Author Topic: Your Online Experience with Brawl  (Read 25861 times)

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
Re: Your Online Experience with Brawl
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2008, 03:11:31 PM »
THIS POST HAS BEEN CENSORED FOR YOUR PROTECTION

--Bureau of Internet Morality
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 03:34:11 PM by Morari »
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline Saturn2888

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2008, 01:02:32 AM »
Aw crud, I do have a forum name. I sent mine into the mailbag. If Stephen or someone could e-mail it back to me, I'll post it here since I think it's informative.
Only insanity brings perfection.

Offline Saturn2888

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2008, 01:02:51 AM »
Double posted by accident. I cannot delete it.
Only insanity brings perfection.

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2008, 01:08:29 AM »
I haven't been able to even try it because of the fail codes. Mine was wrong because of the odd font the game uses and now I doubt anyone will take the time to try to register mine again, is it really that damn hard to just use the wii console codes in a game? it's so stupid to make game's specific codes besides the wii code. Luckily I barely care about online, but if Nintendo wants to try it they should at least make some effort to do something decent.
"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2008, 01:55:49 AM »
SSBB = Slide-Show Bros. Brawl

My online experience has been terrible.  I don't have enough derogatory adjectives to describe how bad Brawl's online is.  The friend codes are annoying in the first place, but on top of that they don't even work.  Not even half of the 17 people I have added have gotten past the "Awaiting Registration" phase.  Jonny Metts has me added on his end and I show up as registered on his side, but he's still in "Awaiting Registration" on my side.  But what's comical is that he can send me match replays and custom stages...but he's still in "Awaiting Registration".  It's idiotic.

My lag is terrible...matches are totally unplayable.  Even good matches get killed when a person with a laggy connection gets added, and I can't even remember the last time I played a match without losing connection.  Sure, I'm connecting over wireless and the signal isn't at its strongest (maybe half-strength) where the Wii is located, but come on.  My laptop sure as hell isn't dropping my connection all over the place, and it's likely pushing more data over the network than Brawl.

Fortunately, I have plenty of REAL online games - Call of Duty 4, Halo 3, Warhawk, Resistance: Fall of Man, etc.  Don't worry Nintendo, I'll be fine.  Unfortunately you already have my $50, but I'll remember that next time.

Hey Nintendo: You guys make good games, but your online service makes you look like f**king clowns.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline phyredfenix

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2008, 11:17:28 AM »
It's been hit or miss.  Actually more misses than hits to be honest.  The lag is unreal, every 2 seconds the game pauses.
Separate the bullsh**t from the truth.....

Offline vashkey

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2008, 04:08:59 PM »
Frankly, it's rather lame.

For one, theres no voice chat.  With this in consideration, theres almost no reason at all to play.  You'd be better off playing against the CPU, as there is no lagg.
Personally, I normally experience lagg in every other match.  It's far to common.
I find it stupid that you can't even use customized taunts during public matches.  And I have no idea as to why you can't even see the names of your oponents.  There are no ranking or user boards either, so really there is pretty much no reason at all to be playing Brawl online in public matches.

Friend matches are a bit better as you have more variety.  More modes of play and you can use your customized taunts and see the name of your oponents.  But it still seems rather stupid that voice chat is not supported.  And it's ridiculous that you need to share a second friend code in order to play with your friends.

Really, I was done with the online multiplayer after a week.  There just not enough incentive to go back.  Brawl should only be played locally.

Hopefully Nintendo has learned somthing and their next online title, Mario Kart, wont suck as much.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2008, 05:10:55 PM »
You can't use customized taunts during anonymous matches because Nintendo doesn't want anyone being exposed to derogatory language unless they've already "sanctioned" listening to that language via friend code entries.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2008, 05:33:36 PM »
I like that Brawl has no voice chat because I faced too much agony with voice chat in Halo 3, Shadow Run on the 360 and COD4 and Resistance:FOM on the PS3. When I play Warhawk it's surprising how not a lot of people use voice chat.

Back to topic: The online in brawl isn't the best thing in the world but it is far from the worst. I think its even cool that there is a spectator mode and you can bet on players(ZOMG nintendo is teaching kiddies that gambling is fun!)
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2008, 08:57:39 PM »
Back to topic: The online in brawl isn't the best thing in the world but it is far from the worst. I think its even cool that there is a spectator mode and you can bet on players(ZOMG nintendo is teaching I am a terrible poaster. s that gambling is fun!)

