Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*  (Read 3141842 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*
« Reply #4625 on: June 07, 2011, 07:23:25 PM »
CPU would run hot and have lower yields at full speed.

You want as many working chips off a silicon as possible, and for as small as the system is again, you really don't want it to run hot at all.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4626 on: June 07, 2011, 07:25:18 PM »
Why does Nintendo want to artificially gimp its performance potential?

Cooling perhaps?  Maybe if they run it full on it would overheat the system with the way they have everything arranged on the motherboard.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #4627 on: June 07, 2011, 07:27:08 PM »
They can always unlock it at a later date, if need be. Sorta like an N64 expansion pack, but they'd be able to roll it out easily in a software update.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #4628 on: June 07, 2011, 07:30:42 PM »
Overheating is a valid concern. The last thing Nintendo needs is a 360 RROD style fiasco.
is your sanity...

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #4629 on: June 07, 2011, 07:32:52 PM »
Like BnM said, though, even downclocked to that it would be a big step up from the PS3 and 360.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4630 on: June 07, 2011, 08:45:48 PM »
Quote from: wiki on IBM Power7
32+32 kB L1 instruction and data cache (per core)[8]
256 kB L2 Cache (per core)
4 MB L3 cache per core with maximum up to 32MB supported

That would mean that with 3 cores Wuu would have
96+96kb L1
768kb L2
12MB of L3

The 360 had 1MB total of L2 cache
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenon_(processor)

Xenos has already been smoked with 3cores, now imagine if Wuu went with a standard Power7 setup of 4cores....

I think PS3 had
32+32 KB L1
512 KB L2
256KB SRAM

But I don't know if that was per core or not.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cell_(microprocessor)

Either way, Power7 is packing a punch whether Nintendo down clocked it or not.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
Eyefinity & an R800 GPU?
« Reply #4631 on: June 07, 2011, 09:48:56 PM »
Could the Wuu be using an AMD R800 GPU and not an R700 GPU?

I think it's pretty obvious that since the Wuu is using AMD and has the ability to simultaneously stream to a controller at the same time as the TV with 0 lag (see the videos), it has to be using some AMD Eyefinity GPU right?

well according to wiki, AMD didn't introduce Eyefinity until the R8XX family of GPU which would be the HD5XXX
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evergreen_(GPU_family)
Quote from: wiki on HD5000 series & Eyefinity
AMD also introduced AMD Eyefinity Technology (previously ATI Eyefinity) in this GPU family - the ability to connect three to six displays to one graphics card. It also supports grouping of multiple monitors into a single large surface (SLS), treated by the OS as a single monitor with very high resolutions. It is promoted as an inexpensive alternative for ultra-high resolution displays.

Now we haven't gotten a confirmation yet in any sort fo way on if Wuu will allow multiple screened controllers to play locally at the same time, but if it did then I woudl imagine they based it off of this?
Quote from: same wiki article
The entire HD 5000 series products have Eyefinity capabilities supporting three outputs. The Radeon HD 5870 Eyefinity Edition, however, supports six mini DisplayPort outputs, all of which can be simultaneously active.[6]

Now I don't know the practicality of all this. I don't know if the HD5XXX series is too power hungry or if it even makes sense for Nintendo's needs. I'm just speculating based of the info provided.

Are there any tech people out there that can tell me why this isn't possible or even plausible?

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4632 on: June 08, 2011, 06:55:07 AM »
Calling KDR!!!!

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4633 on: June 08, 2011, 07:25:18 AM »
Why does Nintendo want to artificially gimp its performance potential?

Cooling perhaps?  Maybe if they run it full on it would overheat the system with the way they have everything arranged on the motherboard.
I agree with the cooling thats the reason most CPU's today are still 2.*ghz.  I doubt they want to move away from a more passive form of cooling.

I don't know about the Wii but I know on GameCube Nintendo messed with the processors speeds so that everything that was talking weren't at odd intervals from each other so the data flowed better.  I'm sure that is part of it too.

How technology has been moving power efficiency has gone up a lot since even the R800 came out so may be.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #4634 on: June 08, 2011, 09:07:19 AM »
Nintendo has also been known to gimp its hardware in order to get everything in the same order of frequency. If they don't synch up there will be wasted clock cycles.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #4635 on: June 08, 2011, 09:41:04 AM »
Nintendo has also been known to gimp its hardware in order to get everything in the same order of frequency. If they don't synch up there will be wasted clock cycles.
I wouldn't call that gimping because getting things synced up allows for better flow of data.  Which helps in the long run.  Like in a traffic jam just going 2 miles an hour instead of racing up and stopping that continual motion will un-kink thing later down the line.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4636 on: June 09, 2011, 01:06:29 PM »
12 Pre-E3 Rumors about Zelda: Skyward Sword
http://www.zeldainformer.com/2011/06/heres-the-first-of-the-annual-batch-of-pre-e3-zelda-rumors.html#more
1. Skyward Sword is complete, but still needs debugging/testing.

2. There will be a demo at E3 with three different aspects of the game explored: Flying combat, overworld + sky exploration, desert dungeon.

3. Skyward Sword girl's name is "Dorella."

4. Magician from GDC trailer's name is "Nephiburoo," he'll be a part of a group of evil sorcerers who wish to obtain the Triforce.

5. Ganondorf is in the game briefly as a child. Isn't too important to the story.

6. Zelda has a new design, similar to an Egyptian princess with brown hair. She's still recognizable however.

7. Full orchestrated soundtrack by the person responsible for Super Mario Galaxy's soundtrack. (This one is actually true, but I do wonder if the poster only put this one in to make the rumors more
believable.)

