Author Topic: Silicon Knights and Nintendo break up  (Read 62650 times)

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:Silicon Knights and Nintendo break up
« Reply #250 on: April 14, 2004, 06:06:22 PM »

And if this is real, which it probably is, I honestly really don't care- I mean, come on people, we're talking about videogames. You shouldn't let your life revolve around something so insignificant. It sucks SK is gone, but it's not going to affect the way I live my life. A lot of people are really overreacting.

I care in this realm, which is the video game realm.  Obviously, when my truck breaks down on I95, I don't think, "OMG! SK and Nintendo are no more!"   Just as I don't come on here and blab about my truck breaking down.  This is a GC site, and reactions are based on the GC universe, not real life.  Its an alternate reality, and one is allowed to react just like one would in his other, real world.

Sorry to get all dimensional.  Now I have a headache.
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: April 14, 2004, 06:32:05 PM »
People are acting like this is a gigantic thing, though (especially Grey Ninja, poor guy)- a lot of people need to keep things in perspective. This is about VIDEOGAMES, something that can't affect your life in any significant way possible. They need to learn to get over it. This thread should never have taken the course it did.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Syl

• O_o
    • View Profile
RE: Silicon Knights and Nintendo break up
« Reply #252 on: April 14, 2004, 06:42:17 PM »
n my understandings, It's more of "nintendo let SK go" not "SK doesn't want to work with nintendo"
The (sad) fact is, SK didn't sell many games, despite how amazing talented as a devoloper they are. They weren't really making a profit. When MGS:TTS was first announced, I saw it as a last chance for SK to make a profit to cover from the ED losses. I'm not entirely sure about this, but apparently MGS:TTS didn't sell nearly as well as hoped.

Nintendo, being in the business for money, probably was like "SK, we love you guys and all... but you just aren't making us any money". Which is probably why SK is now free to develop for more than just nintendo.

At the very least, SK now has a better chance to survive, I personally don't care if a title is no longer Nintendo-Exclusive, As long as SK can stay in business and continue making games, im fine with whatever choices Denis has to make.

You have to remember there are 2 points of view here, Nintendo's and SK's.

Offline Rich

• View Profile
« Reply #253 on: April 14, 2004, 07:09:22 PM »

Originally posted by: Perfect Cell

Yeah but there is a difference between saying that you have been considering not buying Nintendo's N5 before yesterday and SK leaving was the straw that broke the camals back and saying that before this you were definetly buying the "N5" and now you don't think your will buy the next console just because of this incident. Like I said, Silicon Knights wasn't that big.

Its not simply SK, its the bigger picture. If you look at the loss of SK and Factor 5 in the bigger picture, its not pretty. Sure you could make the argument that loosing a company that made 2 games, isnt important. Problem is, Sk attracted mature gamers to the console (Something that will be much harder now) Factor 5 Attracted  mature gamers. These are the gamers that Nintendo needs to go after if they plan on surviving. If you add the loss of these two exclusives, to the long list of third parties. It gets grimmer. Third Parties pay royaltees to Nintendo to make games for the system. Its a way to make money. Without Third Parties you make less money. This is no the kind of things that should be happening to Nintendo before the PSP Arrives.  Nintendo needs to make a strong showing at E3 and beyond. This is a desperate thing.

Like I said if people here have been thinking about leaving Nintendo before the Silicon Knights announcement then please go and buy an Xbox or a PS2, whatever will satisfy them. But if they went into this week thinking "oh man the N5 is gonna be the sh!t" then why would the loss of Silicon Knights make them not want it at all. Oh and by the way Factor5 didn't leave Nintendo, they don't have any Gamecube software in development because they are currently working on the next generation software. Check the Factor5 thread if you want to see what I'm talking about. but many people here are considering not buying the next console only because Silicon Knights isn't exclusive. Thats stupid your gonna base your console decision all on who is supported by Silicon Knights, who'll probably make three games next generation. and we all know how many adult gamers SK attracted. And YES I know how Nintendo makes their money, true they aren't going to be making as much money off those two as before but im still pretty sure that they will make money so either way it won't make a big impact on Nintendo's financial report.

Listen, if the loss of the recent developers and publishers upsets you, go and buy a PS2 because SK leaving really wont change a thing. Don't misunderstand me, I'm sad, I wish they werent leaving but they are and I don't believe it will make any noticeable change.

Aran: MGS:TTS has been out for less then a month, there is no way Nintendo would look at that and say "you guys arent performing well, goodbye"

MC: whatever happen to Grey Ninja?

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: April 14, 2004, 07:15:34 PM »

MC: whatever happen to Grey Ninja?

He got fed up with PGC- not the boards (I don't think), but the site itself. He thinks the site went way down hill after Billy left and Johnny's first editorial was what pushed him over the edge. He's been gone for over a month now, although he did post a short message in the Talkback SK thread, which was ironically eaten up.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: April 14, 2004, 07:54:58 PM »
like i siad..we should al ltake the wait and see stance before we jump to conclusions
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline theRPGFreak

• OVERLORD
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: April 14, 2004, 08:24:56 PM »
Tell Gray Ninja to come back mouse_clicker! I miss his Xenogear refrences and on how much of a drunk he was!
"I can't read...im not a loser."~Master Shake

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: April 14, 2004, 08:47:35 PM »
"But if they went into this week thinking 'oh man the N5 is gonna be the sh!t' then why would the loss of Silicon Knights make them not want it at all."

I think it's worth noting that Too Human was rumoured to be a launch title for the N5 or more importantly THE big launch title like Halo was to the Xbox.  With SK no longer a second party that seems less likely to happen so for some the main reason to buy an N5 is gone.  In my mind the "dream" scenario for the N5 to be a huge success relied on Too Human as a launch title.  It was the most important part of the launch.  It HAD to be there.  Now it probably won't be so the whole "plan" has to be completely overhauled.  In other words the rumoured launch lineup for the N5 has lost it's flagship title.

Last week I was in the mindset that if the N5 launched with Too Human and the game turned out to be half of what it's rumoured to be I would buy it at launch, no questions asked.  Now I'm unsure about buying at launch.  I have to take a wait-and-see approach.   The N5 launch lineup is now largely unknown and I think it's natural for people to have second thoughts over an unknown launch lineup instead of a rumoured one with a major killer app.

Offline akdaman1

• the forum idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: April 14, 2004, 11:14:51 PM »
I really think Nintendo need to make 2-3 new franchises.

If they expect us to base our Console purchase on thier already established series then there mistaken. Mario is good n all but would any of you base your purchase on just 1 or 2 games ?
"We ride together, We die together, Bad boys 4 life....

NOW CAN YOU DIG DAT SUCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKAAAA

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: April 15, 2004, 02:02:54 AM »

Originally posted by: akdaman1
If they expect us to base our Console purchase on thier already established series then there mistaken. Mario is good n all but would any of you base your purchase on just 1 or 2 games ?

How ironic...Who was the one saying that they weren't buying Ninty's next system because SK left?
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: April 15, 2004, 04:22:17 AM »

Us not, but the XBox crowd would.

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: April 15, 2004, 04:49:45 AM »

Third to quote this, go for one more, Connect Four!
Er, yeah. I got an N64 for Mario 64, and I got a GameCube for Smash Bros. Melee. Two established series. I'm sure the majority of people who purchased a Dreamcast at launch got it for Sonic Adventure, too.

Offline DrZoidberg

• Secreted by the Internet Bee
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: April 15, 2004, 04:53:37 AM »

draw two! draw FOUR! SUFFAHHH oh shi wate, wrong game CONNECT FOUR.

i got my GBA for pokemon, got my gcn for smash bros, got my n64 for Mario 64, got my dreamcast for Sonic Adventure, oh hay Infernal is pretty much teh same as me.
OUT OF DATE.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: April 15, 2004, 06:35:41 AM »

like everyone else said ... yes.  i got my gc for mario and zelda.  everything else is just icing on the cake.  
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline yellowfellow

• I have become comfortably numb.
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: April 15, 2004, 06:39:38 AM »

i am just being obnoxious

...but i did get my n64 for goldeneye and zelda  
procrastination and masturbation are fine, until you realize you're only screwing yourself

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: April 15, 2004, 07:39:17 AM »
there has only been 1 killer app this generation and that was Halo...i didn't even like Halo...but still as far as games that cause systems to sell then Halo has the legs that does it. I only hope Ninty and SK are still close enough to have that killer app to be produced for GCnext...the one i had hoped for.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: April 15, 2004, 07:55:56 AM »
"there has only been 1 killer app this generation and that was Halo"

What about GTA3?

