Author Topic: Nintendo Video Service Ends in March  (Read 6299 times)

Offline Aaron Brown

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
Nintendo Video Service Ends in March
« on: February 27, 2014, 04:19:25 PM »

Soak up those videos while you can.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/36698/nintendo-video-service-ends-in-march

The Nintendo Video service on the 3DS will come to an end on March 31, according to Nintendo. This news hits right on the heels of the Wii and DS Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection shutting down.

This means only one more month of access to any Nintendo Video content on your 3DS. No reason was stated for the abrupt conclusion of the service.

Aaron R. Brown
Previews Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo Video Service Ends in March
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 04:38:33 PM »
Nintendo...Video?

*looks at 3DS

Ohhh! That thing?
Gouge away.

Offline Leo13

• Score: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014, 04:39:18 PM »
Hopefully it because they need to online resources allocated to an awesome upcoming came…X

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2014, 04:58:34 PM »
Hopefully it because they need to online resources allocated to an awesome upcoming came…X

Wow, you must REALLY be looking forward to X!
Gouge away.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2014, 05:30:43 PM »
Noooooooooo!!!!1!!!!

Dinosaur Office. :(
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Leo13

• Score: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2014, 05:34:21 PM »
Can you find anyone that played Xenoblade (at least 15 hours worth not someone that didn’t give it a real shot) that isn’t really looking forward to X?

Offline KITT 10K

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2014, 05:40:27 PM »
I thought this app was gonna be really cool, but I was so disappointed with it. I couldn't stand any of the videos that were on it. The "Meat or Die" videos I did like because they made me laugh my ass off and the "BearShark" videos were cool too. But overall I wasn't happy with it. But it does still kinda stink anyway that it's shutting. Oh well I guess.

Offline rlse9

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2014, 05:45:24 PM »
Can you find anyone that played Xenoblade (at least 15 hours worth not someone that didn’t give it a real shot) that isn’t really looking forward to X?
To be fair, I think that could be said about the sequel of virtually every game I've put more than 15 hours into.  If I put that many hours into a game, there's a really good chance I liked it enough that I'd want to play a sequel or I would have stopped playing well before sinking that much time into it.

I don't have a 3DS so I guess the Nintendo Video Service didn't apply to me, but my first thought when I saw the title of this article was: "that still exists?  I had no idea..."

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2014, 06:18:02 PM »
My guess would be due to a lack of use. I only ever booted it up once just to add it to my play book.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2014, 06:41:27 PM »
If Nintendo video was worth anything, I would have thought they would bring it to the Wii U.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2014, 06:50:20 PM »
Noooooooooo!!!!1!!!!

Dinosaur Office. :(

Obviously not in 3D: http://dinosauroffice.com/

Offline Cyrian

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2014, 06:51:17 PM »
The only time I ever used it regularly was for the Kid Icarus anime and The Misadventures of Link, and I'm pretty sure both of those I only knew about because I randomly checked the app when they happened to be there, not from any actual advertising Nintendo did (unless I'm forgetting or didn't see any actual advertising Nintendo did).
If they had done more of those kinds of things it would have been great, but otherwise there was no reason to watch random-music-video-from-a-band-I've-never-heard-of or random-series-made-by-random-people-that's-supposed-to-be-funny-but-really-isn't.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2014, 07:00:11 PM »
I guess I can appreciate some of the indie bands that I learned about like 'I fight dragons' but there's nothing of value being lost here.

Offline Razorkid

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2014, 08:06:28 PM »
According to my Activity Log. Nintendo Video is #17 at 17hrs32min. As crappy as most of the content was, I have quite a few favorites that I wish were either available to purchase or could be found elsewhere on the web (although most of this stuff IS available on the internet).

-Blue Man Group videos (The Remote being my favorite)
-Dinosaur Office
-OK Go videos
-Bear Shark
-The Kid Icarus movies
-Bravest Warriors (so fantastic!)
-Various Indie bands as mentioned above

It's a shame they didn't take advantage of the service more, but I was exposed to a lot of cool things through it and am sad it's getting cut before really doing anything meaningful for the platform.
"All the world is blind to my passing..."

Offline doodies

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2014, 08:11:25 PM »
Unfortunately not everyone's into watching 3 minute long vid clips in 3D.  But hey, there's always the 3DS youtube app...

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2014, 08:55:36 PM »
Can we at least start an internet petition to get Nintendo to release the Dinosaur Office episodes for download? :D
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2014, 09:03:11 PM »
they should put everything up on the eShop. $.99 video downloads.

watch on your Wii U or 3DS, in 3D where applicable.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2014, 09:04:08 PM »
Dinosaur Office and that Misadventures of Link episode where they blow up Tingle. You *might* be able to talk me into Gas-Powered Stick. The rest can rot.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2014, 11:13:11 PM »
It ended for me a long time ago. Horrible service.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline Ochan30

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2014, 03:14:23 AM »
Honestly the only thing of any relevance on this service was the Kid Icarus movies because it was original game related content. Everything else on this service has just been  random stuff not related to Nintendo.

Offline Tyto_Alba

• Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2014, 08:25:19 AM »
Bummer. i always checked those videos. Red Bull sponsored exteme sports, big city musea, Shaun the Sheep, it was all interesting. it was also a great way for Nintendo to promote there stuff. i don't really understand why they are doing this, since 3ds sales are still very high.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2014, 12:08:29 PM »
I sort of liked the Son of a Pitch videos. Maybe more for their spirit than anything really funny from them. I did like when they had Nintendo releated stuff like the Kid Icarus and Kirby anime. I think my hope was always that it would offer more media content. There are a lot of movies made in 3D but there isn't much way to see them that way after they leave the theatre and go to home video. While a 3DS isn't the greatest sized screen, at least it could still display such movies in 3D. They used to show movie trailers on the system but those have disappeared for about a year now also.

In the end, I'm not sure what Nintendo's end goal with this was. A way to make the machine more multi-functional besides just games? Another way to make people use the device everyday? A method to encourage people to keep it in sleep mode for updates? They would try and promote the service but never had much in the way of worthy content for it like 3-diots or something. Remember that? Even the latest Toon Link and Pikmin Safari stuff, for which they sent out an update note promoting, was rather sad. It was just advertising for Wii U games which is fine but not worthwhile to watch in anyway. It wasn't even in 3D since the games aren't 3D.

Basically, I see this and the Wii Wi-Fi shut down as signs of Nintendo's eliminating unnecessary elements and offerings and perhaps stop spending manpower and time in areas that just don't have any major benefit to the company at this time. Sort of some early signs of Nintendo adjusting to the problems from Wii U sales and game delays.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2014, 01:36:36 PM »
Dinosaur Office was the only thing on the service I would rewatch. The Zelda clips were poor. I know a guy who did some Zelda comics that would have been 1000x better than anything in that series.

Bearshark was OK but not worth watching again.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2014, 06:03:53 PM »
Not that I'm complaining (or, with the selection of content, celebrating), but why am I still getting brand new Nintendo Video content?

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2014, 06:11:09 PM »
Maybe I shouldn't have deleted the app?
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast