Author Topic: The NWR Community's Top 20 3DS Games.  (Read 12732 times)

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
The NWR Community's Top 20 3DS Games.
« on: March 03, 2015, 12:53:50 AM »
Less talk, more action!

You've seen what the NWR staff thinks, (and if you haven't then you should really click here) now let's see how it compares to the forum majority and your own personal lists. And if the staff want to repost their individual list selections here, go for it

After say, 2 - 3 weeks, we'll do a tally and see how it compares. You can just straight up post a list or feel free to give a complete breakdown of why you are ranking the games the way you are.

As shown by the inclusion of Mutant Mudds, your top 20 list can include any retail and original e-shop games. VC games are not to be included. What have you been playing?
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Re: The NWR Community's Top 20 3DS Games.
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2015, 01:48:20 AM »
You know, I was going to do this myself, and now you just made me look bad. If I weren't such a kindhearted and benevolent ruler I'd terminate you for insubordination. As it stands, if you want to take on the work of tabulating the votes, go right ahead, and I'll take on the arduous duty of linking here and posting 140 character messages about it.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2015, 02:12:01 AM »
As it stands, if you want to take on the work of tabulating the votes, go right ahead, and I'll take on the arduous duty of linking here and posting 140 character messages about it.

*gasp* Are you suggesting a team-up?

Alright Lois. With your crack 140 character reporting skills and my super strength at keeping these forums alive, I think we could make a pretty good team. And who knows? It might lead to many other adventures....

Online NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2015, 02:37:30 AM »
I was thinking Sam and Diane, but that works too.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2015, 03:13:35 AM »
Haven't played all of the supposed great 3DS games, but here's my list anyhow!

20) Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance - Sure, the story doesn't make a lick of sense, but when you have action-packed gameplay so good, who cares! The combat and platforming in Dream Drop Distance was something to behold, allowing Sora and Riku to enter much impressive combos and feats of strength, such as spinning around poles to smack right into foes. The music and visuals are high caliber to go along with the strong gameplay, all making for a Kingdom Hearts adventure worth having.

19) Mario & Luigi: Dream Team - Full of unneeded tutorials, yes, but when they're written with humor, it's not so bad. Mario and Luigi's latest quest together brought them from the land of the sleeping to the land of the awake, delivering innovative gameplay, a wealth of intriguing locations, and a humorous story in the process. The timing-based combat featured in past games was as strong as ever, and made each battle engaging instead of a "Mash A to Win" fest that plagues so many other RPGs.

18) Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy - The last chapter in the Professor Layton series as we know it, Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy brought a heartfelt goodbye to the franchise's long-standing characters. The amount and quality of the game's trademark brain teasers and puzzles were superb, the presentation was top-notch, and the added modes allowed for an experience that could go on long after the satisfying ending and accompanying credits were over.

17) Mario Kart 7 - What it lacked in content, Mario Kart 7 made up for with tight racing action, a grand selection of tracks to race on, and cool new kart modifications that made karts speed around by land, by sea, and by air. The process to unlock kart parts was obnoxious, but at the same time there was always something to strive for, whether online or off. Mario Kart 7 is a sound racer that I still play to this day, and the wonderful gameplay, track design, and online all help me do just that.

16) Kirby: Triple Deluxe - Taking the Triple Deluxe name (3D, get it?) and implementing it to make some highly creative levels, Kirby: Triple Deluxe didn't rework the Kirby formula. In fact, it felt like an offshoot of Return to Dream Land. However, the level design and gameplay in general were both so tight that this didn't matter. Levels stretched from the foreground to the background, showing off the Nintendo 3DS' 3D abilities to great effect. Four new Kirby powers and a host of content make this Kirby game a must-have for fans of the pink puffball.

15) New Super Mario Bros. 2 - Many passed on New Super Mario Bros. 2 or relegated it to "just another New Super Mario Bros. game", but for me, the title was a promising look at the future developers within Nintendo. The game's development team was mostly comprised of younger staffers, and these staffers allowed the level design in New Super Mario Bros. 2 to have some very clever and unexpected challenges to it. It's not as surprising or as revolutionary as Super Mario Bros. or Super Mario World were to their respective eras of gaming, but with New Super Mario Bros. 2, it didn't have to be. It was pure, unadulterated platforming fun, and that's all I wanted from the game. It delivered in that regard.

14) Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D - What I consider the definitive version of one of the best Donkey Kong Country games, Returns 3D brought with it better controls, eight new levels, and glorious stereoscopic 3D. It also featured an easier mode for those who didn't feel up to the original game's challenge, and boy, was there ever a challenge to be had! Despite a halved frame-rate when compared to the Wii original, Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D manages to still be fabulous handheld version of a great game.

13) Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon - I enjoyed the original Luigi's Mansion on the GameCube, but that game was more of a tech demo, a graphical showcase of what the GameCube could do in its early life. Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon felt more of an adventure with much more depth, creativity, and content. Exploring not one but a handful of mansions with various traits to them was a lot of fun, and the mission-based structure allowed for different objectives in the same mansions. It all equals a grander adventure than the original, incredibly competent Luigi's Mansion. It shows that Next Level Games certainly is an asset to Nintendo and its fans.

12) Resident Evil Revelations - Despite no longer being a Nintendo 3DS exclusive and having console versions readily available now, the Nintendo 3DS original Resident Evil Revelations is still a terror-iffic title that is sort of a compromise between the survival horror of the early Resident Evil games and the focus on action of titles in the series like Resident Evil 4 and on. The story while corny was quite interesting with its episodic structure, cool twists, and fun characters. The action was intense, and Raid Mode kept me occupied for hours upon hours. Overall, it's a really good take on the Resident Evil series.

11) Fantasy Life - I was finally able to complete the goal that my dad had said to me, and I finally got a life. Actually, I got TWELVE of them! To be truthful, my dad never said to get a life, but that wouldn't have allowed me to make that joke. Anyway, while the story is short and a little monotonous, the main draw of Fantasy Life is taking up one of twelve jobs (or Lives) and completing tasks to earn points that allow you to level up your job. A Blacksmith can level up to forge much better weapons and armor. Throw in some terrific action-RPG goodness, and you have Fantasy Life!

10)
Fire Emblem: Awakening - This wasn't my first Fire Emblem game, but it was the first one I actually completed (or even got close to completing, for that matter). It helped that this edition of Fire Emblem was more inviting and welcoming to players thanks to the totally optional Casual Mode. It made a game that would otherwise be very frustrating and unforgiving much less so for those who wanted to go that direction (e.g. me). The killer presentation, engaging tactical battles, and great gameplay created a Fire Emblem that was fit for all rather than just a smaller niche of people.

9) Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS - While predictably inferior to its big brother, the Super Smash Bros. series' debut on a portable device was a fantastic one. The game's exclusive Smash Run saw a lot of play time by me, and the new stages included were quite well conceived for the most part. My favorite part of the solo side of Smash is collecting all of those trophies, an addicting prospect that I certainly stood up and took the challenge on. Despite being on weaker hardware, the full Smash Bros. experience was available on the Nintendo 3DS in handheld form, and that is mighty darn impressive.

8. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D - Containing one of the most living, breathing worlds in gaming history, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D was long awaited remake of the now-inferior Nintendo 64 original. Adding helpful tweaks to benefit the gameplay experience to make it a marked improvement over the original, Majora's Mask 3D is the definitive way to play and explore Clock Town and the land of Termina. The lack of dungeons was something I thought I minded, but I found the substitution of venturing in the world and making new discoveries instead of more dungeons to be a highly satisfying one. Seriously though, I don't much care for the new Gyorg battle.

7) Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call - My favorite music game, bar-none, Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call is a Final Fantasy fan's dream come true. Over 200 songs, multiple playable characters, a wealth of unlockable content that opens itself to players on a steady basis, and new modes like Quest and online battles all add up to a rhythm game that pours out content and lovely tunes. It's a great game even if you don't care for the series it represents.

6) Kid Icarus: Uprising - A fair portion of players had trouble adapting to the controls of this game, and moreover some even felt pain while playing it. I wasn't one of those people, so I fully enjoyed the return of Pit and Palutena in Kid Icarus: Uprising. From the game's humor to its excellent fast and fluid combat, to its excellent soundtrack and voice acting, I loved all that Kid Icarus: Uprising had to offer. Whether playing online or tackling some of the challenges to unlock content a la Kirby Air Ride, Pit's return to glory was one that I was honored to play. I hope Masahiro Sakurai gets time to another project that isn't Smash-related.

5) Mario Golf: World Tour - An odd choice perhaps, but Mario Golf: World Tour somehow outplayed my favorite golf games, the original Nintendo 64 Mario Golf, Hot Shots Golf Fore!, and We Love Golf! If those aforementioned games were eagles, then World Tour was an albatross. The amount of content, unlockable Mii costumes, brilliantly designed courses, challenges, Castle Club solo mode, characters, online tournaments, online play in general, and DLC were all immense and fantastic. All of that easily makes Mario Golf: World Tour not just my favorite golf game but one of my favorite 3DS titles.

4) Animal Crossing: New Leaf - My older brother and I have spent a collective total of over 700 hours. We've since stopped playing the game, but that was after a colossal amount of time. The improvements to the Animal Crossing series were apparent and very much welcomed. The amount of customization to your town was phenomenal, and the addictive nature of the Animal Crossing series was quite apparent within New Leaf.

3) Super Mario 3D Land - A no nonsense 3D platformer that is a brilliant compromise between 2D and 3D Mario games. Has excellent level design with some truly clever hidden secrets, and the special worlds are enjoyable takes on the previous eight worlds with some unexpected twists. In addition to that, the 3D effect is still one of the most pronounced and helpful on the 3DS.

2) The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds - On my site, I gave this game a rare 10/10. The game isn't perfect, but a 10/10 meant close to perfection. The wall merging mechanic opened up so many ingenious ideas with the world and dungeon design, the freedom of the game was something I hadn't felt since the original NES Zelda (though not as open), and the game overall emanated polish from every legendary orifice. It was a nostalgia trip on A Link to the Past, but it was also its own magnificent beast.

1) The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D - My favorite game of all time got even better with the additions of improved visuals, touch screen inventory management (making equipping the Iron Boots less of a hassle), and gyro aiming. Still my favorite Zelda game and still my favorite game of all time.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Online NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2015, 03:24:00 AM »
Adding a bit of text like that is nice, though certainly not required. If I'm going to post this on the site it'd be cool to be able to pull quotes from people who voted for the games. Even if you just want to do it for a few of your choices.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2015, 03:48:52 AM »
Yeah, I figured if I was going to do this I'd go all in!  ;D

Offline Triforce Hermit

• This title doesn't make sense.
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2015, 08:33:23 AM »
1) Fire Emblem: Awakening- Best tactical RPG I've played ever and one of the best RPGs out there.

2) Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
- Nintendo changed a lot with the Zelda formula in this. It would be #1, but I can't justify the short ass dungeons or the low difficulty of the dungeons.

3) Rune Factory 4- I liked the series to begin with, but this is probably the second best or the best title overall. Still plagued by some of the problems that have been persistent in the series since birth however. Ones that could be easily fixed. Still have like 400 hours devoted into it.

4) Pokemon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire- Nostalgia. Good nostalgia though

5)Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D- More nostalgia.

6) Tales of the Abyss
- Didn't play it on the PS2, but supposedly it sucked. This version fixes all the problems the game had. I love it.

7) Pokemon Y/X
- Great step forward, but I just felt the region to be a bit.....empty?

8 )Animal Crossing: New Leaf
- I still don't know what I think of this game. I don't hate it, but I don't love it. I can jump on for a few days, have a blast, but get bored quickly and leave. But I still find myself coming back. I'm not used to games where you pace yourself.

9) Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth
- Good game all around and perfectly blends Persona and EO gameplay together. However, what they did to the characters is terrible.

10) Fantasy Life- Another game where I can't finish it all at once. I hop on and off, but I have to pace myself and I'm not used to doing that in games. Despite a handful of problems, its still a fantastic game.

That is all the 3DS games I own and have played enough to review. Just about 10 games, but I still have over 1000-2000 hours sunk into the system.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 08:36:29 AM by Triforce Hermit »
Sometimes, you just want to play a video game.
NNiD: Triforcehermit09

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2015, 11:11:12 AM »
All of a sudden, I'm not sure I want to participate.

Looked at the games I own/want but haven't yet played... and realized they are some of my most anticipated games on the system. Pacing myself by playing older DS games is now coming back to haunt me because I can't speak with any authority about how good, for example, Rune Factory 4 or Fantasy Life or Monster Hunter 4 really are.

Do I list the excellent Etrian Odyssey 4 when I suspect that Persona Q will be (for me) even more enjoyable?  How can I list Monster Hunter 3 in good conscience without playing the recent sequel?

