Author Topic: Episode 703: Incursions Into Complete Despair: A Holiday Special  (Read 1432 times)

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
Episode 703: Incursions Into Complete Despair: A Holiday Special
« on: December 20, 2020, 04:03:06 PM »

Tis the season...

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/55841/episode-703-incursions-into-complete-despair-a-holiday-special

It's the final episode of the year, and Seasonal Affective Disorder is in full swing. James is feeling particularly hurt by the "final" demo of Bravely Default II. He does get some relief when he and Greg talk Sephiroth's arrival in Smash Bros. After the break, Guillaume has been busy: PixelJunk Eden 2, Mechstermination Force, and Contra Hard Corps. He's also joined the ranks of the World's Most Powerful, with the Xbox Series X. He's used it to explore Viva Pinata, Star Wars Squadrons, and Banjo Kazooie. Jon wraps-up the show with Dragon Quest XI S, and Project xCloud.

That's it for us this year, we'll be taking the coming week off, and drop our next episode in the New Year. We have a couple stream plans in-mind for the holidays, so keep an eye on our Twitter account @RFNPodcast. As always you can send questions to our inbox.

Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline rewsan

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Episode 703: Incursions Into Complete Despair: A Holiday Special
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2020, 09:33:20 AM »
Just listening to the episode now, great so far as always. I know it's too late for James now but some info for the Bravely Default 2 Demo, you can set defult to L in the options menu!

Not sure why it isn't on by deafult but there you go.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2020, 09:26:34 PM »
My fave RFN subplot is Guillaume relitigating old IGN Forum grudges.

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2020, 05:42:26 PM »
Just listening to the episode now, great so far as always. I know it's too late for James now but some info for the Bravely Default 2 Demo, you can set defult to L in the options menu!

Not sure why it isn't on by deafult but there you go.

THANK YOU!
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Gamer@Law

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2020, 10:02:29 PM »
My biggest complaint with both Bravely Default II demos remains the removal of turn-round combat.  The new quasi-ATB system found in the “Final Demo” is a mild improvement from the first demo, but it too fails in its attempt to incorporate the Brave/Default mechanics.

Turn-round combat afforded the player the ability to properly strategize, to employ Braving/Defaulting (as well as other buffs/debuffs) effectively and to build effective combinations of skills.  It worked perfectly in the 3DS titles and there was no valid reason for removing it now.

Another glaring flaw is the redundant combat dialogue.  It gets so bad after a few hours that many players are likely to turn off the volume during combat.  A shame because what I have heard of the soundtrack thus far is very good.

Removing random encounters, along with the player’s ability to control their frequency, strikes me as yet another unforced error by the dev team.

BD II was the title I was most looking forward to going into 2020.  The first two games in the series hold a special place for me and I have told countless people that I consider Bravely Default to be the best ‘Final Fantasy’ game since IX.  Sadly, these demos leave me convinced that BD II will fall far short of the mark left by the earlier entries in the series.