Its far from the worst, yes, but could have been MUCH better. Even if we were warned to expect lag with players living very far from each other it is VERY surprising that even players that are living right next to each other are getting slideshows for battles.

Worst of all, Nintendo's solution is to "wait it out". That will not happen as the game is still selling by the thousands and every day there are new players joining the ranks.

Logic dictates that when there are way too many people playing at the same time you take action and try to remedy this. But Nintendo has looked the other way.

Not only that, Mario Kart Wii looks to deliver as much more satisfying online experience. I remember Sakurai said that doing  leaderboards was hard and couldn't make it in time. Yet, MK Wii is going to have one and MORE.

Brawl is the product of misplaced priorities. Its great that they got 4 player battles with all items, all stages and all options available, but Nintendo should have been better prepared and deliver at the very least a clean online experience.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Jiggy37

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2008, 11:26:43 PM »
I can generally get pretty decent battles with most of the people on my list (which is full; the 64 person limit really, really annoys me). Not lagless, though I've had maybe eight of those out of my two hundred matches or so, but the lag isn't horrible. Still, there's inconsistency. By this I mean that it's entirely possible that one day I could feel no lag while the person on the other end feels heavy lag, and the other day the situation would be reversed. Because of that, it's been difficult to get a handle on which people I play against are legitimately the best and worst. Whether I win or lose, or by how much, I'll never know how strongly a match result was influenced by the lag, and that makes me sad. I've started to lean pretty heavily toward free-for-alls and three-way matches for just that reason; if I can't get any conclusive results, might as well just play for a good time and random laughs. (I still turn off the items, though, even more often now than before since there are so many exceptionally powerful ones.)

But I will say that despite having it generally "fairly good," I've also had my share of uber lag, ranging from the stuttery pause-every-six-seconds battles to the "65% speed" brawls to the 1.5-second button input delay matches to one particularly noteworthy Rumble Falls friends match where the screen literally froze up for--without exaggeration--a good minute before all four of us resumed normal playing. Bizarre stuff.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2008, 11:29:04 PM by Jiggy37 »

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2008, 11:47:38 PM »
Not only that, Mario Kart Wii looks to deliver as much more satisfying online experience. I remember Sakurai said that doing  leaderboards was hard and couldn't make it in time. Yet, MK Wii is going to have one and MORE.

MK Wii will likely have the same lag issues.

Someone on NWR tried a game of online Strikers recently and the lag was unplayable because the Strikers servers and Brawl's servers are all Gamespy servers, and MK Wii's servers will ALSO be Gamespy servers, still congested with the lag of Brawl.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2008, 12:10:52 AM »
Goddamn Gamespy.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Ndolger

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2008, 01:00:58 AM »
Absolute garbage. I don't have a bad connection, and I have never had a problem playing any other online game...ever. For god's sake I had less lag with online games during the DREAMCAST ERA.

I have port forwarded, static IP'd my Wii with absolutely no results. I cannot play a game with my friend who lives 5 miles away without 2 second lag. It is unplayable. Online was supposed to be the crown jewel of this game, and it's so bad CHU CHU ROCKET looks at it and laughs. And it's not just lag problems. The interface is retarded, there is no communication.

Would it be so hard to implement a lobby function? Where I might be able to you know...let somebody know I'm planning on starting a game without having to physically call them on the phone? How about Nintendo actually put to use the USB Keyboard support they added for this so many months ago. It's REALLY not that hard to do. The lack of any ranking system also makes it pointless. I was so hyped about online and it's been such a let down.

"With Anyone" is a laughing stock. Yes, let me play a 2 minute match...so thrilling. Wait don't let me see their name it might offend me. Wait don't let me know if I'm even playing a computer, I might cry if I see someone D/C. POKEMON lets you see someone's name for crying out loud.

Friend Codes has been beaten to death but I won't go there...other than to say they're stupid.

It makes me furious when I think we could have had a much better online experience if only Sakurai would have dropped Subspace Emissary for the casual crowd and have actually put forth effort into a mode that people would be playing 5-6 years down the line. What? You plan on playing SSE for a half a decade? Oh sorry to have offended you...

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2008, 01:13:12 AM »
It makes me furious when I think we could have had a much better online experience if only Sakurai would have dropped Subspace Emissary for the casual crowd and have actually put forth effort into a mode that people would be playing 5-6 years down the line. What? You plan on playing SSE for a half a decade? Oh sorry to have offended you...

That's what we've been saying ALL ALONG!

Although I doubt the SSE mode was created for the casual in mind (it DOES have multiple difficulty settings), Sakurai did want an expanded single player mode in the game, something Miyamoto was against.

Its great that we get all of these extra single player options, but imagine how polished and fantastic the game would have been had the focus been on the multiplayer options.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2008, 02:21:12 AM »
I can't connect to my best friend in Washington, who was the main reason I wanted online play in the first place.
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline Nephilim

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2008, 05:06:59 AM »
I played with people with friend codes and wasnt that bad, only time it lagged was one time that i forgot to turn utorrent off

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2008, 05:51:04 AM »

That's what we've been saying ALL ALONG!

Although I doubt the SSE mode was created for the casual in mind (it DOES have multiple difficulty settings), Sakurai did want an expanded single player mode in the game, something Miyamoto was against.

Its great that we get all of these extra single player options, but imagine how polished and fantastic the game would have been had the focus been on the multiplayer options.

And let's not forget the strange circumstances of Brawl's development. I mean... they had an RPG company help them make this game?!? No offense to Game Art, but they're not HAL or EAD.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2008, 06:28:10 AM »

MK Wii will likely have the same lag issues.

Someone on NWR tried a game of online Strikers recently and the lag was unplayable because the Strikers servers and Brawl's servers are all Gamespy servers, and MK Wii's servers will ALSO be Gamespy servers, still congested with the lag of Brawl.

Aren't the servers regional? So would this mean me playing Mario Kart Wii or Strikers with my friend up in Manchester would be severely affected by several hundred thousand people in america, playing Brawl?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 08:00:55 AM by Plugabugz »

« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2008, 07:52:46 AM »
My experience has been a complete gamble online.  Having to be online at the same time to just register each other is dumb to start with.  The only good matches I've had were with my friend in New York (I'm in Central PA)  Even then it can be a coin toss if the system will give the OK that we're both online.  I only ever played 'With Anyone' successfully at 3am, the day of launch.  I believe that's because the system hadn't been hammered into oblivion yet.
I agree that MK Wii will suffer the same fate as Brawl, it's not like they've been quick to add more servers.
I would like to note that the only reason 'Spectate' works is because you're just being sent replay data.  Besides the fact that it's not laggy, it's what the check box for allowing Spectate states.
Fortunately, I didn't buy this game for online.  Local play is fantastic, and since my gf will play Brawl, unlike Melee, I always have someone to play.
Life is good

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 07, 2008, 09:40:51 AM »
I've played Americans from Australia with a little bit of lag, but definitely playable. One match I had was a real slide show, but the rest have been above my expectations. I'm using the Nintendo WiFi USB connector and it gives me a reliable connection.

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 07, 2008, 11:40:35 AM »
Aren't the servers regional? So would this mean me playing Mario Kart Wii or Strikers with my friend up in Manchester would be severely affected by several hundred thousand people in america, playing Brawl?

Do you mean Manchester, England or Manchester, New Hampshire?

Either way, if people are playing Brawl over the same servers as they're playing Strikers, you'll be lagged to hell, yes.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline vherub

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2008, 12:10:19 PM »
This is a sad thread to read. Don't have brawl, but have strikers. Didn't play too much online but don't recall it being that laggy.
What really worries me is mario kart. I'm really looking forward to online matches, and if they have as much trouble as brawl, it will be a broken feature.

Offline decoyman

• is a raging alcoholic (and Moppy's #1 fan)
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2008, 01:44:16 PM »
My online experience has degraded to slideshows, even with a friend who lives just a few hours away. I'm on a high-speed cable connection, so that shouldn't be any issue. Maybe I'll try some of these other things (static IPs, etc.) that people are suggesting. Regardless, I haven't played online in about 5 days now since it's been so disappointing.

May my sacrifice of bandwidth usage help some others, or something!
Twitter
3DS Friend Code: 3067-7420-5671 (Aaronaut)

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #49 on: April 07, 2008, 02:56:42 PM »
BWii plays fantastically onrine.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.