(Oh, I'll still list my 10 or 20 favorite games up to this point. But without any illusions that my list are truly the best games on the system.)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 12:58:47 PM by ejamer »
NNID: ejamer

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2015, 12:04:00 PM »
Yeah, there's only 8 games I've really given a fair playtime to in order to judge. Maybe if I hadn't let Animal Crossing: New Leaf become such an obsession to me, I could have played a lot more. Heck, at this point, I'd like to even replay some of the stuff I've already beat and played. While I use my 3DS for New Leaf, I've gone back to my DS systems to play through some more of my backlog there and have played some pretty good stuff that way.

When I see these lists, it's just a reminder of all the great stuff I still need to get to. Of course, some things tie into other things. I'd like to beat Bowser's Inside Story before playing Dream Team. I want to play the Last Specter before playing Miracle Mask. Oh well. At least I pretty much completed Smash Bros for 3DS pretty good. Just 8 characters I've yet to finish unlocking all the custom moves for. So, once in a blue moon, I can stay ahead of the curve.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2015, 07:51:13 PM »
Ok, so my list isn't really fair (as mentioned above) but here it is anyway.

1. Animal Crossing New Leaf - Strong iteration on a fantastic series. The sheer number of hours I've spent enjoying the game make it an easy choice.
2. Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate - Probably will be replaced by MH4, but remains to be seen.
3. Etrian Odyssey IV - Love this game. I suspect that Persona Q would also be on my list, but haven't played it yet.
4. Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon - Fantastic game that seems to be overshadowed because it stars the less popular brother.
5. Bravely Default
6. Star Fox 64 3D
7. Tales of the Abyss
8. Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D - Majora's Mask was my preference, but I haven't yet played the remake.
9. Kid Icarus Uprising
10. Theatrhytm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call - I hate rhythm games... but love this one for some reason!
11. Colors! 3D - Nobody ever thinks about or mentions this app, but it's fantastic. Great tool with strong online features.
12. Resident Evil Revelations - Perhaps forgotten after being released on consoles, but one of my favorite 3DS experiences.
13. Cave Story - Classic on the go. Is the 3D version better? I like the original...
14. Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds - Great throwback, not as great as Link to the Past though.
15. Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward - Fantastic gameplay improvements over the previous game, story not quite as crazy though.
16. SteamWorld: Dig
17. New Super Mario Bros 2
18. Pushmo - Simple, but a fantastic original puzzle game.
19. Attack of the Friday Monsters - Simply charming.
20. Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D - Circle Pad Pro (or New 3DS) required.

Lots of older games listed because that's what I've spent the most time with.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2015, 09:52:22 PM »
I'll edit in descriptions later, but here we go...

1) Super Mario 3D Land
2) The Legend of Zelda: Link Between Worlds
3) Pokemon XY
4) Fire Emblem Awakening
5) Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
6) Shovel Knight
7) Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth
8) Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward
9) Harmoknight
10) Crashmo
11) Professor Layton v Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney
12) Kirby Triple Deluxe
13) Mario Kart 7
14) Gunman Clive
15) Theatrhythm: Final Fantasy Curtain Call
16) Pokemon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire
17) Azure Striker Gunvolt
18) Fantasy Life
19) Super Smash Bros 4 3DS
20) Hakuoki: Memories of the Shinsengumi
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2015, 09:58:58 PM »
refer to other one,
also top 20?
top 10 is better way to really strain your brain on what is best.
Made you look ****.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2015, 01:17:58 AM »

My top 20:

20. Mario Kart 7
19. Mario Kart 7
18. Mario Kart 7
17. Mario Kart 7
16. Mario Kart 7
15. Mario Kart 7
14. Mario Kart 7
13. Mario Kart 7
12. Mario Kart 7
11. Mario Kart 7
10. Brain Age: Concentration Training
09. Mario Kart 7
08. Mario Kart 7
07. Mario Kart 7
06. Mario Kart 7
05. Mario Kart 7
04. Mario Kart 7
03. Mario Kart 7
02. New Super Mario Bros. 2
01. Mario Kart 7

Oh yeah!

