platform lasting 8 years are over. Games meant for an iPad Air 2 are going to run like crap on an iPad from 2011.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2014, 07:47:33 PM »
So the 3DSi isn't coming till 2015... :/

Does that mean no 4DS till X-mas 2016?

« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2014, 08:09:21 PM »
Ian is actually right, so is Khush, I was actually planning on getting a 3DS this year, now I am not so sure. They turned off a potential sale with this announcement. Why, because this is an upgrade that actually costs less than the current offering, how can I pass that up when my biggest gripe with 3DS so far is the price. I was tempted to get a 2DS just because the price was right but after trying one at the game store I changed my mind. I might still get a 3DS anyways but I sold my Wii before Xenoblade came out so for me it is a game I hear nothing but good things about, is a game that had been released a damn year earlier I would not have sold my Wii so this is a selling point for me too. But again it effectively stops me from buying the current model this year.
Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2014, 08:17:59 PM »
It sounds like you still plan on getting a 3DS, just the New 3DS instead of the standard one. If that's the case, Nintendo didn't stop a potential sale; they just pushed it back a few months. In the end, they're getting your money anyway.

« Reply #42 on: August 29, 2014, 08:20:37 PM »
It sounds like you still plan on getting a 3DS, just the New 3DS instead of the standard one. If that's the case, Nintendo didn't stop a potential sale; they just pushed it back a few months. In the end, they're getting your money anyway.

Yeah but next year not this year but it does stop me from getting games right now too.
Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 29, 2014, 09:05:59 PM »

After having a day to think it over I'm probably still going to get a 3DS just so I have something to play while I work abroad. The new 3DS sounds like the version to have in the future, but I haven't been pulled into handheld game so much that I have to rush to buy this when it comes out in 2015. Xenoblade on a small screens sounds so unappealing.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline NeoStar9X

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2014, 12:13:38 AM »
I have been considering finally picking up an an 3DS XL. Especailly for Fantasy Life and Monster Hunter 4 when they release. Guess I'll hold off and wait for this version.

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 30, 2014, 01:06:53 AM »
So this is technically a stopgap between this gen and next gen. Why is it needed? Adding extra buttons that won't be used by a majority of 3DS games is pointless. These additions should have been saved for a proper next gen handheld.

Imagine if Nintendo made a new Wii U with extra RAM and a faster CPU and then said the new games won't work on the old Wii U. Everyone would be pissed.
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 30, 2014, 01:14:00 AM »
Nintendo is doing the same thing SEGA did with the Genesis and Saturn.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 30, 2014, 01:16:51 AM »
The days of a static handheld platform lasting 8 years are over. Games meant for an iPad Air 2 are going to run like crap on an iPad from 2011.

Imagine if console makers did this. Developers and consumers would be pissed.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 30, 2014, 02:16:01 AM »
This is like the third time Nintendo has done pretty much this exact thing with a handheld line. Anyone surprised by this hasn't been paying attention.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 30, 2014, 08:18:57 AM »
When was the last time they released a souped up version of their existing line just three years after the original, developing exclusive games and releasing a major game and cult favorite onlynforbsaid system?

Sure, they have done it before with the GBC, GBMicro, and DSi. But the Gameboy Color came out ten years later, the Micro released when the DS was already out for about a year, and the DSi came out six years after the original and DSiWare notwithstanding, had no major release exclusive to the system.