Author Topic: "Official" Metroid Prime Trilogy discussion thread ;)  (Read 71840 times)

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Re: "Official" Metroid Prime Trilogy discussion thread ;)
« Reply #275 on: August 22, 2010, 02:09:26 PM »
Scanning was neat-o the first and second time I played through the original Prime. After that, it bored me. I certainly didn't feel like scanning everything in Echoes and Corruption.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #276 on: August 22, 2010, 02:23:37 PM »
I could agree about scanning on repeated playthroughs, the info won't change from the first time you played it. It's still worth doing it the first time through a Prime game, especially since they help provide even more info on the story and the background.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: August 22, 2010, 02:26:59 PM »
Part of what you're describing is QTE and QTE is f*cking terrible. I'd rather just have a shorter cutscene than have to deal with that bullsh*t. Part of the problem is that there's no real way to make exposition engaging. They don't even do that in movies.

Not to pick you too much apart there, but QTEs don't have to suck like they did in RE4 and whatnot.  So long as the commands are simple; clearly labeled; and you have plenty of time to respond, they can be pretty engaging and lead to a very cinematic (and awesome) experience.  Just recently I played an excellent Naruto game (skip ahead to 2:00 mark) that made very good use of them for the battles against giant bosses, and I didn't find them intrusive at all.

As for Scanning, I'll agree that it gets tiresome after a while and I never did read all of them.  Still, it did lend itself to a very detached kind of storytelling that served the isolationist sci-fi setting very well.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 10:19:14 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: August 22, 2010, 04:31:17 PM »
No, that would still irritate me. I've played several games with QTE and none of those sequences were fun. Some were just less annoying than others.

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: August 22, 2010, 09:40:24 PM »
QTEs are terrible, don't trust them. Let them die.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: March 12, 2015, 12:18:03 PM »
I've been playing Metroid Prime 2 on the Wii U Trilogy buy. My biggest gripe? Not enough save points. I have to invest a significant chunk of time every time I want to play that game. There's no pecking away at it for a bit at a time. I wish the Wii games on Wii U had gotten the full Virtual Console treatment and included restore points and Miiverse integration and Off-TV play though for this title that last one would be useless. Actually, I think all Wii titles, whether played directly from the Wii U menu or played through launching the Wii emulation have Off-TV play now, don't they?
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: March 12, 2015, 05:54:29 PM »
Please Retro, make another Prime game for Wii U.  Best game series ever.

« Reply #282 on: March 12, 2015, 10:48:50 PM »
Please Warner, make another Mortal Kombat game for Wii U.  Best game series ever.

Fixed that for you.
Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: March 12, 2015, 11:37:18 PM »
I wonder, did Other M's QTE's work for you, Broodwars?

In any case, I have this game sitting on my Wii U and I'm very excited to jump back into it- Prime is one f my favorite games of all time. I'm not particularly thrilled about the pointer controls, however, because I wasn't in love with them in Corruption. Do they still do the bullshit "you can lock on to any enemy normally but the boss lock on still requires aiming" thing? That drove me nuts in Corruption. If you're going to have a "lock-on" function it sure as hell better targe my enemy directly.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: March 13, 2015, 08:16:12 AM »
I wonder, did Other M's QTE's work for you, Broodwars?

In any case, I have this game sitting on my Wii U and I'm very excited to jump back into it- Prime is one f my favorite games of all time. I'm not particularly thrilled about the pointer controls, however, because I wasn't in love with them in Corruption. Do they still do the bullshit "you can lock on to any enemy normally but the boss lock on still requires aiming" thing? That drove me nuts in Corruption. If you're going to have a "lock-on" function it sure as hell better targe my enemy directly.

There are options to remove that free aim. I assume that's what it does as I've never used it.  There are a few enemies which can break your lock on too.  I have to say that of all games that got Wiimote nonsense shoehorned into it, this series is one of the few that did it OK. (Skyward Sword is forever on my hate list until is comes out with real controls.) 

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: April 06, 2015, 03:02:06 AM »
So, I am playing through this again. My impressions: I should make a game like Metroid Prime. I had forgotten how good these games were.

What do you mean make a game like Metroid Prime. Well since Ouya came out I have been dicking around with the unity engine. What I realized while playing Metroid Prime. I've already figured out all the things I could do to make a Metroid Prime inspired game. I currently have a completely different game in the works, but I could change it. 
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post