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2015, 02:10:43 AM »

17) Mario Kart 7
13) Mario Kart 7

Your guy keeps interrupting himself. I've been sitting here for an hour waiting for him to complete his sentence.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2015, 05:44:07 PM »
I'm not entirely sure if I've played 20 3DS games yet, I'll have to figure it out as I count 'em up. I've spent more time buying and playing DS games, since there's a lot more available on that system and most of it is better than what's on 3DS. Some of the games on my list are sort of on it "by default" and it will very likely change after I play more games. Maybe next year's list will look better. I don't think I feel strongly enough about anything to make comments on them.

20. Dillon's Rolling Western
19, Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS
18. Theatrhythm Final Fantasy Curtain Call
17. Pokémon X
16. Mario Kart 7
15. Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D
14. New Super Mario Bros. 2
13. Super Mario 3D Land
12. Heroes of Ruin
11. Kid Icarus Uprising
10. Kirby Triple Deluxe
9. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
8. Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
7. Animal Crossing New Leaf
6. Mario Golf World Tour
5. Bravely Default
4. Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan
3. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
2. Fantasy Life
1. Luigi's Mansion 2: Dark Moon

Whew! Made it! Most of the bottom stuff will probably not be here after I play more games.

I guess I could say a little something about my number one choice, which is that it isn't quite the sequel I was expecting, which is both good and bad. Although I do miss the focus on exploration that the original GCN game had, this sequel still has fun action in it, and plenty of secrets to locate in its five mansions. But where it really shines for me is the multiplayer mode. Maybe it's because I never imagined what a multiplayer mode would be like in Luigi's Mansion, but it's just so fun, and takes a surprising amount of teamwork and skill to do well. Some of the mode combos can take a while though and so I still have a few left to beat since it can be tough to get a good team going for that long.

I was actually tempted to put Fantasy Life at number one also since I've had a lot of fun playing that game with a friend. Although it could have a greater variety of differences between classes, there are still a lot of challenges to undertake and monsters to slay, making it a great game to hang out in and see what unfolds.

Offline Wah

• View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2015, 06:24:43 PM »
I think Smash bros for 3ds
is better than the wii u version.
I don't know why, maybe it's because I'm so used to handheld (and pc) gaming now.

and new super mario bros 2...
sucks huge dick,
it doesn't deserve to be on a top 100 let alone 20.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 06:26:38 PM by Lucariofan99 »
Made you look ****.

Online NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2015, 09:04:32 PM »
This was my list for the staff feature:

1. Super Mario 3D Land
2. Mutant Mudds
3. Animal Crossing New Leaf
4. Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D
5. Etrian Odyssey IV
6. Shovel Knight
7. Super Smash Bros. for 3DS
8. Pokémon X & Y
9. Resident Evil Revelations
10. New Super Mario Bros. 2
11. Bravely Default
12. Xeodrifter
13. Pilotwings Resort
14. Mario Golf World Tour
15. Gunman Clive
16. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
17. Kid Icarus Uprising
18. Crashmo
19. Kirby Triple Deluxe
20. Mighty Switch Force

J.P. Corbran

Offline Wah

• View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2015, 09:45:29 PM »
This was my list for the staff feature:

1. Super Mario 3D Land
2. Mutant Mudds
3. Animal Crossing New Leaf
4. Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D
5. Etrian Odyssey IV
6. Shovel Knight
7. Super Smash Bros. for 3DS
8. Pokémon X & Y
9. Resident Evil Revelations
10. New Super Mario Bros. 2
11. Bravely Default
12. Xeodrifter
13. Pilotwings Resort
14. Mario Golf World Tour
15. Gunman Clive
16. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
17. Kid Icarus Uprising
18. Crashmo
19. Kirby Triple Deluxe
20. Mighty Switch Force
Are u crazy 3d land(not bad but like i said), NSMB2?
and wat the fark is a crasmo?
Made you look ****.

Online NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2015, 10:58:12 PM »
You might know Crashmo better as Fallblox, which was its name in Europe and I assume Australia as well.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Wah