On the whole "would you buy a console for one game" thing I would buy a console just for Zelda.  But I think the amount of people that absolutely HAVE to play the newest Mario and Zelda game is shrinking and their selling power just isn't what it used to be.  It's likely because a lot of the current market is unfamiliar with anything beyond the Playstation so the Nintendo classics have no effect on them.  Nintendo has to create a new flagship franchise for the newer audience to indentify with.  They have with Pokemon but sadly they have only put the "real" games in that series on the Gameboy.

I guess that's rather off-topic.  I'll tie it in by saying that Silicon Knights had the potential to make that new flagship franchise.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: April 15, 2004, 08:03:09 AM »
Only whackos buy a console for GTA, the hardware requirements aren't that high, almost every PC should be capable of playing the game.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: April 15, 2004, 08:24:59 AM »
I think Ian ment when GTA3 was exclusive on the PS2. But anyway if Microsoft never aquired Bungie Xbox would be screwed all over.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline jpturner

• View Profile
« Reply #269 on: April 15, 2004, 08:50:35 AM »

I would also disagree about the Killer App. for this gen. being limited to Halo.

In addition to GTA3, Sony's trump card has also been Final Fantasy (and no our own CC spin off, while OK to just better than OK, doesn't count for many FF fanatics). People buy the PS2 because it's the only game in town for this franchise.

The loss of Silicon nights is a major one in the war of perception of success. SK was an outspoken and highly respected Nintendo supporter. Who is going to fill that role now? Yes, Nintendo has a number of wonderful in-house development teams, but lets face it: we usually know about their products as they are produced. Like it or not the video game industry lives on hype and advertising, and without pre-release hype (none with mosts N games), you end up with games sales like UBI saw with Beyond Good & Evil.

Very disappointing.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #270 on: April 15, 2004, 11:49:53 AM »
No, I agree with Perm- Halo is the only killer app this generation. Without Halo the XBox would have fallen flat on its face right off the bat. Hell, it would have fallen flat on its face if Microsoft hadn't even made it a launch title, it was that integral to the console's success. I'm willing to bet it has the highest ration between units sold and total user base out of any current generation game. Microsoft making it a launch title, in my opinion, was one of the smartest business moves in the industry.  

Offline Myxtika1 Azn

• The Master of the Fists
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: April 15, 2004, 11:56:22 AM »
I don't really think that highly of Halo.  Ninja Gaiden, on the other hand, kicks ass.  That game is the only reason I bought the Xbox -- Shenmue 2 is like an added bonus to me.
500 years ago, I shook the Pillars of Heaven.  Why should I fear a runt like you?

Offline akdaman1

• the forum idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: April 15, 2004, 12:19:57 PM »

Originally posted by: Bill

How ironic...Who was the one saying that they weren't buying Ninty's next system because SK left?

You sorta dont understand what I said earlier.

I'm not a major fan of SK at all. But they had MAJOR potetiontal and its a sad loss. The reasons I might not buy GCNext is for a number of little reasons.

3rd parties just keep dropping off.
All exclusives can be found on another console.
1st party games are a dissapointment when compared to thier pedecessor.

Im afraid this stuff wont improve next generation.

Also I sorta see Metroid Prime as a killer App
"We ride together, We die together, Bad boys 4 life....

NOW CAN YOU DIG DAT SUCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKAAAA

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: April 15, 2004, 12:32:13 PM »

I don't really think that highly of Halo. Ninja Gaiden, on the other hand, kicks ass. That game is the only reason I bought the Xbox -- Shenmue 2 is like an added bonus to me.

I don't think too highly of Halo, either- it's a slightly above average FPS that was hyped beyond all rational thought. It's undeniably a killer app, though. I didn't really like Ninja Gaiden- it was Devil May Cry with a ninja, to me, even down to the orb collecting/redeeming. :/

Offline stinkypete

• View Profile
« Reply #274 on: April 15, 2004, 12:46:48 PM »
A bunch of you claim they read the old interviews with Mr. Dyack, yet, no one did mention this one over at Gamespy: http://archive.gamespy.com/interviews/july03/dyack/index4.shtml
The most interesting part is on page 4, near the end. I particularly like the "No, never. Ever." part.
I also find it disturbing that the only comments about this story are comming from Mr. Dyack, a.k.a. "The MindScrewer". He always does find a way of getting around things with words...
Well, I guess that means I'm with the crazy ones...