Author Topic: et tu, Toys R Us? Retail getting hit pretty hard lately thread  (Read 25890 times)

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
Re: et tu, Toys R Us? Retail getting hit pretty hard lately thread
« Reply #75 on: June 25, 2019, 09:58:12 AM »
Here's my biggest issue with TRU.

They want to bring it back as smaller stores.  Which makes sense, the toy mega store model just isn't as realistic in today's market..

But... that's what made TRU special - it being a giant building full of toys.

I think a hybrid TRU/KayBee Toys model could work... but it won't have the magic that a giant Toys R Us did.

Hopefully, they get things off the ground with smaller stores across the country, but then the mega stores in select large cities.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 25, 2019, 01:39:30 PM »
That could be the perfect hybrid model. Smaller boutique stores in major malls and shopping centers, and large ones in major tourist locations like New York, LA, Seattle, Houston, etc.

Hopefully they also modernize their business practices. Give us reward points or offer some slick online interface and free ship-to-store options...maybe offer some great discounts on games to compete with Best Buy and Amazon and we get our 20% off deal again. Though that is a bit more of a stretch and surely wouldn't last.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #77 on: June 25, 2019, 02:02:25 PM »
There's no way they're getting the Times Square location back, right?  I mean, they could easily have other flagship locations, but that was the location to see/check out.  I know people who have bought stuff there just to say they did.

The one thing about their previous model was that it was, more or less, working just fine until the brand was acquire by venture capitalist firms, probably mostly due to what UB said.  But also other reasons.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 25, 2019, 02:51:59 PM »
The other day I was out with a friend and we stopped by the Toys 'R' Us in Surrey, BC.  The reason we did that was because his family used to live across the street from it and he remembers going to that Toys 'R' Us as a small child.  He ended up taking some pictures of it as the store had not updated much.  The sign was still an older style with Geoffrey the Giraffe.  The TRU that I'm familiar with is in Langley and it has updated a few times and even relocated to a different store in the same mall.  This one looked more like a blast from the past and it even had the "I Don't Wanna Grow Up" song playing.

Now Toys 'R' Us in Canada is no big deal and wasn't affected by the bankruptcy.  But I thought about the nostalgia that the chain has.  Most of Canada's major cities are near the border.  I see Washington licence plates all the time so Americans frequently visit, much like how when I'm in Washington I routinely see other BC plates.  It might be a good idea for Canadian TRUs near the border to play up the nostalgia factor so that Americans may decide to pop by if they're in Canada for some other reason.  The main business model is obviously to sell toys to Canadians but this could be a good bit of marketing to get some more people into the store.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 25, 2019, 09:13:16 PM »
TRU definitely got vulture by VC's. It was ticking along fine, needed updating to go with the times of course. The VC leveraged buyout crippled the company, stripped it's assets. If your company has been acquired by a leveraged buyout, it's only got a couple years to live.

This easy to digest video sums it up quite nicely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JYUo9WKkao
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #80 on: December 06, 2019, 12:59:49 AM »
Don't know if any of you are aware but Toys R Us is coming back for this holiday season. Also there is a partnership with Target dot com to expand Toys R Us reach nationally for this holiday season. Currently there is 2 stores in New Jersey and Texas with plans to expand to 10 stores in the coming year.

https://www.npr.org/2019/11/29/783762495/toys-r-us-reopens-2-stores-under-new-ownership-after-painful-bankruptcy
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 24, 2019, 12:52:45 AM »
I don't think Bed Bath and Beyond's new ad campaign is going to pan out the way they think it is.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #82 on: December 24, 2019, 05:55:40 PM »
?
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 24, 2019, 06:06:46 PM »

it's a hoot

Also apparently it's from like 6 months ago but they've decided to re-air them during the holidays.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 29, 2019, 08:58:52 PM »
You know who's got a good thing going? Walmart. I bought a Wacom Cintiq for myself for Christmas and didn't want to risk having that expensive thing stolen by a porch pirate. So I bought it from Walmart.com then had them ship it to a store. Same price as the Amazon sale price and faster shipping too.