• View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2015, 08:00:07 PM »
oh pullblox, ok good game
Made you look ****.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2015, 02:40:58 PM »
20. The Keep- One of the better eShop titles, which is where a good amount of the games on my list can be found. The Keep isn't particularly adventurous in its genre, but it is a solid first-person dungeon crawler with great puzzles and presentation, brutal enemies, and two very engaging combat systems that make it the right fit for the 3DS. It was made for the system, and it is a very good game.
19. Resident Evil: Revelations- The game is truly one of the best looking on the 3DS, features an extensive online mode with tons of replayability, and a great story mode that starts spooky and amps up into a ridiculous action movie with no break in its flow- an impressive feat. Also one of the best 3D titles on the system, with amazing depth options that can really help the immersion.
18. Kirby: Triple Deluxe- Speaking of great 3D, Triple Deluxe is one of those games that makes you WANT to play the title with the slider up. Presentation-wise, the game is bursting with 3D content, and also boasts great gyro puzzles atop really nice level design, music, and a load of content that makes it an amazing tribute to all things Kirby.
17. Rune Factory 4- While I'm not head over heels in love with this game, it is the only farm/life sim that has ever appealed to me in any way and its systems are incredibly deep and satisfying. Its the best farm/life sim on the system, and that's saying something.
!6. HarmoKnight- Game Freak took a chance with HarmoKnight, but the result is an extremely tight rhythm game with stylistic variations on a central theme, which is really quite a novel idea. The 40 levels in the game, plus their up tempo versions, PLUS the remixed stages make this eShop title well-worth it. It will kick your teeth in, though.
!5. Pokemon X and Y- These titles get on my list because they boast a more attractive amount of content than ORAS, with outfit customization and a much more interesting friend system. Also, they were the first time we saw Pokemon on a handheld FINALLY in 3D, and they look damn fine. A beautiful region, great music, serviceable story, and tight gameplay innovations help this title make its mark as the most enjoyable- and exploitable- Pokemon title yet.
14. The Starship Damrey- This is a game that will never make it onto the final list (if one is ever put together), but it deserves a mention because dammit, The Starship Damrey is the reason the eShop exists. It is obscure, bizarre, and amazing all at the same time, and is a game I can truly describe as an "experience". To say any more would be a disservice to the game's concept, so I will leave it at that.
13. Fire Emblem: Awakening- While not the best Fire Emblem story, the gameplay additions made to the formula in Awakening are extremely satisfying and exploitable, to the point where the title feels more like a grid-based RPG than a strategy title at times. Still, with a great soundtrack and solid mechanics, it's hard not to love the game.
12. Pushmo- Intelligent Systems has been on their game with the 3DS (Paper Mario aside), and Pushmo is no exception. A rare puzzle-platformer with control mechanics that make it enjoyable even when you have no clue what you're doing, Pushmo also feels like a game where the mechanics are taken to their extremes and back, and with the level designer, there's no limit to what you can experiment with. It's a damn fine game.
11. Kid Icarus: Uprising- When this game first came out, I devoured it, and it was some of the most fun I've had on a handheld. Looking back now, I feel that Uprising came out at the right time, when the 3DS needed it most. Its solid online matchmaking is nice and has some interesting depth, but the most amazing aspect of the game is its wonderful story mode that is deliciously cheesy and fun all at the same time. Control issues? Nah.
10. Mario Kart 7- I didn't pick Mario Kart 7 up immediately when it first dropped, and I feel bad about that, because playing it at the beginning of its life was probably fantastic. Not to say it isn't now- Mario Kart 7 is an extremely tight racing game with plenty of depth and customization that is just right. I have had a blast with this game.
9. Mighty Switch Force! 2- It's weird, because the original Mighty Switch Force didn't really click with me. I didn't understand why the game was so short and simple- until I realized that Par times were a major factor in getting the most out of the game. By the time MSF2 came around, I was prepared for the specific style of puzzle platforming. However, I was not prepared for how streamlined, complex, and satisfying Wayforward would turn this series in the sequel. Great music, great design, and added challenge with new mechanics make MSF2 the definitive Switch Force experience.
8. Crashmo- I was hesitant to split this sequel and its predecessor into their own entries, but I can't help it- Crashmo is what a sequel SHOULD be. It takes the mechanics of the first title and gives them a whole new twist that is absolutely genius, and at the same time, makes you think in a completely different way. It's hard, it's clever, and it's fun.
7. Shantae and the Pirate's Curse- Funny that the most magical of the Shantae titles is the one with no Genie powers at all, but Pirate's Curse is a genuinely sweet and epic story with some fantastic, streamlined gameplay that shows Wayforward is on top of their game. Not much else to say.
6. Shin Megami Tensei IV- I never thought I would play a full-sized RPG on a handheld, but that's what SMTIV is. It also has a nice, moody atmosphere, mechanics that are simplistic but feature loads of depth, and a rocking soundtrack. Punishing at first glance, it is a game that will keep you guessing until the very end, and maybe even after that.
5. Crimson Shroud- On the subject of RPGs, one of my favorites on the system (and one I've put around 40 hours into) doesn't cost more than 8 dollars. With a delightful atmosphere that revolves around the core gameplay mechanics and bleeds over into the art style, Crimson Shroud is a game that is quirky and engaging all at the same time, and would have a hard time existing anywhere aside from the eShop.
4. Etrian Odyssey IV- Never having played Etrian Odyssey before, I wandered into EOIV with an open mind and a lot of patience. What I ended up with was a unique first-person dungeon crawler with loads of content, an exploitable combat system, and amazing music. Everything comes together as a title that is relaxing and exciting all at the same time, and it's proof that the EO team can take a solid foundation and throw some genuinely new ideas into it.
3. Mutant Mudds- Oh, Mutant Mudds. Why do I love you so? I guess, after slogging through the torture that was Super Mario 3D Land, I was reminded of my love for the classic Super Mario Land 2- a game filled with fresh ideas, locales, and abilities, and wondered what a game of that scope would be like on the 3DS. Mutant Mudds answered the call and made me remember what 2D platformers could be. Not only was it a great game upon release, but it only improved as Renegade Kid updated the title in future releases, giving 3DS owners that content for free. Its once-respectable, now-massive 80-level length may not use a great deal of unique art assets but the gameplay is tight and the level design is incredible. It also looks quite nice in 3D, as well.
2. Super Smash Bros. for 3DS- Even though I now have the Wii U version, I boot up Smash Bros. 3DS quite often and marvel at how this game actually exists on the 3DS. With a huge roster and plenty of additional content to fight through, it's one of the most impressive titles on the system and it's extremely fun, too. I honestly would not be disappointed with only the 3DS title.
1. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds- While some argue the game is too easy, I think A Link Between Worlds is just an example of fine gameplay that feels comfortable enough to be accessible to just about anyone. The puzzles are more straightforward but the way they utilize the entirety of Link's moveset and inventory makes each Dungeon feel like a comprehensive experience. You learn how to use your item and you make the most use of it. Atop this, the game also boasts a gorgeous soundtrack that is hopefully a sign of things to come for the Wii U title, as well as a mechanic that takes the familiar and gives it an all-new twist. It's charming, nostalgic, and also ridiculously fun, even for newcomers.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2015, 06:16:20 PM »
Well, this sure got a lot of turnout. I guess the forums would rather rank Zelda games instead.