8. Two overworlds: Skyloft and Hyrule. Contrast is similar to Heaven and Hell.

9. Ten minute live-action prologue that'll be posted on the net a couple of months before release. (Zelda Williams Secret Shoot? Zelda is rumored to have brown hair and take on an Egyptian princess aesthetic. It COULD fit.)

10. After you complete the game, the game goes into a storyless, neverending epilogue. Every dungeon in the game gets another dungeon inside of it utilizing everything you've obtained in the game with new bosses. New areas on the overworld are unlocked in places you wouldn't expect. Similar to the original Zelda.

11. Game will feature horse riding and boat riding. Not as expansive as seen in Twilight Princess and Wind Waker, however, but a boat will be required to complete some dungeons.

12. Coming November 1st, 2011.

It's missing the all to infamous lucky #13, so I'll add it in myself
13.Skyward Sword will see an HD version for Café. Believe :P: :

The original source was 4chan, but the post has been removed from the site.

Can someone confirm or deny these rumors for me so that I can finish updating the Rumor Consolidation list?

Thanx.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #4637 on: June 09, 2011, 03:20:40 PM »
Ah there it is. Only things confirmed are Sky Loft, and the Music being done by the galaxy guy. But we knew that before E3.

The wizard guy has a different name, Zelda's name is already Zelda, no Tetra's or Dorella.

No Heavan/Hell contrast, not yet anyway.

No boats or horses yet. No Ganondorf yet, or Egyptian anything.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #4638 on: June 10, 2011, 07:54:09 PM »
I've always felt certain pieces of Super Mario Galaxy's soundtrack sounded like they were taken from a Zelda game, so it's good to see that composer is working on a game that better fits with his style of music.

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #4639 on: June 11, 2011, 02:14:44 PM »
I just hope some of that music is as fun as the galaxy music. Except for the main theme, Hyrul theme, and that river boat theme all the music sounded like emo teen music. Just sad and dreary. Thankully this art style is a bit more cheery cause its the cheery and/or epic tunes that get me going. So far the music that we herd from the orchestra has all been remade music, nothing new or cheery yet. I just hope allot of it will be as memorable as Galaxy.

If a midi tune of Melty Monster came up in TP, I bet I would have had a slightly different feeling going through that portion of the game.

RomanceDawn

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #4640 on: June 11, 2011, 06:32:46 PM »
You don't like the main theme for Skyward Sword? I think it's as epic as epic can be (though it could use a choir to really get it going)! Especially since you can reverse it and listen to Zelda's Lullaby. It's a wonderful production.

I don't even remember what the main theme songs were for the other games....well except Wind Waker. I loved that beginning theme.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #4641 on: June 12, 2011, 03:02:03 AM »
Well the main theme for Skyward Sword is fine. I just hope all the tunes are good with just a couple upbeat tunes.

RomanceDawn

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #4642 on: June 12, 2011, 09:43:02 AM »
I hope the Sound transition and SFX work are on par or better with WW.  I maybe one of the few people in the world that like the progressive feel of the sword hit sounds.  Very Simonish.

Offline mac<censored>

• View Profile
« Reply #4643 on: June 13, 2011, 09:47:40 AM »
This wasn't just close, it arguably looks more usable and comfortable.

holding up the bulk of the wait from the bottom? nah

This.

That's one of the (many) reasons why the PSP analogue stick is so horrible, you kinda have to hold it from an awkward bottom position to use the analogue stick (whereas the d-pad is in much more natural position).

Nintendo's actual design for the wiiu controller looks vastly more comfortable (not to mention more secure).
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 09:49:12 AM by mac<censored> »

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #4644 on: June 15, 2011, 08:40:33 PM »
This wasn't just close, it arguably looks more usable and comfortable.

holding up the bulk of the wait from the bottom? nah

This.

That's one of the (many) reasons why the PSP analogue stick is so horrible, you kinda have to hold it from an awkward bottom position to use the analogue stick (whereas the d-pad is in much more natural position).

Nintendo's actual design for the wiiu controller looks vastly more comfortable (not to mention more secure).

Speaking of which, I thought it was odd they didn't show any wrist straps for the thing during those interactive demo vids. I saw at least one hands-on preview and didn't notice anyone wearing them, but the unit appears to have the slot for it.. I don't always use the strap on my wii mote, but I think I always would with a umote..

Imagine dropping the controller and cracking the screen? I know they haven't mention pricing of the controller but even if its the same price as a wiimote, that's a lot for something so prone to damage. Yeah, I know nintendo makes durable products, but with that huge screen not having any protection from a drop, i can't help but feel it'll be the most easily broken nintendo controller to date.

/paranoid
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #4645 on: June 15, 2011, 08:48:27 PM »
I think it would be very hard to crack a plastic screen, though it's certainly open to other types of damage. The controller itself is light, but solid and rounded... I don't think it will break so easily.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #4646 on: June 15, 2011, 11:39:43 PM »
Until someone tries to play Disc Golf with it.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #4647 on: June 16, 2011, 06:17:51 PM »
I'd be more worried about a foot or a fat ass.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #4648 on: June 16, 2011, 06:37:10 PM »

Skinny, bony ones do more damage.  It's all about the psi.

Since the demo reel showed it being used on the floor as a virtual golf tee, I sincerely hope Nintendo is going to great lengths to make it durable.  Though I can't imagine how a soft resistive touch screen could be protected from shoes.  Or one of those cheesy golf club Wii Remote extensions.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #4649 on: June 16, 2011, 11:15:51 PM »

Fat ass, you say? NSFL
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.