Still, I'll give this thread one more week which will be close to a month and then calculate everything up. So, if someone still wants to contribute to this and add their input, please do so. And even if you can't do a top 20 but do a top 15 or top 10, that's alright. Don't let that hold you back.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2015, 10:15:26 PM »
I haven't even played 10 games yet.

1.  Mario 3D Land
2.  Link Between Worlds
3.  Smash Bros
4.  Ocarina of Time 3D
5.  Kid Icarus Uprising
6.  Luigi's Mansion

I just got no time.  Doesn't help I still have around 20 regular DS games I still need to play as well.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2015, 08:00:33 PM »
Can I vote twice?

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2015, 09:04:02 PM »
Legally, you can only vote twice by using an alt account of yours. It's how I vote 5 times on something and everyone is fine with that because it's at least 5 different usernames.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2015, 01:05:39 AM »
I haven't had a 3DS wrong, but I really enjoy Rusty's Real Deal Baseball.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2015, 10:39:56 AM »
I've only had a 3DS for 6 months. But I can say Fire Emblem Awakening and Smash 3DS are both exceptional. I also have Mario and Luigi Dream Team as part of the bundle but I haven't played it.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2015, 07:06:19 PM »
I haven't had a 3DS wrong, but I really enjoy Rusty's Real Deal Baseball.
So you have a right 3DS? That's good!

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2015, 04:00:47 PM »
It's okay if this doesn't go any further than this topic. I can always just transpose my list and descriptions to my own site. Kill two birds with one proverbial stone. Only the stone's proverbial. I'm seriously gonna kill two birds.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2015, 09:59:53 PM »
Am I the only one who didn't like pushmo?

Offline Wah

• View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2015, 10:21:08 PM »
It was O.K.
Fallblox sucked tho.
Made you look ****.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2015, 07:06:23 AM »
What is this madness? Pushmo and Crashmo are awesome.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.